IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

...who wouldn't pay $5k to have their midrange seduced?

I for one can't, but have heard many great sounding modified units. Just because I can't afford something I don't go around attacking it. I know I have to live within my means so I try to buy the best I can with what I can afford to spend. If someone is rich it is not my place to try to deny them the joy that better sounding modified equipment can bring. I don't believe in envy, and hope the rich get great enjoyment from their equipment.

...ignorance certainly is blissful than reading some of this audiophile crap!

I have been to audio shows and dealer showrooms and I have heard very little audiophile crap, much of it sounds quite amazing. If I want to hear audio crap I can go listen to cheap low-end systems at departments stores.

Envy is not a pretty emotion. Be happy with what you can afford and spend your money wisely.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Wow!! That's a lot of music.

According to my Logitech Media Server, I have 50,389 tracks on 3,386 albums. It would take exactly 194 days, 10 hours, 17 minutes and 20 seconds to play it all non-stop. It comes to 1.4TB, no MP3, just CD and hirez.

A lot of it was collected when I was a dj on Danish national radio, but I do listen virtually every minute of every waking hour.

When I had ripped everything, I suggested to my wife that we could remove the CD's from the living room, but she declined because "you never know when we might want to look something up in the CD booklets."

I like what I hear about the HAP-Z1ES, but the ability to assemble everyting in one database is a deal breaker. Oddly, I cannot get a clear answer on this point.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

According to my Logitech Media Server, I have 50,389 tracks on 3,386 albums. It would take exactly 194 days, 10 hours, 17 minutes and 20 seconds to play it all non-stop. It comes to 1.4TB, no MP3, just CD and hirez.

A lot of it was collected when I was a dj on Danish national radio, but I do listen virtually every minute of every waking hour...

Well, I'm retired however I also watch TV, DVDs, free Hulu and YouTube. So I guess I listen to about two to three albums per day but have listened to as much as 10 albums when on a music-only binge.

I have 2 days, 15 hours, 1 minute and 34 seconds of music and it takes me about a month to play my entire collection. I would guess I have one of the smaller collections on Computer Audiophile but I do purge a lot which helps it from getting too big. What stays for decades is what I love both the sound quality and the music, long term.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

A lot of it was collected when I was a dj on Danish national radio, but I do listen virtually every minute of every waking hour.

When I had ripped everything, I suggested to my wife that we could remove the CD's from the living room, but she declined because "you never know when we might want to look something up in the CD booklets."

I like what I hear about the HAP-Z1ES, but the ability to assemble everyting in one database is a deal breaker. Oddly, I cannot get a clear answer on this point.

I can't imagine the Sony is a solution for you (given you list things like the SOtM card and femto clocks in your system description; you enjoy the journey as much as the music..same here). I also have a lot of music (6Tb and counting, but multichannel and DSD are big reasons for the size) and don't envision the Sony as my main go-to solution...I have servers and customized USB cards, etc....I like to swap the latest in and out....that's not who Sony built this for. But for the vast majority out there who want to either simplify their access to music, or don;t have a huge audiophile-mode system to begin with, this all-in approach, DSD-capable, is a real option for them. I will review/evaluate the unit for that user.

As a secondary system (or family room system) I can't imagine the 40K limitation (if it even exists) would be a big deal for all but a few....but yes, local storage on the Sony is both a blessing and a curse.

I can't imagine the Sony is a solution for you (given you list things like the SOtM card and femto clocks in your system description; you enjoy the journey as much as the music..same here). I also have a lot of music (6Tb and counting, but multichannel and DSD are big reasons for the size) and don't envision the Sony as my main go-to solution...I have servers and customized USB cards, etc....I like to swap the latest in and out....that's not who Sony built this for. But for the vast majority out there who want to either simplify their access to music, or don;t have a huge audiophile-mode system to begin with, this all-in approach, DSD-capable, is a real option for them. I will review/evaluate the unit for that user.

Right. The HAP-Z1ES can be thought of as a high-quality, non-portable iPod.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

For those who are not prepared to mess with multiple USB and Ethernet connections between USB DACs, DAC bridges, PC, and NAS, the all-in-one Sony might be the best solution.. I'm surprised that more manufacturers haven't come up with similar players yet.

For those who are not prepared to mess with multiple USB and Ethernet connections between USB DACs, DAC bridges, PC, and NAS, the all-in-one Sony might be the best solution.. I'm surprised that more manufacturers haven't come up with similar players yet.

Aren't there? I think it is DSD that makes this unusual.

Kal Rubinson

mayhem-

I know essentially you just enjoy arguing and annoying people on the forum. But drop your argumentative pose for a few moments.

1. Ask yourself this:to get a quality server and DAC into a single case at a specific price point of $1999 with a specialized OS and app, do you not think SONY had to make some compromises on ultimate SQ?

2. If so, is it not possible that there may be mods that will improve the sound of the unit?

3. Do you agree that a higher quality/lower noise power supply in a server or DAC might improve the sound of the server or DAC?

4. If so, why is it not possible that both of the firms discussed here are improving the sound of the device by improving the Power supply, which both of them claim to do, and also explain how they do it?

If your considered answer to all of the above is "no", then clearly there isn't much reason for you to participate in this thread, other than to try and needle and annoy other forum members. In spite of what you may think, none of us are in need of "enlightenment" from your clearly superior intellect and analytical ability.

BTW, your "objectivity" is contradicted by your insistence on referring to the mods in question as a $5000 mod, when the price range for them is from about $1195 to about $2995. Certainly much different than the $5K you keep incorrectly referring to, but very revealing about you.

Answer to 1 thru 3 is no.

As to four, not sure what you're asking but if your implying that the noise floor of the HAPZ can be lowered even further where it is already below the ambient noise floor of anything but an engineered quiet room and below the threshold of human hearing then....hey.....have it, ........

My purpose isn't to annoy, ridicule or enlighten anyone. If you're confident in your aural abilities, that's great. I post these points for the benefit of those who might just think this all just a bunch of BS.

"I post these points for the benefit of those who might just think this all just a bunch of BS."

In other words... You have nothing worthwhile to say and just like to hear yourself talk...

Yes Bob....you have me all figured out!.....how insightful.

With over 50,000 tracks how do you manage to get to listen to them? Do you listen to music 24 hours per day? Just curious. (:-)

There is an unique feature provided by the Sony, i.e. SenMe. It'll categorize all the tracks, not albums ,into 12 different type of moods.

I love this feature when listen as background music.

I've the iPod Gen 7th, it sounds good on my system. If one is looking at DSD-capable, it's Sony.

I'd like to suggest compare the Sony side-by-side with Top DCS, EMM labs or Playback, then decide for yourself.

If there are different as day and night, congratulation, your system has been optimized else the Sony is good enough.

I think that such devices are rather rare, and the Sony is the first one that can play all hi-res (stereo) formats.
Hmmm. I have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch on my shelf that, with an attached USB drive, does everything that the Sony does (and seems now to also do DSD). There have been other streamers (Bryston, Cambridge, Cary?) that did similarly.

Kal Rubinson

Hmmm. I have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch on my shelf that, with an attached USB drive, does everything that the Sony does (and seems now to also do DSD). There have been other streamers (Bryston, Cambridge, Cary?) that did similarly.

"""There have been other streamers (Bryston, Cambridge, Cary?) that did similarly"" true except these devices cannot play DSD.

Kal since my Lastest Stereophile hasn't reached my home as yet, what was your impressions of the Sony you reviewed.

The Truth Is Out There

Aren't there? I think it is DSD that makes this unusual.

I think that such devices are rather rare, and the Sony is the first one that can play all hi-res (stereo) formats.

"""There have been other streamers (Bryston, Cambridge, Cary?) that did similarly"" true except these devices cannot play DSD.

I think Kal's point was excluding DSD there are quite a few options. Though perhaps Sony do go about it in a different way so perhaps it is more unique.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I think Kal's point was excluding DSD there are quite a few options. Though perhaps Sony do go about it in a different way so perhaps it is more unique.

Eloise

Excluding DSD, sure there are more than a few out there in different price points.

The Truth Is Out There

The Sony is not a streamer. It's a HDD Audio Player. Even Squeezebox doesn't quite fit the category as it lacks HDD.

Yup. See below.

Kal since my Lastest Stereophile hasn't reached my home as yet, what was your impressions of the Sony you reviewed.
They were positive but I will not quote them here.

Exactly.

Kal Rubinson

The Sony is not a streamer. It's a HDD Audio Player. Even Squeezebox doesn't quite fit the category as it lacks HDD.
Yes, you are correct. However, I did say that "I have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch on my shelf that, with an attached USB drive, does everything that the Sony does."

Kal Rubinson

Yes, you are correct. However, I did say that "I have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch on my shelf that, with an attached USB drive, does everything that the Sony does."

Kal, I own 2 SBTs - still in use - and it only does what the Sony does on paper. When used with an attached USB drive, they actually don't work very well. There's an extremely long thread at the Slimdevices forum about all the problems and limitations users have with the Touch running this way. And that's not even mentioning that for audiophile use, attaching the SBT to an external DAC is commonplace for improving SQ.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Kal, I own 2 SBTs - still in use - and it only does what the Sony does on paper. When used with an attached USB drive, they actually don't work very well. There's an extremely long thread at the Slimdevices forum about all the problems and limitations users have with the Touch running this way. And that's not even mentioning that for audiophile use, attaching the SBT to an external DAC is commonplace for improving SQ.
I am not prepared to defend the the SBT as a suitable stand-in for the Sony but I mention it to say that the Sony is not conceptually innovative. The iPod is a better example.

Kal Rubinson