IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi, running HQPlayer Desktop on Windows 11 playing to a Pi 4 NAA.  I notice that when my PC goes to sleep and I wake it up, I can no longer connect to the NAA and under settings, the list of available NAA is blank.  But all other networking such as browsers, SMB network shares, network printers etc. works.

Closing HQPlayer and restarting does not solve the issue.  Only a reboot of the Windows machine will restore connection to the NAA.

Anyone else experience this?

7 hours ago, giordy60 said:

how do i know on which CDN my line is used?

You cannot know, it is decided by the CDN/Qobuz back-end.

I use a normal 100mb / s download line, modem router switch all gbit/s

That should be plenty enough if it stays that way. My two locations are 600/200 Mbps and 500/500 Mbps. But sometimes, if I'm on my boat, it could be just 4G mobile network. My regular 5G mobile is 300 Mbps subscription.

yesterday and today (for example) no problem .....

On the days when you have problems, please check with speedtest.net and fast.com, both bandwidth and latencies.

a question.....

( perhaps the request is trivial )....

is it possible to change the buffer of hqp for streaming qobuz?
having a couple of seconds more the problem (perhaps) could be solved.

You have two choices at the moment. 10-second long prefetch buffer (default) or unlimited freewheel if you enable that from the Client.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

I notice that when my PC goes to sleep and I wake it up, I can no longer connect to the NAA

Disable automatic sleeping on user inactivity in Power & Sleep settings:

image.png.1606727aeabbc244a0916f1911397ad4.png

When disabled, you can still sleep your computer manually.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Hi, running HQPlayer Desktop on Windows 11 playing to a Pi 4 NAA.  I notice that when my PC goes to sleep and I wake it up, I can no longer connect to the NAA and under settings, the list of available NAA is blank.  But all other networking such as browsers, SMB network shares, network printers etc. works.

Closing HQPlayer and restarting does not solve the issue.  Only a reboot of the Windows machine will restore connection to the NAA.

Anyone else experience this?

Hmmh, certainly works for me. I usually hibernate my laptop, and then wake it up again and start HQPlayer, and it reconnects nicely to the NAA (over WiFi).

I suspect this has something to do with network interfaces. Do you possibly have multiple network interfaces on your computer?

27 minutes ago, Miska said:

Hmmh, certainly works for me. I usually hibernate my laptop, and then wake it up again and start HQPlayer, and it reconnects nicely to the NAA (over WiFi).

I suspect this has something to do with network interfaces. Do you possibly have multiple network interfaces on your computer?

Yes, I do have multiple interfaces.  I have a two port 10G NIC, the regular 1G motherboard NIC and also the Hyper-V virtual switch/NIC.

Is there a way to specify a specific NIC to use?  Or another solution? 

Thank you!

33 minutes ago, bogi said:

Disable automatic sleeping on user inactivity in Power & Sleep settings:

image.png.1606727aeabbc244a0916f1911397ad4.png

When disabled, you can still sleep your computer manually.

Thanks...unfortunately, the same issue occurs when I put the PC to sleep manually...

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

Yes, I do have multiple interfaces.  I have a two port 10G NIC, the regular 1G motherboard NIC and also the Hyper-V virtual switch/NIC.

Is there a way to specify a specific NIC to use?  Or another solution? 

Problem is that the multicast routing seems to change when you enter/exit sleep. Usually it should follow your default (internet) route, but if that changes for some reason or is not the case, then it seems that this parts ends up changing. With bad luck, it is because the network interfaces recover from sleep in a different order than they would come up during regular boot.

Such issues are common for multi-homed configurations (multiple network interfaces).

HQPlayer relies on the OS to know where the multicast discovery messages should go.

8 hours ago, Hammer said:

Thanks...unfortunately, the same issue occurs when I put the PC to sleep manually...

I didn't want you to do that. I wanted you to help to prevent entering sleep mode due to user inactivity timeout. I didn't expect you want to enter sleep mode manually, I only mentioned that it is still possible if you set timeout to 'Never'. Do you need sleep mode on HQPlayer computer?

Do you really need the Hyper-V virtual switch/NIC on HQPlayer computer? If not, you can disable the interface.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Prefetch was disabled in the registry and SysMain in services - Windows server 2019. Both have now been enabled , as recommended for the efficient operation of HQPlayer and ROON.

But here is the rub , the prefetch folder in windows is not getting populated -which I would have expected, in an exclusively  audio only  laptop.

Functionality of HQPlayer remains fine , so maybe I shouldn't be too concerned? 

14 hours ago, Miska said:

Problem is that the multicast routing seems to change when you enter/exit sleep. Usually it should follow your default (internet) route, but if that changes for some reason or is not the case, then it seems that this parts ends up changing. With bad luck, it is because the network interfaces recover from sleep in a different order than they would come up during regular boot.

Such issues are common for multi-homed configurations (multiple network interfaces).

HQPlayer relies on the OS to know where the multicast discovery messages should go.

It's weird because everything else such as Roon and the Sonos Controller works fine on wake and I think they also use multicast.  It's just HQPlayer that's losing connect.  Are there any settings I can try to adjust in HQPlayer?  Like select the interface to use?  Thanks!

6 hours ago, bogi said:

I didn't want you to do that. I wanted you to help to prevent entering sleep mode due to user inactivity timeout. I didn't expect you want to enter sleep mode manually, I only mentioned that it is still possible if you set timeout to 'Never'. Do you need sleep mode on HQPlayer computer?

Do you really need the Hyper-V virtual switch/NIC on HQPlayer computer? If not, you can disable the interface.

Oh sorry I misunderstood....unfortunately, I do need those things on this PC.  In the past, I just left it on 24/7 and so never noticed the issue, but electricity prices and gone up the roof and also in an effort to be more green, I'm trying to sleep what I'm not using...hopefully, there can be a fix.

6 hours ago, oldfirm said:

Prefetch was disabled in the registry and SysMain in services - Windows server 2019. Both have now been enabled , as recommended for the efficient operation of HQPlayer and ROON.

But here is the rub , the prefetch folder in windows is not getting populated -which I would have expected, in an exclusively  audio only  laptop.

Functionality of HQPlayer remains fine , so maybe I shouldn't be too concerned? 

Solved - All versions of windows server disables prefetch by default apparently.

4 lines of code copied and pasted into windows shell enabled prefetch .

unfortunately, I do need those things on this PC

After waking up the PC from sleep mode I would try:

1. Disable Hyper-V virtual switch/NIC

2. In HQPlayer, go to Settings and without change press Cancel or OK (it restarts audio engine, so NAA should be connected)

3. Enable Hyper-V virtual switch/NIC

If that would work for you, steps 1 to 3 can be scripted so the action could be reduced to clicking an icon.

Edit: You can try first to check/change priority of network  adapters to priorize your LAN NIC over HyperV by setting higher metric number to HyperV NIC: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-priority-order-network-adapters-windows-10

2 hours ago, bogi said:

After waking up the PC from sleep mode I would try:

1. Disable Hyper-V virtual switch/NIC

2. In HQPlayer, go to Settings and without change press Cancel or OK (it restarts audio engine, so NAA should be connected)

3. Enable Hyper-V virtual switch/NIC

If that would work for you, steps 1 to 3 can be scripted so the action could be reduced to clicking an icon.

Edit: You can try first to check/change priority of network  adapters to priorize your LAN NIC over HyperV by setting higher metric number to HyperV NIC: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-priority-order-network-adapters-windows-10

That's really cool...thank you.  Unfortunately, the metric change didn't solve the issue.  Not sure if it's related, but I'm also finding that Roon also cannot "play" to this HQPlayer.  I've made sure the "network" button is "on" on HQPlayer.  So strange.

49 minutes ago, Hammer said:

That's really cool...thank you.  Unfortunately, the metric change didn't solve the issue.  Not sure if it's related, but I'm also finding that Roon also cannot "play" to this HQPlayer.  I've made sure the "network" button is "on" on HQPlayer.  So strange.

Actually, I take that back...rebooted and now it works!!!  Thank you so much!

39 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Not sure if it's related, but I'm also finding that Roon also cannot "play" to this HQPlayer.

I am not using Roon, but if I well understand, Roon does not know about NAA - it is configured in HQPlayer only. So if HQPlayer cannot play to NAA, playing from Roon to HQPlayer cannot change that. You can configure WASAPI playback to integrated sound card in your HQPlayer computer, if it works from Roon. If yes, then you have no network related issue between Roon and HQPlayer computer.

3 minutes ago, bogi said:

I am not using Roon, but if I well understand, Roon does not know about NAA - it is configured in HQPlayer only. So if HQPlayer cannot play to NAA, playing from Roon to HQPlayer cannot change that. You can configure WASAPI playback to integrated sound card in your HQPlayer computer, if it works from Roon. If yes, then you have no network related issue between Roon and HQPlayer computer.

Thank you again!  Changing the metric worked for me and now it works after wake.  Really appreciate your help.

On 5/7/2022 at 11:06 PM, Miska said:

On the days when you have problems, please check with speedtest.net and fast.com, both bandwidth and latencies.

crashes with this network speed ......

100Mbps

Schermata 2022-05-09 alle 17.33.10.png

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

no problem with this speed .....

Schermata 2022-05-08 alle 16.38.29.png

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

9 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Hi @Miska, could you please describe the use/effect of the new

Two new band-limiting SDM integrators”?

Please take a look at the manual! ;)

9 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

… there is a typo in the News page, the release date of the last HQPlayer Desktop version is wrong …

Whoops, a copy-paste error. Fixed now!