IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

I held out as long as I could, but the Z1 is off to a new owner. It was relegated to the second system (no slouch - Leben 600x powering Graham Chartwell LS3/5a speakers). I had hoped to migrate my 300 cd collection over but the transfer speeds once again quickly tested my patience.

I was trying to see If I could somehow hack by using a Roon capable USB Streaming DAC and having the Sony feed it, but it’s not meant to be. I was going to pick up another Lumin T2 and move the Sony’s music files onto my Roon Nucleus’s 1tb drive, but I made the mistake of listening to a Lumin X1 which was offered as a demo at an unbeatable price. Wow - now I get why people pay $10k+ for a top notch music streamer (also listened to the DCS Bartok too - another impressive unit but also silly money). In my prior setup, vinyl always bead the Sony for sound quality but comparing the Lumin X1, it’s a tossup.

The good news was the dealer was ok taking the Sony in trade and made a good, market correct offer, so the decision was pretty easy. Before I packed it up, I did one final listen comparing the T2 to the Sony. 

On Redbook, the T2 handily beats the Sony when upsampling to DSD 128. On higher res files I still preferred the T2 but the Sony put up a better fight. The T2 succeeded in revealing more depth and presence and they were equal in top end detail. This was in balanced output mode, and using RCAs the Sony is let down. 

It was an interesting few years with the Sony and I still marvel at the build quality for the price. Trade in value was about 50% of what I paid, so not a bad depreciation. 

See you in the Lumin forums…

Headphones: Audeze LCD-3 / Focal Clear/ Sennheiser HD650 

Speakers: Devore Fidelity O/96 and Graham Chartwell LS3/5a

Amps: Leben CS600x / Bottlehead 300b amp and 300b preamp custom

Digital: Lumin X1 and T2 / A&K 120 I DAP

Cables: Foundation Research LC1/2 and Cardas Golden Reference AC, Acoustic Zen Absolute, Silver Ref. II and Cardas Clear and Light ICs

I read a nice review of the T2.

But does it upsample everything to DSD 128 or 256?

You mentioned upsampling to DSD 128, was that just the Sony?

My Z1 responds very well to Clarus Aqua Component Power Cord, Clarus Crimson ICs and 

Mac 275/2500 tube  electronics.

I'm glad you got a good price for the Sony.

I've felt since their CD/SACD days that their products were under-priced.

On 4/8/2023 at 10:22 PM, jimdukey said:

I read a nice review of the T2.

But does it upsample everything to DSD 128 or 256?

Upsampling is configurable, and defaults to off.  T2 / P1 / X1 optionally upsamples up to DSD128.  T3 optionally upsamples up to DSD256.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

That’s what I said when I stopped into a demo of the T2 (from the D2) and most recently of the X1. Leave your wallet at home :)

Headphones: Audeze LCD-3 / Focal Clear/ Sennheiser HD650 

Speakers: Devore Fidelity O/96 and Graham Chartwell LS3/5a

Amps: Leben CS600x / Bottlehead 300b amp and 300b preamp custom

Digital: Lumin X1 and T2 / A&K 120 I DAP

Cables: Foundation Research LC1/2 and Cardas Golden Reference AC, Acoustic Zen Absolute, Silver Ref. II and Cardas Clear and Light ICs