IGNORED

Funding? making SACD ripping available through USB!

Just signed up to get in on this.....albeit a little late. I've got lots of SACD's I would really like to back-up as I now do with DVD-A's to FLAC. Sure hope this project happens!

For the meantime I would check Gumtree / eBay and other classifieds.

There are still the appropriate PS3 available for creating back up / archive rips of SACD and for a lot less than the 220 that this USB drive would sell for if developed.

I have archived all of my SACD's and because I am a pop/rock rather than Classical musical fan, it is unlikely that any further SACD of interest to me will be released.

My trouble free and fully working PS3 is therefore about to be sold, if anyone from the UK is interested (and possibly the EU)

• 2 weeks later...
I have archived all of my SACD's and because I am a pop/rock rather than Classical musical fan, it is unlikely that any further SACD of interest to me will be released.

I take it that you must not have noticed the continuous stream of Pop/Rock SACDs coming out of audio-fidelity over the past couple of years? Nor have you noticed the even larger stream of the new Pop/Rock SHM SACDs out of Universal Japan, nor the ones out of Mobile Fidelity? The fact is that these companies have been releasing older Rock albums on SACD like crazy over the past couple of years. The SACD format has really enjoyed a major resurgence.

I take it that you must not have noticed the continuous stream of Pop/Rock SACDs coming out of audio-fidelity over the past couple of years? Nor have you noticed the even larger stream of the new Pop/Rock SHM SACDs out of Universal Japan, nor the ones out of Mobile Fidelity? The fact is that these companies have been releasing older Rock albums on SACD like crazy over the past couple of years. The SACD format has really enjoyed a major resurgence.

Agreed...and very happy about it!

• 4 weeks later...
For those interested, there's an update on the SACD Ripper blog... and now we know two things: 1) progress is being made, and 2) that our intrepid Ripper has a personal life...! (Who'd have thought that...?) :)

Thanks. May I have the link to the blog you mentioned?

• 3 weeks later...

It's still being tested at the moment and let's see how it goes. Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corporation made some BD burners for laptops

https://tsstodd.com/eng/company/overview/

There are quite a few of them from the SE-506 series

http://www.samsung.com/de/consumer/memory-storage/external-drives/external/SE-506AB/TSBD

SE-506AB

http://www.samsung.com/de/consumer/memory-storage/external-drives/external/SE-506BB/TSBD

SE-506BB

http://www.samsung.com/de/consumer/memory-storage/external-drives/external/SE-506CB/RSBD

http://www.samsung.com/de/consumer/memory-storage/external-drives/external/SE-506CB/RSWD

SE-506CB

Someone bought that SE-506 USB external BD burner and inserted typical SACD Hybrid into that drive. AnyDVD could recognize the Redbook layer while reporting "unsupported format" for the SACD layer.

I'll ask that guy to test AnyDVD and SACD Hybrid with another plain vanilla drive again. He claimed that SE-506 could be found inside one of those Toshiba Blu-ray players but they didn't pay Philips/Sony the license fees for Scarlet Book. In other words, hardware support for Scarlet Book should be hidden since that decoder chip for SACD layer was still there.

I know it's almost like some kinda urban legend for now, let's wait and see how it goes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How do I add myself to this list?

go to first post in thread and the links are there

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Am I still able to get in on this? Just found a huge SACD collection my grandfather left behind and I desperately need something like this.

Sure, just go to the link at the beginning of the thread and register. It's not yet a product, it's still in development.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Is there a progress report anywhere?

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Mr. Wicked-

Ignore the naysayers! I'm sure I speak for others when I say we appreciate your efforts and will be happy to pay you for the finished product when it is ready.

Mr. Wicked-

Ignore the naysayers! I'm sure I speak for others when I say we appreciate your efforts and will be happy to pay you for the finished product when it is ready.

+1. Silent but very supportive gallery member, here. On the list for a long time and not worried or hurried! Ready to assist, but won't be much technical help, unless you need an errand boy to do documentation, or stuff a few boards, or buy you a few parts. Don't be afraid to ask for help?.