IGNORED

Funding? making SACD ripping available through USB!

Hi

Using this "little toy" I will be able to send digital to my DAC to play the Hi-Res files from my SACD?

Thank you!

Indirectly, yes. This simply replaces the PS3 as the ripping platform. You'll still need to extract the ripped ISOs to DSD (DSF/DFF) in either stereo or multichannel, or play the ISOs directly in a suitable player (JRiver, etc)...but the bluray drive is intended to be the ripper, just as an early OOP PS3 is today.

It is actually possible, with a Blu-ray/SACD player and a HDMI de-embedder. Depending on the configuration, there will be a 24/176 or 24/88 PCM signal coming out of the S/PDIF output of the de-embedder, which can be fed into any DAC.

I hope there is a way to pull the DSD off the disc without converting it to PCM. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I hope there is a way to pull the DSD off the disc without converting it to PCM. :)

With PS3 ripping and/or Mr Wicked's new BD drive project...yes.

With the HDMI de-embedder......no. This early on solution (I wrote about it almost 5 years ago) requires one to set their SACD player for SACD PCM priority (so PCM courses down the HDMI cable, not DSD) then the $50 Monoprice (or other) de-embedder grabs the PCM and sends it to the DAC of choice (either toslink or some do coax). It is usually 24/88 but some universals have SACD PCM priority set to 24/176. Hell, some do 16/88! Argh. Anyway, a poor mans solution..not much $ and fraught with jitter...but better than a poke in the eye.

Of course one could use HDMI and set the universal for DSD, but 99.9% of the backends that accept that are AVR's, not exactly your DAC of choice.

My first post here

Ditto.

This seems like a fantastically well-conceived project. The originality of thought and sheer hard work that went into the PS3 approach can only be applauded, but the falling number of (suitable) host machines available is, ultimately, a big limitation.

Bravissimo Mr Wicked!

I am interested in your project but only to buy your software if possible ? I mean I have a PS3 and I can find a case for the drive

thanks

I don't think that that's going to be possible. Mr. Wicked is building out the special hard drive enclosure needed, and will be bundling the software with it upon delivery. A regular USB hard drive enclosure won't work.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

99% of the activity on this thread seems to be people adding their name to Mr. Wicked's list, but there doesn't seem to be much info coming from Mr. Wicked either here or on his progress blog. Mr. Wicked, where do things stand?
This project seems to be in the early stages of design right now, and Mr Wicked seems to care about getting this right, rather than rushing the process.

I expect that it will be a big undertaking, and frankly would be surprised if the first few people start to receive their devices by the end of the year.

Now that is not a slight against Mr Wicked, just what I see as realistic expectations for a project like this.

And I'm sure that it will be worth the wait.

I'm rather annoyed at myself now, because I just checked the other day and saw that I actually forgot to sign up for a couple of these at the beginning, so I'm very far down the list.

I don't think that that's going to be possible. Mr. Wicked is building out the special hard drive enclosure needed, and will be bundling the software with it upon delivery. A regular USB hard drive enclosure won't work.

Will it be possible to buy the enclosure then, as I have mention, I do have the PS3 drive ?

Will it be possible to buy the enclosure then, as I have mention, I do have the PS3 drive ?

No one knows. As Skeptic said, and I agree, we're in the SUPER EARLY stages of all this. Let's just hang on, keep reading Mr. Wicked's blog or checking in here, and supporting him however he needs. I bet he doesn't need questions about different bundle options right now, but that's just me.

And like everything, it ain't gonna be finished tomorrow or the day after. So let's all hang on tight and get super pumped for launch day.

I'm rather annoyed at myself now, because I just checked the other day and saw that I actually forgot to sign up for a couple of these at the beginning, so I'm very far down the list.

I'm livid with myself. I saw this back when it first started and there were basically no signups. I was at a crossroads for my system and couldn't see how this would have fit in, so I dropped the idea and moved on. I'm kicking myself in the ass for it now. Bugger.

99% of the activity on this thread seems to be people adding their name to Mr. Wicked's list, but there doesn't seem to be much info coming from Mr. Wicked either here or on his progress blog. Mr. Wicked, where do things stand?

I think around page 5 theres a link to his blog.

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

• 2 weeks later...
Very interested, this page has gotten me out the shadows lol.

Djoel

And thanks for sharing, Dan. I am following Mr. Wicked's progress. Will buy into this even though my two PS3's are functional at this time ... you never know.

Jeff