IGNORED

Auralic Aries UPnP Renderer: Double DSD Over Wi-Fi

Wait, so I can't just point it to my NAS? I would want this to replace my Mac Mini, not augment it in some way.

Nope...also as I understand it, the interface wont give many of the features we are used to with JRiver MediaCenter like tagging, smart playlists, etc. So I am thinking the Aries will never replace the need to have a PC in my system for library management.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Nope...also as I understand it, the interface wont give many of the features we are used to with JRiver MediaCenter like tagging, smart playlists, etc. So I am thinking the Aries will never replace the need to have a PC in my system for library management.

Thanks for the info. I guess I am going from very excited to very confused as to why I would use the Aries.

Thanks for the info. I guess I am going from very excited to very confused as to why I would use the Aries.

I may not be going to make friends or find agreement with this comment but...

If you find the output of a MacMini or off the shelf PC to be adequate then you are unlikely to find any joy with the Aries. On the other hand if you are not happy with the sound quality until you have tweaked the PSU, chosen a "audiophile" USB card, trailed half a dozen SATA cables and checked out a couple of USB to SPDIF converters; then you may find the Aries offers an alternative route to better sound quality.

However you look at it though an Aries will not replace the computer totally; you will still want a computer to download music; rip CDs and correct metadata - however the computer doing this can be a £250 laptop from Tesco and sound quality will not be affected.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If you find the output of a MacMini or off the shelf PC to be adequate then you are unlikely to find any joy with the Aries. On the other hand if you are not happy with the sound quality until you have tweaked the PSU, chosen a "audiophile" USB card, trailed half a dozen SATA cables and checked out a couple of USB to SPDIF converters; then you may find the Aries offers an alternative route to better sound quality.

However you look at it though an Aries will not replace the computer totally; you will still want a computer to download music; rip CDs and correct metadata - however the computer doing this can be a £250 laptop from Tesco and sound quality will not be affected.

Eloise

This is how i see it. Whether its a computer or a Nas that is being used as a server makes ZERO difference .

The Aries will pick up the digital 1's and zero's wireless with NO audio loss . NADA.

The key here will be the audio quality,jitter reduction,etc. of the Aries and your Dac .Period.

This is how i see it. Whether its a computer or a Nas that is being used as a server makes ZERO difference .

The Aries will pick up the digital 1's and zero's wireless with NO audio loss . NADA.

The key here will be the audio quality,jitter reduction,etc. of the Aries and your Dac .Period.

Period? Really? You are going to be empirical here? Don't we wish it was that logical and simple. But I will disagree and say "everything matters". I am convinced that Minimserver on my NAS will sound different, through the Aries, than JRiver on my CAPS. It always has. This ain't just "bits is bits".

Period? Really? You are going to be empirical here? Don't we wish it was that logical and simple. But I will disagree and say "everything matters". I am convinced that Minimserver on my NAS will sound different, through the Aries, than JRiver on my CAPS. It always has. This ain't just "bits is bits".

Have you done a blind test to confirm this ?Doubt it . You may prefer one SOUND to another but its still 1's and 0's.Same EXACT data!

Eloise

+10. Great post.

The Aries is about connectivity, ubiquity around the home, convenience, mixed with enough audiophile quality that the first three features may not affect sound quality enough that you would care (that's why Chris and I are reviewing the Aries); it's a piece of convenience and simplicity from a manufacturer who, in a very short period of time, has proven they know something about computer audio sound quality. And Aries is not necessarily a category maker; there are others like Rendu from Sonore. These are exciting times.

Also, the Aries is being looked at as some sort of savior here. It's not warranted. It is not a local music server. If you are looking for a good one, that has better sound than a stock MAc Mini or a stock Caps Zuma, then Aurender has a $3299 X100L with 6TB of onboard storage. I have one to evaluate. it sounds great. Can you do better with tweaks, Jplay, 3rd party USB cards, Windows Server 2012, Audiophile Optimizer, upgraded SATA cables, SATA filters, dedicated linear power supplies, batter-powered SSD drives? Probably.... but that's the point.

Eloise

Aries is about so much more than sound quality.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Can't agree with you more. My own experience brought me to the same conclusions, that's why I'm a bit worried with UPNP servers on a NAS...

join the resistance

Respectfully I disagree here Ted.

The server part of the equation should not matter, there is a defined format that the Aries requires the data in, there should be no difference in sound quality between J.River (as DNLA); MinimServer, Twonky, Serviio or whatever other UPnP complient server you choose (functionality may vary), so long as you are not doing any transcoding.

While you may not mean it as I have read it, your statement I am convinced that Minimserver on my NAS will sound different, through the Aries, than JRiver on my CAPS. shows an expectation which is unwarranted (IMO). The method of network transmission should eliminate any influence the CAPS offers.

Eloise

PS. Please note my careful choice of the word should...

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

The server part of the equation should not matter, there is a defined format that the Aries requires the data in, there should be no difference in sound quality between J.River (as DNLA); MinimServer, Twonky, Serviio or whatever other UPnP complient server you choose (functionality may vary), so long as you are not doing any transcoding.

One of the most amazing things to me about this hobby is the degree to which things that simply should not sound different almost always do :)

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

While you may not mean it as I have read it, your statement I am convinced that Minimserver on my NAS will sound different, through the Aries, than JRiver on my CAPS. shows an expectation which is unwarranted (IMO). The method of network transmission should eliminate any influence the CAPS offers.

Eloise

"As long as its not transcoding" .Yep! This is how I see it.

Eloise

Why is it unwarranted based on his experience?

Your use of the word "should" validates his opinion.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Have you captured it and checksumed it :~)

No clue but can't wait for your review. Maybe you can do a review for the Aries using minimserver and Jriver on the same computer

since Jriver won't function on a NAS.

I cant wait to see which server has the best audio quality. Haha.

Let us know.

No clue but can't wait for your review. Maybe you can do a review for the Aries using minimserver and Jriver on the same computer

since Jriver won't function on a NAS.

I cant wait to see which server has the best audio quality. Haha.

Let us know.

Or even more fun, Minimserver on a NAS and or Minimserver on the CAPS. You may be surprised

join the resistance

Why is it unwarranted based on his experience?

Your use of the word "should" validates his opinion.

Chris ... The use of network completely changes the situation vs USB connection which (afaik) has been Ted's previous experience. The majority of users including experienced manufacturers such as Linn will say the UPnP server will not affect sound quality.

I hoped there would be an open mind here ... Instead I see preconceived ideas.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Or even more fun, Minimserver on a NAS and or Minimserver on the CAPS. You may be surprised

It never surprises me the things which people say sound different...

Eloise

---