IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

... and this shouldn't be changed.

I agree to that....

How many times have we previously seen nice software of all kinds grow into bloated non functioning "suites".

To play with a few well thought out extras could be OK but in no way before all core functions is in place and rock solid.

Finally! I will hook Aries to my rig over the weekend and test android app out. I have had Aries for a over a month, burning with anticipation of android app :) Since I don't own iPad, I am hoping that everything I need will work right away. I don't care for radio/online streaming services, all I need is to be able to control audio streaming from either NAS or ideally USB drive.

My dropping issue (i.e., the Lightning App dropping the Aries and the music stopping as a result) seems to have been largely solved by changing my wireless network channel from automatic to a fixed address. I say largely because I've found that when I put the Aries in uPnP mode and then switch back to OpenHome, the drops start up again. If I reboot the modem and leave the Aries in OpenHome, the drops stop. A small pain as I like the Jremote interface better than Lightning, but I can live with Lighting.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this.

My dropping issue (i.e., the Lightning App dropping the Aries and the music stopping as a result) seems to have been largely solved by changing my wireless network channel from automatic to a fixed address. I say largely because I've found that when I put the Aries in uPnP mode and then switch back to OpenHome, the drops start up again. If I reboot the modem and leave the Aries in OpenHome, the drops stop. A small pain as I like the Jremote interface better than Lightning, but I can live with Lighting.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this.

One thing that leaps to my mind is whether JRiver media library supports OH.

What happens if Aries expect to receive a playlist and the uPnP mediaserver in JRiver does not provide one? Have you tried installing minimserver on your PC?

Question about the QOBUZ or TIDAL integration: can we built a playlist that includes a mix of music files stored locally and music files streamed from Tidal or Qobuz ? This will be a « real » good integration of those streaming devices ! :-)

note: with Aurender it is possible to have in the same playlist a mix of music stored locally and music streamed from TIDAL !!

Question about the QOBUZ or TIDAL integration: can we built a playlist that includes a mix of music files stored locally and music files streamed from Tidal or Qobuz ?

Unfortunately no, this is currently not possible.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

One thing that leaps to my mind is whether JRiver media library supports OH.

What happens if Aries expect to receive a playlist and the uPnP mediaserver in JRiver does not provide one? Have you tried installing minimserver on your PC?

Using Jriver with the Aries in OH works fine. It also works fine when you switch the Aries to uPnP. It is only when I switch back from uPnP to OH that the drops begin again and rebooting the modem has been the only way I've discovered to stop the drops.

I have minimserver as well but experience the same problem if I'm using the minimserver as the server.

Hello,

i have a following bug:

- cannot pause and resume playback -> No sound anymore

- sometimes playback stops or i cannot play a track. I have to exit LDS and start again.

I am on FW 2.1 and LDS android. Wave music stored in usb key

I face same issues in UpnP mode and BubbleDS android client.

Could you confirm?

As I just have read in the latest firmware release notes this should be possible with Firmware Version 2.1 Build 20150210:

"Device now allows mixed playing queue from local music files and streaming (waiting for new Lightning DS V2.0 to enable this function)"

Thanks but... what do they mean by "streaming". is it streaming from the NAS or "really" streaming from Qobuz/tidal ?

Hello,

i have a following bug:

- cannot pause and resume playback -> No sound anymore

- sometimes playback stops or i cannot play a track. I have to exit LDS and start again.

I am on FW 2.1 and LDS android. Wave music stored in usb key

I face same issues in UpnP mode and BubbleDS android client.

Could you confirm?

Try rescanning/refreshing your library cache.

fabien44 - Do you only have the Android device to playback music from the Aries? No Mac to run Kinsky, no iPad, no iPhone, or other device to try a different control point such as those by Linn or Lumin, other than running the Lightning DS software on an Android?

I do see you ave also tried putting the Aries in uPnP mode and using a BubbleDS Android client.

The reason I ask is that could narrow down the issue for you.

Also is your wireless network running on the 2.4Ghz or 5.0 Ghz band, are you running 802.11n?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Hello,

no i don't own any Apple device. I only rely on Android software.

In fact, i test with only 50 tracks stored on 8Gb usb files. It scans in 5 seconds.

But issues occur also in UpnP mode (my client is BubbleDS) so i guess it is a FW related problem with library, don't you think?

Hello fabien44 - Not sure. Couple more questions for you, what format are the files in (WAV, AIFF, FLAC, etc..)

Also what are you using for a PC? Is it a Windows, or Linux machine? You could try running control software on your PC to see if the behavior is the same.

What are you using for a USB drive, and how is it formatted?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

You can try the Linn Kinsky software, it runs under Windows. It is located here. I have used it on my Mac and it works with the Aries. I keep the Aries in OpenHome mode when I use it.

USB key seems to be fine.

I'm very much looking forward to being able to mix library and streaming.

Has Auralic given any hints on the 2.0 LDS upgrade?

Yes, mixing Tidal and local music on same playlist is kinda fun. I do that on the Aurender; it is interesting to have a Tidal track followed by a local track (same song) to compare, for example.

fabien44 - Your welcome, glad to hear an external HDD works. As for the USB drive, you could try reformatting the USB drive, ensuring it has one partition only.

Barr

Brand new Aries owner here (woohoo!). I am really impressed with LDS (I'm on an iPad), once I got used to the queue approach - I kept expecting the Aries to play the tracks after the one I selected in the album like iTunes. Works great with Minimserver on my QNAP.

Quite the impressive package, coming into this after a lot of the teething pains were resolved.

Keith

Rig 1: CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, VTF-15H, Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-5, Aries Deluxe via S/PDIF

Rig 2: Sennheiser HD650, Woo WA-2, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Sony HAP-Z1ES

Welcome Keith. Yes, I noted the same thing at first, other than if you select the title of an album ( in which case it plays all tracks on the album ) if you select a track on the album it does not play through until the end of the album.