IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Just to chime in as a late comer to the subject. I only scan topics once in a while on the site as so much changes so quickly I let the pioneers do the innovation and testing and am fortunate to then pick and choose a few items here and there. So this one looked interesting and fairly straight forward and low risk. So I took my fairly stock CAPS v3 Carbon music server running off a Black Lightning battery power (stock but for a 2nd 1TB SSD installed for storing music). Wiped it and installed WS2012 R2 in a single computer configuration maxing the options and using 4,D as the filters for now in Core mode with JRiver 19 (have not installed JPlay). Optimzed with AO and made all other recommended changes/tweaks. Well it would be an understatement to say I was blown away. This is a really huge improvement in sound quality (imaging/depth and reduction of digital "glare" as well as reduction of noise floor were particularly significant). Big kudo's to AudioPhil and the others here who have supported the development. Best E100 I ever spent, and extremely easy and quick to do (it really doesn't require much technical skill as the documentation is very clear). Have to wonder how much of an improvement a dual-PC config would make... (dual NIC is the only pain b/c I have a couple other small computers that could serve well as a controlPC).

[Also as a side note as I saw it asked above (or maybe some other thread), works well with the Lampizator DAC (using a Big 6 + DSD) with Amanero drivers in kernal streaming mode.]

I'm with you on this bit as well.

I do believe that many users are hearing the difference.

I also believe that the optimizer is making a difference.

However what I don't know, is will I personally be able to hear the difference.

I did find stock WS2012 to be sightly better than Win 7/8, but not hugely so. As Phil explained very well here, there are any number of factors that could explain why you don't hear an improvement with stock WS2012.

The possible gains in sound quality are not absolute, they vary from system to system. Additionaly there are always environmental conditions one has to deal with, and those conditions change on a regular basis. Dirty power is such an example, can you rember you asking yourself why your system does not sound as good as it did last night? There you go, changing environmental conditions. Then you have the components one uses, pc, ddc, dac, cables, amp, quality of source files, how gifted was the recording engineer etc. On top of that not everybodys physical hearing capabilities are on the same level, nor how "trained" the hearing is at all. All this comes together and certainly everybody will hear a different degree of what my software does.

But i am very happy it obviously does a good job over all, and depending on each's constellation of above mentioned factors really is able to deliver spectacular and staggering results.

It's important to note that the difference that people are excited about is the Audiophile Optimizer, not upgrading to stock WS2012. The importance of WS2012 for me is not how it sounds alone, but rather that it's a prerequisite to running the AO. The difference I hear between Win 7/8 to WS2012 is tiny. The difference I hear between WS2012 to WS2012 + AO is huge. That has been the case for a large number of his satisfied users.

If you're not sufficiently persuaded by AudioPhil's theory and the numerous glowing testimonials, then I suspect that nothing anyone can say will assure you enough to take a chance on the AO.

Phil has stated that he's working on an evaluation version of the AO. That could be an option for you when it's ready.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

If you're not sufficiently persuaded by AudioPhil's theory and the numerous glowing testimonials, then I suspect that nothing anyone can say will assure you enough to take a chance on the AO.

Phil has stated that he's working on an evaluation version of the AO. That could be an option for you when it's ready.

If I wasn't persuaded in the first place, I would have never started my WS2012 adventure.

What I'm doing now, is getting myself familiair with WS2012.

As it is a requirement for AO.

My next step is to see if I can get used to using windows in core mode.

Knowing I wont be able to use core mode to play music, I just want to see if I am pc literate enough to use it.

If I find it is something I can consider myself using, it will be another step closer to AO.

If I wasn't persuaded in the first place, I would have never started my WS2012 adventure.

What I'm doing now, is getting myself familiair with WS2012.

As it is a requirement for AO.

My next step is to see if I can get used to using windows in core mode.

Knowing I wont be able to use core mode to play music, I just want to see if I am pc literate enough to use it.

If I find it is something I can consider myself using, it will be another step closer to AO.

I see.

Of course, you're right that you have to make sure that a lean WS2012 OS will work with the rest of your system and that you reach a level of comfort with its intentionally restricted features.

I notice that you mentioned PC literacy. The approach that I took was that I have dual servers running WS2012 core for music and a third computer in my system running Win 8 that I use for A/V streaming, torrenting, music library management, etc. I use my music servers more like audio components and less like computers. So the interface on my WS2012 ControlPC, is pretty much just JRiver. It's almost like it doesn't have an OS.

I want to take a step back and apologize if my tone sounded harsh in my previous post. Obviously you are "persuaded" to give all of this a try. I hope you do and look forward to your impressions.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Just to chime in as a late comer to the subject. I only scan topics once in a while on the site as so much changes so quickly I let the pioneers do the innovation and testing and am fortunate to then pick and choose a few items here and there. So this one looked interesting and fairly straight forward and low risk. So I took my fairly stock CAPS v3 Carbon music server running off a Black Lightning battery power (stock but for a 2nd 1TB SSD installed for storing music). Wiped it and installed WS2012 R2 in a single computer configuration maxing the options and using 4,D as the filters for now in Core mode with JRiver 19 (have not installed JPlay). Optimzed with AO and made all other recommended changes/tweaks. Well it would be an understatement to say I was blown away. This is a really huge improvement in sound quality (imaging/depth and reduction of digital "glare" as well as reduction of noise floor were particularly significant). Big kudo's to AudioPhil and the others here who have supported the development. Best E100 I ever spent, and extremely easy and quick to do (it really doesn't require much technical skill as the documentation is very clear). Have to wonder how much of an improvement a dual-PC config would make... (dual NIC is the only pain b/c I have a couple other small computers that could serve well as a controlPC).

[Also as a side note as I saw it asked above (or maybe some other thread), works well with the Lampizator DAC (using a Big 6 + DSD) with Amanero drivers in kernal streaming mode.]

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that, like me, you're also very happy with it.

You're in a position to answer a question that I've had. I've been a bit of a skeptic regarding computer hardware optimization. I went for the Paul Pang USB card, but beyond that, my computers are fairly standard. Before you installed WS2012 + AO, your computer was pretty well optimized for audio.

So, in your estimation, was there a bigger gain from the software optimization than the hardware optimization? If so, by how much?

I see.

Of course, you're right that you have to make sure that a lean WS2012 OS will work with the rest of your system and that you reach a level of comfort with its intentionally restricted features.

I notice that you mentioned PC literacy. The approach that I took was that I have dual servers running WS2012 core for music and a third computer in my system running Win 8 that I use for A/V streaming, torrenting, music library management, etc. I use my music servers more like audio components and less like computers. So the interface on my WS2012 ControlPC, is pretty much just JRiver. It's almost like it doesn't have an OS.

I want to take a step back and apologize if my tone sounded harsh in my previous post. Obviously you are "persuaded" to give all of this a try. I hope you do and look forward to your impressions.

It's ok, no apology needed.

I started out with a conventional pc, but after moving into my gf house space was an issue, so it got traded to a laptop.

A well specced 1.5TB HDD , 16gb ram asus.

very happy with that.

My old pc got donated to a younger member of the family so he can indulge himself in his passion of videogames.

I use my current laptop for daily use, as well as you put it well audio equipment.

The more I use the laptop as audio equipment , the more I like it.

And it's easy to control from distance with android app gizmo.

But as it's also my main laptop, I can't make it my dedicated audio pc.

As my laptop is now my only source of pc, I could not afford to play with OS systems.

However I was lucky to find a working HP 320GB HDD 2GB ram laptop in the hard rubbish.

So now I have a spare laptop to play with.

My goal is to make this laptop my dedicated audio only pc, and I am trying to figure out what's the best way for me.

What I do know for now, is that a dual pc set up, is getting too complicated for me.(this might change in the future)

And for now, I am not ready to use Jplay, this may also change in the future.

So for now I am exploring the best option for one audio pc only.

Using pc as audio equipment, and nothing else.

So I can keep using my main laptop for normal non audio stuff.

I am here on this forum to learn.

I have got an open mind for everything.

And all input is appreciated.

thank you very much, great to hear you like it so much. one more in the club! :)

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Phil, first off, sorry to hear about your loss, you and your family have my sincerest condolences.

Audioclyde,

Open up regedit... go to here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces and look at the GUIDs there, one of them should be your wireless adapter. Make sure the IPAddress has the IP you want to use, my guess is that might be missing, if there's no IPAddress in any of the GUIDs (upon reboot) then that's the problem. Create a string value and name it "IPAddress" Then edit it and put in the IP you want to use.

That should do it. If you have any questions, just let me know and I'll help you get it set. I've seen this type of thing happen before on VMs for whatever reason.

Thanks!!! That seemed to do the trick; I haven't yet rebooted to see if to see if it works after that, but I'm now connected to my local wifi network via the Mini's ethernet connection and have the wifi connection turned off.....I'm almost embarrassed to offer this up, but when I started JRiver and playing music after this change, I'm definitely hearing yet another slight increase in sound quality with the wife connection turned off :)!

Okay fella's...Im getting more tempted! lol

If I do this, I should probably do it all the way...so to that degree, I have a HP netbook that could be used as the "control" PC...

Just so I understand the optimal setup...

On my control PC, would I also run 2012? From what I understand, I run (my preference) JRiver on it, using JPlay to stream my media over wifi to the audio PC, which is running AO in core mode, which is also running JRiver? And JRiver is setup up as the only GUI on the audio PC?

Ill have to go and reread Phil' AO PDF...

Hi

The first chapters has been rewritten to better guide people who are where you are now. Download 1.24 and read the first few pages, you then should know if you should start with a single PC or DualPC Setup.

Phil

____________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks Phil...

In a dual PC setup, where is the media library held? All my media is on an external USB drive...

Is it preferable to run this off the control or audio PC?

Also, the AO script is designed to be run on and optimized for both control and audio PC's?

Hi

all media needs to be where the control pc is, be it local media, nas, etc. ControlPC will host your mediaplayer, the AudioPC will be an isolated slave device.

the Optimizer is built "around" JPLAY, so you can and should use it on both machines in a dual pc config.

best,

phil

Thanks again Phil...

In a dual PC setup, does the audio PC need two network adapters? One for network/internet (wifi) and another strictly for communication with the control PC? Be it LAN or wifi?

Or can a dual setup be acomplished with a single wifi card?

Edit: Okay, further reading...control PC must be network hard wired to audio PC...?

Condolences Phil.

What are people doing on the Control PC Jriver audio settings, the one below choosing the device. Specifically, there are two choices on buffering. I unchecked large hardware buffers and had the drop down set to minimum hardware, but I was getting some pops at song beginnings. I then put the drop down to 50 milliseconds, the suggested rate and left large hardware unchecked. This seemed to help. I still get some pops when switching to hi-res. My listening habit is to have my whole library on random, so switching around so much may be the issue?

Maybe my issue is that my ControlPC is currently an Atom, so not powerful enough for Jplay or minimum latency settings? I do plan to upgrade. I have Jplay set on DL for regular PCM, but have 8,18,32 for hi-res. I tried raising these but it did not help. No tweaks in the Jplay registry. AO is fully optimized, minimal core on controlpc and core on audiopc.

Thoughts?

Excellent post Phil....

This is why I am considering moving from Win8.1 to 2012R2. No new trails to blaze and a bunch of folks already running 2012 to assist. Win8 to 8.1 was a good upgrade (far less resources used), and with 2012 having a trial version available, it is just my time (effort involved) to get it setup to evaluate.

Was at CAD Scripts (Modified) Win8.1+Fidelizer+JPlay. Then went to stock 2012R2 + JPlay and sound was almost the same. Ran AO and now details, separation of instruments, vocals are all improved. And I can now run lower settings in JPlay (Reg and Settings) without the sound turning bright/edgy.

And the cost of AO is well worth it based on feedback here and at other forums - nothing but glowing reviews. The cost is right around what JPlay cost and that was also a great add-on.

Well I am now part of the 2012R2+AO Happy Family Member !! i5 Haswell, 8gb, 128 SSD. Working with Win8 really helped with using 2012. If I was coming from WIn7 to 2012 the learning curve would have been a little steeper.

I had an Win8.1 (Modified CAD scripts) and Fidelizer (3 & 4), but with just a little listening using settings 4D and RD enabled, and it is an improvement over my previous setup. Have not switched over to CORE yet as I wanted to get all my settings done first, make sure everything is stable, then go to CORE.

Worst part of 2012R2 was my NIC Driver - Intel i218-V. No support for 2012R2 in Prowin8 Driver (V18.8.1 release - But read-me says it supports 2012R2). So a little INF hacking (device is 1559) and voila, drivers installed and working just fine.

Right now running 4D for sound as a start. I have not had time to test the other settings yet.

Thanks Phil for a very nice product.

Forgot to put this in my last post. Listened to my 2012R2 + JPlay 5.2 and sound was equal to My CAD modified scripts on Win8.1 + JPlay 5.2 + Fidelizer 3. When I added AO to 2012R2 is where the real improvement was. Better detail, better delineation between instruments, and I can now run JPlay with lower settings without it being bright/edgy. Running 4D now until I switch over to CORE mode to see what that is like.

...core mode is the holy grail. you'll love it!

Just don't forget to do a full run with the Optimizer, after you used the ServiceTool to switch to core mode.

I finally broke down and purchased Audiophil's optimizer last week.

1) for DLNA it approaches parity to my ad hoc optimization done with Tchuyev's scripts... and it makes it easy with version 1.24 setting Foobar2000 or Jriver as shell for core mode which I could not do before. I'm no longer worried about remembering how I got there on optimization for my next server build.

2) its clearly optimized for asynch USB with Jplay... without Jplay the optimized asynch USB solution could not compete with DLNA fidelity. With Jplay my DLNA and asynch USB setups seem equal so far after a few days of listening in a single PC setup.

So heartily recommend Audiophil's optimizer for media PC with both DLNA and asynch USB. The only real change I had to do was enable jumbo frames for DLNA otherwise I used the optimizer set for core mode with network but no wifi.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I finally broke down and purchased Audiophil's optimizer last week.

1) for DLNA it approaches parity to my ad hoc optimization done with Tchuyev's scripts... and it makes it easy with version 1.24 setting Foobar2000 or Jriver as shell for core mode which I could not do before. I'm no longer worried about remembering how I got there on optimization for my next server build.

2) its clearly optimized for asynch USB with Jplay... without Jplay the optimized asynch USB solution could not compete with DLNA fidelity. With Jplay my DLNA and asynch USB setups seem equal so far after a few days of listening in a single PC setup.

So heartily recommend Audiophil's optimizer for media PC with both DLNA and asynch USB. The only real change I had to do was enable jumbo frames for DLNA otherwise I used the optimizer set for core mode with network but no wifi.

Would you mind explaining more on the optimized asynch USB solution? Are you saying the Optimizer will not work with JRiver 19?

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

@Dave, please don't confuse people. JRiver works without issues regardless of constellation, usb, firewire, hdmi, core, gui, wifi or whatever you use it for.