IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

I went trough every version of windows since microsoft threw it on the market. Including DOS i can offer over two decades of experience with Microsoft products. But i am barely able to install a linux distribution...

sorry, no linux AO comming from me :(

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

I have to echo everyone else's comments.

If you're using a Windows server, Phil's software is a must.

I defy anyone to find a hardware or cable investment that offers the same bang for the buck.

Couple that with Phil's friendly and timely responses and I can only say if you don't try his software it's your loss.

Products like Phil's have made this hobby more enjoyable than ever for me . . . and I suspect many others as well.

Joel

I second you, Joel.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

Hi,

after reading a lot here I decided to give it a try. I have a Mytek DAC and something very close to the ZUMA. I have active german speakers from Abacus.

Only switching from Windows 8 to Windows Server 2012R2 was already an improvement. But optimizer in Core mode made my speakers so much better. The sound stage improved a lot. I never was a big believer that an OS or cable could make a difference since it is all digital. But I was so wrong. I am running a single PC Setup without JPLAY and only use JRMC.

Everyhing sounds better, clearer an much more alive. If you want better sound and are already have been optimizing your Windows 7/8 system just do the switch to Windows Server 2012R2 with Phil's Optimizer. In my opinion this will be a bigger jump than buying an USB Cable for 300$

Cheers

Timur

Can't be truer. I just switched from W7 to W8 then WS2012R2 within less then 2 months and can't be happier.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

I'll be moving to 2012 soon too, as soon as my exasound e28 is there, going to re install everything. Will run in GUI mode though, because I'll use the pc for both music and HC, since the dad can output 8 analog channel. Just hope net framework 3.5 work with the optimisation because it's needed for the exasound drivers:)

.NET 3.5 is possible, but a bit tricky to install. Microsoft removed the net35 binaries from the standard installation. Install net35 like this:

How to install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 | Daniel Classon

____________________________________________________________________________________

...have a preview what 1.25 will bring:

Version 1.25b3

==============================================

- Support for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Edition

- ServiceTool offers preparation mode for 2012 R2 Essentials Edition

- Possibility to disable USB Optimization via AudiohpileOptimizer

- JRiver Media Center 17 shell replacement via ServiceTool (pcaudio.kr)

- WASAPI(MMCSS) Optimization

- Several bugfixes

Current customers can now test 1.25b3, please email me to get the beta.

Best,

Phil

Version 1.25b3

- Several bugfixes

Best,

Phil

That's great, Phil. Since Essentials is much cheaper.

But can you tell us which of these 2 links to buying it at Amazon is correct if we have one computer? I'm confused by what is the difference between them...

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 64 Bit English AE DVD: Software

Which is $282

VS:

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 64 Bit English DVD: Software

which is $489.

And I presume, if we have a 2 PC setup, we'll need 2 separate licenses, right?

MG555

There are no differences between Standard, Datacenter, Foundation and Essentials.

There are small differences between R1 and R2, more than 95% prefer R2.

There are no differences between Standard, Datacenter, Foundation and Essentials.

There are small differences between R1 and R2, more than 95% prefer R2.

Hi Phil,

Just bringing up a Windows 2012 R2 audio server and am wondering if you offer a trial version of OA?

Best,

Paul

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Version 1.25b3

- Several bugfixes

Best,

Phil

I have been listening to the beta since the weekend. Just gets better and better. Seem to sense more layering and separation of voice and instruments. Just more transparent. Things just seem to float a bit more. Piano leading edge attack, then decay a bit more discernible. It is hard to believe how good this sounds. :)

Thanks

Phil

I second PewterTA's comments.

You're running Win2012 and jPlay now. That's an excellent combination. I think it's superior to other platforms, but not dramatically so. The AO is the magic.

You asked how much of an improvement you can expect with the AO compared to what you're hearing now. Way back in this thread, someone said that what you have now is "unlistenable" by comparison. That's very strong language. My experience bears it out, but the point is, you can expect a very large improvement in SQ with the addition of the AO.

You have not yet heard what we have been raving about.

I hope you are right. It sounds just different then Linux, but not necessarily much better. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Have you tried using Jriver 19 alone, without JPlay? I find that JRiver 19 is way better than when I started out with version 17 and it's no longer a cut and dry matter of JPlay being superior. The big images, sense of flow and depth are qualities JPlay itself imparts on the music. I find JRiver to be a little more dry and accurate sounding, better definition of timing.

Other than that I would love to try out Linux eg Vortebox or MPD but I need to get around to setting up an installation. My only reservation is it seems like there is a lot more setup and legwork involved setting up linux. This is probably drifting a bit off topic, but maybe Phil can do an Linux distro to avoid all the Windows Server licencing woes? :D

Yes, i tried Jriver without Jplay (thats what I have started with). Just added Jplay, but did not give me the magic everyone was raving about. Never tried anything else then MC19, so cannot comment about the sound quality of it compared to previous versions.

Linux (Vortexbox in particular) is so much easier to install than Windows. I started with Lubuntu a year ago, and indeed that was a hussle, but Vortexbox is so easy to get running, with a perfect app and free of charge. So that is my big dilemma now. Put some more money in a windows environment with the risk of getting frustrated too much or get lazy with Vortexbox and always have a thought that there might be a better solution around.

I completely agree with you, I also had hope there is some computer audiophile who press everything out of Linux like Phil does. Because of the natural leanness of the Linux kernel I always thought Linux would be the best platform to build the perfect music server on. But it seems that Linux reached its limit in that way. It is a good possibility that there are to few Linux audiophiles which are willing to put time and energy in optimizing the operating system.

Hi Phil,

Just bringing up a Windows 2012 R2 audio server and am wondering if you offer a trial version of OA?

Best,

Paul

hey Paul

a classic "trial" is technically impossible. But what i can offer is a special 14-day money back guarantee. Please mail me at [email protected] so i can send you the infos about how exactly that 14-day deal works. (Basically its a special version bound to trial/eval versions of server 2012/R2.)

best,

phil

I hope you are right. It sounds just different then Linux, but not necessarily much better. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!

hey edje

people are raving about their systems optimized with my AudiophileOptimizer :-)

without it, it will sound good. Better than w7/w8, but don't expect any magic without AO.

best,

phil

Yes, i tried Jriver without Jplay (thats what I have started with). Just added Jplay, but did not give me the magic everyone was raving about. Never tried anything else then MC19, so cannot comment about the sound quality of it compared to previous versions.

Linux (Vortexbox in particular) is so much easier to install than Windows. I started with Lubuntu a year ago, and indeed that was a hussle, but Vortexbox is so easy to get running, with a perfect app and free of charge. So that is my big dilemma now. Put some more money in a windows environment with the risk of getting frustrated too much or get lazy with Vortexbox and always have a thought that there might be a better solution around.

I completely agree with you, I also had hope there is some computer audiophile who press everything out of Linux like Phil does. Because of the natural leanness of the Linux kernel I always thought Linux would be the best platform to build the perfect music server on. But it seems that Linux reached its limit in that way. It is a good possibility that there are to few Linux audiophiles which are willing to put time and energy in optimizing the operating system.

i had the same idea about linux, small kernel etc. But disabling as much as possible etc is hardly 10% of the end results. There are so many things which matter much more than this.... A small footprint is just the basic platform for stable operation. The "magic" comes from somewhere else... :-)

best,

Phil

So yesterday evening I made the last step, and added the AO script from phil to my setup. I absolutely sounds very special, also compare to Linux.

But to be honest I have to say that there are some points that I favor Linux. I try to explain:

Windows sounds very full, round, very articulated bass, imaging is very, very good, and above all instruments do sound very natural (all compared to Linux).

But when I switch to Linux I get an immidiate sound, with much more crispness at the top end. Soundstage is more towards you. So I miss the detail of the Linux setup. Is the missing detail something you regognise from the Windows setup? And is there something that can be done to solve this?

Can you confirm for 100% you followed every step in the guide?

- did you format your current installation?

- did you use any foreign scripts?

- are you in core mode

- did you use advanced mode of AO?

- What filters do you use?

- what latency settings is your dac using?

best,

phil

See inline:

[- did you format your current installation? Do yoy mean hdd format? I use dual harddisk, and disconnect the Linux hdd tot switch to Windows

- did you use any foreign scripts? No

- are you in core mode Yes

- did you use advanced mode of AO? No, express mode

- What filters do you use? Standard filters in express mode

- what latency settings is your dac using? I use the TThesycon drivers, and latency is set to "minimum latency", buffer is 1000

edje,

Re-run the Optimizer script, do the advanced mode, change the Sound Signature to 4 and the Digital Filter to 'D'. Try that. In my system that gives a much more crisp and slightly leaner and more "in your face" type of sound. Really try it with all of the digital filters but my guess is the Sound Signature of '4' is probably what you're looking for.

I'd also disable as much as you can (only things I keep on mine is the AMD/SATA drivers -- AMD machine and the Remote Desktop in case I want to change things, other than that I disable EVERYTHING I can). That has given me the best sound (though I like SS/DF '2/D' in my system better, which is a warmer more laid back sound).

-Dan

I couldn't say it any better. Express Mode gives a highly compatible result, but certainly not the best sounding. Staggering sound quality unfortunately has it's price...

get familiar with advanced mode, try to say yes as often as you can. Make also sure you applied all recommended bios modifiactions (as close as possible).

best,

phil

So yesterday evening I made the last step, and added the AO script from phil to my setup. I absolutely sounds very special, also compare to Linux.

But to be honest I have to say that there are some points that I favor Linux. I try to explain:

Windows sounds very full, round, very articulated bass, imaging is very, very good, and above all instruments do sound very natural (all compared to Linux).

But when I switch to Linux I get an immidiate sound, with much more crispness at the top end. Soundstage is more towards you. So I miss the detail of the Linux setup. Is the missing detail something you regognise from the Windows setup? And is there something that can be done to solve this?

May I ask what amp, preamp, and speakers are you using? Also, room acoustics is also a major factor. From what you describe, you're getting somewhat recessed music playback lacking details. When I was listening to horn speakers and SET tube amps, I got that presentation and I liked it on some recordings but not on others. For the recordings I deemed too bright, too forward I blamed the room, the cables, the associate electronics and the recordings themselves. I spent lots of money and efforts to improve them save the recordings. I have got better speakers, better tuned room acoustics, silver cables thru out, and the recordings sounded better: more detailed, better balance, more chameleon-like (wide and deep as existed in recordings). Then JPLAY came along, and I immediately recognized it's very good sounding potentials, version after version. However, the impression was not really consistent from one to another recording, and I once again blamed something is missing. This time I am more on right path, because changing over from Windows 7, 8, and now Server 2012/AO has really brought out the best of my modest setup, to the extent that I can be proud of music played back on it.

All ears and sound perceptions are unique and different, and I am still amazed that we all can freely communicate and exchange our findings and even feelings towards the music we listen to and enjoy at our own homes. I'd say always trust your ears and that of those you trust. I am blessed that I've found the audio god whose ears and judgements I trust right here in this forum.

Cheers"