IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

My HAP Z1 will be arriving on Tuesday. In preparation for my initial music transfer, I have a question about the Volume Normalization function. Is this best left off for the highest quality?

Thanks,

Ken

Sony HAP Z1ES, Portal Panache Integrated, Penaudio Rebel2+Chara, Grado HF-1, Nottingham Horizon TT, Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD

Vinnie, welcome to CA. You will love it over here.

Gang, I am proud to say I've known Vinnie for many years..and prouder even to say that he has endowed upon me the privilege of being the first formal reviewer of his new modded Sony HAP-Z1ES (mod 3). It will arrive at my place soon (couple weeks) and I will do my best to turn around a review in short order. I am well experienced in DSD playback, DACs of all sorts, and have been a beta tester for Dan (Modwright) since he began modding players many years ago. I am also a customer of RWA. I say all this simply to ensure folks that I will do my best to position Vinnie's modded Sony as well as possible.

Working on becoming a professional reviewer Ted? Congats- it takes a whole lot of work to be a good one. :)

May I suggest however rather than trying to position a hunk of gear or build up great expectations, you just give your honest opinion good or bad? That's both easier and is less subject to infernal questioning...

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Paul,

if you don't like my reviews to-date you don't have to read them, or give me your feedback in the appropriate review thread. I tend to "give my honest opinion, good or bad." Others seem to be satisfied (enough), but I promise to not sit still. But yeah, I'm "working on becoming a professional reviewer"; have been since day one.

Paul,

if you don't like my reviews to-date you don't have to read them, or give me your feedback in the appropriate review thread. I tend to "give my honest opinion, good or bad." Others seem to be satisfied (enough), but I promise to not sit still. But yeah, I'm "working on becoming a professional reviewer"; have been since day one.

Jeeze Ted- ego problems this morning? I have no idea WTF your problem is, but any reviewer who says they are positioning a product to make it look it's best is not a pro.

I have no problem with you using CA to further your ambitions, but if you expect not to get friendly comments about horse crap like what you just sprouted, you are fooling yourself and have no business trying to be a reviewer. A reviewer's job - what they get paid for - is to subsume their own ego and evaluate products in a way a target audience will relate to. Loose sight of that, and your worth dimishes

Have a good life, because I sure don't have the time or inclination to read unbridled ego like that. Or be upbraided by that kind of attitude.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Ted wrote:

I say all this simply to ensure folks that I will do my best to position Vinnie's modded Sony as well as possible.

Paul responded:

but any reviewer who says they are positioning a product to make it look it's best is not a pro.

I think this is just an unfortunate misunderstanding.

Paul- I'm thinking that Ted didn't mean this line the way you understood it. Although I agree that it does sound the way you read it. Possibly just a bit of hurried and sloppy phrasing by Ted.

Ted-maybe a clarification? The way that line sounds, it doesn't seem like your usual approach.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Ted wrote:

Paul responded:

I think this is just an unfortunate misunderstanding.

Paul- I'm thinking that Ted didn't mean this line the way you understood it. Although I agree that it does sound the way you read it. Possibly just a bit of hurried and sloppy phrasing by Ted.

Ted-maybe a clarification? The way that line sounds, it doesn't seem like your usual approach.

I understood what Ted was saying...

I will review Vinnie's modded unit like I review anything else I've done and published professionally (Chord, exaSound, iFi, etc); that is I will attempt to not get too technical (cuz I ain't that technical and hate industry acronyms) and will attempt to position (i.e put the product in its correct category) the product as well as I can amongst its competitors. In the case of the Sony HAP-Z1, which describes itself as a server, a player, a DSD-capable DAC, a network interface, etc, that positioning will take some doing....it may well be folks' answer to replace several pieces in his/her current setup. So....I attempted to tell everyone that I have some background in many of these categories (although I'm lightest in internet radio/upnp stuff) especially experienced with Windows servers, Mac mini as server, NAS storage and, last but not least, I've got lots of scar tissue with DSD-capable DACs and players. I also know Vinnie's work pretty well, as well as the work of the other great modder among us, Dan Wright (Modwright). So hopefully I can shine a light on this stuff correctly. Shining a light doesn't mean giving a positive review..it simply means giving a fair one!

I have no interest in doing anything other than my review style.,..that is, be honest and give the good news and bad news as it relates to how we use this stuff day-to-day. I did that with my most recent formal Chord Qute HD review (found now on CA's homepage, page 2, and includes some of the bad news like USB vs SPDIF, poor stock power supply, etc.) and Chord has the darn thing on their website, so they must like the perspective. Vinnie knows how I review, and is quite confident in his work. We'll see. :)

BTW, I have a feeling the worst news of this unit (to-date) is its new and somewhat rudimentary storage importing/exporting capabilities, especially is it relates to DSD. Although DSF is ID3V2 capable for tagging (and the reason I recommend it), I've heard horror stories of keeping things like cover art synch'd with DSD on the Sony. This should test my patience. (I will only test the IOS app; if there is an android one I hope it's similar).

Dan Modwright reported on his audiocircle thread that he is also planning to offer a modded version of the z1. Really good for us, as two of the best guys in the business at upgrade mods will be competing for our dollars on this one. More choices, slight different features and approach are always good to have.

That's Dan Wright of ModWright. He will have a modded HAP-Z1ES at the Chicago Axpona Show next week.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Jeeze Ted- ego problems this morning? I have no idea WTF your problem is, but any reviewer who says they are positioning a product to make it look it's best is not a pro.

I have no problem with you using CA to further your ambitions, but if you expect not to get friendly comments about horse crap like what you just sprouted, you are fooling yourself and have no business trying to be a reviewer. A reviewer's job - what they get paid for - is to subsume their own ego and evaluate products in a way a target audience will relate to. Loose sight of that, and your worth dimishes

Have a good life, because I sure don't have the time or inclination to read unbridled ego like that. Or be upbraided by that kind of attitude.

Someone sure got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Given the above post, perhaps you should take a look at yourself when it comes to attitude! I fail to see how what Ted wrote deserves this tirade.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Paul you totally misunderstood what Ted said...... He will tell it like it is which is a lot better than some who only tell the good and never the bad,.

The Truth Is Out There

That's Dan Wright of ModWright. He will have a modded HAP-Z1ES at the Chicago Axpona Show next week.

Yes, and I will pick up his show unit and bring it home. I convinced a buddy to buy it, and since he has had a bunch of my stuff on loan (he is somewhat local) I will introduce him to "payback time". :) Seriously, I hope to get a couple days of listening in so I can have a snowballs chance of comparing once Vinnie's arrives (although aural memory is good for seconds or minutes, not days or weeks).

Yes, and I will pick up his show unit and bring it home. I convinced a buddy to buy it, and since he has had a bunch of my stuff on loan (he is somewhat local) I will introduce him to "payback time". :) Seriously, I hope to get a couple days of listening in so I can have a snowballs chance of comparing once Vinnie's arrives (although aural memory is good for seconds or minutes, not days or weeks).

Would you have an unmodified HAP-Z1ES to compare?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

While I love the idea of the Sony and I have respect for the Mytek, I would love to read a review where the Sony is pitted against other DACs(and,yes, I know the Sony is not being marketed as a DAC although it includes one). And, yes, Kal also included the exasound 28 in his comparisons, but then I've never heard that DAC. Point is, I'm interested to see how the RWA-modified Sony stacks up against the other PCM and DSD-capable DACs that have found their way through Ted's listening room. Also, perhaps someday someone will post about their impressions of an RWA modified Sony and an RWA Signature 16 or 57 running totally off the grid.

Esau

My HAP Z1 will be arriving on Tuesday. In preparation for my initial music transfer, I have a question about the Volume Normalization function. Is this best left off for the highest quality?

Thanks,

Ken

Someone has mentioned that Volume Normalization function has not implication to the sound. However, I don't know the implementation therefore I do nothing.

You might want to do comparison with or without.

Use the most powerful computer with 1000base-t network port to transfer files. If you've a gigatbit switch will be even better or use straight cable in between , without router.

You may run it 24/7 frequently, it'll sound best after 200hrs.

Does the quality of the computer effect only speed, or quality as well?

Someone has mentioned that Volume Normalization function has not implication to the sound. However, I don't know the implementation therefore I do nothing.

You might want to do comparison with or without.

Use the most powerful computer with 1000base-t network port to transfer files. If you've a gigatbit switch will be even better or use straight cable in between , without router.

You may run it 24/7 frequently, it'll sound best after 200hrs.

Sony HAP Z1ES, Portal Panache Integrated, Penaudio Rebel2+Chara, Grado HF-1, Nottingham Horizon TT, Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD

Good to compare with a stock unit. The stock unit is already very good to me. To spend another 3k for the mod 3, need to do a AB test.

So are you offering? I'd love to hear a stock unit. :)

Does the quality of the computer effect only speed, or quality as well?

Speed, for the moment. As for quality, I'm plan to test it when I got time.

However, I've ripped sacd disc to ISO format using ps3 to a computer , there is a audible different between with or without router. This might be different from copy finishing product (files) from computer to the Sony.

RWA has a stock unit as well. I love to offer my unit if I live in State.

I know...I was just kidding. :) Yes, it is very unfortunate that at this time I can't do a review with the most important perspective...that is, how much value is the mod...how much better does it make the stock unit.

I hope that ted_b can score a stock unit to compare, the prices for Modwright and RWA upgrades are more than the purchase price of the HAP-Z1ES itself, so where will the bang for buck be. Both companies have offered tubes for the output stages, is it working as some kind of EQ/Filter to remove digital harshness...would not have thought so, since online reviews are very positive for the straight HAP-Z1ES.

Then there's the mods to a larger HDD and its power supply......

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Apparently, the Sony can only handle a library of no more than 40,000 tracks.

Does that include the combined capacity of the internal HDD and an attached USB HDD?

Since I have over 50,000 tracks in my collection, this is a crucial issue.

Al J.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Vinnie, welcome to CA. You will love it over here.

Gang, I am proud to say I've known Vinnie for many years..and prouder even to say that he has endowed upon me the privilege of being the first formal reviewer of his new modded Sony HAP-Z1ES (mod 3). It will arrive at my place soon (couple weeks) and I will do my best to turn around a review in short order. I am well experienced in DSD playback, DACs of all sorts, and have been a beta tester for Dan (Modwright) since he began modding players many years ago. I am also a customer of RWA. I say all this simply to ensure folks that I will do my best to position Vinnie's modded Sony as well as possible.

Having Vinnie and Dan offer mods/sonic upgrades to the Sony HAP-Z1ES is great news. It's going to take a well-received DAC and take the unit to the next level - or two. I'm thinking of nabbing one for my home office, or perhaps that upcoming Oppo Headphone Amp with built-in DSD. Choices, choices.... :)

Sony HAP-Z1ES

I will preface this with the fact I have never heard the Sony unit however...

Given that the transfer from computer to HAP-Z1ES is a non-real time process excepting for the time taken there should be no mechanism where the computer used to transfer the music will affect the later sound quality.

That is all I have to say on that matter and I will not respond to any replies. I don't want to turn this to a objective/subjective argument just wanted to put the alternative "theory" in the open.

YMMV

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.