IGNORED

HQ Player

Question for you. I have an audio interface (ADC / DAC) that I would like to run my turntable into and also use as my output device. ASIO input and output. RIAA correction is applied via convolution.

I'm doing this now with jriver. Possible to do with HQPlayer?

That wouldn't be called HQPlayer, it would be called something else... I don't want one thing that tries to be be little bit of everything but just mediocre on every single thing. I rather have one or more separate things that are good on precisely one thing. :)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

That wouldn't be called HQPlayer, it would be called something else... I don't want one thing that tries to be be little bit of everything but just mediocre on every single thing. I rather have one or more separate things that are good on precisely one thing. :)

Perhaps you could trick HQPlayer into handling this by wrapping the digital stream in a file interface -- HQPlayer might want a file length? That could be made arbitrary.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Perhaps you could trick HQPlayer into handling this by wrapping the digital stream in a file interface -- HQPlayer might want a file length? That could be made arbitrary.

It doesn't need length, for example with Roon there's no length. I just don't like doing that kind of trick and trying to bend HQPlayer to do something it is not designed to do. It doesn't mean I couldn't design something for that purpose too. I'm just not particularly fond of multi-purpose tools.

Hi guys, just a quick note:

Been using HQP with T+A DAC 8 DSD for a few weeks now and have settled at converting everything to DSD512 with poly-sinc-mp and DSD5v2 256+fs

Love the sound especially the bass is better than I have ever heard in my system: BIG but sweet and soft at the same time.

Great work Jussi! thank you sooo much ;-)

Any other T+A DAC8 DSD users on here that use HQP and want to share their favorite settings?

is there a list of favorite HQP settings per DAC somewhere? and I mean a real list not an endless thread

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

That wouldn't be called HQPlayer, it would be called something else...

This is what you could do ... let HQPlayer accept plugins. Plenty of software accepts plugins ... nobody thinks that Photoshop isn't Photoshop because it accepts plugins :) I can only dream of what people would write for HQPlayer. Maybe a VST engine. Maybe new interfaces. Maybe even a digital line in!

Miska, many people think HQP is the best sounding player in the business. It is sad that you have to limit it this way.

This is what you could do ... let HQPlayer accept plugins. Plenty of software accepts plugins ... nobody thinks that Photoshop isn't Photoshop because it accepts plugins :) I can only dream of what people would write for HQPlayer. Maybe a VST engine. Maybe new interfaces. Maybe even a digital line in!

I could add plugin support, but it wouldn't be VST because it is too limited in mindset. It would need to be a HQPlayer specific custom plugin interface. But I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort and if there would be any plugins, and how to make sure every plugin would support DSD processing and all the three platforms.

People can already make new control GUIs (there are already four alternatives), replace the existing full-screen GUI, and send their own streams to HQPlayer just like Roon does.

If people would ask Adobe to make Photoshop a camera firmware replacement, I'm pretty sure Adobe would say that it is not suitable for the purpose but that would have to be another product. Just like they created Lightroom which is half-way between camera and Photoshop.

It doesn't need length, for example with Roon there's no length. I just don't like doing that kind of trick and trying to bend HQPlayer to do something it is not designed to do. It doesn't mean I couldn't design something for that purpose too. I'm just not particularly fond of multi-purpose tools.

Fair enough, though in Linux everything is a file ;)

I've been considering a multichannel variant of DSC1 along with kernel filters that would make a very slick crossover in a multiamp situation. I think that's within your target intentions though and that said I'm not going back to vinyl.

I think that someone who really wanted that feature could do it without your assistance by dropping the appropriate "/dev" file into HQPlayer

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Is this with ASIO backend or WASAPI? If it happens with ASIO backend, try switching to WASAPI...

Miska, tried with WASAPI. I can drag and drop a file, when I press play button a blue progress bar appears, it progresses from left to right, then right to left. Once only. But HQP does not start olaying. Just sits there. It doesnt crash, I can clear the playlist and drag another file into HQP, but same thing happens - the progress bar appears, goes back and forth once, and HQP appears to sit there in idle.

Thanks, Paul.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

@Miska, I have a DAC that won't accept files above 176khz. I have set this limit in settings and checked auto rate family option. When I play 44khz files everything upsamples to 176 as expected. 48 files get upsamplesd to 96. 192 files get down sampled to 96 as expected. However, if I play a 96 file it gets down sampled to 48. Shouldn't HQP leave it as 96?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

@Miska, I have a DAC that won't accept files above 176khz. I have set this limit in settings and checked auto rate family option. When I play 44khz files everything upsamples to 176 as expected. 48 files get upsamplesd to 96. 192 files get down sampled to 96 as expected. However, if I play a 96 file it gets down sampled to 48. Shouldn't HQP leave it as 96?

It depends on your filter selection. Some filters support 1:1 rate conversions and some don't...

Miska, tried with WASAPI. I can drag and drop a file, when I press play button a blue progress bar appears, it progresses from left to right, then right to left. Once only. But HQP does not start olaying. Just sits there. It doesnt crash, I can clear the playlist and drag another file into HQP, but same thing happens - the progress bar appears, goes back and forth once, and HQP appears to sit there in idle.

That usually happens when the device is kept busy by some other application or the driver is otherwise refusing to respond. Please enable log file, restart HQPlayer, attempt playback and then email me the log file.

Has something changed between the 3.14.4 update and the 3.14.3? the closed form filter is now using 85% with interrupts 13% while on previous version it only used around 50-52% totally. nothing has changed in settings.

Only the things listed on the web page. So I optimized initialization phase of the convolution engine. And fixed one timing problem in one CUDA algorithm initialization which sometimes resulted in silent output. Nothing else.

Of course OS, compilers, etc get periodic updates, at different times on different platforms with more or less unknown content.

Only the things listed on the web page. So I optimized initialization phase of the convolution engine. And fixed one timing problem in one CUDA algorithm initialization which sometimes resulted in silent output. Nothing else.

Of course OS, compilers, etc get periodic updates, at different times on different platforms with more or less unknown content.

Kinda weird because its only the closed form that behaves this way on 3.14.4, if it actually was because of compilers shouldn't all filters have increased cpu usage?

If i disable 1 core in the affinity on hqplayer process the CPU usage lowers SQ stays the same with no stutters, enabling it again increases the usage.

EDIT: Ok so using the older exe file gives same cpu usage when used with 3.14.4 files, reverting to the older files but newer 3.14.4 binary reduces CPU usage.

If i disable 1 core in the affinity on hqplayer process the CPU usage lowers SQ stays the same with no stutters, enabling it again increases the usage.

You really shouldn't play with any priority or affinity settings of HQPlayer process, it really screws up the internals badly. HQPlayer has carefully designed internal thread priority/core load distribution structure.

Yes, you did, thanks ...after seeing my post :)

I batch-process my emails, I cannot really context switch efficiently between coding and emails. I also needed to boot up my Windows machine to re-test the scenario in question with two different DACs to make sure there are no regressions in that area.

My response times typically vary from 24 hours to two weeks, depending on what else is going on and how difficult the email is to answer... :D

I batch-process my emails, I cannot really context switch efficiently between coding and emails. I also needed to boot up my Windows machine to re-test the scenario in question with two different DACs to make sure there are no regressions in that area.

My response times typically vary from 24 hours to two weeks, depending on what else is going on and how difficult the email is to answer... :D

Thanks.

Mine was leaning towards the two weeks :)

I batch-process my emails, I cannot really context switch efficiently between coding and emails.

I can understand that: context switching gets you out of the zone in seconds, and it can take a couple of hours or more to get into the zone for deep coding.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels