IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

well, it probably prefers higher amps (the Teradak is 1A, I believe), although its smps is only 0.6a/ 9V. Hmm..

Noticing a big difference in price between Intel 520-DA and Lenovo Thinkpad Intel 520-DA, which is almost a third of the former's new price. The Lenovo's seem a bargain.

Go for the best bargain. I may have got a bad Mellanox but my x520 is far far more stable in my fanless NAA -- it can also be configured for direct iScSI boot without having to go through iPXE like the Mellanox Connectx-2 requires. You do need to get a compatible SFP: the Intel E10GSFPSR (or LR for single mode) -- there are others which are compatible and there is a list published by Intel if you want to google

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Regardless of the technicalities behind the two modes, has anyone found single mode to actually sound better than multi mode (over short living room distances)?

Maybe :)

Honestly if there is any difference it's subtle and given the number of things I've recently tested I have no way of knowing if I just prefer bright yellow cables over Aqua. The prices for SFPs and cables are cheap enough that I encourage anyone who is curious to test for themselves.

Ok I decided to jump on the optical bandwagon to see for myself the difference it makes.

For me quality comes before cost so I've been searching for some quality solutions. I found 1 company named Perle who appears to make some pretty good gear in this category.

Has anyone used their products for audio yet?

http://estore.perle.com/gigabit-media-converters.aspx

If anyone has any higher quality recommendations, I'm very open to hear about them.

Thanks.

Has anyone tried one of these?

Dell McData ES 4400 16 Port Fiber Switch | eBay

No, but a number of people have tried the "Diablo" SFP switch (8 ports). We have found OEM versions:

9 ports Gigabit Ethernet Optical Fiber Switch with 8 SFP ports and 1*10/100/1000Mbps RJ45-in Network Switches from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

This (taobao) site is in chinese -- I use with google translate: FT

This accepts 5-12V LPS power.

Ok I decided to jump on the optical bandwagon to see for myself the difference it makes.

For me quality comes before cost so I've been searching for some quality solutions. I found 1 company named Perle who appears to make some pretty good gear in this category.

Perle is reportedly a solid company and while I don't own any I would expect a good product. Its hard to say whether "high end" fiberoptics are necessary or even beneficial for audio. I have a Brocade vdx6720-24 switch which does a lot but 10gbe is not necessary (on the other hand as a video editing SAN ...).

I also use single mode fiber close to the audio hardware but not sure that is necessary. LPS also near the audio hardware. I advise people to try something simple and see if you hear a difference in your own system. You will also notice that a good server grade NIC will offload iSCSI/Ethernet CRC calculations and thus reduce your CPU overhead. If you hear a difference, then you can expand what you implement. After my preliminary investigations, I am wiring my entire house in fiber as well as vibration isolating all my equipment (including servers).

Yeah read that after. But now I'm curious if this SAN network stuff can somehow be used for audio.

FC is a good protocol ... from a practical POV, not so easy to integrate FC and Ethernet networks. For audio, I use SMB and iSCSI as my network protocols.

I got two MC220L and powered them with a Terradak LPS. Unfortunately the 5V out of the Teradak X2 didn´t work properly (the LPS turned very hot and the 5V out stopped working). Now I am using the 12V out of the Teradak for one M220L and a 5V Anker battery for the other - and it sounds really fine.

The result is lower noisefloor, leaner and clearer sound at the same time, slightly more details. I am using a Regen with SBooster Ultra and LPS, Totaldac USB-cable, Totaldac recklocker, Blue Jeans CAT 6a - but it was still a big difference.

I got two MC220L and powered them with a Terradak LPS. Unfortunately the 5V out of the Teradak X2 didn´t work properly (the LPS turned very hot and the 5V out stopped working).

Yep, that 220L seems to be very demanding of a power supply- made my Teradak U9VA 'boiling' at both 5V or 9V, although doesn't stop working like with your X2

Now I am using the 12V out of the Teradak for one M220L

It works at 12V? The supplied smps is 9V and the manual also mentions 5V, but no mention of 12V

Hi there, after having read through this and other related threads I've decided to try the fiber way too on my SQP + NAA system. I was considering purchasing the optical switch several of you have suggested (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-9-ports-Gigabit-Ethernet-Optical-Fiber-Switch-with-eight-SFP-ports/32289862298.html) and run it in single mode. However, someone has alerted me to the fact that not all SFP modules may be compatible with this (or other) switch. Can you please advise on that point? I thought it would be enough that the SFP module is a 1000Base-LX LC-LC. Should I look also to other specs? Thanks for your help and congratulation for the super interesting experience you are conducting!

Yep, that 220L seems to be very demanding of a power supply- made my Teradak U9VA 'boiling' at both 5V or 9V, although doesn't stop working like with your X2

Wow, using two Cisco SM SFP's into my two 220L's and, hey bingo, my U9VA now runs almost cool at 9 volts. So either MM is less efficient or my two examples are faulty. Good news anyhow for the longevity of my U9VA.

As for any SQ differences, I will compare in due course

Wow, using two Cisco SM SFP's into my two 220L's and, hey bingo, my U9VA now runs almost cool at 9 volts. So either MM is less efficient or my two examples are faulty. Good news anyhow for the longevity of my U9VA.

Your MM may be faulty. I've had good luck with both SM and MM Ciscso SFPs ... as well as Finisar and Brocade/Foundry labelled. The FMCs as well as the 8 port SFP switch are pretty liberal about what they accept (1000base-SX 1000base-LX) ... they often accept fiberchannel spec SFPs as well.

Hi there, after having read through this and other related threads I've decided to try the fiber way too on my SQP + NAA system. I was considering purchasing the optical switch several of you have suggested (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-9-ports-Gigabit-Ethernet-Optical-Fiber-Switch-with-eight-SFP-ports/32289862298.html) and run it in single mode. However, someone has alerted me to the fact that not all SFP modules may be compatible with this (or other) switch. Can you please advise on that point? I thought it would be enough that the SFP module is a 1000Base-LX LC-LC. Should I look also to other specs? Thanks for your help and congratulation for the super interesting experience you are conducting!

Hi xrobbo,

On the aliexpress site, you can find the same switch with a set of 8 SFP. With those you will be sure of the result. They accept 1310n single mode fiber.

Love these batteries. I also leave mine charging (I have the 1st version Anker's). These have the best price/performance.

Previously with my MC-220L I had tried them with the included wall wart and an Anker Battery (Astro Pro 2 & PowerCore models). Recently I picked up a 5V & 9V LPS for another power source to try.

In another post, I liked the sound with the Anker over the Wall Wart. After living with the Anker for a couple weeks, I swapped it out for the Wall Wart. Very similar sound in my rig, but while it seemed the noise floor was lower with the Anker, the highs had "a sound" that the Wart did not. It was not grunge, but a high frequency addition to playback.

(I forget where, but someone did mention a "high frequency" issue with these type of batteries due to how their circuit produces their output. I also discuss this with an audio vendor who is up to date with everything battery and audio. They too talked about this high frequency occurrence as the possible source of the noise/addition.)

The 5V & 9V LPS arrived and tried both on the 220L - really no difference that I could tell between the two supplies. Using either the 5V or 9V LPS they both are only slightly warm on top center of case. So now one LPS @ 5V powers one 220L.

The 9V LPS, I made a splitter and I am powering two 220L off one LPS @ 9V. This case is about same temp as the 5V case. No worries.

I think the Anker pro has switching circuitry which conceivably might have an audible effect. The Anker batteries I've used are simply 5V.

I am using a combination of these an 5v LPS. An advantage of individual battery per component supply is that they don't share common ground and hence enable complete galvanic isolation between powered components.

Hi Jabbr, can you elaborate on that? I'm setting up an optical network which requires inevitably a lot of power supplies. I thought taking care of the PS of the optical converter close to the NAA (and maybe that of the optical switch) would have been enough, especially if the whole stereo gear has its own dedicated electrical line and is filtered through a power conditioner. Now, you seem to imply that even in this conditions SPS before the optical switch may affect sound through ground. Is that correct?

But then what is the difference between the noise introduced by a router or an optical converter optically uncoupled and that introduced by another SPS that may appear to be in the same apartment?

I think the Anker pro has switching circuitry which conceivably might have an audible effect. The Anker batteries I've used are simply 5V.

I am using a combination of these an 5v LPS. An advantage of individual battery per component supply is that they don't share common ground and hence enable complete galvanic isolation between powered components.

The Astro Pro 2 has three 5V outputs on it (only ones I used), and also has 9V/12V output (special cable - not typical USB to Barrel cables). The Power Cores are strictly 5V output. The Pro2 did sound different than then PowerCore's but both have the same detrimental affect on the overall sound in my rig. I have to find the information where the conversion from "X" volts to 5V in these contributes to this affect I am hearing. I will post if and when - LOL - I can find it again.

Now I have to save up for a JS-2 to power my DAC as it needs a 5V/4A supply for it.