IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Yes, the packaging is crazy good.

Don't forget, you can also post your comments on the JS-2 here.

Hello jtwrace,

Thank you for the prompt. I have not yet employed the JS-2. As I intend to listen to my system without any UpTone Audio components in line.

I am listening right now as I type to my system "as is". Playing Steve Davis's, Say When, Pro Studio Master download, AIFF 48/24. The production quality is excellent. When I have had sufficient time with as is, I'll add the Regen Amber powered by Mean Well SMPS and compare.

Just wanted to introduce my perspective at the time of the delivery of the whole kit and kaboodle (smile).

Maybe, I won't need the Regen Amber (just kidding a kidder).

If it gets better, I will try to tolerate the improvement.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

I also have to get up enough nerve to do the surgery to install the MMK. I woke up at 3:27AM and actually read the 11 page instructions. I had already visited the iFixit.com site to view the photographs and text assistance. That was intimidating enough. I had to read Alex's (?), John's (?) instructions just to go back to sleep. So I am experiencing an odd juxtaposition between dread (smile) and excitement and a distant voice on (which side of my shoulder) whispering "if you don't f**kitup". (Still smiling.) HELP!

Richard,

I just spent many hours yesterday installing the MMK kit on my 2012 MAC Mini. It all went smoothly, but take your time and do not hurry. Make sure you keep track of all the screws for each component and have good lighting. Be careful on the connectors on the board that Alex warns you about, just lift the connecting cables by the wires and use the plastic tool that is in tool kit.

I happen to have some further documentation from Apple that I can forward to you if you'd like, it is in pdf format.

Good luck, Tony

Richard, I agree with Jason and was going to post that exact sentiment if he didn't. Your pictures and half your post will bring good feedback to the lesser used JS-2 thread.

BTW, if a newbie computer audio person were to look at your signature (which tells the story of most of us, yet we don't have the guts to list everything :) ) he/she would be amazed that music would be able to find its way out of that stuff!

I have no interest in organizing 3D printed cases for the 95 or so people that will have a spare "Green" board. However, if Alex approved it, I could send out the STP file for the case that you can submit to any online printing company to make one. It shouldn't be more than $20 max and you will need to supply 4 screws too.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I also have to get up enough nerve to do the surgery to install the MMK. I woke up at 3:27AM and actually read the 11 page instructions. I had already visited the iFixit.com site to view the photographs and text assistance. That was intimidating enough. I had to read Alex's (?), John's (?) instructions just to go back to sleep. So I am experiencing an odd juxtaposition between dread (smile) and excitement and a distant voice on (which side of my shoulder) whispering "if you don't f**kitup". (Still smiling.) HELP!

Richard,

I just spent many hours yesterday installing the MMK kit on my 2012 MAC Mini. It all went smoothly, but take your time and do not hurry. Make sure you keep track of all the screws for each component and have good lighting. Be careful on the connectors on the board that Alex warns you about, just lift the connecting cables by the wires and use the plastic tool that is in tool kit.

I happen to have some further documentation from Apple that I can forward to you if you'd like, it is in pdf format.

Good luck, Tony

Hello Tony,

Thank you. Appreciate your thoughts and counsel. I'll PM you my email address and would appreciate the pdf.

Best,

Richard

Had someone pre-set the JS-2 to correspond with my intended use given the optional custom DC cable for the JS-2 to Regen Amber was part of the order?

Yup, that would be me. I try to anticipate intended use.

While I thank you for all your kind words Richard, I must point out that there are still two very embarrassing omissions to the otherwise complete package. As JS-2 owners have seen--but strangely none have commented upon--the supply still does not come with an Owner's Manual. I have written drafts of one, and I certainly can think of a bunch of additional tips and cautions that should go into it, but between being busy and having a bit of perfectionist writer's block (things I write for permanent publication I end up taking many hours to write and graphically lay out), it just has not happened yet. But it will.

The second glaring omission that will be remedied quite soon is the Installation Guide for the Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK). As you have seen, the text booklet is very carefully written and does not leave out the slightest detail. And when used in conjunction with the excellent photos at iFixIt.com, nobody--out of well over 100 people--has had a difficult time performing the procedure. But the all-text booklet clearly is intimidating even though the process is pretty simple.

About two months ago I performed a complimentary MMK installation (for hifial as it happens), a service that I offer to all who purchase a JS-2 at the same time. I took start-to-finish close-up photos of the entire MMK install procedure, and when I reviewed them on my computer I realized that this photo essay could completely replace the text-heavy guide--and almost not even need ANY text at all. Clearly this will also be a great thing for those in countries where English is not their native tongue.

The folder has over 100 6-Megapixel images, so I need to pare those way down, drop the file sizes, put them in order, and integrate some text (mostly just pasting the appropriate steps from the already-written guide). Then it will go up on the web.

Still, I am very glad that people appreciate the packing and packaging details of the products. You might be surprised at how much thought, research, and agonizing went into both the JS-2 and the REGEN packaging. Not the least of which are the considerations of how and where they will be shipped and what the freight costs will be. If that JS-2 carton was just 1-inch larger in any dimension, the freight costs to send it overseas would be 23% higher (at least that's what the dimensional weight calculation indicated when I designed the JS-2 packing system two years ago). And I am sure glad for those spaces in-between the inner and outer boxes--they are handy for cables, MMK, REGENs, etc.

The REGEN's own cute little jewelry box did not arise from wanting to be fancy (though I do like making a nice presentation). It stemmed from the paucity of roomy boxes that will fit inside a USPS Small Flat Rate Priority Mail Box. Priority Mail is the least expensive, most reliable for the price method of shipping small parcels overseas, but it is much more costly in boxes other than the Flat Rate versions--of which there is only one small size.

I am sure the above is way more than anyone wanted to know about why the packaging is the way it is. But I like to protect the products, keep things simple and cost effective, and not have to charge too much for shipping. So there you go.

Enjoy your new toys Richard, and don't be shy about installing your MMK. You will do just fine. And I am always here to help.

Oh, I'm being called away for the balance of my Father's Day fun!

Bye,

--Alex C.

(snip)

BTW, if a newbie computer audio person were to look at your signature (which tells the story of most of us, yet we don't have the guts to list everything :)he/she would be amazed that music would be able to find its way out of that stuff!

That's funny! Thanks for a good laugh!

I have no interest in organizing 3D printed cases for the 95 or so people that will have a spare "Green" board. However, if Alex approved it, I could send out the STP file for the case that you can submit to any online printing company to make one. It shouldn't be more than $20 max and you will need to supply 4 screws too.

I don't mind. Just send me the file too. I might have some REGEN cases made with a 3D chocolate printer. Could be the first--delicious--bit of UpTone Audio swag! ;) (72%+ single-origin cacao of course)

I don't mind. Just send me the file too. I might have some REGEN cases made with a 3D chocolate printer. Could be the first--delicious--bit of UpTone Audio swag! ;) (72%+ single-origin cacao of course)

Done.

BTW - I LOVE Chocolate!!!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Hello Alex,

Given you have commented in earlier posts about both the JS-2 User Manual and the MMK, I saw no reason to "pile" on. I believe the website also refers to works in progress. Admittedly, yes, I would have appreciated a User Manual for the JS-2, as I actually read manuals (not matter how detailed and lengthy). And, yes, I remember you mentioning previously those photographs that would help customers like me who benefit both from text and visual cues. I gather your admissions will eventually lead you to the action required to get those manuals/photographs produced for inclusion with the UpTone Audio components.

Again, that was truly a thoughtful, considerate touch to take the time to pre-set the DC Outlets to match the settings required for the components I purchased. We all find ways to show our appreciation to one another for what we accept and what we provide.

When you do follow-through with the photographs for the MMK and the JS-2 User Manual, I will be happy to download them from your website, should you decide to make them available to us as pdf documents.

Thank you for your encouragement to begin the the power supply transplant. I will start that procedure tomorrow.

BTW: After listening for a good hour to my system which I thoroughly enjoy, I invited my wife to sit down for a time. When she acknowledged she had had sufficient time, she asked me to install the Regen Amber. My wife is as much interested in what the Regen Amber would accomplish as I am.

Fortunately, with very little readjustment required to reposition my W4S Dac2 DSDse which rests on MIGs on a Tranquility Base also on MIGs, I succeeded installing the Regen Amber with very little effort. The components in my system rest on multiple shelves of a BDI component stand with a back board with cut-outs which I have resized to accomodate cabling.

The solid adapter required a little pressure to connect to the Regen Amber's output. I was a bit hesitant because of the fit, which turned out to be "perfect"ly secure. It just required a second effort and the fit was very secure. I loved that. The rear of the W4S Dac2 DSDse is arranged such that I had no problem connecting the Regen Amber with solid adapter to the USB B port of the Dac2 DSDse. I simply guessed how many Herbie's Audio isolation rubber footers I would need to set under the Regen Amber which incidentally was held very secure when attached to the USB input of the Dac2 DSDse. But, of course, I would not leave it unsupported.

But, even with the cutouts for the backboard, the tight space required me to start over so I removed the Regen Amber from the Dac and fed the Mean Well SMPS power cord from one side of the cutout and the LightHarmonic LightSpeed 0.8m standard (red) cable, connected each to the inputs of the Regen Amber then reconnected it to the USB B input. I love the tolerances of fit for the Regen Amber input ports power/USB A plug and the Regen Output port, solid connector and the Dac2 DSDse B USB input port. Solid and secure.

I connected the SMPS to one of the (always on) power ports of an APC 1500, peered through the backboard to see the amber power light aglow. Powered on my Dac and Preamp, Mac Mini, opened Audio Midi Setup and saw my Dac2 DSDse. Opened About My Mac/System Report/USB and looked for the Regen Amber. Nothing by name. Guessed the "Hub" was the referent.

Booted up Amarra Symphony with iRC and listened for a short time. Called my wife in and sat her down to listen to Evans' The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1 rebook CD XLD conversion to AIFF. I asked my wife what she heard. Her first response, Evans' piano sounds more like a piano. I agreed. We both heard a smoother SQ (read warmer, less grunge. In the interim, I had raised the volume from 30 to 38. My wife had asked me to reduce the volume before installing the Regen Amber as the level was to loud for her. I did not tell her I raised the volume. I then replayed the Beatles' Rubber Soul (MONO) redbook CD XLD conversion to AIFF. My wife said the glare of the Beatles' recording was gone. She had made no comment about the volume. I then told her the volume level was 38 up from 30.

I had intended to elicit an unsighted response from my wife, but given the difficulty of AB, I just gave that up. Her comments were spot on. I have to admit, she heard the differences before I did. I realize our assessments are subjective and I have no investment in convincing others of the validity of discernment. Sighted, expectation bias, etc. could not care less. I trust what I hear. Furthermore, I have to admit at first, alone before my wife rentered the listening room, I was not certain any change had occurred. And said so to my wife after she re-entered the listening room, had settled in, and had listened for about 10 minutes. I made my declaration; and she immediately responded with a different discernment. She noticed all the changes. Whereas I had almost immediately accepted them without noticing the change such that a piano sounding like a piano was what it was supposed to sound like. I recalled that some member users said they chose to turn down the volume. I chose to turn up the volume. The edginess was consistently removed from other music selections. I could also raise the iRC Filter gain from more minus to less minus to 0.0 levels. Bass response has always been excellent on my system. As far as I can discern that has changed the least.

My next step is to employ the JS-2 DC Outlet 1 set at 7V and the custom DC cable Alex made for me to power the Regen Amber from the JS-2. I will compare any difference between the Mean Well SMPS 7.5V and the JS-2 7V.

Tomorrow, I will install the MMK.

Very pleased with the addition of the Regen Amber. Thank you Alex and John. Excellent build and feel, excellent fit and tolerances. Not a moment of problems to connect to my system and work transparently.

Bravo!

Enjoy the music,

Richard

It's the idea of it. Not much to tell from the photograph's perspective.

thumb_IMG_0795_1024.jpg

Well John, wouldn't you know it, the issue was my $1000 Locus Design Nucleus USB cable that was preventing my computer from seeing the Off-Ramp 3 USB converter. Unbelievable. I found a stock USB cable that came with 1 of my external hard drives and the Regen worked just fine going into the Off-Ramp 3.

Still, the Regen sounds much better being connected to the HTPC and using the Nucleus USB cable so I'm sticking with that for now.

John & Alex,, Ya'all are gonna love this one. First off I'm 63, my 10 year old HTPC was my first and only computer to date, I knew nothing of computers when I bought this thing and it's been learning things the hard way for the last 10 years. I gave up my CD 6 years ago and have been doing PC audio ever since.

Well I've been under the apprehension that I had connectivity issues with my Nucleus USB cable ever since I beta tested it for the late Lee Weiland of Locus Design but it worked where it counted, with my USB converters and I LOVED the sound of this cable so I could live with it's "perceived" issues. Same held true with the Regen as it sounded pretty damn good being connected at the HTPC.....

Well tonight I've learned yet another tidbit the hard way. I have 8 USB terminals on my HTPC and evidently since I've been doing PC audio, I've been using a USB port that wasn't Hi-Speed. I'm not certain what the terminology of the USB terminals, 2.0, 2.2, etc but I got this message today, first time I've ever seen it, that I'm using a Hi-Speed Hub that wasn't connected to a Hi-Speed port. Figuring it must be the Regen, I made a switch to an unused port and I must have picked a winner cuz I now have my Regen connected to my Off-Ramp 3 which my computer immediately recognized but the sound,,,, oh my Gawd the sound. I can't begin to compare the sounds of the Regen being placed on the front of the Nucleus USB cable to being correctly connected to the cable's rear, properly attached to the Off Ramp 3 USB converter(but I'll try). :D

REFINEMENT was the first thought that came to my mind. SMOOTH was the second thought. CLARITY was immediately the third. I'm hearing musical nuances I've simply never heard before, even from CD's. The refinement of the Regen being properly positioned has me wondering, maybe this type of refinement is what JS-2 Linear Power Supply owners are experiencing when they replace the Mean Well SMPS??? I dunno.... but I do know what I'm now experiencing is an incredible notch above what I've been mighty happy with since first receiving my Regen and having to connect it to my HTPC inside of my Off-Ramp 3 USB converter.

Alex,,,, please read my PM from days ago and respond. I'm feeling I owe John a little somethin'-somethin. ;)

Cheers,

Robin

Hello Nikhill,

Congratulations! I am happy for you and for myself. Hope you do not mind my sharing your moments with mine with the arrival of my awaited order. Feeling we can share our moments with the membership (smile).

Thanks Richard, do not mind it at all. Great write up (as always) on your listening impressions. I have the same situation you have - my wife has better ears than I do. We were both tired last night so did not get her to listen to the system with the Regen installed.

Will share my listening impressions on the other thread after letting my Regen settle in.

Regards.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Thanks Richard, do not mind it at all. Great write up (as always) on your listening impressions. I have the same situation you have - my wife has better ears than I do. We were both tired last night so did not get her to listen to the system with the Regen installed.

Will share my listening impressions on the other thread after letting my Regen settle in.

Regards.

Hello Nikhil,

Thank you. I was in good company with you from the start (smile). Yes, how curious our wives have sensitive hearing and are welcome in the on-going assessment of discernible changes with the addition of various UpTone Audio components. Saturday night we were both too tired to really do justice to making an assessment. But this morning, with my wife's encouragement, I installed the Regen Amber using the Mean Well SMPS for the present and what followed required all my attention. It appeared my wife was ahead of me in her sensitivity although I had made certain assessments previously including the fact that I never cared for the sound of Evans' piano on some recordings. Yet today, that all changed and it took my wife to point it out.

I will also post at the other thread about my listening impressions as you intend. Tomorrow I intend to install the MMK and complete the connections of all the UpTone Audio components to my system. The steps and staging I had hoped to accomplish are not practical given my component stand construction and access to the components. Best to set them up connect them and assess the system from "as was" to "as is after the new introductions to UpTone Audio" connections and implementations.

I can at least second satfrat's qualifications about refinement, smoother sound and clarity, and regard those characteristics as valid, if only generally speaking for the time being, as first impressions.

Look forward to reading your assessment when you post them.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Here is another perk using either the Green or the Amber. I have a 16 foot Locus Axis usb cable that quit working years ago. I tried several times to have it repaired with no luck. I postulated it may be the 5 volt leg in the usb that went bad, so no handshake. Plugging in the Regen the usb cable now works PERFECT! As some of you may know, Lee ( the owner of Locus) passed away several years ago but I now get the sentimental value of using one of Lee's creations. I thank you both for that.

I would greatly appreciate the STP file! I have no mechanical skills and was looking for bubble wrap or something similar :)

Can't wait for my Amber to arrive. I want to be the first to plug the Green into the Amber to see how the two work together. Still haven't heard any reports of that being done yet.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

Me too ... I also would greatly appreciate the STP file!

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

+1

Dumb question: Does the file specify color or can we choose our own?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I would greatly appreciate the STP file! I have no mechanical skills and was looking for bubble wrap or something similar :)

Can't wait for my Amber to arrive. I want to be the first to plug the Green into the Amber to see how the two work together. Still haven't heard any reports of that being done yet.

+1

Dumb question: Does the file specify color or can we choose our own?

Guys just send me a PM with your email and I'll email it to you tonight. As for color, no, you specify the material and color to whomever you use to make the parts.

On using a 3d printed case for the REGEN, be careful if you use some form of plastic for the case, that will significantly change the thermal properties of the system.

The REGEN was designed to be used in an all aluminum case which is a good conductor of heat from the inside to the outside. Most plastics are not good heat conductors.

If the REGEN is not providing any power to a DAC, then a plastic case is probably all right, but if your DAC takes significant power from the USB bus, I would not use a plastic case.

Several 3D printing companies have various metallic options which would probably work well with the REGEN, including silver and gold, although a solid 14K gold case might be a trifle on the expensive side. A sterling silver case might look very nice, but is probably still a little on the expensive side.

John S.

More post office delays of my Regen Amber. So I was supposed to get it Saturday according to the tracking site. I noticed today that per the tracking site it arrived from Sacremento to Allen Park, Mi. Yay progress right? It takes me 30 minutes to drive from AllenPark to Plymouth, the package left 1:30 am for Plymouth. Noon today mailman comes but no package. So I drive up to my local PO and show the guy there my tracking info....and I ask him where is it ? He says probably on a pallet in the back. I ask let me go back there and find it...can't do It he says. So I semi unload on him as to why they mislead in their tracking site. Lower cost for PO versus UPS or Fedex he says. I say bet you have bigger budget than they do. Sorry got to wait yet another day he says. The whole incident made me recall a similar issue I had with Fedex at the Detroit airport 30 years or so ago where my amp was similarly sitting on a pallet in the back. That time the guy says sure you can get it. I found it but as I was walking around on the loading dock I came across a Bengal tiger in a very large crate next to my amp. He gave me one of those very low frequency growls at a warning level volume that was not too loud but very menacing. Maybe it's good that I didn't look at the loading docks today (true story about the tiger). Bottom line though I want my Amber!

On using a 3d printed case for the REGEN, be careful if you use some form of plastic for the case, that will significantly change the thermal properties of the system.

The REGEN was designed to be used in an all aluminum case which is a good conductor of heat from the inside to the outside. Most plastics are not good heat conductors.

If the REGEN is not providing any power to a DAC, then a plastic case is probably all right, but if your DAC takes significant power from the USB bus, I would not use a plastic case.

Several 3D printing companies have various metallic options which would probably work well with the REGEN, including silver and gold, although a solid 14K gold case might be a trifle on the expensive side. A sterling silver case might look very nice, but is probably still a little on the expensive side.

John S.

14K gold? Sterling silver? Yikes! I'll be very happy with a black anodized aluminum if they have that option.

Or polished yttrium might be nice.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

If anyone identifies a few top quality 3d print shops online (for our green boards) a summary here would be appreciated.

With aluminum vas an option now obviously ha!

There are so many it's insane. ProtoLabs is someone I've used for thousands of parts. I will say though there are many others that are much less expensive.

For personal use you might have better luck with pricing using 3D Price Check. This is mostly individuals who sell time on their machine. Works well for stuff like this. I'm used for high production R&D stuff so that's where in house and ProtoLabs is great.

We should persuade Alex to sell the original Regen cases for another $45 shipped ...

As is, the regen can be used without the case. All you need is an aftermarket PSU:

KZCdqI.jpg

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3