IGNORED

Article: Geek Speak: How To Build A UPnP / DLNA / OpenHome Renderer For Less Than $100

What audio device do you have connected to the unit?

Everything is OK ! ;-)

The problem was with computer with Jriver (wrong DNS).

NetAudio plays quieter than my PC (with Daphile) over USB !

I assume that NetAudio is not bitperfect ...

PP AUDIO (PPA USB, LINEAR POWER SUPPLY, DESIGNED FOR AUDIO) + DAPHILE + WIMP HI-FI -> OPPO BD-105D AS DAC -> Musical Fidelity kW500 -> MAGNEPAN MG 1.7 + VELODYNE EQ-MAX10

Unfortunately no. However, there is an I2S output on the board. I'm sure someone could make an add-on piece to convert this :~)

Thanks Chris. That's what I thought. It would be great if someone would come up with an I2S adaptor that is easy to implement. I won't hold my breath.

This is 100% but perfect as long as the volume is set to 100.

Volume is set to max and NetAudio plays quieter.

PP AUDIO (PPA USB, LINEAR POWER SUPPLY, DESIGNED FOR AUDIO) + DAPHILE + WIMP HI-FI -> OPPO BD-105D AS DAC -> Musical Fidelity kW500 -> MAGNEPAN MG 1.7 + VELODYNE EQ-MAX10

A friend told me:

There should not be /etc/asound.conf,

and /etc/mpd.conf is to appeal to the device hw: X, Y.

Of course, ReplayGain and volume normalization should be disabled.

mixer set to 100%, both ALSA and in MPD.

Is the system configured in this way ?

Is MPD linked to pulseaudio (standard in Debian) ?

Everything is OK ! ;-)

I found the same thing, low audio level, when I first turned on the NetAudio devise. I found that there are settings in Jriver (19)under media network that sets the options on the renderer. I made the changes and the max volume was the same as my direct PC USB output.

hope this helps,

If this is the case it's a limitation with the HDMI output only I don't know how to work around.

From what I can tell, the clock on the board only does the 48k family which I'm sure impact the HDMI. It looks like that also applies to I2S though I wonder if most I2S applications can operate it as a slave unit. Ie where the dac's clock controls the data flow (like USB).

Everything is OK ! ;-)

How did you fix the problem you had? I'm having the exact problem: a few seconds of a track then goes to the next track, etc

Building an open embedded audio applicance. - diyAudio

This began with Rpi, but is now BBB. The boards are about to be released.

Thanks Chris. That's what I thought. It would be great if someone would come up with an I2S adaptor that is easy to implement. I won't hold my breath.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I progressed just fine and saw all of the appropriate responses described in the article until I hooked it up to my computer, and JRiver does not see NetAudio. It does see my AVR, so not sure why the disconnect. I have tried both a direct ethernet connection to my computer, and via the network switch which is how my AVR is connected. Any advice?

Thanks, John

I progressed just fine and saw all of the appropriate responses described in the article until I hooked it up to my computer, and JRiver does not see NetAudio. It does see my AVR, so not sure why the disconnect. I have tried both a direct ethernet connection to my computer, and via the network switch which is how my AVR is connected. Any advice?

Thanks, John

Try unplugging your DAC, then rebooting the renderer by pulling the power.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Try unplugging your DAC, then rebooting the renderer by pulling the power.

Thank you Chris. I had two DAC's with which to experiment and had two problems it turns out. In the first case JRiver could not see the player because it was linked by ethernet directly to the computer playing JRiver, but not to the network, which I did not understand at first. I would have to create another access point to tie it all together, if I understand this correctly, but I will tackle that later. Meanwhile in the second case the player was connected to the network switch so JRiver could see it, but the sound was wrong. That was solved by switching a JRiver setting from "Convert audio if necessary" to "Don't convert audio" in Options, Media Network, Client Options (when connected to a library server), Audio Conversion. How my original setting was not BeagleBone Black friendly I don't know, I am too new to this. I am trying to leave an attachment showing the JRiver Options screen, but not sure if that will work. Final words, it works very very well, this powerful little device is a real help, thanks!!

IMG_0492.jpg

Did some A/B comparsions of this vs. the SoTM-SMS100 in my main system Differences are basically it loses resolution for background instruments and softens percussion instruments... wood blocks tend to have a soft splat vs a hard knock. Still loving this as a portable option for headphone station

Curious ... How were you powering both of them?

I found a nice improvement with a linear power supply over the small switcher originally quoted in the article. This renderer configuration was a big improve over a stock Mac Mini USB out.

What linear supply did you use and where did you get it? Thanks.