IGNORED

Funding? making SACD ripping available through USB!

No, that wouldn't work. From what I understand, the encryption keys for SACD players (other than the old PS3 ones) are not known and therefore you couldn't bypass the built-in hardware encryption that prevents reading the ISO's off of SACD discs.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Long time lurker and my 1st post here.

The need of of an old PS3 drive requirement. <-- Does it need to be from the one that support SACD playback already or any Fat PS3 unit would do?

Thanks for making this clear for me in advance.

It needs to have SACD support.

doh.. I was hoping that the rom used inside the later ones that didn't list SACD the same as the one that does as manufacturer would purchase a load of the same item at the time to decrease cost. Sony may disable the feature on the firmware level only.

If one need to get the PS3 that supports SACD to start with, why would they join this project other than they have upgrade to the newer firmware.

Anyway, I am still interested in this project.

doh.. I was hoping that the rom used inside the later ones that didn't list SACD the same as the one that does as manufacturer would purchase a load of the same item at the time to decrease cost. Sony may disable the feature on the firmware level only.

If one need to get the PS3 that supports SACD to start with, why would they join this project other than they have upgrade to the newer firmware.

I believe it's a hardware decryption chip rather than a firmware change. The SACD support was removed to reduce the cost of the system.

The project is so that you remove the PS3 from the equation. You no longer have to worry about whether the PS3 is functional, or whether it's running the right firmware - you just need a drive that works.

Yes. It sounds to me that this project would require one to have a PS3 optical rom drive but I am confused as from which version of the PS3 hardware one really need.

If it was the hardware decryption chipset that really enable the SACD support on the original fat PS3, wouldn't one think that ANY fat PS3 would have the best chance of using the same optical rom unit as the first batch?

Certainly crossing my finger and subscribe to this thread for the follow-ups.

I believe it's a hardware decryption chip rather than a firmware change. The SACD support was removed to reduce the cost of the system.

The project is so that you remove the PS3 from the equation. You no longer have to worry about whether the PS3 is functional, or whether it's running the right firmware - you just need a drive that works.

Mr Wicked supplies the PS3 SACD drive.

From his first post .......'I will supply you with an enclosure that contains a refurbished PS3 blu-ray player and a USB connection.'

Because the old PS3 platform is retired, hard to find, and flaky when it works. Mine worked great when I first got it, now I'm down to one or two rips per day. I look forward to having something more reliable.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Signed up, no.332 ;) How's the project coming along?

sacd-ripper

no recent update.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi all,

First time I've posted, been lurking on CA for a few weeks great site. I just signed up for 1, now I'm thinking I'll need 2. I've been all over ebay and Craigslist to find either a PS3 or a person who can downgrade the firmware chip on my original sacd capable PS3 and load the software needed to rip.

I hardly ever used the unit it would be great to be able to use it to rip sacd's but this idea sounds like a much better solution. Anyone know when Mr. Wicked will get to a point where he can say if he'll actually be able to pull this off or not?

Mr. Wicked didn't ask us for any money, so we don't have much to complain about. He has a life other than working on this project.

I'm sure at some point he will complete his final prototype and start taking actual orders. At that point we can complain if the devices don't arrive in a reasonable amount of time or as promised at that point.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Mr. Wicked didn't ask us for any money, so we don't have much to complain about. He has a life other than working on this project.

I'm sure at some point he will complete his final prototype and start taking actual orders. At that point we can complain if the devices don't arrive in a reasonable amount of time or as promised at that point.

Well said.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Will I also be able to backup my Blu-ray discs to hard drive with this unit?

You don't need anything special to do this... Just a standard Blu-Ray reader and suitable software such as MakeMKV or AnyDVD-HD.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Will I also be able to backup my Blu-ray discs to hard drive with this unit?

I would recommend buying a regular Blu-ray drive and AnyDVD HD or MakeMKV as Eloise suggests.

Even if it is possible to use this drive to rip Blu-rays, why wear down the drive - which is the only thing that can currently rip SACDs, and becoming scarce - when a $50 drive will do a better job? (the PS3 drive is only 2x speed)

Wow - this is great! I just ran across this thread. I've been using an old Pioneer DV-45a to play SACDs and DVD-As. It's pre-HDMI and I've been using a Marantz SR5007 receiver that also has 7.1 analog input but it's dying. Almost no new receivers have 7.1 analog inputs anymore so I'd have to get a new receiver and universal player (like an Oppo). And, of course, that doesn't help get new SACDs onto my NAS for backup or playing with Media Center. So, I'm definitely in for this and just signed up.

Question: Is the software that will be needed for the ripping Windows? Mac? Linux? If only Windows, would it have any problem working on a Mac under Windows-7 in Fusion?

Thanks,

David

Question: Is the software that will be needed for the ripping Windows? Mac? Linux? If only Windows, would it have any problem working on a Mac under Windows-7 in Fusion?

Thanks,

David

I believe that Mr. Wicked has stated that both Windows and Mac ripping software will be provided.

Edit:

Or rather, a link for you to download the software for both platforms will be provided ;) I can understand his hesitance in providing this software to us directly.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3