IGNORED

ARIES vs mini... Confused

In that case, try a Totaldac d1 twelve. You will forget all the rest.

I have a DAC that I love - EmmLabs XDS1v2.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

28k€. For the system.

if you ear it once, you will be definitely hooked.

CloneAudio LPSU for QnapHS-251 fanless - UpTone JS2 for MacMini i7 (SD card only-CAD scripts-MMK fan kit-no disc inside- Audirvana2)- JS2 for REGEN - BelCantoRefLink-TotalDacD1tube(Mullard ECC82 NOS) //Halgorythme single end 300b EML //DiY Open Baffle & Leedh Elfe

Whee was the last time you did something for the first time?

28k€. For the system.

if you ear it once, you will be definitely hooked.

Ok, not bad. My DAC is 25k USD. :)

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

I have a DAC that I love - EmmLabs XDS1v2.

TotalDac sells a server - reclocker. It's from far the best I've ever heard.

Their website is in English.

CloneAudio LPSU for QnapHS-251 fanless - UpTone JS2 for MacMini i7 (SD card only-CAD scripts-MMK fan kit-no disc inside- Audirvana2)- JS2 for REGEN - BelCantoRefLink-TotalDacD1tube(Mullard ECC82 NOS) //Halgorythme single end 300b EML //DiY Open Baffle & Leedh Elfe

So why buy a 1,000 dollar music streamer for a 25 k dac

Looks like you are mismatching components

TOTALDAC listening

D1 server is 4800€. It should be a minimum for your DAC.

Me too.

An Aries with a 25k DAC is like a Ferrari with mopped engine

It makes literally zero sense .

Zero .

ben t'as pas inventé la poudre.

Hasta siempre

So why buy a 1,000 dollar music streamer for a 25 k dac

Looks like you are mismatching components

Nothing like a guy complaining about a 1k streamer when they have a 25 k dac

Lol.

So get rid of the Aries and spare us any more of your blathering gibberish .

Let's see- because it doesn't take a $25K streamer to drive a $25K DAC to its full potential? Because you deem it impossible for less than a $1000 of computer to sound better than the hot audiophile product of the day?

News flash... just being rude for the sake of being rude is not funny, cool, or even entertaining. And uh- Miguelito is the only person who can judge what he hears. I don't think he pays all that much attention to the price of something as compared to how the device sounds.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

TOTALDAC listening

I will look into this.

system pics

Me too.

An Aries with a 25k DAC is like a Ferrari with mopped engine

Possibly... And a 100k amp! :)

system pics

Let's see- because it doesn't take a $25K streamer to drive a $25K DAC to its full potential? Because you deem it impossible for less than a $1000 of computer to sound better than the hot audiophile product of the day?

News flash... just being rude for the sake of being rude is not funny, cool, or even entertaining. And uh- Miguelito is the only person who can judge what he hears. I don't think he pays all that much attention to the price of something as compared to how the device sounds.

-Paul

Jimmy powder is full of it. Powder.

And Paul... You're right. I would say $1600 should be enough to produce a pristine streamer... But of course I could be wrong and have to pay more. I am entitled to try it and give my opinion, as you say.

system pics

Based on your comments , that one neuron surpasses your thousands . 

Zzzzzz

system pics

What's it cost ? 10 times a Aries ? I would hope so ! Lol .

Still zero information coming from your posts... Your ARE an artist.

system pics

Possibly... And a 100k amp! :)

When I have bought my Totaldac D1valve, I had same concern as you mentioned. Poor sound quality compare to what I was expecting.

It took me two months to find and solve the problem. My source (Macmini with only external PS) was the guilty box. Not at the level of an high end DAC.

I applied all the good recommendations of Superdad MMK, SDcard, JS2... Now I'm smiling every time I sit in front of my speakers.

I heard the Aries two months ago. Frankly speaking, it's just a good mid range box. No more. You will never turn it into a top end source.

Aries from what I remember was not better than my Mac+ LPSU.

I have had last summer for 3 weeks a Totaldac D1server from a friend who was on vacation. It broke my heart when I had to ship it back. Downgrade is never easy.

I hope this helps

Pol

TOTALDAC listening

Without having actually listened to it ... the "special" part of the TOTALDAC d1 server isn't so much the actual server part - its the reclocker / USB filter and interface. The actual server is simply a $130 Cubox.

As an aside I don't think it will be of use to miguelito as he needs to use the USB input to support DSD on his DAC.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Ok... done the comparison. I used the Transparent Performance USB cable for the comps as opposed to the Lightspeed (because I need to use one of the USB ports in the ARIES for the USB stick). So:

Albums:

Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company (anniversary edition), HDTracks, AIFF 24/192

Diana Krall - Live In Paris, CD rip with XLD, AIFF 24/44

Buika - Nina De Fuego, CD rip with XLD, AIFF 24/44

Mostly focused on vocals but drum slam and organicity (is this a word?) also important.

Impressions:

On mini with Audirvana v1.5.10 + iTunes and Amarra 3.03 (standalone):

Very close to each other with Amarra slightly better. Attention grabbing vocals, amazing. Tight focused drums, sounds real.

On ARIES with USB stick (Corsair 16gb) or minimserver from the mini:

I cannot tell the difference between the source (USB or uPnP). Same impressions as I've posted here, lack of sibilance in vocals (in comparison that is) which renders less flesh to the music. Drums good but no better than mini. I find the snare drum better on mini.

So that's it folks...

The "lack of sibilance" is the strangest part here. My Aries, compared to MBP with Amarra certainly adds, rather than lacks sibilance. The treble is much more extended, yet free of grain. I listen with headphones (HD800), which does not mask anything in the highs.

Say NO to ROON

Without having actually listened to it ... the "special" part of the TOTALDAC d1 server isn't so much the actual server part - its the reclocker / USB filter and interface. The actual server is simply a $130 Cubox.

As an aside I don't think it will be of use to miguelito as he needs to use the USB input to support DSD on his DAC.

Eloise

This puts me in mind of Miska's NAA. Miguel, ever used HQPlayer?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

-Paul

Uh , it's a mismatch . I stand by it .

I have never heard someone like this dude complaining so much on a forum about a piece of electronics .

You should be complaining about his quantity of negative posts about the Aries . Get over it and buy something else .

And for you to complain about someone being rude after reading your Jplay posts is complete irony .

This puts me in mind of Miska's NAA. Miguel, ever used HQPlayer?

Pretty similar ... its an MPD player ... not that there is anything wrong with that as a solution. I don't know, but I imagine you could run NAA on the TotalDAC d1 server.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Pretty similar ... its an MPD player ... not that there is anything wrong with that as a solution. I don't know, but I imagine you could run NAA on the TotalDAC d1 server.

I wasn't thinking specifically of the TotalDAC, but generally of the ability to have a very high quality low cost streaming solution. (Miska offers a Linux image to run a Cubox as an NAA; and as you've pointed out, Eloise, the Cubox is very inexpensive on its own.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.