IGNORED

Linear Powered Rips & flash drives sound better - Alex was right !

1) Digital systems clearly have noise and deal with noise. It is certainly possible that such noise might get embedded into the hard disc surface.

1a) It is possible that via the power supply, such noise encoded on the disc platter might cause another type of noise during the disc readout.

2) The fact that (1,1a) is true does not entail that such noise can itself contain information that can be reliably transmitted along with the digital file. That is to say that even if the process of digital readout from the hard disc surface itself produces a noise pattern such noise should not be reliably incorporated into the storage system's RAM cache, nor transmitted over an Ethernet connection.

2a) Hard drive systems that employ mirroring or raidz1/2 will not preserve such noise information that might find itself encoded on the disc platter.

2b) Ethernet systems are not capable of transmitting noise information from a hard disc readout.

3) The receiving node/computer will typically buffer the digital file in RAM. I have suggested that this process will decouple the hard drive noise from the digital file. It has been stated (JS) that this works assuming the hard drive is turned off/physically disconnected from the node/computer. That is true to the extent that when the hard drive is turned off, the NO noise from the drive can affect the RAM, but regardless, assuming that a certain amount of time has passed, whatever noise from the hard drive electronics that might affect the RAM is not the same noise/signal that was encoded during the creation of the file itself.

Let me say this clearly: it is not reasonable that error signal during the "ripping" process to present itself to the RAM assuming the "ripping" process and presentation to RAM is buffered by some finite time period.***

Moreover if the error signal during disc readout is affected by factors such as drive/sector/block layout then the process of copying the file from a "dirty" disc to a "clean" disc would wipeout such errors.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Tarring a single file is something only an audiophile will do, but lets just forget about that :)

Of course many forum posters end up both tarred AND feathered!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Tarring a single file is something only an audiophile will do, but lets just forget about that :)

Well, unless it is a BIG file and you are moving it and a whole set of folders around over the net... then tar works just great. Pipe the output of the tar process to the input of another tar process somewhere else. Or I guess, use cpio - but that has such a SYSV flavor...(!)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I am in error! I had known that "tar" could be a container only (i.e. not using "gzip" for compression) -- "zip" correctly encompasses both and not just "gzip" as I had assumed.

Nonetheless... the fact that "zip files without compression" are sent via the internet (e.g. the SMTP protocol) does not alter the fact that they are encoded and decoded.

I have found that when I send comparison files via the Internet, that when I DL them again and compare them directly with the original, that Uncompressed Zips after decoding again, normally sound a little closer to the original than when sent as a .wav file. Now that some vendors give the option of high res file DLs in both .flac and .wav files, I still DL the .flac versions ,which I can even burn to a CD-R and after extraction to an electrically quieter location, appear to have suffered no further degradation. As the PSU area of my PC improves, the difference between the .flac files when played "on the fly" and the decoded .wav file becomes much harder to detect, although I can still reliably pick which file is which with a good recording. One of my favourite recordings for checking this is "Claire Martin-Too Darn Hot" in 24/96 from a .flac DL from Linn in 2008.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Alex -

Sorry to hear of your difficulty, and best of luck to you.

I'm in my early 50s, and already am experiencing substantial pain and reduced mobility from arthritis in both hips, both knees, and both ankles, so have a good deal of empathy for you.

Please keep us advised as to your condition and treatment - I'm sure we all wish you the best.

- John

John

If you also suffer from lower back pain at times, due to the Arthritis, then I would recommend that you try Curcumin which is derived from the spice Turmeric, which is frequently used in Indian cooking.

The 2nd night after starting on it, I was for the first time in many months able to turn over in bed without severe pain.

It is a very potent anti-oxidant, and has even been linked to improvements with Cancer and other health problems.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

I guess this is proof of the old adage that is far easier to see the faults in others than the faults in ourselves.

Apparently that's why we get married :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

As the PSU area of my PC improves, the difference between the .flac files when played "on the fly" and the decoded .wav file becomes much harder to detect, although I can still reliably pick which file is which with a good recording. One of my favourite recordings for checking this is "Claire Martin-Too Darn Hot" in 24/96 from a .flac DL from Linn in 2008.

Alex

Aha, perhaps we are getting somewhere. If you are playing a .flac file "on the fly", its possible that it sounds different than the equivalent .wav file (that could very well depend on system, software etc)

Suppose this: you've encoded a FLAC from a WAV using a linear PSU powered computer. Now you decode the FLAC also on a linear PSU powered computer. Store the original WAV along with the "round tripped" WAV on the same "Corsair" flash drive. Can you reliably tell which is which?

there's no banner headline on the homepage saying, Computer Audiophile - Welcome to the Cult.

There's no banner in Hydrogen Audio either, saying welcome to the deaf old blowhard Engineers club either,

or we only believe what we can correlate with our own measurements. Everything is so cut and dried with these relics from last century, and what they were taught at Uni decades earlier is still regarded by many of them as cutting edge research.

There's no banner in Hydrogen Audio either, saying welcome to the deaf old blowhard Engineers club either,

or we only believe what we can correlate with our own measurements. Everything is so cut and dried with these relics from last century, and what they were taught at Uni decades earlier is still regarded by many of them as cutting edge research.

Alex, it's good to see that your knee problems haven't affected your spirits. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Suppose this: you've encoded a FLAC from a WAV using a linear PSU powered computer. Now you decode the FLAC also on a linear PSU powered computer. Store the original WAV along with the "round tripped" WAV on the same "Corsair" flash drive. Can you reliably tell which is which?

YES ! I have said this many times previously, and well before TAS 220 and 221 reported similar.

I always play from System Memory too, using the minimalist program cPlay.

Of course many forum posters end up both tarred AND feathered!

Tar & feathers feeds the "audiophile" forums of the world. Not so on the Bonsai fora, but when some Bonsaist comments on experiments on how to "torture" Bonsai Trees , or some unknown procedure on plant reproduction, nobody says "you are wrong and against nature laws..."

Roch

Tar & feathers feeds the "audiophile" forums of the world. Not so on the Bonsai fora, but when some Bonsaist comments on experiments on how to "torture" Bonsai Trees , or some unknown procedure on plant reproduction, nobody says "you are wrong and against nature laws..."

Roch

Binary Process you are the 1 if you prove it and the 0 if not.

For the torture Alex is not easy to impress (see his post about hydrogen audio):)

Binary Process you are the 1 if you prove it and the 0 if not.

For the torture Alex is not easy to impress (see his post about hydrogen audio):)

Mother nature is more difficult to understand than 1 & 0 's and even more difficult to modify (manipulate, like Monsanto), like ADN chains, but there are process...

My point was, you can do (or not) what Alex with bits retrieving, storage and playing, you are not obligated to.

In my humble opinion on all this sh*t my big fear are two cases:

- We're losing the ability to listen to others.

- We are losing the ability to discern when listening to music.

Noisy, polluted and feared, then stressed, world? Inflated egos? Don't know. I'm not on a philosophical mood today

Roch

John

If you also suffer from lower back pain at times, due to the Arthritis, then I would recommend that you try Curcumin which is derived from the spice Turmeric, which is frequently used in Indian cooking.

The 2nd night after starting on it, I was for the first time in many months able to turn over in bed without severe pain.

It is a very potent anti-oxidant, and has even been linked to improvements with Cancer and other health problems.

Regards

Alex

Yep, lower back pain, as well. I'll have to give it a try!

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

If you feel that way you should just lurk quietly, or leave and find some other online community where your negativity is more welcome. I'm putting you on Ignore right now, since I don't see any useful contributions coming from your posts :(

But, the main reason for my single post in this thread, is to help me more easily find it in the 'New Posts' result list, so I can continue to lurk here on this 'train wreck with possibilities' :)

Another constructive post by the AudioExpress.......here here sir!

I'm pretty sure that was exactly the pope's opinion about galileo & his friends. 'Surprinsingly' noone even remembers the name of that funny pope dude.

I'm pretty sure that was exactly the pope's opinion about galileo & his friends. 'Surprinsingly' noone even remembers the name of that funny pope dude.

Dude

That Pope was more like a typical Gasbag Forum Moderator who refuses to accept the validity of OBSERVATIONS by others, not just based on THEORY, but real observations, just as many members here report.

The pope was Paul V. Cardinal Roberto Bellarmino did the bidding for the forces opposed to the Enlightenment.

If you feel that way you should just lurk quietly, or leave and find some other online community where your negativity is more welcome. I'm putting you on Ignore right now, since I don't see any useful contributions coming from your posts :(

But, the main reason for my single post in this thread, is to help me more easily find it in the 'New Posts' result list, so I can continue to lurk here on this 'train wreck with possibilities' :)

+1

This is precisely not the thread to talk about spending money in "vaporware". Alex make his experiments with very low budget, like the power regulator hi use & usb sticks.

Roch

YES ! I have said this many times previously, and well before TAS 220 and 221 reported similar.

I always play from System Memory too, using the minimalist program cPlay.

But you have never even realized that on a daily basis my remote control software has been switching those files one your drives without you suspecting. In reality you prefer the bits that have been compressed and then decompressed and I have incontrovertable proof.

:)

But you have never even realized that on a daily basis my remote control software has been switching those files one your drives without you suspecting. In reality you prefer the bits that have been compressed and then decompressed and I have incontrovertable proof.

Jabberwocky

I answered your question in good faith, and this is the crap you come back with ?

That would be a bloody good trick when most of the time the Corsair Voyager and it's PSU aren't even switched on !

Why don't you just go away and stop being a stupid, far from humorous TROLL ?

All further questions from you will be ignored.

Jabberwocky

I answered your question in good faith, and this is the crap you come back with ?

That would be a bloody good trick when most of the time the Corsair Voyager and it's PSU aren't even switched on !

Why don't you just go away and stop being a stupid, far from humorous TROLL ?

All further questions from you will be ignored.

Ha!! If you understand the term "jabberwocky", you really ought understand that I was hardly trolling (I'm offended :-) Rather a thought experiment for you. If I "assert" that what I've said is the case, you need to "prove" to me that it isn't.

These are valid logical "propositions" --- for reference:

Proof by contrapositive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contraposition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Transposition (logic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really?

Dude

That Pope was more like a typical Gasbag Forum Moderator who refuses to accept the validity of OBSERVATIONS by others, not just based on THEORY, but real observations, just as many members here report.

Actually, Galileo's problems with the church came far more from his bad attitude and non-existent people skills than the church having grief over his support of the Copernican theory. In fact, probably all of them came from that - he was a total ass, and took much glee from trumping other people and insisting his ideas were the only right ones.

Insisting in fact, that everyone agree with him.

You realize the church was willing to wait for proof that the ideas were right, and then go re-evaluate their interpretations of scripture to identfy where they got it wrong.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Ha!! If you understand the term "jabberwocky", you really ought understand that I was hardly trolling (I'm offended :-) Rather a thought experiment for you. If I "assert" that what I've said is the case, you need to "prove" to me that it isn't.

These are valid logical "propositions" --- for reference:

Proof by contrapositive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contraposition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Transposition (logic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was a bit of a brain when I was a kid (too much smoked herb in my teens probably dulled that), and at 10 years old my favorite game was the rather difficult logic game WFF N PROOF (they still sell it: WFF 'N PROOF: The Game of Modern Logic).

Maybe I should bone up with it again so I can better participate in audio debates. ;)