IGNORED

HQ Player

Miska, you've mentioned a few times that different filters suit different types of music. Is there a way to change filters automatically based on what's being played, maybe from a genre tag?

If him and Roon cooperate more, like Roon had access to his filters , Roon could most likely do this. This is possible technicality, but in worst case that may change the whole philosophy behind how Miska thinks HQPLAYER should be. (It will not be a stand alone player any more).

I have discussed this before with Miska and Roon, and they both had indicated possible solutions, though my question was not so dramatic as yours, as I only wanted to control/ change filters from the Roon interface.

I shall try to see if I can past links to you later.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index263.html#post586743

My opinion is that someone like Sonore or Uptone should built a powerful Linux device for headless HQPlayer interface with Roon.

The future for computer audio is to get rid of the computer [emoji3]

Use Sonic Transporter, MicroRendu, and stand alone USB / SPDIF converters (Singxer), and "something" that do upsamling and filters, and use a DAC, that may not do internal upsampling. I think the term is NOS DAC. (Holo)

I think I have a problem with HQ Player Preferences. I can no longer up sample on my w4s dac 2 to 192K. I have unchecked the auto rate family but i only get a choice of 88 or 176 in the drop down menu? Have quit and restarted HQ Player but this does not help. I also tried with my Schitt Bifrost DAC and still the same. 44.1K will only upsample to 88 or 176k while 48k and 96k can upsample to 192K. Seems that the checking or unchecking the auto rate family has no effect as it is stuck on the auto rate family.

could my preference file be corrupt if so where is it located?

I think I have a problem with HQ Player Preferences. I can no longer up sample on my w4s dac 2 to 192K. I have unchecked the auto rate family but i only get a choice of 88 or 176 in the drop down menu? Have quit and restarted HQ Player but this does not help. I also tried with my Schitt Bifrost DAC and still the same. 44.1K will only upsample to 88 or 176k while 48k and 96k can upsample to 192K. Seems that the checking or unchecking the auto rate family has no effect as it is stuck on the auto rate family.

could my preference file be corrupt if so where is it located?

What filter are you using?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Miska, you've mentioned a few times that different filters suit different types of music. Is there a way to change filters automatically based on what's being played, maybe from a genre tag?

Miska has mentioned the modulators beginning with "A" have some adaptive qualities. Whether this extends to working well for different genres I don't know.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

What filter are you using?

Jud

Thanks! I had been using Poly-Sync filters but was experimenting with IIR, FIR, AsymFIR, etc. I guess these filters limit you to 2X or 4X. Going back to the Poly-sync family of filters does give me more options up tp 192k. Can't believe I did not try that before my post. Thanks for your help, thought I was losing my mind

Thanks! I had been using Poly-Sync filters but was experimenting with IIR, FIR, AsymFIR, etc. I guess these filters limit you to 2X or 4X. Going back to the Poly-sync family of filters does give me more options up tp 192k.

Well for PCM, I--and most others here--find that the Poly-sinc-* family of filters sounds best anyway (they are what bested the best custom filter I could make with iZotope Advanced in Audirvana+ a couple of years ago and brought me over to HQP). So stick with those.

I'd really like to have HQPlayer automatically turn off all filters when I play an MQA file. Having to do this manually may get more annoying in the near future if Tidal start streaming MQA.

I tried TrueOS (FreeBSD-CURRENT dressed up) the other day, and remembered why I stopped using it: It doesn't have drivers for my DAC.

In the process, I changed my Linux install from a Xubuntu-Lubuntu hybrid to a fresh install of Lubuntu. Interesting that now playing via NAA, with which I used to get infrequent but annoying stuttering, works seamlessly so far. Perhaps fewer processes running on the OS, perhaps just luck.

Is anyone using the Matrix feature of HQplayer to create a cross feed (usually called X-feed) function for headphone listening?

Would this be a naive way to implement xfeed, compared to the fancy plug-ins for things like JRiver that implement xfeed on that platform?

What would the settings look like, if anyone is doing it?

I already asked more times for the possibility to use convolution engine for headphone crossfeed functionality. It seems no such solution is available. I would like to use it for DSD recordings. For PCM recordings I am using Meier crossfeed DSP with my foobar2000 playlist to HQPlayer solution (see my signature).

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

I am investigating using HQ Player. I currently use JRiver and want to continue using it for my database and UI. So, I am looking for a way to pipe the output of JRiver into HQ Player. Using DLNA would be fine but I am not sure if I can do that with HQ Player. I use Gizmo on a tablet to control Jriver, so I need a solution that has an automatic connection between JRiver and HQ Player. Is DLNA available within HQ Player or is there another option? I have searched but not found a good discussion on this. Thanks.

I already asked more times for the possibility to use convolution engine for headphone crossfeed functionality. It seems no such solution is available. I would like to use it for DSD recordings. For PCM recordings I am using Meier crossfeed DSP with my foobar2000 playlist to HQPlayer solution (see my signature).

You can do it with the matrix pipeline processing. You need to pick up filter you want, but the engine capability is there...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I'd really like to have HQPlayer automatically turn off all filters when I play an MQA file. Having to do this manually may get more annoying in the near future if Tidal start streaming MQA.

Depends if you have MQA capable DAC or not... If you don't, you may want to use either of the MQA filters in HQPlayer.

But overall, MQA is best avoided altogether, unless you like to hear a lossy version...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Jud, are you running Lubuntu on the machine hosting NAA or the upsampling machine or both?

Lubuntu on the upsampling machine (self built 2010 vintage desktop in upstairs office). NAA is a Cubox-TV downstairs running Miska's Cubox image.

You can do it with the matrix pipeline processing. You need to pick up filter you want, but the engine capability is there...

Where can I pick up filter I want? Why the whole world wide web doesn't contain such a thing?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Miska, thanks for answers, but ... I didn't find anything concrete in your answers I could use. I found no example on the web. The goal is not somehow to mix left and right channel and to say "I have a crossfeed". Really well functioning crossfeed, like Meier crossfeed, utilises delays from right channel signal mixed to left one and it doesn't process all frequencies equally. So it is not so easy like multichannel to stereo for listening on speakers.

More well functioning crossfeed and stereo to binaural plugins exist. VST like Redline Monitor, Isone Pro, Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP, plugins for foobar2000 like Meier crossfeed and the crossfeed implementation in Jriver are examples. But they are PCM only and HQPlayer lacks interface for them.