IGNORED

This I believe -

Paul R

This I Believe -  

302 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are as many differing opinions about audio subjects as there as people who are interested in the subject. The points of view range all over the board, with pretty much an average of four popular opinions on each subject. Some less, some many more. But one of the wonderful things in our hobby is this - every opinion counts.

The current arguments raging around the Internet are often both polarizing and very rigid. That can make discussing them - unpleasant. So let's try a different approach in this topic. Here's the rules...

(1) Post a one paragraph message in reply to the topic starting with "This I believe - ".

It can be about any audio subject you want. Replies to your message can discuss what your subject, but think twice before you say anything in a reply/discussion to someone's post. Be sure your post addresses the subject and is not your opinion of the person who posted!

(2) You can post as many one paragraph "This I believe - " messages as you want, on as many different subjects as you want.

Please do not attack individuals or specific audio companies in your post, as that is totally not appropriate for this topic.

(3) You are absolutely allowed to change your mind about what you posted in a "This I believe - " message.

That is not an open invitation for people to evangelize you. It is permission to change your mind, for any reason you see fit. :)

There is an attached poll with some subjects you an vote on. The poll is anonymous and will allow multiple choices. If the subject you want to comment on is not there, and it probably will not be, please post a "This I believe - " post. I'll post a couple to give people examples of what I am thinking of.

Most of all - HAVE FUN with this. Personal attacks - from or to anyone - will be flagged as abuse.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

This I believe -Modern AVRs represent a good value and provide great sound for audiophiles.

Inherent in a modern AVR is a preamp that can do some marvelous things, including DSP that correct for many deficiencies in the environment, manage bass output to multiple subwoofers, and depending upon the AVR, drive almost all speakers today, including ones that would present a challenge even to the best amplifiers. Brands such as Integra, Outlaw, NAD, and even Onkyo and Pioneer offer some astoundingly good gear at, in audiophile terms, very reasonable costs.

Robert A. Heinlein

This I believe - DSD is the best format for future recordings and playback.

While hi-res PCM at 24/192K is currently considered the best format for recording by many, the DSD recordings I have heard are literally breathtaking. Even transcoded Redbook PCM, played back as dual rate DSD sounds so much better to me that I simply revel in listening to it. One of my favorite all-time albums, "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds" is so much better in DSD that it is hard to describe. Like listening to vinyl back in the 70s. :)

Robert A. Heinlein

*Great audiophile sound does not have to be expensive. AGREE!

As I dont frequent the site, I have no idea that certain people preach what they believe. lol

Is DSD sound really that night and day difference over hi-res? I dont think we have a dealer here in CLE that have DSD capable DAC.. BUt I'm dying to sample the future of the recording...

~Jason

Macbook black| consonance usb-spdif|Muse NOS DAC | Yamaha A-s700 | Dynaudio audience 52se|

cables: pangea ac9, DH labs Q9 silversonic, chord company crimson interconnect, BJC digital coaxial cable

This I believe - That computer audio is still in its infancy, and that curiosity is the most important aspect of this infancy. Curiosity begets discovery; discovery begets advancement.

I would never have believed, even a few years ago, that things like galvanic isolation, apps on a NAS, DLNA or Schumann resonance would have anything to do with me enjoying music as I do now. I am revisiting my entire large collection due to the above mentioned (and in some cases completely counter-intuitive) aspects of this hobby. Measurements are important verifiers, yes, but some things we yet do not know how to measure (and I believe some things we measure are likely not the right things). So yes, bits are bits...but there is so much more. It's exciting, really.

This I believe - That computer audio is still in its infancy, and that curiosity is the most important aspect of this infancy. Curiosity begets discovery; discovery begets advancement.

This is perfectly said Ted. The posts I appreciate most on this forum are from those who share the view you've expressed. We don't have all the answers - there is just so much that we don't know.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Got stuck on first question.

What is expensive?

LOL, it's not a test. Move on if it's not what you believe anyway. Those are just examples. The poll is somewhat meaningless, but glad Paul put it up cuz it creates a buzz or a controversy enough to read the thread.

I pretty much don't believe *any* of the choices, tho' it depends on the definitions of "expensive" and "really good". Also, there needs to be a more nuanced choice re: cables.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Only the most expensive gear can be considered "high end."

According to Thesaurus.com high end means one of the following:

• chic

• exclusive

• expensive

• sophisticated

• aristocratic

• classy

• cosmopolitan

• dashing

• elegant

• elite

• fancy

• fashionable

• posh

• refined

• ritzy

• sharp

• swank

• exorbitant

• luxuriant

• natty

• premium

• pricey

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

The finest audio systems lead to a sense of discovery of music (and conversely, the poorest audio systems lead to a discovery of meaningless details). We are trying to reproduce music that moves your soul, not run test equipment. The best audio designers have both the technical skill to accomplish the task but also a love of music that drives them to do more and informs them above all else if they are closer to the target.

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Hi Paul,

This I believe - Once the signals are leaving the microphones, everything after the microphones (i.e., mic cables, ac cables, mic preamps, recorder, interconnects, mix--if any, mastering, sample rate or format, speaker cables, speakers, positioning, AC power, power conditioning, vibration isolation, room acoustics, etc.) merely determines how much of what was captured we get to hear.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.wordpress.com

Barry Diament Audio

I would never have believed, even a few years ago, that things like galvanic isolation, apps on a NAS, DLNA or Schumann resonance would have anything to do with me enjoying music as I do now. I am revisiting my entire large collection due to the above mentioned (and in some cases completely counter-intuitive) aspects of this hobby. Measurements are important verifiers, yes, but some things we yet do not know how to measure (and I believe some things we measure are likely not the right things). So yes, bits are bits...but there is so much more. It's exciting, really.

Well said!

I believe audiophiles are better qualified than audiologists and neuroscientists to say what is understood about the physiology of hearing, that they are better qualified than engineers to understand the importance of wires, cables and electronics, and are more able than physicists to make new scientific discoveries about the fundamental nature of the universe from the comfort of their own listening chairs.

Hi Paul,

This I believe - Once the signals are leaving the microphones, everything after the microphones (i.e., mic cables, ac cables, mic preamps, recorder, interconnects, mix--if any, mastering, sample rate or format, speaker cables, speakers, positioning, AC power, power conditioning, vibration isolation, room acoustics, etc.) merely determines how much of what was captured we get to hear.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.wordpress.com

Barry Diament Audio

What I would give to shadow you for a week. Gosh.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

+1

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

This I believe - The quality of the original recording/remastering is much more important than the sample rate or format.

+1

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I believe audiophiles are better qualified than audiologists and neuroscientists to say what is understood about the physiology of hearing, that they are better qualified than engineers to understand the importance of wires, cables and electronics, and are more able than physicists to make new scientific discoveries about the fundamental nature of the universe from the comfort of their own listening chairs.

I believe this too. But I also believe something needs doing about it. I believe these selfish people keep all this special stuff for themselves because it never works anywhere else except under special audio conditions to special audio people. Damn selfish if you ask me.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I believe this too. But I also believe something needs doing about it. I believe these selfish people keep all this special stuff for themselves because it never works anywhere else except under special audio conditions to special audio people. Damn selfish if you ask me.

I believe that one day we'll say "what were those bits are bits guys smoking ?"

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

If what you happen to believe is true, then it is a self correcting situation, so no action is either required or desirable. Audio-Evolution in Action.

il_340x270.622222794_25et.jpg

And if you are wrong, no grey hairs either. :)

Robert A. Heinlein