IGNORED

Music for testing Audio Equipment

On 4/9/2021 at 8:44 PM, PAP said:

Truly enjoying this one. This is a great album. Superb one mic. The most intimate yet of all the one mic albums.

spacer.png      AMULET DOWNLOAD

Very great album indeed. 

I'm completely into Paul Berner at the moment, as I'm enjoying his latest released recording with Monty Alexander as well as his previous Sound Liaison albums.

The Road to Memphis download is one of my all time favorite audiophile downloads spacer.png

and for pure straight ahead jazz his work with Monty on Live at Bubbas is so very enjoyable.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 11:38 AM, christian u said:

Very great album indeed. 

I'm completely into Paul Berner at the moment, as I'm enjoying his latest released recording with Monty Alexander as well as his previous Sound Liaison albums.

The Road to Memphis download is one of my all time favorite audiophile downloads spacer.png

and for pure straight ahead jazz his work with Monty on Live at Bubbas is so very enjoyable.

spacer.png

It is a very nice album indeed and the young Mr. Berner is cookin'!.

Great to see where such a master musician is coming from. He learned from the best.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 6:52 PM, christian u said:

Just get The Visual Sound  from SOUND LIAISON.  It has a great variation of superbly well recorded tracks.

spacer.png

Gary Galo wrote a very interesting article about it in AUDIOEXPRESS Audioxpress. recording-review-taking-a-listen-to-sound-liaison-s-dxd-music-sampler

Here is yet another great review of the sampler;Sound Liaison is challenging the possibilities of current recording technology. A fabulous one-mic recording.

This is a superb recording in every respect: tonal balance, timing, spatial delineation etc. And it’s a pleasure to listen to!

No Spotify, no Tidal

Note that the albums by the Sound Liaision are not available on streaming services such as Spotify and Tidal. Why? Here’s the explanation: “Because the audio quality on these streaming sites is simply not good enough, and the music of the Sound Liaision does not fit the spotify mould where the chorus of a song tends to start within 15-30 seconds. A slight effort in order to obtain the music, makes the searcher value more the music itself. And last but not least, we want to pay our artists their fair share of the profits being made.”

For more information:

www.soundliaison.com

The album is available at soundliaison.bandcamp.com in 24/192 flac for higher formats go to the Sound Liaison site

Very interesting, Thanks for posting. The 2 reviewers agree on several points. However the 2nd review is partly wrong in so far that it's only a part of the sampler that is made with only one mic.

The Witmer album, "Free",  (a personal favorite of mine) is a multi mic album and so is the Carmen Gomes sings the Blues and a couple more. Great sounding all of them but not "One Mic".

I witnessed a friend of mine download the sampler from the https://soundliaison.bandcamp.com/ site and I must say it works very well that site.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/9/2020 at 1:30 PM, christian u said:

The new Carmen Gomes DXD bespoken in Joe Whips fine article; https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/sound-liaison-one-mic-recording-r957/

should be mentioned here, if not for the music and the excellent SQ then at least for the 27hz low bass note opening the album.

Talking about bottom!

This is what I wrote about the RedBook CD version I bought from Carmen's CARMEN GOMES BANDCAMP site. (DXD and other formats are now available from SOUND LIAISON  site.

spacer.png

The album has been nominated for album of the Year by Native DSD

• 2 weeks later...

The selection offered by the OP is nice. My experience is that typical "audiophile" playlists which focus exclusively on modern amplified and heavily produced music are not really helpful in assessing the quality of a system. 

Here is an example of the type of playlist I am referring to:

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/14d2b4e5-4a02-44b6-9f63-65d7109e82db

This is what this youtube "influencer" uses:

This music will sound good on most systems. But most of the music lacks rich  instrumental timbers so you cannot evaluate how resolving a system truly is. There is going to be much more musical information in a good mid-1950s jazz or classical recording than in any of these tracks. 

I have listened to countless systems that sounded spectacular with this type of music but not so great otherwise. As a result many "Audiophile" listening sessions just turn out to be pointless and boring. 

Ultimately, the best thing to do, IMO, is probably simply to listen to music that you enjoy and not believe that you need to use "audiophile" tracks to test your system. This has already been pointed out by some in this thread but it does not hurt to repeat it! 

On 12/29/2021 at 11:23 PM, hopkins said:

The selection offered by the OP is nice. My experience is that typical "audiophile" playlists which focus exclusively on modern amplified and heavily produced music are not really helpful in assessing the quality of a system. 

Agreed!

On 12/29/2021 at 11:23 PM, hopkins said:

IMO, is probably simply to listen to music that you enjoy and not believe that you need to use "audiophile" tracks to test your system.

Enjoy the music as someone said! OTOH it's easy to dismiss this dismiss this playlist and overlook some good choices amongst the over-produced ones. I'm always on the lookout for artists I haven't heard before and tracks which are well recorded with natural acoustics. 👍

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/9/2015 at 8:42 PM, oso said:

I know that some of you disagrees but I think on repeated listening that the ''Little Blue'' download sounds even better than the famed ''Thousand Shades of Blue''

I noticed that you commented on how well mastered the RedBook CD's from Carmen's albums are in another thread. I think that should be mentioned here as a I guess many audiophiles are still perfectly happy with Compact Disks and LP's. A well mastered compact disc played with a good dedicated player on a good system still competes very well with high res downloads.

I do like to get hold of the studio master file in original format when possible but these CD's does sound veru very good indeed.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/9/2021 at 8:44 PM, PAP said:

Truly enjoying this one. This is a great album. Superb one mic. The most intimate yet of all the one mic albums.

spacer.png      AMULET DOWNLOAD

The follow up just got a very fine review in hifi news & record;

spacer.png

“A beautifully uncomplicated recording. This could be an excellent way to find out just how well your system images.”
- HifiNews&Record

• 3 months later...

Michael Moore and Paul Berner are incredible musicians.  These 2 albums, recorded in 2 days are just lovely. This is jazz, but in contrast to what your hear oftentimes hear other jazz musicians do, Michael Moore and Paul Berner dare to make the melody the most important part of each song.

• 4 weeks later...