IGNORED

HD Tracks 'Kind of Blue'

Confused by the KOB mono and stereo comment followed by the frustration with download. I saw no option for a mono version on HD Tracks. Are you referring to another purchase?

Sort of hard to locate, but this view shows both:

Artist | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

And a link to the Mono version:

Kind Of Blue (Mono Version) | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

You would think the mono version would be half the cost of the stereo version....

<that was a joke>

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I will be downloading later today. I guess those who like to slam HDTracks will shut up with this one, as the provenance is about as well documented as possible.

The 24/192 is about as close to the sound at the sessions as any of us is ever likely to be. At DR14, this is going to be way better than vinyl could ever hope to achieve in the real world. The fact that this was transferred via PM Model 2 sold it for me, as good an PCM ADC as has ever been made. That they went back to the original multi track tapes also makes me psyched to hear it: direct from there to PM Model 2 at 24/192, it does not get much better than that...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Got the 24/192 stereo. Was a little hesitant, as I have a stereo DSD rip of the Columbia SACD, and it sounds really good. I was convinced when HDT printed the provenance info, and the painstaking process gone through to get it right.

I think I like this even better than the DSD (not usually the case for me). Just seems a little clearer, and the instruments as a whole a little more up front (in a good way). They did a really good job with the remix/remaster.

As far as mono, haven't heard this one in mono, but it doesn't necessarily sound "better" in mono, as it was originally recorded in 3 tracks. If I had a multitrack setup, the SACD/DSD with the 3 track mix might sound better.

I would be very curious to hear it, similarly the Beatles re-issue when George Martin claimed " you've haven't heard Sgt. Pepper until you heard the mono mix"

BTW, I know I'm not supposed to say this but I think Sgt. Pepper sounds better in the stereo version....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Got to add that I'm listening to "All Blues" as I'm perusing the posts. It REALLY sounds like Miles and the band are here in the room. Just great.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Got the 24/192 stereo. Was a little hesitant, as I have a stereo DSD rip of the Columbia SACD, and it sounds really good. I was convinced when HDT printed the provenance info, and the painstaking process gone through to get it right.

I think I like this even better than the DSD (not usually the case for me). Just seems a little clearer, and the instruments as a whole a little more up front (in a good way). They did a really good job with the remix/remaster.

As far as mono, haven't heard this one in mono, but it doesn't necessarily sound "better" in mono, as it was originally recorded in 3 tracks. If I had a multitrack setup, the SACD/DSD with the 3 track mix might sound better.

BTW, I know I'm not supposed to say this but I think Sgt. Pepper sounds better in the stereo version....

Are you sure about KOB not originally recorded in mono?

Amazon.com: The Original Mono Recordings: Music

Best,

Richard

Are you sure about KOB not originally recorded in mono?

Amazon.com: The Original Mono Recordings: Music

Best,

Richard

Apparently it was originally recorded both in mono and in 3 tracks (simultaneously). Stereo and mono versions were released.

All of these digital reissues are apparently remixes from the digital transfers of the 3 track tapes (It seems they did both digital and analog transfer from the original 3 track tapes, and then did both digital and tape remixes: Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" Monophonic Reissue From Sony/Legacy: An Analog Planet Exclusive! | Analog Planet).

Having read/heard several very favorable comments about the mono I will probably buy that too next time HDT has a sale.

Apparently it was originally recorded both in mono and in 3 tracks (simultaneously). Stereo and mono versions were released.

All of these digital reissues are apparently remixes from the digital transfers of the 3 track tapes (It seems they did both digital and analog transfer from the original 3 track tapes, and then did both digital and tape remixes: Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" Monophonic Reissue From Sony/Legacy: An Analog Planet Exclusive! | Analog Planet).

Having read/heard several very favorable comments about the mono I will probably buy that too next time HDT has a sale.

Thank you for the reminder as I actually read that AnalogPlanet piece and promptly created amnesia about the information. I stand corrected.

Best,

Richard

This sounds really great listening to the mono version now, not light years better but a step up from every copy (I've got 7 or 8 versions) I own.

That said I hope they radically improve the site to allow me to purchase future releases with way less hassle. The old site was much better from a shipping/checkout perspective.

This sounds really great listening to the mono version now, not light years better but a step up from every copy (I've got 7 or 8 versions) I own.

That said I hope they radically improve the site to allow me to purchase future releases with way less hassle. The old site was much better from a shipping/checkout perspective.

What hassle are you having exactly? I've purchased 2 albums since the sites redesign and the process has been as smooth as it always has been. I login, add an album to my cart and check out through Paypal, then I open the download manager which automatically retrieves the files.

What hassle are you having exactly? I've purchased 2 albums since the sites redesign and the process has been as smooth as it always has been. I login, add an album to my cart and check out through Paypal, then I open the download manager which automatically retrieves the files.

Leroy: Example of a problem, right now I am trying to DL KOB 24/192, on Safari, I cannot get the download to start, I get an error message every time saying that Safari does not recognize the website… I have never had a problem before downloading from HDT. I am confident that they will take care of it, but at the moment it is quite frustrating.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

You are very right!

They are 3 SACDs from Kind of Blue, but none from Mobile Fidelity:

SA-CD.net - Search

Roch

I could be wrong, Roch, but I believe the first two listed are the same SACD, given that they have the same Columbia serial number with the exception that one has the last digit dropped.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

"Wildler and Berkowitz recently decided to do another and perhaps final 3-track KOB transfer: to DSD, to 192/24 bit PCM (and probably other resolution digital) and at the same time, a two-channel stereo and a mono mixdown to analog tape. The two channel mix down will most likely be the source of a Mobile Fidelity stereo reissue coming later in the year as part of that label's Miles Davis stereo vinyl reissue project."

If the above is correct, does this mean that we may soon see a DSD version from this remaster appearing on Acoustic Sounds? If so, it may be worth waiting to see how it compares to the 24/192. And, of course, there is the still to come MoFi SACD. Perhaps too much of a good thing!

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

The site keeps asking me to renew my password. It suggested I download the new DL manager, which didn't accept my password. (solution: delete HDtracks folder on my PC and go back to old DL manager version.)

Interestingly the discount code is only good for the stereo, not the mono, versions. Oh well, I wanted the mono anyway. There was a small snafu with the DL like firedog noted above. My password was initially not recognised on the DL manager (even though I used it to order), but I just quit, reopened and then it went swimmingly.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Both KoB stereo and mono took a while to load into my cart, then each page of checkout hung for 1-2 minutes prior to loading the next page. After I applied the coupon for 10% off, I had bought both the stereo and mono the coupon only took $2.5 off not %. So i went to reapply the coupon and the site completely hung up at that point. By this time I was 12-15 minutes into the process and had to start over after re loading my cart the coupon still only took the discount off one of the two KoB downloads so I called it a day a proceeded with my purchase, this time taking 10-12 minutes to load.

After all this I had one of the files fail, it took a bit this morning but I did after a bit figure out how to get it to restart but it is proceeding very very slowly.

The old site was never this bad. I like HD Tracks and have bought a ton of stuff from them but until the site improves I'm going to be SUPER selective with my purchases.

Dear MOFI (MFSL),

I'm looking forward to acquiring your forthcoming SACD version of KOB.

So far, the HDTracks 24/192 are the best digital versions I' ve heard, beating the JSACD. Both have fast lifelike exciting transients. The mono gets me hypnotized by the cymbals and its body ; what strikes me most with the stereo is the amazing realism of the piano : open grand piano in my room ! (which is only justice ; everyone should listen to Bill Evan's Peace piece to find out where from KOB really does come (and I adore Miles)).

So what do I expect from you, dear MOFI ? the addictive rich dark tones of Miles muted horn I love so much in the 45 Classic. Could you add that while you will be, most probably, using the new digital transfer ? Will you let you know how ?

Since yours and Analogue SACD usually beat HDTracks outputs, I hope it will be even better.

So far, kudos and thanks to HDTRacks Wilder & Berkowitz for those KOB !

I had no issues with the new HDTracks site on Safari. Other than having to set up a new password because it was my first time visiting the new site, the whole purchase/download process took 10 minutes tops for both the stereo and mono versions in 24/96. The HDBLUE10 code only applied to the stereo version per their fine print.

Without hearing next week's Back to Black Friday vinyl version I can safely say that the HDTracks mono download is THE BEST version you could have for your money. Vinyl originals on today's market in that sub-$25 price range are VG+ at best - I own 8 copies of VG- to VG+ and while I still like the original mix better, this new version's damn close and gets more right than it does wrong for sure.

Looking forward to MoFi's take on both double-vinyl and SACD.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

So I spent the day finding a 24/96 version of the original 1959 Mono LP ( 6 eyes label). This is a very good transcription done on a reference level home system.

Compared it to the HDT 24/192 Stereo.

Very interesting. I think in the mono LP transcription there is even a little more extension and decay on the cymbals than with the HDT. But in all other parameters I think I prefer the new digital version. I'm not sure how to describe it, but the individual instruments and the overall presentation is just a bit more "focused". Everything is a bit cleaner and detail slightly easier to hear.

However, I can definitely imagine someone with a good vinyl rig preferring the vinyl. But in a situation where you aren't directly comparing them they both sound great. If you prefer vinyl you'd probably prefer it to this one,and if you like digital you'd probably prefer this digital remaster.

I will be downloading later today. I guess those who like to slam HDTracks will shut up with this one, as the provenance is about as well documented as possible.

If they did this with all their releases, "those who like to slam HDTracks" would probably not exist. Indeed for some of their releases this criticism is more than justified. And I say that as a very frequent downloader of their stuff.

The 24/192 is about as close to the sound at the sessions as any of us is ever likely to be. At DR14, this is going to be way better than vinyl could ever hope to achieve in the real world. The fact that this was transferred via PM Model 2 sold it for me, as good an PCM ADC as has ever been made. That they went back to the original multi track tapes also makes me psyched to hear it: direct from there to PM Model 2 at 24/192, it does not get much better than that...

Please provide the data to back up your claim that DR14 renders this release "way better than vinyl could ever hope to achieve in the real world".

exaSound PlayPoint DM MkII with Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply; Horn Shoppe The Truth preamp; Coincident Frankenstein MkII mono blocs (mid/tweeter) and Dragon 211b mono blocs (woofers); Coincident Pure Reference Extreme MkII loudspeakers; Coincident cabling throughout...Analogue: Jean Nantais Ultimate Lenco turntable with Durand Kairos arm, Benz-Micro LPS cartridge; Coincident Statement phono stage