IGNORED

This I believe -

Paul R

This I Believe -  

302 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So gentlemen, “what do you think” of my example.

Way too long of an explanation where a link to NLP would have done amply.

Secondly, the Highest IQs won't show you any NLP clues for calibration or will deliberately mislead you.

Besides, sbgk was pulling your leg all long. He's a riot!

:^)

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

So gentlemen, “what do you think” of my example.

(grin) I think we poor dumb guys are quite overmatched by you ladies. :)

Seriously, my wife will give in and give in until I come around to doing exactly what she wanted me to do in the first place. With other people she sort of overpowers them. It is impressive to watch.

Unless her eyes start glittering like green lasers. Then it is time to make tracks...

A little more seriously though, I do not think we guys think of seduction in quite the same way. Outside of sexual games, we think of it more like laying a trap, or sucker punching someone - more manly that way. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

(grin)

A little more seriously though, I do not think we guys think of seduction in quite the same way. Outside of sexual games, we think of it more like laying a trap, or sucker punching someone - more manly that way. :)

LOL, and to quote Penny on the Big Bang Theory "And Isn't that just a little bit sad", Ok she was referring to something else but I'm appropriating it and I am not remorseful about doing so. But your pretty much spot on...

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

and who says audio cant be sexy....although in my case I prefer honry DACing with a ladyfriends equipment not a guys. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

I am unable to determine if the word "horny" was spelled incorrectly by interchanging letters or the word "honey" was spelled incorrectly by substituting an "r" for "e". Or do you Aussies prefer to use the word "randy" the way the Brits do? :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I am unable to determine if the word "horny" was spelled incorrectly by interchanging letters or the word "honey" was spelled incorrectly by substituting an "r" for "e". Or do you Aussies prefer to use the word "randy" the way the Brits do? :)

Sorry gents, neither of you got it. It was a play on the term "honey-potting." I believed it meant a woman using her attractiveness to get a guy to agree to do something for her, then revealing that she's actually super-intelligent and had planned everything out for him. Sexist for sure.

Sadly, I just went and Googled it, and the urban dictionary defines it as some entirely different and not suitable for a public forum. So while I meant "honeyDACing" to be enticing you to check out my DAC, if you stick your digits anywhere my DAC I'll cut 'em off! ;)

and who says audio cant be sexy....although in my case I prefer honry DACing with a ladyfriends equipment not a guys. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Edit honey DAcing not horny DACing, a typo but still works ;-0

One must be extraordinarily carfeul not to connect a balanced plug with an unbalanced socket, or vice versa. Can produce many unexpected but very interesting and entertaining side effects. Many of them no doubt, very audible and not at all subtle!

Robert A. Heinlein

One must be extraordinarily carfeul not to connect a balanced plug with an unbalanced socket, or vice versa. Can produce many unexpected but very interesting and entertaining side effects. Many of them no doubt, very audible and not at all subtle!

[With my best James Cagney accent]: Naarrr, who you callin' UNBALANCED?! Why, I ouda socket to 'ya! ;)

P.S. Can anybody tell I've been procrastinating a lot of work today?

Sorry gents, neither of you got it. It was a play on the term "honey-potting." I believed it meant a woman using her attractiveness to get a guy to agree to do something for her, then revealing that she's actually super-intelligent and had planned everything out for him. Sexist for sure.

Sadly, I just went and Googled it, and the urban dictionary defines it as some entirely different and not suitable for a public forum. So while I meant "honeyDACing" to be enticing you to check out my DAC, if you stick your digits anywhere my DAC I'll cut 'em off! ;)

Yeh I got it I think.I first heard the term honey-potting in the movie "Interview", I think thats what they said and used in a sexually suggestive way. I would indeed be pleasured to check out your DAC but as Paul points out there needs to be a clear understanding that mismatched plugs and sockets do not connect up. :-)

Sound Minds Mind Sound

On a more serious note, and to the title of the thread:

I believe that the CA forum, despite occasional rancor, is a vastly more civilized and rational place--populated with genuinely smart and kind people--than that madhouse known as the Asylum. I have not posted there in almost 10 years (am Superdad there too), but once in a great while I drop into threads that come up in a Google search. Every time I do I see every thread instantly devolve into the most hideous sniping--far cruder and in excess of most anything that goes on here.

This is a MUCH friendlier and more thoughtful place. I am happy to have made a home here at CA (very rarely do I post anywhere else at all anymore; sometimes on diyAudio). So a sincere thanks to you all.

Goodnight,

--Alex C.

I believe that the CA forum, despite occasional rancor, is a vastly more civilized and rational place--populated with genuinely smart and kind people--than that madhouse known as the Asylum. I have not posted there in almost 10 years (am Superdad there too), but once in a great while I drop into threads that come up in a Google search. Every time I do I see every thread instantly devolve into the most hideous sniping--far cruder and in excess of most anything that goes on here.

This is a MUCH friendlier and more thoughtful place. I am happy to have made a home here at CA (very rarely do I post anywhere else at all anymore; sometimes on diyAudio). So a sincere thanks to you all.

Goodnight,

--Alex C.

=+1!

Robert A. Heinlein

On this topic of seduction, I believe that positive emotions enhance our musical enjoyment...just like our senses are increased and enjoyment enhanced with positive emotions with a meal/wine/vacation/etc etc etc. We accept that a meal tastes "better" and is more memorable when we are in love than when we are in a fight or have had a really bad day. The exact same food tastes "the best ever" or "terrible" depending on our emotional state.

This is nearly always true and we accept it (and celebrate it on special occasions...and create "artificial" special occasions to "recreate" that feeling and all the "extra" enjoyment it brings: Valentine's Day dinner, anyone?).

Our "experience" of listening is an emotional experience colored far more by our emotions of the moment (even to the degree that we choose certain music that fits our mood) than by other factors.

Oh, and this is half of why live music is so important for us: calibration of live sound is one thing and creating a strong memory-emotion with the music is the other. I love the music of bands I have heard live disproportionally to other factors.

So seduction is not bad, especially if I enjoy the music more as a result.

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I believe that the CA forum, despite occasional rancor, is a vastly more civilized and rational place--populated with genuinely smart and kind people--than that madhouse known as the Asylum.

Yes, but at least the Asylum bears its nature on its sleeves: it's called 'Asylum' and members are 'inmates', so it was from the beginning advertising itself as a madhouse of some sort.

As with all public information, one would do well to sort out the chaff from the wheat.

There are some extremely clever and knowledgeable people over at the AA with probably more knowledge and experience than most of us here, to name but a few:

John Swenson (not telling you anything new here!), Thorsten Loesch, Tony Lauck, Ted Smith.

As usual, there are also nay-sayers and trolls as everywhere else.

But overall, I would say the technical knowledge shared at AA can be much deeper sometimes (we do have out technical knowledgeable people here as well, of course).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

As with all public information, one would do well to sort out the chaff from the wheat.

There are some extremely clever and knowledgeable people over at the AA with probably more knowledge and experience than most of us here, to name but a few:

Absolutely. And I am keenly aware of the names and backgrounds of most of the regulars there, including the engineers and the serious folk. But an awful lot of even their posts are back and forth short shots.

Guess I am just more of a long form prose kind of guy, and enjoy the thoughtfulness of compositions at CA. A lot of AA is like Twitter. Plus, even the engineers and earnest folks are not afforded much respect there. Don't know how Thorsten can stand all the attacks there--though he shows a lot of distain for others himself. I guess it is like any community/school/company/organization: After a while you get used to the culture, develop the required "skin," and fit right in.

On this topic of seduction, I believe that positive emotions enhance our musical enjoyment...just like our senses are increased and enjoyment enhanced with positive emotions with a meal/wine/vacation/etc etc etc. We accept that a meal tastes "better" and is more memorable when we are in love than when we are in a fight or have had a really bad day. The exact same food tastes "the best ever" or "terrible" depending on our emotional state.

This is nearly always true and we accept it (and celebrate it on special occasions...and create "artificial" special occasions to "recreate" that feeling and all the "extra" enjoyment it brings: Valentine's Day dinner, anyone?).

Our "experience" of listening is an emotional experience colored far more by our emotions of the moment (even to the degree that we choose certain music that fits our mood) than by other factors.

Oh, and this is half of why live music is so important for us: calibration of live sound is one thing and creating a strong memory-emotion with the music is the other. I love the music of bands I have heard live disproportionally to other factors.

So seduction is not bad, especially if I enjoy the music more as a result.

Nice post. Thanks.

CA is addictive indeed!

This I believe: Paul Raulerson is addicted to CA.

This I believe: Paul Raulerson is addicted to CA.

lol !

Between this and the "Ban DBT's ??" thread, this place has gotten very funny (amusing) the last few days !

You're doing pretty good so far, just be careful. There are some loose cannons around :)

But, I'm not referring to the posts that go on, and on, and... on... like the usual SNL skit :(

Aren't all sockets unbalanced?

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.

One must be extraordinarily carfeul not to connect a balanced plug with an unbalanced socket, or vice versa.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The Esoteric C-03 preamplifier, for example, was deliberately designed without any balanced inputs because it was deemed to sound best that way. However, there is no problem connecting XLR connectors to the inputs provided for them. If you are referring to plugging one type of connector into a different type of input, I don't see how it would be possible to plug an XLR connector into an RCA input or an RCA connector into an XLR input.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The Esoteric C-03 preamplifier, for example, was deliberately designed without any balanced inputs because it was deemed to sound best that way. However, there is no problem connecting XLR connectors to the inputs provided for them. If you are referring to plugging one type of connector into a different type of input, I don't see how it would be possible to plug an XLR connector into an RCA input or an RCA connector into an XLR input.

[Must keep straight face]

People are endlessly inventive Allan! Someone will find a way... :)

Robert A. Heinlein