IGNORED

HQ Player

Munchoba,

You also want to adjust DSD output bitrate in HQPlayer Settings to 5644800

Thank you bibo01, Miska and SamuelT ... I disabled the ayre in Roon; I've changed the DSD output rate...

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 7.51.39 PM.png

Still... when I play Roon/HQ, my system goes to the Built In output.

Regards

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

Thank you bibo01, Miska and SamuelT ... I disabled the ayre in Roon; I've changed the DSD output rate...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23203[/ATTACH]

Still... when I play Roon/HQ, my system goes to the Built In output.

Regards

I thought the QB9-DSD maxed out at 192,000 PCM and DSD64 (2,822,400 in HQPlayer).

Could that (HQPlayer settings higher than those limits) be the problem?

I have updated packages for Trusty to add support for non-DoP...

Thanks Miska. Yesterday I tried to understand how to install the packages you mentioned for Trusty but no luck; then I downloaded latest Debian Stretch image and I did a clean install on a separate Hard Disks and I verified that HQP non-DoP perfectly works with JLsounds USB interface.

Unfortunately with my laptop Lenovo T410 with NVIDIA NVS3100M I can verify DSD64 only due to the fact that CPU and Graphic Card are under specs.

In addition I noticed Debian Stretch has higher CPU impact than Linux Mint, so for the moment I'm back to Trusty with DoP.

Is there any guideline to install packages for Trusty ?

Have a nice day, Massimiliano

In addition I noticed Debian Stretch has higher CPU impact than Linux Mint, so for the moment I'm back to Trusty with DoP.

I'm a bit lost on the context, are you talking about running HQPlayer under Linux, or about NAA?

If you are planning to HQPlayer, you could try Ubuntu Studio 15.10 Wily Werewolf:

Download Ubuntu Studio « Ubuntu Studio

It is very light weight GUI (XFCE) and you shouldn't need to install extra packages in order to run HQPlayer non-DoP (new enough kernel and libasound2). But I'm not 100% sure if the kernel is new enough to have JLsounds support.

On Trusty you need to install my patched linux-image, linux-headers and libasound2.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Just changed the settings and when I play roon and HQ, it defaults to the built in output yet again.

Is this message normal?

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 7.57.20 AM.png

thanks

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

Sorry for interrupting, but I installed HQ Player/Roon in my new Surface Book and I am having a "scaling" problem: the settings dialog box is almost unreadable under HQ Player. I tried to rescale, and to disable scaling for HQ Player and the problem persists. The OS is Windows 10. Thx in advance for helping

Just changed the settings and when I play roon and HQ, it defaults to the built in output yet again.

Is this message normal?

OK, seems strange, I've never seen message like that. Something going strange in Roon.

Do you get the same result even without HQPlayer running, or do you get different error?

Here is a prntscreen.

You could try to adjust DPI / font size setting in Windows display settings to something less. The GUI goes out of proportions if the DPI goes above something like 120. Main window scales better, but the dialogs are designed for somewhat normal desktop resolutions. Things work still OK on Linux with my 28" 4K-resolution display. But DPIs above that become challenge. Something to be fixed in 4.x series (requires GUI redesign).

Win10 is actually first Windows version that can deal properly with various use cases like using living room PC with TV from distance and using PC with 4K display.

OK, seems strange, I've never seen message like that. Something going strange in Roon.

Do you get the same result even without HQPlayer running, or do you get different error?

Wuthout HQ, Roon plays through the dac. With HQ, with Core Aido and the dac selected, and in Roon, the Ayre is exclusive, nothing...no sound.

Some screenshots:

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 7.07.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 7.08.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 7.08.22 PM.png

thx Miska

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23227[/ATTACH]

Set SDM mode Bit Rate to 2822400 here... I also recommend selecting ASDM7 as modulator. With "poly-sinc" as oversampling you need to be a bit patient when the playback is starting, it'll take some time. For faster starts and lower CPU load you can use "poly-sinc-2s" variant. It may not sound as good though, but it depends...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23228[/ATTACH]

Disable Ayre as output from Roon side completely. It will likely conflict otherwise.

Set SDM mode Bit Rate to 2822400 here... I also recommend selecting ASDM7 as modulator. With "poly-sinc" as oversampling you need to be a bit patient when the playback is starting, it'll take some time. For faster starts and lower CPU load you can use "poly-sinc-2s" variant. It may not sound as good though, but it depends...

Disable Ayre as output from Roon side completely. It will likely conflict otherwise.

Well... this seems to have solved it. Why is the dac only upsampling to 64 and not 192?

The poly-sync was stressing the cpu and caused stuttering.

Can I get the upsampling resolved now?

Many thanks to all.

Well... this seems to have solved it. Why is the dac only upsampling to 64 and not 192?

You shouldn't even compare DSD64 vs 192/24 PCM, the two things are entirely different in many ways. DSD64 is 2.8 MHz and 192/24 PCM is 192 kHz. So if you are upsampling to DSD64 then you are fine.

Seems to lag a bit when playing hi res files (24/96); should I try a less difficult filter?

Regards

Miska,

As someone who has just two weeks ago started with HQP, I noticed that the "default" was ASDM5. You are recommending ASDM7. Can you give me a snapshot of the differences? Is it an SQ preference or something else.

By the way I am floored by the product integrated with Roon.

Thanks

Howie

As someone who has just two weeks ago started with HQP, I noticed that the "default" was ASDM5. You are recommending ASDM7. Can you give me a snapshot of the differences? Is it an SQ preference or something else.

ASDM7 is higher order modulator, pushing noise more aggressively up to higher frequencies. This reduces amount of quantization noise left in audio band increasing signal to noise ratio. But it also puts greater demands on the DAC's reconstruction filtering (analog filters).

ASDM5 is lower order so the noise slope is gentler and less demanding, but also the audio band signal to noise ratio is lower.

Each modulator also has it's own sonic characteristics, just like different upsampling/oversampling filters do. My rough split between sonic properties of PCM playback is 33% of digital filters, 33% modulator and 33% the actual analog reconstruction - when things work in optimal balance and none of those is becoming a bottleneck.