IGNORED

Article: Geek Speak: How To Build A UPnP / DLNA / OpenHome Renderer For Less Than $100

The UPnP control point on iPhone is the weakest link in this system. Kazoo and others are iPad only. Synology's DS Audio also works, but I can't verify the resolution being streamed as this seems to bypass minimserver and even Synology's own Media Server by logging directly into Audio Station and I don't know its inner workings enough to verify it isn't downsampling.

DS transposes but is easy to stream to mobile devices using Synology. Instead try Audionett IMM or Kinsky on the phone. Sadly no Tidal with those yet.

Reading this through, I realized that this may be the quickest (and least expensive) way for me to improve the quality of USB streaming to my DAC. Today I've got a small Win7 computer with my music and other media library on a couple of internal HDs, running JRiver. Because I use it for ripping, and for downloading, its got anti-virus, firewall, and the usual Windoze utilities that run here and there. I've got a USB line out of that goes to a USB-coax SPDIF converter, because the DAC is about 15 feet away from the computer; with the best USB cable that didn't make me feel like a patsy for buying it, the sound was OK, but much improved when I went to a short high quality USB cable, to the USB-Coax, then the long run to the DAC with coax. With my current DAC, that's OK, since its capability on the SPDIF coax input is somewhat better than the USB input, and I don't currently have any DSD.

I was going to build out one of the CAPS devices, put it really close to the DAC so I could USB connect; DAC upgrade in my future, and the ones on my short list all seem to perform great with USB, and for DSD they all require USB input. That meant I'd have to fiddle more with how to control the new server, how to get music from a download and ripping station to the CAPS server, come up with a new automated multiple backup scheme, and maintain two Windows systems while trying to keep the functionality on the CAPS device limited only to playback.

Seems to me that this might be an equal improvement to signal quality, with lower cost and simpler control. Really good quality CAT6 from my main library (more general purpose) computer to the BB. Use JRiver to stream to the BB over the Ethernet connection. Nice short high quality USB from BB to DAC. That would preserve my ability to control playback with JPlay; keep my media library where it is today.

I'm assuming that the Ethernet connection plus BB would act like a "buffer" in concept for streaming that would avoid the problems of computer activity noise over USB, and I know Ethernet wouldn't break a sweat with a 15 foot run. Am I assuming correctly (I'm a software guy, don't know much about electronics hardware) that this would be significantly close in quality to a Main Server/CAPS implementation in terms of quality of USB signal provided to the DAC?

Regarding drivers; Any USB Audio Class 2.0 DAC will work with Linux. DACs that require proprietary drivers will probably won't. Also, +1 for using MPD. One of the most optimized high quality music players out there.

Hi, I've been trying to get a Lynx Hilo converter working with a BBB (as well as a RaspPi) but nothing seems to work. I tried RuneAudio for both BBB/RPi, and now i tried this approach.

On Lynx's forum they said this: "We don't directly support Linux with any of our products. The LT-USB (Used in the Hilo and Aurora) use USB Audio 2.0 (not the same as USB 2.0), so a class driver that supports USB Audio 2.0 should work with the product."

Lynx Hilo / LT-USB - Linux Drivers - Lynx Support Forum

So either I'm doing something wrong (likely) or one of the above statements are wrong.. Have anyone had any experience with this converter on Linux?

Hi, I've been trying to get a Lynx Hilo converter working with a BBB (as well as a RaspPi) but nothing seems to work. I tried RuneAudio for both BBB/RPi, and now i tried this approach.

On Lynx's forum they said this: "We don't directly support Linux with any of our products. The LT-USB (Used in the Hilo and Aurora) use USB Audio 2.0 (not the same as USB 2.0), so a class driver that supports USB Audio 2.0 should work with the product."

Lynx Hilo / LT-USB - Linux Drivers - Lynx Support Forum

So either I'm doing something wrong (likely) or one of the above statements are wrong.. Have anyone had any experience with this converter on Linux?

The statements are correct ... but not every device actually works with Linux due to bugs/incompatibilities (either in the driver in Linux or the firmware of the device).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The orange case to which Chris links is metal. Others offer plastic cases. Does the metal case offer any advantages (e.g., EMI shielding?) or does it not matter?

I use a black metal case from Tigal: https://www.tigal.com/product/3458 for my BeagleBones - I think it looks very attractive and less obtrusive than the bright yellow colour of the case Chris is using.

I don't think a metal case like this is going to help with EMI by itself. I line my cases with Stillpoints ERS cloth, and I stick rectangles of 3M AB5100S EMC absorber onto the ICs and put a layer of the 3M under to board too. I bought two sheets of the Stillpoints, and a sheet of the 3M and it is enough to treat about 8 small ARM computer cases. So it is quite expensive to just do a single case, but pretty cheap if you do several of them like I've done. I also use a cheap Stontronics linear PSU, rather than a switching PSU to try and cut down on noise.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Richard Dale

Which model of the power supply are you using? S2226ST ?

Yes, that's the one:

Ac-Dc Linear Psu, 5v 1a Universal: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It has a UK plug, and I don't know if there are equivalent budget linear PSUs with Euro or USA plugs. I don't know how good it is without being able to measure it. I suspect that the AQVOX PSU is better, although more expensive, and it has an IEC socket for a mains lead. I use an AQVOX to power the Bel Canto uLink that I use with one of the BeagleBones, and the logical upgrade for me might be to get another one and solder a 5.5/2.1 mm power jack onto it.

I bought two of these Anker Astro E5 battery phone chargers to try as PSUs:

Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E5 16000mAh 2-Port Portable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I need a couple of USB A to 5.5/2.1 mm power jack cables though before I can give them a go with the BeagleBones.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Chris, thank you so much for creating this latest image file download. I tried to set this up a few months ago 3 times and failed. I had given up but tried again after your talk at the Minnesota Audio Society last night. I am listening now to the Beaglebone and I think it sounds fantastic. My old server is now a boat anchor!

Mike

It should be easy to change the output device in the mpd.conf file but I haven't tested streaming audio through this port.

Hi Chris - this is great stuff. I have a kit on the way. Sorry for the noob question: How do you access the mpd.conf file and make the change to HDMI?

Thanks!

I've finally got it worked beautifully with Aune T1 DAC (but not with Audioengine D1). Thanks for your prompt reply and a great guide.

1. I have a Geek Out 450 DSD DAC coming. Does anybody know whether or not it'll work with BBB?

2. The sound comes out from Aune T1 is rather low, I have to turn volume up to 80-100% to have what I've used to listen to at 30-50% coming directly from a Windows 8.1 PC. Is it normal, or should I adjust something else?

3. Can I skip JRiver on my Windows 8.1/Mac Yosemite and listen directly to my music stored on Synology NAS? If I can, a brief instruction is very kindly appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

I have problem with NetAudio.

I installed the system from SD card. I can see NetAudio in Jriver and BubbleUPnP. When I try send music to NetAudio - It plays 6 sec of each song and go to next. But there is silence in loudspeakers.

I can log in to the NetAudio through PUTTY. I can see its WEB site (192.168.0.109).

But it doesn't work as it should.

Can You help me ? What am I doing wrong ?

PP AUDIO (PPA USB, LINEAR POWER SUPPLY, DESIGNED FOR AUDIO) + DAPHILE + WIMP HI-FI -> OPPO BD-105D AS DAC -> Musical Fidelity kW500 -> MAGNEPAN MG 1.7 + VELODYNE EQ-MAX10

I have problem with NetAudio.

I installed the system from SD card. I can see NetAudio in Jriver and BubbleUPnP. When I try send music to NetAudio - It plays 6 sec of each song and go to next. But there is silence in loudspeakers.

I can log in to the NetAudio through PUTTY. I can see its WEB site (192.168.0.109).

But it doesn't work as it should.

Can You help me ? What am I doing wrong ?

What audio device do you have connected to the unit?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I assume there is no way to configure the HDMI port as I2S for use with PS Audio and similar DACs that use HDMI connectors for that purpose? (I'd be shocked but you've worked so many miracles already.)

Unfortunately no. However, there is an I2S output on the board. I'm sure someone could make an add-on piece to convert this :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png