IGNORED

Favorite to show-off your system?

Hello,

As I'm starting to build a nice little library while I wait for my system to get to completion, I was wondering what track/album you all like to play when showing friends and family your system. Are there any "MUST HAVE" recordings a newbie like me should know about?

Thanks

Rob

Well, I like both. And I like things entirely different. It's not so much about the genre, but more about SQ of a recording. As I'm just starting out, I thought some suggestions for killer recordings would be handy.

I don't really like to demonstrate my system, but I sometimes get questions from visiting friends who are intrigued by the accumulation of boxes. What I like to do is pick a very well recorded disc in a genre with which my visitor is familiar. Perhaps my overall favourite is Stile Antico's Music for Compline (SACD) where singers can be heard with very natural voices that are located precisely despite the intricate polyphony of the pieces. A CD which I also like quite a lot for this purpose is the compilation of classical-guitar blockbuster Ivresse de la Guitare by Philippe Cornier. For more pop/rock oriented visitors of my age, I play Dire Straits' Money for Nothing (from Brothers in Arms) in remastered redbook form first on my secondary system (Pioneer D6 SACD player, NADC350, JMLab DB29 speakers) then on my main system then in its original 1980s CD form or in its recent MFSL SACD. This does a good job of convincing my visitors of the damages inflicted by the loudness wars. For younger visitors, I play Touch, from the most recent Daft Punk album (Random Access Memories), in 24/88.2 PCM from Qobuz. Those who are used to listen to it on iPhone earphones are in general astounded by all the sounds they discover in this piece when listening to it on a good stereo system.

Well, I like both. And I like things entirely different. It's not so much about the genre, but more about SQ of a recording. As I'm just starting out, I thought some suggestions for killer recordings would be handy.

OK, the 24-bit, 96kHz remaster of Workingman's Dead is something worth "showing off."

I ripped (24-bit 96 kHz) the Neil Young Massey Hall DVD from the archive collection -- that one is good. (A number of Neil Young's high res aren't the real thing, sadly).

Claudio Abbado's (2002) Beethoven's 9th (24-bit 96 kHz).

Also, many standard "redbook" CD-quality recordings are better than high-resolution ones, so I would say rip your favorite CDs into a lossless format, and use those.

Remember, you are listening to the music first, not the equipment per se.

I have a little playlist if visitors have the time and interest:

Cassandra Wilson: Another Country. "Red Guitar"

Diana Krall: The Girl in the Other Room: Temptation (24/96)

Bach: St. John's passion: "Herr, Unser Herrscher" (24/192)

Dire Straits: Telegraph Road: Telegraph Road

Norah Jones: Come Away With Me: One Flight Down (24/192)

And then I play whatever style they prefer.

The last track of Susanne Vega's "Solitude Standing" - the instrumental "Tom's Diner (Reprise)" - has some amazing sounds played back on a good system.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

For this purpose I rather like:

"Moon is Shining" from Keith Greeninger, et al., NPR sessions from Blue Coast. DSD64

"Just a Little Loving' " Shelby Lynne from Acoustic Sounds DSD64

"Death Don't Have no Mercy" Hot Tuna Live at Bearsville Theater 16/44.2 WAV

"The Very Thought of You" Nat King Cole from Acoustic Sounds DSD64

"Limehouse Blues" from Jazz at the Pawnshop from HDTracks 24/88.2 AIFF

....but I do very little "showing off" these days to anyone other than myself.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

It just sounds that way because she finally stopped singing/whining.

Are you always so wishy washy? Do you have any strong opinions?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Senking- Dazed or Tweak

Kraftwerk - Minimum Maximum

Joel Frederiksen - Requiem for a Pink Moon

TrondheimSolistene - Divertimenti

Lambchop - Is a Woman

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Gillian Welch, "Down Along the Dixie Line," The Harrow and the Harvest

Roseann Cash, "500 Miles," The List

Tish Hinojosa (ee-no-HO-sa), "Voice of the Big Guitar," Homeland

Beatles, "I'll Follow the Sun," Beatles for Sale (2009 remastered CD)

Beatles, "Strawberry Fields," Love (24/96 version)

Keith Richards & the X-Pensive Winos, "You Shouldn't Take It So Hard," Live at the Hollywood Palladium

Peter Gabriel, "Don't Give Up," Up

The Shins, "It's Only Life" and "40 Mark Strasse," Port of Morrow

Bach, 6th Concerto in particular, The Brandenburg Concertos (Jordi Savall leading Hesperion XX)

Brian Bromberg, "The Saga of Harrison Crabfeathers," Wood

Rickie Lee Jones, pick a song, Traffic from Paradise (DSD download)

Bonnie Raitt, "Baby Mine," and Aaron Neville, "Mickey Mouse March" (Mouse Club theme song), Stay Awake (interpretations of Disney film music - includes Sun Ra and his Arkestra and Tom Waits among others, out of print for a long time but now back on sale at Amazon for $11.99 and eminently well worth it)

...and on and on

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Gillian Welch, "Down Along the Dixie Line," The Harrow and the Harvest

Roseann Cash, "500 Miles," The List

Tish Hinojosa (ee-no-HO-sa), "Voice of the Big Guitar," Homeland

Beatles, "I'll Follow the Sun," Beatles for Sale (2009 remastered CD)

Beatles, "Strawberry Fields," Love (24/96 version)

Keith Richards & the X-Pensive Winos, "You Shouldn't Take It So Hard," Live at the Hollywood Palladium

Peter Gabriel, "Don't Give Up," Up

The Shins, "It's Only Life" and "40 Mark Strasse," Port of Morrow

Bach, 6th Concerto in particular, The Brandenburg Concertos (Jordi Savall leading Hesperion XX)

Brian Bromberg, "The Saga of Harrison Crabfeathers," Wood

Rickie Lee Jones, pick a song, Traffic from Paradise (DSD download)

Bonnie Raitt, "Baby Mine," and Aaron Neville, "Mickey Mouse March" (Mouse Club theme song), Stay Awake (interpretations of Disney film music - includes Sun Ra and his Arkestra and Tom Waits among others, out of print for a long time but now back on sale at Amazon for $11.99 and eminently well worth it)

...and on and on

I am LOVING this. Thanks so much!

Another reason to have MOG or anything similar. Being able to sample first is awesome. No, it doesn't sound as good as 24/192, but at least I get a chance to see if I want to flop down the bucks. A lot of of these suggestions ARE going to be downloaded, however.

Remember the days of guessing before buying an album or tape? No more!

OK, Here's my list of cuts for guests. Of course it depends on the kind of music they like and/or familiar with. Some are ones I also use for evaluation, along with another list.

Dave's Demo cuts:

Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan

Cowboy Junkies/Trinity Sessions - Walking After Midnight *

Dave's True Story - Sex Without Bodies

Emerson, Lake & Palmer/Best Of - From the Beginning

Everything But the Girl - Before Today (Chicane remix)

Carmen Gnomes - 1000 Shades of Blue *

Patrica Barber/Modern Cool - You and the Night and the Music

Dave Brubeck/Take Five HD - Time Out *

Jazz at the Pawnshop - Take Five

Eiji Oue/RR HD - Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances; Non Allegro *

Michael Stern/RR HD - Brittens Orchestra - Sea Interludes; Dawn

Cantate Dominio/Proprius - Stille Nacht

Moody Blues/Days of Future Past HD - The Day Begins

* I'd say these are well up on a list of must-haves (for sonic quality, and good music)

OK, Here's my list of cuts for guests. Of course it depends on the kind of music they like and/or familiar with. Some are ones I also use for evaluation, along with another list.

Dave's Demo cuts:

Buena Vista Social Club - Chan Chan

Cowboy Junkies/Trinity Sessions - Walking After Midnight *

Dave's True Story - Sex Without Bodies

Emerson, Lake & Palmer/Best Of - From the Beginning

Everything But the Girl - Before Today (Chicane remix)

Carmen Gnomes - 1000 Shades of Blue *

Patrica Barber/Modern Cool - You and the Night and the Music

Dave Brubeck/Take Five HD - Time Out *

Jazz at the Pawnshop - Take Five

Eiji Oue/RR HD - Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances; Non Allegro *

Michael Stern/RR HD - Brittens Orchestra - Sea Interludes; Dawn

Cantate Dominio/Proprius - Stille Nacht

Moody Blues/Days of Future Past HD - The Day Begins

* I'd say these are well up on a list of must-haves (for sonic quality, and good music)

Agree on pretty much all of the list.

The Reference Recordings sound just spectacular, if only they'd start recording something less obscure.

And thanks for reminding me of the Cowboy Junkies. I used to love hat album when it came out, play it over and over again. And I agree it is very well recorded, just one DAT recorder, and minimal miking. I'll need to listen to that again.