IGNORED

Article: Geek Speak: How To Build A UPnP / DLNA / OpenHome Renderer For Less Than $100

Having a bad time trying to this to work. No matter my jriver setting tracks don't play. Are there any special port settings?

Is the computer with JRiver connected to internet ? Try set DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Is BBB visible in Windows as multimedia device ?

PP AUDIO (PPA USB, LINEAR POWER SUPPLY, DESIGNED FOR AUDIO) + DAPHILE + WIMP HI-FI -> OPPO BD-105D AS DAC -> Musical Fidelity kW500 -> MAGNEPAN MG 1.7 + VELODYNE EQ-MAX10

This is 100% but perfect as long as the volume is set to 100.

Hmm.

I tried BubbleUPnP ... the volume was set to 100 but BBB was quieter than USB of PC.

I still think that the soft is not bit-perfect ...

PP AUDIO (PPA USB, LINEAR POWER SUPPLY, DESIGNED FOR AUDIO) + DAPHILE + WIMP HI-FI -> OPPO BD-105D AS DAC -> Musical Fidelity kW500 -> MAGNEPAN MG 1.7 + VELODYNE EQ-MAX10

Hmm.

I tried BubbleUPnP ... the volume was set to 100 but BBB was quieter than USB of PC.

I still think that the soft is not bit-perfect ...

Check that volume leveling in your DLNA server settings is not checked.

see http://www.computeraudiophile.com/attachments/f3-article-comments/17563-article-geek-speak-how-build-universal-plug-dplay-digital-living-network-alliance-openhome-renderer-less-%24100-image.jpg

I'm confused. The title says: "UPnP / DLNA / OpenHome Renderer" but the comments lead me to think that MPD in this instance is not configured as a DLNA Renderer.

I'm definitely going to order the parts and do this; I am dying for a OpenHome renderer for my Head-Fi stack, and this seems to fit the bill.

Thanks for posting the complete set of instructions!

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

I'm confused. The title says: "UPnP / DLNA / OpenHome Renderer" but the comments lead me to think that MPD in this instance is not configured as a DLNA Renderer.

I'm definitely going to order the parts and do this; I am dying for a OpenHome renderer for my Head-Fi stack, and this seems to fit the bill.

Thanks for posting the complete set of instructions!

Hi krutsch - The renderer uses a combination of MPD and upmpdcli.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'll add my compliments. Seems like this hardware might be able to be used as an NAA for HQPlayer without a lot of trouble.

Anyone taken a stab at getting this going? I finished my build just a couple of days ago and am enjoying it so far ;) but would love to have the device available as an NAA, as well.

PS - Anyone else having issues with each new stream being garbled? I'm using JRiver MC to play to "Net Audio" but each new song / album starts out garbled (i.e., wrong sample rate, static, etc.) when I hit play. I have to stop that stream, then restart, after which it plays flawlessly until the next stop. Any ideas about this?

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Anyone taken a stab at getting this going? I finished my build just a couple of days ago and am enjoying it so far ;) but would love to have the device available as an NAA, as well.

PS - Anyone else having issues with each new stream being garbled? I'm using JRiver MC to play to "Net Audio" but each new song / album starts out garbled (i.e., wrong sample rate, static, etc.) when I hit play. I have to stop that stream, then restart, after which it plays flawlessly until the next stop. Any ideas about this?

I haven't seen that problem yet. Do you have any other UPnP software to try to see if you can duplication the issue? Just trying to figure out if it's an issue with JRiver or the renderer.

What DAC are you using? USB or HDMI?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I haven't seen that problem yet. Do you have any other UPnP software to try to see if you can duplication the issue? Just trying to figure out if it's an issue with JRiver or the renderer.

What DAC are you using? USB or HDMI?

I'm using an iFi Micro iDSD attached via USB. As I noted, once the stream is started properly, it plays without issue, including all PCM rates I've tried and DSD.

I'll give it a try with Minimserver + some other iOS based UPnP solution to see if I have the same problem and let you know - appreciate your help!

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I'm using an iFi Micro iDSD attached via USB. As I noted, once the stream is started properly, it plays without issue, including all PCM rates I've tried and DSD.

I'll give it a try with Minimserver + some other iOS based UPnP solution to see if I have the same problem and let you know - appreciate your help!

UPDATE: I've now tried with several combinations of server / controller (+ different USB cables, etc.) and still having the glitches.

Pattern is not 100% reproducible, but at least once every 2 or 3 plays, the track starts very garbled - the music is recognizable, but mostly static, usually the wrong tempo, etc. It's as if the streamer and the DAC are not fully in agreement :P as to what sample rate / bit depth the incoming signal is. If you stop playback, wait a second, then try again, it usually (90% of the time) works on the second try.

Tomorrow I may try some other DACs (Geek Out 720, iFi Nano iDSD, etc.) to see if the same problem exists aside from my iFi Micro iDSD. Will let you know what I find out - given we're all using the identical image, it's surprising (to me, at least) that no on else is seeing the issue unless it's simply a glitch in my (very simple) playback chain.

I see it too, mostly the first time I play something in a new listening session, but rarely at other times too. It usually "heals" itself if I stop and start or skip to the next track. Both with foobar2000 and with JRiver MC 19 and 20. If it matters I'm going to a PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

I tested the output and it is bit perfect. I'm trying to think about what's going on in your case.

Volume control sholud be disable to achieve bit-perfect output.

I tried volumio.org. I disabled volume control and now BBB plays as loud as USB of PC.

I am sorry to say but BBB with soft from volumio sounds much better than with soft from CA.

Thanks for idea of cheap streamer but the soft must be improved.

Volume control sholud be disable to achieve bit-perfect output.

I tried volumio.org. I disabled volume control and now BBB plays as loud as USB of PC.

I am sorry to say but BBB with soft from volumio sounds much better than with soft from CA.

Thanks for idea of cheap streamer but the soft must be improved.

Hi Piopio - Volume control does not have to be disabled to achieve bit perfect output. In all cases of all computer audio the volume just needs to be at maximum level.

What DAC are you using?

UPDATE: I've now tried with several combinations of server / controller (+ different USB cables, etc.) and still having the glitches.

Pattern is not 100% reproducible, but at least once every 2 or 3 plays, the track starts very garbled - the music is recognizable, but mostly static, usually the wrong tempo, etc. It's as if the streamer and the DAC are not fully in agreement :P as to what sample rate / bit depth the incoming signal is. If you stop playback, wait a second, then try again, it usually (90% of the time) works on the second try.

Tomorrow I may try some other DACs (Geek Out 720, iFi Nano iDSD, etc.) to see if the same problem exists aside from my iFi Micro iDSD. Will let you know what I find out - given we're all using the identical image, it's surprising (to me, at least) that no on else is seeing the issue unless it's simply a glitch in my (very simple) playback chain.

Thanks for the update.

I see it too, mostly the first time I play something in a new listening session, but rarely at other times too. It usually "heals" itself if I stop and start or skip to the next track. Both with foobar2000 and with JRiver MC 19 and 20. If it matters I'm going to a PS Audio DirectStream DAC.

Thanks for the info.

What DAC are you using?

Oppo BD-105D.

CA - try volumio.org ;-) Compare to your soft and try to resolve problem with volume.

BB should play as loud as USB port without any action.

Thanks for the detailed and accurate guide.

I managed to build the BBB with no trouble.

My first forays into getting it up and running consisted of trying to use an old Grace m902 headphone amp as the D/A and that did not fly. It didn't seem that the "NetAudio" was picked up when plugged into my switch, but it was when plugged directly into my router.

Now that I have a new Schiit Bitfrost, I have successfully completed the audio chain.

I have two questions:

[1] In what ways should JRiver be configured to ensure highest quality?

(2) Does anyone have an example of a better power supply for the BBB? I saw one mentioned from the UK, and the battery pack for the top of the BBB. Any others?

Hi Chris, great article!

A friend of mine who has played with small Linux boxes as renderers (Cubox, PogoPlug E02, etc.) said Archlinux has better SQ than Debian. He has tried Debian Squeeze and Archlinux and believes the latter can render much better tonal balance and better vocal mid-range.

Would you have time to crank out an Archlinux edition of this BBB renderer, to compare with Debian Wheezy?

Cheers.