IGNORED

ARIES vs mini... Confused

I don't find ARIES on SPDIF sounds better than mini on USB, so I'd rather simplify if I'm not getting much out of the ARIES.

Agreed of course. I meant using the mini with one particular cable (the Lightspeed USB) as a reference point.

Have not borrowed from them. What cables would you recommend?

Understood. But the diffs are much more noticeable than just a level difference. I've listened to a lot of components, cables, etc etc.

Anyone in NYC is welcome to come over for a listen and tell me I'm crazy.

I'd try the Audioquest Diamond, Wireworld Platinum, Synergistic Galileo LE USB, the Synergistic is super expensive but if locks in then the step down might work almost as good.. I think that if you give these a try and things don't improve then either you just simply prefer the Mini, or and I doubt it, but you could have a bad Aries..

BTW what power cord do you have on the Aries power supply?

Issue: I am finding the sound of 'a' to be thin and uninteresting, whereas the sound of 'b' is much more harmonically rich and involving. The difference is that between "gorgeous tune, stuck to the couch, I can't move, damn that voice" vs "sounds good - what else can I play?" type of music experience.

Same here. I tried the Aries only to return it one week later since it sounded noticeably worse than my MacMini+Audirvana. Actually the Aries sounded very digital and harsh.

Today I tried the SOtM SMS-100 and it also sounded inferior (although I then realised that while the SOtM was playing FLACs from my NAS, the MacMini was playing local files, so I'll repeat the test tomorrow) although not as bad as the Aries.

I'm also intrigued because I'd expect both to sound at least similar.

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Cheers,

Nuno

Lighten up Moby . Life is too short 

Trudat. But you started the off-point commenting.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Miguelito, sounds like you have done everything a reasonable consumer could do before throwing it in the lap of the manufacturer.

Given the many other Mac users who tried Aries and found it better, I'd suspect you got a lemon. Ideally a last test would be to A/B vs an Aries

that has a happy owner for final confirmation but its probable you have no comparison options. I'd suggest contacting the factory to see if an exchange

can be worked out.

Yeah, got no ARIES comps to rely on. I think I will contact Mr Wang.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

BTW what power cord do you have on the Aries power supply?

Using a 1ft Goldmund power cord. Very nicely built.

system pics

Same here. I tried the Aries only to return it one week later since it sounded noticeably worse than my MacMini+Audirvana. Actually the Aries sounded very digital and harsh.

I don't want to say "harsh" or digital but I do get what you're saying. If I were to exaggerate what I hear it would be "rolled off" (lacking sibilance in voice) but at the same time distorted.

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

That's the question I intend to answer with my original post to this thread.

system pics

I'd say so.

But what mister?

system pics

I have to say I agree w/ Miguelito, in my modest system Aries USB HD> Shunyata USB >Modwright Full Blown OPPO 105D>McCormack pre> McCormack modded DNA 125 amp>Merlin MXM black magic, Audience su24 se interconnects and speaker cables everything sounds " right" except vocals. I keep blaming it on the USB cable but I don't now. Great soundstage , bass is defined like I have never heard before. Cymbals shimmer, great decay.. but the vocals, to me are holding this back. I will keep playing with the cables. Everyone loved the Bryston Bdp -1 but I thought it really struggled in my system so who knows. I really just want to start enjoying and quit chasing. Getting closer though...

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Wow, lighten up a bit there. Not everyone thinks the Aries sounds better than a well setup Mac Mini. Yes, it costs more and has loads of audiophile appeal. That does not mean it sounds better.

I'm glad to see you have left, albeit temporarily , the JRiver thread .?

They sound different , no question ,but I don't think one sounds better then the other .

I like both .

Anyway , after so many Who, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath concerts , my ears are pretty far from being that good anymore .?

Have a drink . relax . Take a dump . You will feel better . You would think the Aries cost 50 k.

Is there a 50K ARIES I can try? I'm not price-sensitive.

system pics

I'd say so.

But what could it be? I'm using the same USB cable (actually I used more than one) and I'm using the same source files (stored in a Synology NAS), each one using similar ethernet cables coming from the same router, and both connected to the same Vibex outlet.

Any suggestions?

But what could it be? I'm using the same USB cable (actually I used more than one) and I'm using the same source files (stored in a Synology NAS), each one using similar ethernet cables coming from the same router, and both connected to the same Vibex outlet.

Any suggestions?

It could be that your second personality has emerged that is pickier about audio quality than your

first personality .

Personally , I would take a bong hit of some BC Bud and it will all sound fantastic,particularly

if you are crunching on some chips while listening . ?

You could always ask Mr. Wang to make you a modded Aries that will cost 50k , that has no vocal distortion ! 

I'd ask Mr Meitner for such if I wanted...

system pics

waiting.gif

Ok... done the comparison. I used the Transparent Performance USB cable for the comps as opposed to the Lightspeed (because I need to use one of the USB ports in the ARIES for the USB stick). So:

Albums:

Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company (anniversary edition), HDTracks, AIFF 24/192

Diana Krall - Live In Paris, CD rip with XLD, AIFF 24/44

Buika - Nina De Fuego, CD rip with XLD, AIFF 24/44

Mostly focused on vocals but drum slam and organicity (is this a word?) also important.

Impressions:

On mini with Audirvana v1.5.10 + iTunes and Amarra 3.03 (standalone):

Very close to each other with Amarra slightly better. Attention grabbing vocals, amazing. Tight focused drums, sounds real.

On ARIES with USB stick (Corsair 16gb) or minimserver from the mini:

I cannot tell the difference between the source (USB or uPnP). Same impressions as I've posted here, lack of sibilance in vocals (in comparison that is) which renders less flesh to the music. Drums good but no better than mini. I find the snare drum better on mini.

So that's it folks...

system pics

Oh My !!!! The name dropper !!

I'm coming to appreciate the lack of content in your posts. You make it an art form.

system pics

Ok... done the comparison. I used the Transparent Performance USB cable for the comps as opposed to the Lightspeed (because I need to use one of the USB ports in the ARIES for the USB stick). So:

Albums:

Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company (anniversary edition), HDTracks, AIFF 24/192

Diana Krall - Live In Paris, CD rip with XLD, AIFF 24/44

Buika - Nina De Fuego, CD rip with XLD, AIFF 24/44

Mostly focused on vocals but drum slam and organicity (is this a word?) also important.

Impressions:

On mini with Audirvana v1.5.10 + iTunes and Amarra 3.03 (standalone):

Very close to each other with Amarra slightly better. Attention grabbing vocals, amazing. Tight focused drums, sounds real.

On ARIES with USB stick (Corsair 16gb) or minimserver from the mini:

I cannot tell the difference between the source (USB or uPnP). Same impressions as I've posted here, lack of sibilance in vocals (in comparison that is) which renders less flesh to the music. Drums good but no better than mini. I find the snare drum better on mini.

So that's it folks...

Can't tell a difference between USB stick using Lightning Server and UPNP using Minimserver ??!?!!

Hmmmm . That's all I need to know about every post you have made here .

Can't tell a difference between USB stick using Lightning Server and UPNP using Minimserver ??!?!!

Hmmmm . That's all I need to know about every post you have made here .

Seriously... Is there anything at all you have to say? Too many bong hits and your one neuron is too flipped out to stop?

system pics

Is there a 50K ARIES I can try? I'm not price-sensitive.

In that case, try a Totaldac d1 twelve. You will forget all the rest.

CloneAudio LPSU for QnapHS-251 fanless - UpTone JS2 for MacMini i7 (SD card only-CAD scripts-MMK fan kit-no disc inside- Audirvana2)- JS2 for REGEN - BelCantoRefLink-TotalDacD1tube(Mullard ECC82 NOS) //Halgorythme single end 300b EML //DiY Open Baffle & Leedh Elfe

Whee was the last time you did something for the first time?