IGNORED

Article: Geek Speak: How To Build A UPnP / DLNA / OpenHome Renderer For Less Than $100

Thanks kumakuma.

The only way this is possible is through the use of a USB hub. I haven't tried it yet. The port you are looking at is actual microHDMI.

The specs say there is a miniUSB port and a microHDMI port. I assumed that the one on the same side as the LAN port was the HDMI and the one below the USB was the miniUSB. Hard to tell from the photo though.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Chris ... please take this question completely as its written without any criticism, etc.

Do you feel that your setup has any benefit over the more established https://volumio.org or RuneAudio - Embedded Hi-Fi music player

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The specs say there is a miniUSB port and a microHDMI port. I assumed that the one on the same side as the LAN port was the HDMI and the one below the USB was the miniUSB. Hard to tell from the photo though.

Ahhhhhhhhhh! I wasn't thinking. Of course there is a miniUSB as that's another way to power the board! Now back to your original question. I suppose it's possible to run it wirelessly. Oh great, another thing to look into :~)

Thanks for correcting me!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Ahhhhhhhhhh! I wasn't thinking. Of course there is a miniUSB as that's another way to power the board! Now back to your original question. I suppose it's possible to run it wirelessly. Oh great, another thing to look into :~)

Thanks for correcting me!

Thanks for confirming, Chris.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Chris ... please take this question completely as its written without any criticism, etc.

Do you feel that your setup has any benefit over the more established https://volumio.org or RuneAudio - Embedded Hi-Fi music player

Eloise

Hi Eloise - Good question. I've used those distributions in the past and think they are great. My setup has no intrinsic benefit over those options. I elected to use the option I'm using mainly because it enables me to easily create preconfigured downloadable images that can automatically be flashed to the onboard eMMC of the BBB. (enabling the user to remove the SD card).

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks for confirming, Chris.

Do you know of a miniUSB to USB B cable for connecting to a DAC? Or, do you know of a miniUSB adapter that would enable me to connect the USB wireless card to the adapter and still use the regular USB port for the DAC?

Edit: I guess this adapter would work for a USB wireless card - > http://www.amazon.com/USB-Female-Mini-Male-Adapter/dp/B0016RNX2I

Eloise

I use stock Voyage MuBox on my two BeagleBones:

Supported Boards | Voyage MuBox

It is set up to use Zeroconf so that you don't need to do any configuration in an MPD client app, such as MPoD or MPaD.

I've used RuneAudio and Volumio on a couple of I2S Raspberry Pi DAC cards - the Wolfson and the IQAudio PiDAC. That was a great combination, especially the PiDAC which sounded the best.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

...Chris..whilst this hardware solution looks awesome I feel a multiroom project will break down on the software side. Why isn't there still to this day a stable well supported UPnP control point software solution for mac and iOS? Which supports all formats 24/192 and DSD gapless? These are the most common pieces of control hardware... JRiver is way too complicated for this sort of simple task. Wap.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

...Chris..whilst this hardware solution looks awesome I feel a multiroom project will break down on the software side. Why isn't there still to this day a stable well supported UPnP control point software solution for mac and iOS? Which supports all formats 24/192 and DSD gapless? These are the most common pieces of control hardware... JRiver is way too complicated for this sort of simple task. Wap.

What's so complicated about JRiver?

What would be a good iOS UPnP control point for use with minimserver and a synology NAS?

Being OpenHome compatible you have a wide choice of iOS control points to choose from including Linn Kinsky and Kazoo; Lumin's app; Auralic Lightning DS app and third party apps such as SongBook.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Being OpenHome compatible you have a wide choice of iOS control points to choose from including Linn Kinsky and Kazoo; Lumin's app; Auralic Lightning DS app and third party apps such as SongBook.

Thanks. Looks like Linn's Kinsky is the only one that works on an iPhone, others are iPad only.

A related question, is there a way to tell what resolution that is being streamed via minimserver?

Thanks. Looks like Linn's Kinsky is the only one that works on an iPhone, others are iPad only.

A related question, is there a way to tell what resolution that is being streamed via minimserver?

Some control points show the resolution.

Also you can add "Special Index Tags" to browse by quality and file type, etc.

Eloise

---

Since this image is based on MPD could the Mpad remote app (not a UPNP control point but a damn good JRemote look alike) see this device (similar to how JRemote can still be used if JRIver is the DLNA server)?

Some control points show the resolution.

Also you can add "Special Index Tags" to browse by quality and file type, etc.

Thanks. I wasn't specific enough. I am looking for an indication of what minimserver would be streaming, to make sure no downsampling is happening in the chain.

Yes, fritzg, unless you command Minimstreamer to sample (up or down) the original sample rate is delivered, and most control points report it as either part of the display or part of the info in the information pulldowns.