IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

...I replaced internal hard drive to 2TB slim Seagate...

Have you ever try to power up the Hap without the internal HDD? If the OS is able to load without the internal HDD, practically we can insert a new HDD, and format and reset it using the given tools.

I can't try anything drastic now because mine comes with no years warranty, an imported set.

And this is very sad, isn't it, Kal?

I see that even the FIR filters inside Z1ES are done in the analog domain.

If the format was more popular they would have invented something for DSD processing until now, I am sure.

Certainly but studio professionals have been dealing with this same issue for years and the hardware/firmware they use is streets ahead of what we mere mortals can access. The problems are more technical than economic, I believe.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

newbie here...what do you mean by EQ on DSD?

maybe my uda-1 does?

in the specs it mentions snr is 100db when eq is off, so would that infer that it has eq capability, and what exactly are you referring to...

The EQ there is for use with a particular pair of Sony speakers and is most probably inserted in the analog domain. Surround? I doubt if there is any surround mode on this unit, so it is probably a typo.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Have you ever try to power up the Hap without the internal HDD? If the OS is able to load without the internal HDD, practically we can insert a new HDD, and format and reset it using the given tools.

...or may be you can boot the OS from a small CF card in a SATA adapter and leave all the music on the external drive? Or can you connect a second internal drive?

Don't know why? However the sellers have been participated in the discussions with positive feedback of the Hap. You may want to google, us audio mart...

No, the Sony sounds masculinity on my system.

Anyway, I've paid attention to the details started from the incoming power supply, LIVE is LIVE, NEUTRAL is NEUTRAL, all the the way to the equipment.

And my amps control the speakers utterly well, even an Ipod also sounded good on my system.

...or may be you can boot the OS from a small CF card in a SATA adapter and leave all the music on the external drive? Or can you connect a second internal drive?

I've thought of plug in a unformatted 4 TB HDD to the Hap, and let the Hap software do the rest.

I prefer everything in ONE.

I don't think Z1ES boots from internal hard drive, it boots from some SSD inside.

Because after I install the new drive(indeed new drive, blank, NTFS formatted), booted properly but Z1ES no longer sees it, and I can't format it. I have to do factory reset from the settings, and after that, it formats the disk, and guess what? All sample music is copied to the new drive! So there is a separate storage on board with OS and sample data. The original 1TB drive is only for music and database.

There's probably just something like 1-4GB of Flash in there which the "operating system" is stored on.

It's good news that you can simply replace the internal drive and it will format it for you - especially if it's formatted so that it can use the full capacity and not simply a 1TB partition on whichever size disk you put in there.

I don't think Z1ES boots from internal hard drive, it boots from some SSD inside.

Because after I install the new drive(indeed new drive, blank, NTFS formatted), booted properly but Z1ES no longer sees it, and I can't format it. I have to do factory reset from the settings, and after that, it formats the disk, and guess what? All sample music is copied to the new drive! So there is a separate storage on board with OS and sample data. The original 1TB drive is only for music and database.

This is good info to know - thank you!

So even the internal drive fails one still will be able to start the unit and listen from the ext. drive - clever decision!

Replacing the 1TB internal HDD won't offer any advantage as I read in an article the Sony database is only capable to manage 15000 entries. Hope this is just an example for bad hifi journalism.

Replacing the 1TB internal HDD won't offer any advantage as I read in an article the Sony database is only capable to manage 15000 entries. Hope this is just an example for bad hifi journalism.

Hm, this is really a limitation but might be fixed in future firmware upgrades?

Could you point to this article, please?

Thanks!

15000 entries = 15000 albums or songs?

Can't be.

Right?

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Yes, unfortunately it's likely true. CPU may not be powerful enough inside Z1ES.

I was told by Sony support, it supports 40,000 tracks.

So what I am doing now, I just copy over full album image flacs, I listen to lots of classical music, so this isn't a big deal, it will hold 20+ thousands of albums as disk image. For pop music, 40,000 tracks is about 2-3000 albums maybe, not enough.