IGNORED

HQ Player

Thanks for this. So the fs48000 workload is too high for a non -2s modulator?

Probably if you go from 48k to 11.3M. On OS X and Linux you can also use 12.3M output rate for the 48k content which should work just fine.

Fractional ratios consume more computing resources than simple ones.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Sorry if this has been asked earlier. Is there any reason not to use the -2s version? I mostly use poly-sinc-2s or poly-sinc-mp-shrt-2s. Are there any audible difference between these and their non 2s equivalent? ( I cannot hear any)

Sorry if this has been asked earlier. Is there any reason not to use the -2s version? I mostly use poly-sinc-2s or poly-sinc-mp-shrt-2s. Are there any audible difference between these and their non 2s equivalent? ( I cannot hear any)

Any differences should be minor, there may be some because the process is different so the numerical values as result are not exactly the same. From technical quality perspective both are practically equal quality.

I post here because this info may interest many people, including Miska and his DIY DSD DAC.

The news is about Amanero USB board and DSD played on Linux -

I have just finished to talk on the phone with Domenico, the producer of Amanero USB boards.

We had a very friendly chat, also because he comes from a town 60Km away from me.

He explained that it already exists a firmware capable of DSD512 under Linux, but he just offered the tools to designers and at the moment it is up to each one of them to patch OS in order to work in DSD natively.

I suggested to contact ALSA maintainer to make such patch public as part of Linux next release.

He will do so and keep me informed.

So sooner or later Amanero board will be able to play DSD in bitstream (non DoP) on Linux.

... I cannot seem to get it to play in non DoP, and am limited to DSD128...

I just power on the JLsounds DAC/IF and I've some comments to add:

- As you mentioned I can't play non-DoP method with OSX and Linux as well (to be honest I would have expected a different behavior with Linux environment)

- With OSX mute isn't inserted between DSD traces but only when whole disk stops (I've a mute circuit based on relay)

- With Linux mute is inserted between every DSD trace

Miska, is the difference expected ?

Have a nice day, Massimiliano

OSX = El Capitan

Linux = Mint 17.2 with 4.2.5 Kernel

Miska, I want to inform/update about the same bug, also because it didn't happened with builds previous to 3.12 (it started with second or third beta, IIRC). I do not use library option, just drag an album to play from other folder, located internally or externally. After playing the album I clean playlist with broom and drag another album. So, the bug is: after dragging new album and hitting the 'play' button it stays selected for a second, then turns to unselected mode, playback not starting. If I broom the playlist, close HQP, open again, drag the same album and hit 'play' playback starts. Or, if I broom the playlist, drag the album, broom and drag the same album again it may start to play without closing and opening HQP - sometimes yes, sometimes no, again - repeating routine may work. All this happens not in every case, maybe in every second time. Again, all major settings didn't change from previous builds, I use closed form, ASDM7, SDM.

This bug is not a big issue, I am just doing little more clicking, but, anyway, I would love to see great piece of software becoming even better.

Not sure if this is part of the problem, but the "broom" does not "release" the song from HQP on OSX. I use a RAM disk. I use the broom, then delete the files from RAM disk, and when I try to Empty Trash I get the message that "file is in use by HQP". I have to close HQP to Empty Trash. Is this OSX or HQP related?

AFAIK, you should be able to use native in Linux with the right distro or additions. At least that is what i am being told by others. Here is a link. The PDF file has some code that may be of service. I haven't gotten it to work, but I am a Linux dunce. I would love it if someone figured out how to get the JLSounds to work properly on Win or even OSX. The built in isolation and easily upgraded clocks make it a much more desirable card than the Amanero. IMO, it sounds better too, at least at DSD128.

The Best DAC is no DAC - Page 61 - diyAudio

I just power on the JLsounds DAC/IF and I've some comments to add:

- As you mentioned I can't play non-DoP method with OSX and Linux as well (to be honest I would have expected a different behavior with Linux environment)

- With OSX mute isn't inserted between DSD traces but only when whole disk stops (I've a mute circuit based on relay)

- With Linux mute is inserted between every DSD trace

Miska, is the difference expected ?

OSX = El Capitan

Linux = Mint 17.2 with 4.2.5 Kernel

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

AFAIK, you should be able to use native in Linux with the right distro or additions.

Yep, you and bibo01 pointed me simultaneously to my mistake ... I currently run Linux Mint 17.2 that's based on Trusty that doesn't include natively DSD code for non-DoP. Later I will try to install the required code.

I also did another verification on "mute" behavior with HQP on both OSX and Linux and "mute" is triggered on both systems on every DSD track change. A user gave me a comment that JLsounds + Win + Foobar doesn't show this issue. Miska, do you think it's related to HQP command ?

Any differences should be minor, there may be some because the process is different so the numerical values as result are not exactly the same. From technical quality perspective both are practically equal quality.

My ears - my subjective opinion: For me the 2s filters are lower quality filters than the non 2s ones. Their sound character is practically the same as of their non 2s neighbors, but with something like added noise, simply the 2s filters don't provide the same resolution. Instrument colors with the non 2s ones sound me fuller.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
My ears - my subjective opinion: For me the 2s filters are lower quality filters than the non 2s ones. Their sound character is practically the same as of their non 2s neighbors, but with something like added noise, simply the 2s filters don't provide the same resolution. Instrument colors with the non 2s ones sound me fuller.

This is one of the things where it is hard to give answer why, but I expected that there could be some sonic differences and that's why I prefer to keep both available...

If one wants to play around, there are also some very low level numerical differences between Linux/Mac/Windows due to different compilers. ..

Yep, you and bibo01 pointed me simultaneously to my mistake ... I currently run Linux Mint 17.2 that's based on Trusty that doesn't include natively DSD code for non-DoP. Later I will try to install the required code.

I have updated packages for Trusty to add support for non-DoP...

I also did another verification on "mute" behavior with HQP on both OSX and Linux and "mute" is triggered on both systems on every DSD track change. A user gave me a comment that JLsounds + Win + Foobar doesn't show this issue. Miska, do you think it's related to HQP command ?

What is used as basis for the mute control? I know how some DAC chips use mute though, but it depends on the chip. If you use same settings and same content on both platforms the behavior is the same because all the code that matters is same between the platforms.

If you use playlist transport (unrelated tracks) instead of album transport (related tracks) for playing subsequent DSD tracks, some DACs may engage mute. That is expected behavior, it is not an issue. Foobar is lacking that feature... :)

Well put. I wasn't able to wrap language around it, but this sums up the feeling that I attempted to convey.

to my ears the non 2 s add a touch of class, finesse

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Its a night and day difference between the 2's and full filters. The full sound fuller, more depth, and have a certain airiness that 2's variants do not. If you have a CPU that can handle poly-sinc I recommend using that one its my favorite and switching back and forth between its variant the sound profile of the two are very distinguishable. Yes there is a little bit of a delay first time you launch the poly-sinc DSD256 but after that initial load smooth sailing unless out close the player then it will do that 30-40 sec delay.

The 2's variants sound better on some system's because the CPU doesn't have to work as hard and the noise of your CPU is low its very dependent on the horsepower and cooling of your CPU. I switched from Mac to Windows and 3 different CPU's before I found the one that sounds best with HQP.

Can anyone tell me why HQPlayer recommend these DACS?

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

Just because Miska owns those DACs and he can give full assistance for those models. However, HQPlayer can of course be used with any DAC device.

My gut feel is that it may also reflect those manufactuers who are more radical and do things like firmware updates. I would have hoped BMCs range would be there too

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable