IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

@julian, will Mutec ever support DoP over SPDIF or AES inputs? I understand its limitations to DSD64 but why wouldnt the 3+ be able to do it?

Hi tboooe,

I've been back and forth about this with our development team for a while now trying to explore all the options. Firstly, what you're asking for would require an additional mode of operation and we don't see a way to properly integrate that into the current user interface. The unit is already complex as it is and adding another mode without a complete interface overhaul would be really awkward at best. Secondly, there are other technical reasons that prohibit us from re-clocking native DSD and DoP streams without a conversion to PCM. I understand it's difficult to accept since DoP is so similar to PCM, but believe me when I say that our hands are tied in this regard.

Best regards,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi there,

Regarding 1):

I'm still waiting for some additional feedback from our beta testers in this regard, so please bear with me.

Regarding 2):

We don't have any plans for an MC-3+USB with a built-in Ref10 and it wouldn't make much sense with the current product pipeline. The Ref10 has more uses than just as an upgrade to the MC-3+USB, for example using it in conjunction with a DAC. So it really stands its ground as a separate product.

Julian

Thank you. One more clarification, if I do not have a DAC with a 10mhz input, will I still get the full benefits of the Ref10 with ​just the MC-3+ USB?

I hope 1) is positive. Daisy-chaining multiple 3+ is a crazy solution imo. Almost makes me want to sit back and say 'I'll check back in a few years, when the tech is more mature.'

Thank you. One more clarification, if I do not have a DAC with a 10mhz input, will I still get the full benefits of the Ref10 with ​just the MC-3+ USB?

Sure, it will basically provide an even more accurate reference for the re-clocking process in the MC-3+USB. If you upgrade your DAC at some point to a model with a 10 MHz input, you could even use the multiple outputs of the Ref10 as a mutual reference for both the MC-3+USB and the DAC!

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Sure, it will basically provide an even more accurate reference for the re-clocking process in the MC-3+USB. If you upgrade your DAC at some point to a model with a 10 MHz input, you could even use the multiple outputs of the Ref10 as a mutual reference for both the MC-3+USB and the DAC!

Julian

Thank you. One thing that concerns my friends and I, and I've seen some people do mods for this too- any chance to get a Mutec 3+ USB with an external PS without us needing to mod it?

Finally as for the REF10- all that is left now is to understand some sort of potential costs... I couldn't find anything (in English) about the Munich show! Care to share? :))

While I wait for my local dealer to get one in stock so I can test it, I have more questions on the functionality... I am thinking of connecting two DACs, one via AES out, and one via SPDIF out, to the Mutec 3+ USB. Will this work? If so will it output to both DACs at once, or do I need to select one or the other?

If I understand this correctly it will work but you will just need to make sure that only one input is playing at a given time.

While having multiple inputs on the back panel, the MC-3+ and the MC-3+USB both will re-clock only one source at a given time, but output the re-clocked signal via all the available outputs simultaneously. You can switch between different sources via the reference menu. So it doesn't matter if more than one source is playing back - whatever you have selected as the reference input will dictate what's being re-clocked. Think of it as a simple source switch on your audio preamp! The only difference is that the re-clocking process is doing its magic inside the MC-3+ / MC-3+USB.

Here's a graphic that may help you understand the possible connections:

MUTEC_mc-3+USB_infographic_reclocking_en.jpg

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

While having multiple inputs on the back panel, the MC-3+ and the MC-3+USB both will re-clock only one source at a given time, but output the re-clocked signal via all the available outputs simultaneously. You can switch between different sources via the reference menu. So it doesn't matter if more than one source is playing back - whatever you have selected as the reference input will dictate what's being re-clocked. Think of it as a simple source switch on your audio preamp! The only difference is that the re-clocking process is doing its magic inside the MC-3+ / MC-3+USB.

Here's a graphic that may help you understand the possible connections:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26986[/ATTACH]

My friend finally got a Mutec 3+ USB in for testing. It is not registering his Aurender N100H (Linux-based streamer) in re-clocking mode. Any idea what may be wrong?

jelt2359,

Make sure he's got it set to "intern" and "reclock". So on the left, the top and bottom green lights should be lit.

I have an N100H and with these settings the Mutec works perfectly.

Dave

Laufer Teknik Memory Player / Lynx AES16e PCIe card

heavily-modded Audio Note DAC kit / Placette RVC volume control

Audio Note Quest Silver Signature amps / Audio Note AN-E SPe SE Signature speakers

Chord Mojo for headphones / Campfire Audio Andromeda SS IEM / InEar ProPhile 8 IEM

jelt2359,

Make sure he's got it set to "intern" and "reclock". So on the left, the top and bottom green lights should be lit.

I have an N100H and with these settings the Mutec works perfectly.

Dave

thanks. Silly question, how does he turn both of these on? Does he just cycle through the modes?

I have been using my MC-3+USB to convert from USB to via AES to my DAC. This has worked really well.

I know want to us it to re-clock the output from my REDNET D16 to my DAC to see if it improves the SQ.

I have read through the PDF but cannot figure out how to set this up. My D16 will put out a constant 192K so I want the Mutec to simply re-clock this and put out 192K which is the limit of my DAC.

I assume that I set it for INTERN and RE-CLK. Not sure what to choose after that.

I hope to have have 192K AES in and 192K AES out.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I have been using my MC-3+USB to convert from USB to via AES to my DAC. This has worked really well.

I know want to us it to re-clock the output from my REDNET D16 to my DAC to see if it improves the SQ.

I have read through the PDF but cannot figure out how to set this up. My D16 will put out a constant 192K so I want the Mutec to simply re-clock this and put out 192K which is the limit of my DAC.

I assume that I set it for INTERN and RE-CLK. Not sure what to choose after that.

Hi there,

It really is as simple as setting the MC-3+USB to INTERN and RE-CLK in the mode menu and then selecting AES3/11 in the reference menu (bottom two LEDs are lit). If the input is 192 kHz, the output will be 192 kHz as well -> there is no sampling rate conversion happening inside the MC-3+USB (with the exception of the DSD ->PCM mode). Once the blue lock LED comes on, you should see the status LEDs on the far right indicating 192.0 kHz as well (bottom two LEDs are lit here as well).

Hope this helps!

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi mourip

After you've selected the reclock /intern mode the reclocked signal will be available on all outputs. So no need to do anything else after setting the reclock mode.

Cheers

Hi there,

It really is as simple as setting the MC-3+USB to INTERN and RE-CLK in the mode menu and then selecting AES3/11 in the reference menu (bottom two LEDs are lit). If the input is 192 kHz, the output will be 192 kHz as well -> there is no sampling rate conversion happening inside the MC-3+USB (with the exception of the DSD ->PCM mode). Once the blue lock LED comes on, you should see the status LEDs on the far right indicating 192.0 kHz as well (bottom two LEDs are lit here as well).

Hope this helps!

Julian

Hi mourip

After you've selected the reclock /intern mode the reclocked signal will be available on all outputs. So no need to do anything else after setting the reclock mode.

Cheers

Thanks a lot! Will give this a try tomorrow when my second AES cable arrives...

System

I know some Mutec people follow this thread... Just wondering if you have ever considered making an Ethernet to AES/SPDIF/i2s converter using Dante, a bit like the Focusrite Rednet. Seems that with your experience you'd be well placed to make a great unit. Any thoughts on that?

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Added the Mutec 3+ USB back into my chain as a re-clocker for my REDNet D16. I used AES in and out at 192K. This brought the SQ definitely up a notch from the already stunning quality of the D16. More refinement and clarity.

Thanks!

System

I know some Mutec people follow this thread... Just wondering if you have ever considered making an Ethernet to AES/SPDIF/i2s converter using Dante, a bit like the Focusrite Rednet. Seems that with your experience you'd be well placed to make a great unit. Any thoughts on that?

Hi there,

It's certainly something we're watching very closely, but there are no immediate plans at the moment. Just out of curiosity, apart from the broadcast & pro world, is anybody using Dante at home?

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi there,

It's certainly something we're watching very closely, but there are no immediate plans at the moment. Just out of curiosity, apart from the broadcast & pro world, is anybody using Dante at home?

Julian

I don't think in large numbers yet for home use, but there's some recent interesting discusison as some audiophiles are discovering the Focusrite Rednet units as a way of getting USB out of the chain and claiming excellent sonic results. Some people are also using these in conjunction with MC3+USB. That's why I thought of you! See these threads:

AUDIO over IP - the coming wave! The AES67 and AVB Ethernet Protocols usher in a New Age of Computer Audio.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/focusrite-rednet-28878/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/ethernet-input-dacs-28414/

Personally I think ethernet is totally the way forward. Dante does have some limitations such as only up to 192 PCM and no DSD (although apparently it is technically feasible, there's just been no demand so far). But the attractive thing when used with the DVS virtual sound card is that it's player-neutral, so you're not locked in.

But also I think not everyone wants a 1U or 2U rack unit like the Focusrite Rednets at home. What audiophiles interested in this are perhaps looking for more a is a Dante stereo converter using the Brooklyn II board up to 192khz in a smaller form factor.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer