IGNORED

HQ Player

Holy SHIT this sounds GREAT! :-)

Agreed! It sounds so good I bought both a Windows and Linux/Mac version!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I'm having trouble getting HQ Player to convert PCM to DSD.

I have a Mac mini i7 running Roon core and HQ Player and a Linux PC running Roon bridge and NAA. DSD plays perfectly through Roon Bridge but I don't get any sound through HQ Player....just silence....even though Roon and HQ Player say they are outputting 24/192 PCM. Even DSD files are silent but Roon and HQ Player say they are outputting 24/192 PCM.

Below are some of my settings. What am I doing wrong???

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 4.57.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 4.58.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 4.58.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 4.58.50 PM.png

Many thanks.

I'm having trouble getting HQ Player to convert PCM to DSD.

I have a Mac mini i7 running Roon core and HQ Player and a Linux PC running Roon bridge and NAA. DSD plays perfectly through Roon Bridge but I don't get any sound through HQ Player....just silence....even though Roon and HQ Player say they are outputting 24/192 PCM. Even DSD files are silent but Roon and HQ Player say they are outputting 24/192 PCM.

Below are some of my settings. What am I doing wrong???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26587[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26588[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26589[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26590[/ATTACH]

Many thanks.

Take a look at your third screen capture - the HQP desktop. You will see four drop down boxes in a row. Set the fourth one to read SDM (DSD). That is how you select DSD up sampling.

FWIW, I use DSD7 as the modulator and poly-sinc-2s for oversampling. I select bit rate to 5644800 which corresponds to DSD128, the max my DAC can handle. I got my setup tips from here: http://soundgalleries.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/hqplayer.pdf

Good luck.

Nikko

Thanks Nikko. So simple.

This is why I love CA much more than reading instruction manuals.

You're very welcome. You may also get something out of this thread, where the author of HQP discusses the use of filters.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/hqplayer-resampling-filter-setup-guide-ordinary-person-13298/

Note his comments on the setting of volume to -3db. I found I could only change it by first selecting "Auto" in the fourth drop down (when no music is playing, of course), changing from 0db to -3db, then selecting back to SDM (DSD).

Dear Friends,

I am still in my trial, an this is my second issue here - more a question or two.

I am 58 and have moderate hearing loss on >= 4KHz (15-20 dB), and need a high-shelf type equalizer to compensate.

Is there a halfway convenient method to generate a convolution file for that on a WIN10 environment? I am a relatively advanced but very busy (and lazy) IT-man.

Is there any method for playing back HD streaming from ClassicsOnline (HD) - NAXOS Streaming Service?

I would be very grateful for any recommendations....

HQP is superb with the realtime DSD conversion on LH LABS GeekOut v2 Infinity. I think the improvement depends on the DAC if the upsampling/Sigma-Delta conversion in the DAC is its bottleneck, the improvement can be huge.

I can imagine a small project to classify the DACs in this respect.

Anyone else having issues connecting to the signalyst.eu site? I am trying to install the NAA on my pi3 but am not having any luck.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Anyone else having issues connecting to the signalyst.eu site? I am trying to install the NAA on my pi3 but am not having any luck.

Yes, I also cannot access the NAA download page which I tried today. Rest of the site seems to be working fine

@Miska, a friend of mine also got the same static problems I heard from his Pi3. Is the NAA not compatible with Pi3?

Thank you but that wont work. The download pages for the NAA is hosted on signalyst.eu.

Other components:

with the length of this thread I risk this question being asked already but, is the CPU horsepower required for HQ Player reduced when you upsample from DSD64 to a higher rate DSD? I am thinking about starting with DSD and not PCM files.

Just a quick test on my Mac Mini - resampling PCM 24/88 > DSD128 takes about 80-90% CPU (poly-sinc-shrt-2s), DSD64 > DSD128 takes about 95-110%.

YMMV.

NOTE: When using my Mac Mini as the HQP "engine", I have to stay with the -2s filters to keep CPU usage reasonable and prevent stuttering.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Yes, I also cannot access the NAA download page which I tried today. Rest of the site seems to be working fine

My server's HDD got broken. Western Digital Enterprise Storage drive, after four years of 24/7 use, theoretically it still has warranty (5 years). I hope to get the server back online tomorrow... Need to get spare parts.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Just a quick test on my Mac Mini - resampling PCM 24/88 > DSD128 takes about 80-90% CPU (poly-sinc-shrt-2s), DSD64 > DSD128 takes about 95-110%.

YMMV.

NOTE: When using my Mac Mini as the HQP "engine", I have to stay with the -2s filters to keep CPU usage reasonable and prevent stuttering.

Thanks for checking. Interesting, I would have thought that straight DSD conversion would have less CPU horsepower requirements as compared to PCM converted to DSD.

Jim

When I was using a Mac Mini I was converting my 24/192 files to DSD128 with regular poly sinc filters my cpu usage was around 38%.Your cpu usage seems very high.The mini I had was a 2011 with the 2.5 processor,16 gb ram,and Ssd.Also had to run the fans at 5500 rpm and cpu was still running at 82 Celsius.

My server's HDD got broken. Western Digital Enterprise Storage drive, after four years of 24/7 use, theoretically it still has warranty (5 years). I hope to get the server back online tomorrow... Need to get spare parts.

I know how bad it is when the HDD dies.

For those who want to try 3.14 beta1 for Windows...

I reluctantly installed it.

At launch I got the following error message:

d10_error.png

I need to reinstall a Visual C++ library

How to fix the ?api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1.0.dll is missing? error for Delphi 10 Seattle | The curse of Dennis D. Spreen

At the link you will find the download link for Visual C++ runtime.

Once I reinstalled Visual C++ runtime, HQPlayer beta1 starts normally.

Apparently nothing has changed, but I am sure Miska will give us indication of changes in due time :)

Could someone provide me a guide-configuration setup for Schiit BiFrost Multibit? I want to know the right settings I have to set in HQPlayer. As well, how to activate ASIO. Do I need to uninstall Schiit-there own C-media-Driver, install the alternative ASIO driver (that could be downloaded on Schiits website as well, it is old though I think V1.0.1). Or do I need to install a certain plugin? Like in Foobar I have to install a plugin + AsioBridge to get Asio working. Or is the plugin integrated in the program? I've taken a look on Schiit's own Guides and for all the programs they have a Windows/Mac(Linux) guide except for HQPlayer (they only have a guide for Mac(Linux). They use DoP SDM pack setting though : Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.. Kinda weird.

In Jriver/Foobar is a kinda clear how to setup but HQplayer doesn't seem to be documented enough by either the DAC-company or by Signalyst. I did send Schiit also a mail with a guide-request. Would be lovely if someone could shine a light on this case :P

For those who want to try 3.14 beta1 for Windows...

I reluctantly installed it.

At launch I got the following error message:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26628[/ATTACH]

I thought I included all the necessary runtime files... Which OS are you running on? I installed it on Win8.1 and Vista without such error.

Could someone provide me a guide-configuration setup for Schiit BiFrost Multibit? I want to know the right settings I have to set in HQPlayer. As well, how to activate ASIO. Do I need to uninstall Schiit-there own C-media-Driver, install the alternative ASIO driver (that could be downloaded on Schiits website as well, it is old though I think V1.0.1). Or do I need to install a certain plugin? Like in Foobar I have to install a plugin + AsioBridge to get Asio working. Or is the plugin integrated in the program? I've taken a look on Schiit's own Guides and for all the programs they have a Windows/Mac(Linux) guide except for HQPlayer (they only have a guide for Mac(Linux). They use DoP SDM pack setting though : Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.. Kinda weird.

In Jriver/Foobar is a kinda clear how to setup but HQplayer doesn't seem to be documented enough by either the DAC-company or by Signalyst. I did send Schiit also a mail with a guide-request. Would be lovely if someone could shine a light on this case :P

For Bifrost MB you set SDM Pack to "none".

I don't know for sure, but I to me it looks like their ASIO driver is add-on to the default driver and thus have a separate version number too. So you would need to have both installed for ASIO support.

However, since Bifrost supports up to 176.4/192k PCM, it should work fine with WASAPI too (with WASAPI you may like to set Buffer time in HQPlayer to 100 ms).

HQPlayer comes with all necessary things so there are no plugins to install. You only need to have the DAC drivers installed.

Miska,

I know you recommend overlap add convolution engine but to my curse I prefer save (more "organic".

Might this explain ? (from http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee123/sp07/lectures/Lecture15.pdf):

"15.2.1 Overlap-Save

The overlap-save procedure cuts the signal up into equal length segments with some overlap. Then it takes the DFT of the segments and saves the parts of the convolution that correspond to the circular convolution. Because there are overlapping sections, it is like the input is copied therefore there is not lost information in throwing away parts of the linear convolution.

15.2.2 Overlap-Add

The overlap-add procedure cuts the signal up into equal length segments with no overlap. Then it zero-pads the segments and takes the DFT of the segments. Part of the convolution result corresponds to the circular convolution. The tails that do not correspond to the circular convolution are added to the adjoining tail of the previous and subsequent sequence. This addition results in the aliasing that occurs in circular convolution."

I said to my curse for, with DSD 64 source, convolving + 128 upsampling consumes up to 40% global cpu which temperature raises to 67 C ; should I worry ? Am I delusional in a perceived difference ? Note that when I compare with PCM there's no cpu load difference (about 14 % with the 24/96 I used for testing)