IGNORED

Favorite to show-off your system?

Part of this would be to play something familiar, so people will recognize it, and then, of course, a diverse selection of what you like best, or think sounds particularly amazing. The following selections represent ~1% of my music library (I don't own any DSD):

• Alison Krauss/Paper Airplane (24/96 HDTracks)

• Boz Scaggs/Memphis (24/96 HDTracks)

• Bryndle/Live at Russ & Julie’s

• Cassandra Wilson/New Moon Daughter (24/96 HDTracks)

• David Bromberg/Try Me One More Time

• Gillian Welch/Revival

• Grateful Dead/American Beauty (Mickey Hart DVD-A remix 24/96 HDTracks)

• Jethro Tull/Aqualung (2011 24/96 remaster)

• Neil Young/Harvest

• Paul Simon (first solo album)

• Rickie Lee Jones/Flying Cowboys

• Robert Cray/Midnight Stroll

• Ry Cooder/Live at The Record Plant, Sausilito 1973

• Vangelis/Blade Runner “Esper Edition” soundtrack

And thanks for reminding me of the Cowboy Junkies. I used to love hat album when it came out, play it over and over again. And I agree it is very well recorded, just one DAT recorder, and minimal miking. I'll need to listen to that again.

They now have a Trinity Revisited CD/DVD ! I enjoyed the new takes on their old tunes, the guest musicians, and the on site video, but the sound is pretty much same-old studio stuff :(

I saw the Cowboy Junkies live at the Royal Oak Music Theater in 2001 (?). I mentioned the audiophile popularity of their 'Trinity Sessions' album, because of the great sound, to Margo afterward, but she just blew me off. Got a signed copy of the 'Open' Cd, which when played right after the concert was such a sonic disappointment...

The studios have musicians minds in a mixing board vise - bah humbug !

P.S. My favorite track from Trinity Sessions is '200 More Miles' - restraint, intensity, sadness, hope - ahhh !

Part of this would be to play something familiar, so people will recognize it, and then, of course, a diverse selection of what you like best, or think sounds particularly amazing. The following selections represent ~1% of my music library (I don't own any DSD):

• Alison Krauss/Paper Airplane (24/96 HDTracks)

• Boz Scaggs/Memphis (24/96 HDTracks)

• Bryndle/Live at Russ & Julie’s

• Cassandra Wilson/New Moon Daughter (24/96 HDTracks)

• David Bromberg/Try Me One More Time

• Gillian Welch/Revival

• Grateful Dead/American Beauty (Mickey Hart DVD-A remix 24/96 HDTracks)

• Jethro Tull/Aqualung (2011 24/96 remaster)

• Neil Young/Harvest

• Paul Simon (first solo album)

• Rickie Lee Jones/Flying Cowboys

• Robert Cray/Midnight Stroll

• Ry Cooder/Live at The Record Plant, Sausilito 1973

Love David Bromberg. Not having the easiest time finding his stuff in HiRez......

Guys, all of this is awesome. Thanks.

Agree on pretty much all of the list.

The Reference Recordings sound just spectacular, if only they'd start recording something less obscure.

And thanks for reminding me of the Cowboy Junkies. I used to love hat album when it came out, play it over and over again. And I agree it is very well recorded, just one DAT recorder, and minimal miking. I'll need to listen to that again.

I forgot about the Cowboy Junkies too. I too used to listen to that all the time and I actually remember how good that album sounded. That one is on my list for sure...

The Reference Recordings sound just spectacular, if only they'd start recording something less obscure.
Rachmaninoff and Britten are obscure? BTW, their new R. Strauss disc is a killer.

Agreed.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Love David Bromberg. Not having the easiest time finding his stuff in HiRez......

There is none, that I'm aware of. He's most interesting as a live, improvisational act. In fact, I'm seeing him again tonight in South Orange, NJ. I've been a fan since the 1970's, and I never miss a chance to see him play, but I don't even like his last two studio albums. However, "Try Me One More Time" is a very clean, well-recorded acoustic album. I'm not sure, it may even be recorded analog, there's a little audible hiss. If you enjoy his solo acoustic stuff, his DVD, "Demon In Disguise" is also excellent. I made a nice 16/48 rip from it.

Rachmaninoff and Britten are obscure? BTW, their new R. Strauss disc is a killer.

Agreed.

Sorry for OT: obscure is probably a bit extreme, but nevertheless in my personal hierarchy Rachmaninoff and Britten are not part of the same league as Beethoven or Brahms. And furthermore, I appreciate Rachmaninoff much more as a piano composer (obviousls including concertos no. 2&3). His orchestral stuff is a bit overrated. And then take Respighi, without Toscanini he'd probably even still be forgotten today. Just my 2cts.

It is interesting that you should quote the 20th anniversary edition of Brothers in Arms. There must be something quite different between the surround and stereo versions: the stereo DSD layer of the SACD is highly compressed dynamically and -- to me -- sounds far inferior to the original CD pressing of the 1980s. My favourite version is the recent Mobile Fidelity SACD, but I don't know if it includes a new surround mastering (I have no surround sound system).

The recent Mobile Fidelity SACD of the Blade Runner soundtrack is also excellent. By the way, since it the second time that I recommend MFSL products on the same thread, I feel that I should say that I am by no means affiliated or related to this company in any way except that I am a happy buyer of their audiophile-mastered discs. I wish they made their products available online for download.

It depends on what you want to show I guess. Here are a bunch off the top of my head:

• For jazz, Famous Sound of Three Blind Mice has been my standard reference forever. The problem is the album is now worth a fortune. Good thing First Impression Music has reissued it with slightly different tracks as The TBM Sounds!. Price is a little more reasonable and getting it is a little easier. All tracks on this are extremely impressive, but my favorites are the two versions of Misty, one vocal, one instrumental.
  • For more jazz female vocal, try Carol Kidd on Linn Records. All My Tomorrows has been my standard reference album since the vinyl days. I still keep a 96/24 copy these days. Any track on the album is good demo but I particularly like I Thought About You and Angel Eyes.
  • For percussion and bass, any of the many albums from the Japanese taiko group Ondekoza is good. If I have to pick one track though, it would be Mikuni from the album Fujiyama. Interesting combo of bamboo flute and giant drums. The thing about Ondekoza however is they rehash their material a lot in various albums and the albums have multiple remastered versions. So things can get a little confusing.
  • For Christmas music, Proprius' Cantate Domino has already been mentioned. For demo, the track Julsång goes from single soprano to full choir and back. Very impressive. But like Ondekoza, all of the big name Proprius albums have multiple remasters.
  • For Indian and Indian fusion, anything from Waterlily Acoustics is excellent. My favorite are A Meeting by the River and From the Ashes.
  • For classical, I don't have specific reference albums. It's just anything that sounds good recently. At the moment, it's Ravel: Miroirs and Jacques-François Gallay: Chamber music for natural horn ensemble. For the former, try track 3 Une barque sur l'Océan. For the latter, try the beginning of Grand Trio No. 1 or Grand Quatuor. Took these two albums to the Toronto Audiovisual show a few weeks back and many of the exhibitors were quite impressed.

Andy

. . .

• For percussion and bass, any of the many albums from the Japanese taiko group Ondekoza is good.
    If I have to pick one track though, it would be Mikuni from the album Fujiyama.
    Interesting combo of bamboo flute and giant drums.
    The thing about Ondekoza however is they rehash their material a lot in various albums and the albums have multiple remastered versions. So things can get a little confusing.

I just love the Ondekoza stuff!!!

My neighbors may not share my enthusiasm.

Be warned - Inferior systems may blow up :-D

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

The tracks you guys mention that I have are all superb. I have a different approach. I hand them the Kindle with the Squeezebox touch app set to artist and let them decide. Honestly, they are usually really happy with the way the Kindle app lets them pick whatever they fancy, that makes a huge impression. That the music sounds pretty good just makes their smile larger. They usually ask about how they can have that level of access first and the sound second.

Trey

I just love the Ondekoza stuff!!!

[...]

Be warned - Inferior systems may blow up :-D

The Fujiyama that I mentioned isn't too bad. Dotou Banri is a different story though :)

[...] They usually ask about how they can have that level of access first and the sound second.

Actually all this is more or less moot for me as most visitors never got pass talking about the power tubes. I seldom if ever actually need to fire up the system :)

Andy

It depends on what you want to show I guess. Here are a bunch off the top of my head:

• For jazz, Famous Sound of Three Blind Mice has been my standard reference forever. The problem is the album is now worth a fortune. Good thing First Impression Music has reissued it with slightly different tracks as The TBM Sounds!. Price is a little more reasonable and getting it is a little easier. All tracks on this are extremely impressive, but my favorites are the two versions of Misty, one vocal, one instrumental.
  • For more jazz female vocal, try Carol Kidd on Linn Records. All My Tomorrows has been my standard reference album since the vinyl days. I still keep a 96/24 copy these days. Any track on the album is good demo but I particularly like I Thought About You and Angel Eyes.
  • For percussion and bass, any of the many albums from the Japanese taiko group Ondekoza is good. If I have to pick one track though, it would be Mikuni from the album Fujiyama. Interesting combo of bamboo flute and giant drums. The thing about Ondekoza however is they rehash their material a lot in various albums and the albums have multiple remastered versions. So things can get a little confusing.
  • For Christmas music, Proprius' Cantate Domino has already been mentioned. For demo, the track Julsång goes from single soprano to full choir and back. Very impressive. But like Ondekoza, all of the big name Proprius albums have multiple remasters.
  • For Indian and Indian fusion, anything from Waterlily Acoustics is excellent. My favorite are A Meeting by the River and From the Ashes.
  • For classical, I don't have specific reference albums. It's just anything that sounds good recently. At the moment, it's Ravel: Miroirs and Jacques-François Gallay: Chamber music for natural horn ensemble. For the former, try track 3 Une barque sur l'Océan. For the latter, try the beginning of Grand Trio No. 1 or Grand Quatuor. Took these two albums to the Toronto Audiovisual show a few weeks back and many of the exhibitors were quite impressed

Andy

Very nice. Thanks,

There is none, that I'm aware of. He's most interesting as a live, improvisational act. In fact, I'm seeing him again tonight in South Orange, NJ. I've been a fan since the 1970's, and I never miss a chance to see him play, but I don't even like his last two studio albums. However, "Try Me One More Time" is a very clean, well-recorded acoustic album. I'm not sure, it may even be recorded analog, there's a little audible hiss. If you enjoy his solo acoustic stuff, his DVD, "Demon In Disguise" is also excellent. I made a nice 16/48 rip from it.

His solo stuff is my favorite and I didn't know that existed. Thanks! The last time I saw him had to be close to ten years ago. He is such an incredible showman, for sure. Sure likes his whiskey too. I saw him once at the Great American Music Hall in SF and managed to meet up with someone who knew him and we went backstage between shows (He did two a night instead of two sets that I found strange and a tiny bit lame, but I still went to both) and wow did we have a few. That night, like an idiot in my 20's, I decided to drive from the city to my place in Lagunitas (West Marin county) and ended up literally running my self over when I went to lock the gate to my place. The car rolled back, and when I tried to miraculously stop it from rolling into the neighbors fence, I fell on my face and the rear ran up and over my rear. My girlfriend was so pissed as I slowly had to dig myself out from under the car with the muffler scorching my ass. Needless to say, my neighbors fence had to be repaired the next day. Wow, that was idiotic. Anyway, I blame David Bromberg :)

• 2 weeks later...

What are you running in your system?

Kind of Blue: HDTRacks 24/192

Mark Nauseef: With Space in Mind-this is a killer to test a system. All percussion weird and wonderful with killer lows!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

His solo stuff is my favorite and I didn't know that existed. Thanks! The last time I saw him had to be close to ten years ago. He is such an incredible showman, for sure. Sure likes his whiskey too. (snipped) :)

Funny, you should say that. My first memory of seeing him play was in Cambridge, Mass. in 1974, when I was in college. My roommate had brought a fifth of Jack Daniels' to the show, and as Bromberg walked up to the stage, my pal held it up, and Bromberg, stopped, grabbed it, took a huge swig from the bottle, smiled, handed it back, and them ambled up onto the stage. I love having personal contact with artists!

BTW, the full title of the DVD is: "The Guitar Artistry of David Bromberg: Demon In Disguise", not to be confused with his old LP of the same name.

Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged

Trinity Roots - Home, Land & Sea

These aren't audiophile or hi res recordings, but still sound spectacular! Trinity Roots are a three piece from New Zealand - the title track, Home, Land & Sea, sends waves of chills over those listening throughout the entire track, and even the odd tear!!

The CDs right now that I am not tried of and would play for people are

1. Chris Jones Roadhouses & Automobiles

2. Connie Evingson Gypsy in My Soul

3. Ed Wiley Jr. About the Soul

4. Chet Baker Diane

These are all worthy of buying. It will change in a few weeks.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

Sorry for OT: obscure is probably a bit extreme, but nevertheless in my personal hierarchy Rachmaninoff and Britten are not part of the same league as Beethoven or Brahms. And furthermore, I appreciate Rachmaninoff much more as a piano composer (obviousls including concertos no. 2&3). His orchestral stuff is a bit overrated. And then take Respighi, without Toscanini he'd probably even still be forgotten today. Just my 2cts.

Sorry, I thought you were being ironic.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Even if I don't show off much, here are some winners...they all show the strenghs (and sometimes, the limitations) of the system...

1) To Show Off and impress

Rio Rush, 4, Fourplay (or any other track...)

Thriller (Michael Jackson)...a good production, crank it up...

Hymnus Peregrinorum - Diapason - CD Test - 12-2008 (all great sounding, works engineered by Nicolas Bartholomée, funny that one of the best ever CD soundwise if a "bonus" disc on Diapason)

Tango No.72 - Orchestral Version, Stravinsky, BFO, Fischer

Homeless - Graceland, Paul Simon; never fails to impress...

Cupido - Maria Rita, Maria Rita (a great sounding Brazilian record, what out for the powerful drum)

2) To calm down, but still impress on the quieter side...

Walk On The Wild Side - Transformer, Lou Reed

Que Amor Não Me Engana, Fado Roubado, Paula Oliveira & Bernado Moreira

High Life, from Jazz at the Pawnshop (my favorite from this famous sessions...crank up!)

Sentado à Beira do Caminho, Rosa, Rosa Passos (or any other track, here voice is magical..); in a great system you do feel presence!

Otono Portenho, Les Dissonance, David Grimal

Postcard Blues or any from The Trinity Sessions, Cowbow Junkies (for soundstage image junkies)

U2 - Joshua Tree: Running to stand still (Red Book)

+1 Running to Stand Still is my favourite U2 track by far, but if I was using U2 to show off my system, I'd go for All I Want Is You (Rattle and Hum).

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

It is interesting that you should quote the 20th anniversary edition of Brothers in Arms. There must be something quite different between the surround and stereo versions: the stereo DSD layer of the SACD is highly compressed dynamically and -- to me -- sounds far inferior to the original CD pressing of the 1980s. My favourite version is the recent Mobile Fidelity SACD, but I don't know if it includes a new surround mastering (I have no surround sound system).

I agree, funny how plain bad (at least mighty inferior) outputs get elected ; ditto for LA Woman 24/92 on someone else's list : AP SACD/DSD download is the must

if i have to go redbook :

Craig Armstrong, the space between us

hirez natively digital :

Daft Punk ? no, analog recording... uhh... let me think (and check) Kraftwerk ? not sure it's a digital recording.... I'd probably go for a Jordi Savall

Anyway, i'm a poor lonesome cowboy but if a cowgirl shows, i would pick a vinyl to show off, wouldn't you ?