IGNORED

The Most Three Dimensional Recordings

There's no shortage of recommendations when it comes to great recordings. But what really makes my heart stop are those with an amazing ability to capture and reproduce a realistic sense of 3 dimensional space. I'm talking about soundstage with extraordinary depth, revealing precise placement of each performer and their varying distances from the mics. Recordings that puts you in the venue, where voices are full, rich and palpable, and notes that hits you like you were right there in the front row.

I know a lot of it has to do with the gear you have but I guess that's the power of the kind of recording I described, it'll let you know whether your hardware is up to the task.

I'm hoping fellow audiophiles out there could share recordings they know or have heard that offers this amazing experience. To differentiate this list from others, let's fight our urges to put in our favorite artistes or albums. (I know it's tempting.) Let this list be all about realism and the most 3 dimensional recordings, be it red book or DSD.

Thank you for reading and may you learn and benefit from this new thread as much as I do. [emoji4]

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

"A Quiet Winter Night" Hoff Ensamble on the 2L label. It's nice music but I could see how some could find it boring and a bit devoid of soul. For the recording, though, it's remarkable the sense of space you get. music I would give 3/5, sound 5/5

Just about anything from the Mapleshade/Wildechild label is remarkable. It's straight up bluegrass so it might not be for everyone, but I really like "Still Light of the Evening" from Tony Williamson

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I'm hoping fellow audiophiles out there could share recordings they know or have heard that offers this amazing experience. To differentiate this list from others, let's fight our urges to put in our favorite artistes or albums. (I know it's tempting.) Let this list be all about realism and the most 3 dimensional recordings, be it red book or DSD.
Are you asking for traditional stereo recordings, multichannel recordings or both?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Are you asking for traditional stereo recordings, multichannel recordings or both?

I've been listening to 2 channels. But perhaps others reading this might benefit from some multichannel suggestions too.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

The very recent Sibelius/Wagner recording by the BSO under Nelsons' baton, recommended on this forum by Hailey.

Boston Symphony Orchestra: Wagner and Sibelius Boston Symphony Orchestra | bso.org

I visited their site. Kinda lost as to how to download their recordings. Do I buy a ticket?

Another vote for 2L - Cikada Duo - Colorazione.

May not be music for everyone, but it continues to thrill me after a million listens as a test track. Imaging is immaculate, with instruments seemingly coming out of a cavernous black hole. Fabulous startle factor (great for gauging leading edge performance of your rig too).

Another reference I use for soundstage depth/resolution is NYSO's take on Mahler's 8th. (But just got the Zinman release in DSD...)

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

@Kelly @isaacc7 Sounds like just what I'm looking for. Can I find these labels online? Downloadable?

Artist: Emptyset

EP: Material

Ahh, one of my favorites from last year..

Background from the label:

"Material' takes the form of a triptych release documenting three site-specific installations and recordings developed by Emptyset throughout winter 2012. The project spans three locations: a decommissioned nuclear power station in Snowdonia, a vast concrete testing bunker below central London, and a 22 mile medieval mine tunneled into the earth beneath Kent.

The recordings further the work Emptyset developed through the release 'Medium', exploring the relationship between space and the fundamental properties of sound, applying extreme bass, noise and feedback as means of extracting the essence and sonic signature of these unique sites. Across the recordings there is a focus on the nature of sonic decay, as each space imparts its signature reverberant characteristics to the signal, ranging from detailed noise reflecting across sheer concrete surfaces to low frequency sonics tunneling through subterranean earth. Collectively the recordings provide an immersive document of these three locations, crafting a unified exploration of structure, material and sound.

The release is comprised of a recording from within the Trawsfynydd nuclear power station in North Wales, a former uranium reactor site currently being decommissioned, with the interior recording forming the soundtrack to a film installation for Tate Britain. Alongside this is an excerpt from a sound installation commissioned by the Architecture Foundation at Ambika P3, the former concrete testing bunker below Baker Street in London, known for extreme testing of sections of the Channel Tunnel and British motorway. Then finally there is a piece recorded within Chislehurst mine, a 22 mile tunnel network carved into the earth through chalk and flint extraction that spanned from the middle ages up to the early 1800's. 'Material' emerges as meeting point of these three sites, providing a sonic narrative that links the locations, whilst forming a wider exploration into themes of architecture, industry and recursion."

A few pictures from the venues and recording setups:

Emptyset-Material1_zpsb437c3bf.jpg

Emptyset-Material2_zpsa24d9e35.jpg

Emptyset-Material3_zpsbb4a1160.jpg

Emptyset-Material4_zps3246ee5a.jpg

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

There's no shortage of recommendations when it comes to great recordings. But what really makes my heart stop are those with an amazing ability to capture and reproduce a realistic sense of 3 dimensional space. I'm talking about soundstage with extraordinary depth, revealing precise placement of each performer and their varying distances from the mics. Recordings that puts you in the venue, where voices are full, rich and palpable, and notes that hits you like you were right there in the front row.

I know a lot of it has to do with the gear you have but I guess that's the power of the kind of recording I described, it'll let you know whether your hardware is up to the task.

Thank you for reading and may you learn and benefit from this new thread as much as I do. [emoji4]

Hi Topspin70,

If I do say so myself, check out some Soundkeeper Recordings. They are recorded in stereo - real stereo, using a stereo array with just a single signal per playback channel, not a mix of multiple mono signals arranged with panpots.

Here's

from a recent recording session, that includes a short "tour" of the recording setup.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

Hi Topspin70,

If I do say so myself, check out some Soundkeeper Recordings. They are recorded in stereo - real stereo, using a stereo array with just a single signal per playback channel, not a mix of multiple mono signals arranged with panpots.

Here's

from a recent recording session, that includes a short "tour" of the recording setup.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

I concur. My experience since my first Soundkeeper Recordings purchase of Equinox which was a Stereophile recording of the month after its release.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

@Kelly @isaacc7 Sounds like just what I'm looking for. Can I find these labels online? Downloadable?

Currently MA Recordings does not offer any download options. Their CDs are fantastic. La Secunda is available direct from MA Recordings's website in 24/192 version on a disc.

Mapleshade is only available as a CD. You can order from their website.

The 2L recordings are available either directly from their own website (I think) and are often on HDTracks. I got Quiet Winter Night a few years ago from HD Tracks in 96/24

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Thanks EuroChamp! I'll keep an eye out for them.

Hi Topspin70,

Here's

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Awesome recommendation. Love the video. Normally I would think small stone walled venues like that would have too much reverb. Bet it's the contrary. Probably adds to the whole atmosphere. Can't wait to give them a listen.

"Material' takes the form of a triptych release documenting three site-specific installations and recordings developed by Emptyset throughout winter 2012. The project spans three locations: a decommissioned nuclear power station in Snowdonia, a vast concrete testing bunker below central London, and a 22 mile medieval mine tunneled into the earth beneath Kent.

The recordings further the work Emptyset developed through the release 'Medium', exploring the relationship between space and the fundamental properties of sound, applying extreme bass, noise and feedback as means of extracting the essence and sonic signature of these unique sites. Across the recordings there is a focus on the nature of sonic decay, as each space imparts its signature reverberant characteristics to the signal, ranging from detailed noise reflecting across sheer concrete surfaces to low frequency sonics tunneling through subterranean earth. Collectively the recordings provide an immersive document of these three locations, crafting a unified exploration of structure, material and sound.

The release is comprised of a recording from within the Trawsfynydd nuclear power station in North Wales, a former uranium reactor site currently being decommissioned, with the interior recording forming the soundtrack to a film installation for Tate Britain. Alongside this is an excerpt from a sound installation commissioned by the Architecture Foundation at Ambika P3, the former concrete testing bunker below Baker Street in London, known for extreme testing of sections of the Channel Tunnel and British motorway. Then finally there is a piece recorded within Chislehurst mine, a 22 mile tunnel network carved into the earth through chalk and flint extraction that spanned from the middle ages up to the early 1800's. 'Material' emerges as meeting point of these three sites, providing a sonic narrative that links the locations, whilst forming a wider exploration into themes of architecture, industry and recursion."

A few pictures from the venues and recording setups:

Emptyset-Material1_zpsb437c3bf.jpg

Emptyset-Material2_zpsa24d9e35.jpg

Emptyset-Material3_zpsbb4a1160.jpg

Emptyset-Material4_zps3246ee5a.jpg

I'm like 'wow'. The thinking that goes into the recordings is pretty insane. Thanks for sharing. This is the first time I'm hearing about such treats for audiophiles. Guess it was a good idea to look beyond my old dusty Jazz at the Pawnshop.

This looks very interesting, but I could only locate a LP, and I have no turntable: can this be bought as a download or CD?

Awesome recommendation. Love the video. Normally I would think small stone walled venues like that would have too much reverb. Bet it's the contrary. Probably adds to the whole atmosphere. Can't wait to give them a listen.

Hi Topspin70,

The stone is on the outside. Note from the video how the inside is plaster, wood, and carpet.

Also, the sound will clearly reveal the acoustic signature of the space. I chose it for its warm and intimate sound, and the fact that it is *not* reverberant but still has a nice sense of airiness.

Here's another video, which starts with rehearsals at the artist's own studio and culminates with the band performing the song at the church during the recording sessions.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

This looks very interesting, but I could only locate a LP, and I have no turntable: can this be bought as a download or CD?

Hi Boris. I downloaded the FLAC album from Boomkat (you can also just purchase single tracks off the album if you prefer). It is also available on beatsmusic for streaming (not sure about other streaming sites).

P.S. Out of curiosity, I just checked YouTube and sure enough, someone uploaded it.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC