IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

A short review of the MC-3+ USB with a direct comparison to the Berkeley Alpha USB (amongst others): Mutec MC-3+USB DDC Review

Interesting. I don't doubt that the Mutec sounds very good, and will know soon enough. I am just curious as to why, apart from the Mutec related sites, I haven't read any comparisons. Don't read anything into this, I don't know myself, yet. I have Mutec on the way, and can report back, soon enough.

Sorry about the picture lying on its side. Let's try this again!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25968[/ATTACH]

Thank you for the update Julian.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Hi there,

We had hoped to have both the firmware update and the new 10 MHz clock ready for the show, but we unfortunately had to delay both for several reasons. With the firmware update, we're really just a couple of weeks away from the release and we'll make sure that you guys learn about it first. One reason for the delay is that we're still tweaking some parameters in the MC-3+USB firmware in order to provide a significant sonic improvement of the re-clocking performance, and we really don't want to rush that. The 10 MHz clock has been completely overhauled compared to earlier product information that has been circulating around here and we now have a no-holds-barred design that we believe is going to be a big step up from everything else out there. We actually had a pre-production prototype running at the exhibit in Munich that we showed to press and dealer contact. Chris Connaker and a couple of other CA users had the chance to see it, and we'll have some sneak preview shots in our exhibit wrap-up on our website soon. A part of why we had to postpone the release is that we want to make sure that the cosmetics of the unit are up to snuff with the sound quality and that we have our distribution and press channels in order for the release. As some of you know, we're still relatively new to the audiophile world and so the show was a good place for us to get all our ducks in a row to have a real impact when we release the 10 MHz clock.

That being said, we are in the process of getting a couple of prototypes out to betatesters at the moment and we are currently looking at a release date around September of this year.

Thank you all for your patience. It'll be worth it!

Julian

Hello Julian. Just so I am clear that I understand correctly, based on your comments, will the 10mhz clock be a new product to be used in conjunction with the MC-3+USB? Or is it intended as a completely new unit that represents an upgrade over the current MC-3+USB model? Thank you.

JC

Hi there,

The 10 MHz clock has been completely overhauled compared to earlier product information that has been circulating around here and we now have a no-holds-barred design that we believe is going to be a big step up from everything else out there. We actually had a pre-production prototype running at the exhibit in Munich that we showed to press and dealer contact. Chris Connaker and a couple of other CA users had the chance to see it, and we'll have some sneak preview shots in our exhibit wrap-up on our website soon. A part of why we had to postpone the release is that we want to make sure that the cosmetics of the unit are up to snuff with the sound quality and that we have our distribution and press channels in order for the release.

Julian

I hope you guys don't spend too much time and energy on cosmetics. One of the reasons I like Mutec is that your roots are in pro-audio and the build is utilitarian rather than audiophile "bling".

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

One reason for the delay is that we're still tweaking some parameters in the MC-3+USB firmware in order to provide a significant sonic improvement of the re-clocking performance, and we really don't want to rush that.

Thank you all for your patience. It'll be worth it!

Julian

Julian,

just to clarify the "significant sonic improvement"-

will existing Mutec MC-3+USB users with the (eventual) new firmware, but without the new external clock device, realize these sonic improvements?

trying to verify if the firmware alone yields the "sonic improvement"

or if it's firmware + new external clock.

thank you!

Julian,

will existing Mutec MC-3+USB users with the (eventual) new firmware, but without the new external clock device, realize these sonic improvements?

thank you!

According to this interview, unfortunately in German language, it appears that both (firmware upgrade of the MC-3+USB and the new clock) will.

Interesting. I don't doubt that the Mutec sounds very good, and will know soon enough. I am just curious as to why, apart from the Mutec related sites, I haven't read any comparisons. Don't read anything into this, I don't know myself, yet. I have Mutec on the way, and can report back, soon enough.

There is a very busy thread regarding DDC's over on Head-Fi. The OP of that thread does a lot of testing, listening, and subjective ranking. He has a Mutec USB on the way so hopefully the headphone brothers will get an introduction soon.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I would like to ask your opinion...does it make sense if i use an Audiobyte hydra z (which I have already owned ) in tandem with Mutec?

I mean that if i have 2 clocks in a sequence the final jitter may be extremely low in order to benefit a better sound quality...

Just my thoughts...

Aurender X100L 12T, dac TIDAL PREOS, Cybershaft premium 10.0M,Mutec mc-3+usb,TIDAL PREOS D

TIDAL IMPULSE,TIDAL PIANO CERA (Duelund x-over), Argento FMR, TRON DIGITAL, Stealth USB-T,Argento flow, Argento FMR power cables ,2 Rack of Silence, Torus RM16, Acoustic Treatment,EMO EN-70HD lan isolator, Meicord-Supra(CAT7+) lan cables, IFI ipower for router.

I would like to ask your opinion...does it make sense if i use an Audiobyte hydra z (which I have already owned ) in tandem with Mutec?

I mean that if i have 2 clocks in a sequence the final jitter may be extremely low in order to benefit a better sound quality...

Just my thoughts...

Swissbear, PewterTA and myself, probably a few more of course, all have a 2nd Mutec reclocker. The difference in SQ is such a relaxing effort to just present music, so the technology works.

I had a look at the Hydra Z, it is a competitor to the Mutec, with one big difference, in that it has also has galvanic isolated USB in, and all outputs, but no digital inputs.

Not a problem. Use the Hydra Z from the computer and output either AES3id or AES3 to the Mutec which will reclock the input and output either TOS, AES3id, AES3 or S/PDIF coax to your DAC. 2 stage re-clocking, it will work fine, just enjoy the music.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

anybody used the Mutec with the uRendu yet ? it will interesting to see if Mutec provides additional benefits over the custom designed h/w which is specifically targeted to solve some of the usb drawbacks.

anybody used the Mutec with the uRendu yet ? it will interesting to see if Mutec provides additional benefits over the custom designed h/w which is specifically targeted to solve some of the usb drawbacks.

I would love to know that too. I have become interested in the Mutec ( late to the party ) and that is now the big question in my mind.

Wish I could buy one of those at Musicians Friend where I have a gift certificate just waiting to be spent...

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I ordered one a week ago but am still waiting for confirmed ship date. Will post impressions once received.

Swissbear, PewterTA and myself, probably a few more of course, all have a 2nd Mutec reclocker. The difference in SQ is such a relaxing effort to just present music, so the technology works.

I had a look at the Hydra Z, it is a competitor to the Mutec, with one big difference, in that it has also has galvanic isolated USB in, and all outputs, but no digital inputs.

Not a problem. Use the Hydra Z from the computer and output either AES3id or AES3 to the Mutec which will reclock the input and output either TOS, AES3id, AES3 or S/PDIF coax to your DAC. 2 stage re-clocking, it will work fine, just enjoy the music.

Thank you!

Aurender X100L 12T, dac TIDAL PREOS, Cybershaft premium 10.0M,Mutec mc-3+usb,TIDAL PREOS D

TIDAL IMPULSE,TIDAL PIANO CERA (Duelund x-over), Argento FMR, TRON DIGITAL, Stealth USB-T,Argento flow, Argento FMR power cables ,2 Rack of Silence, Torus RM16, Acoustic Treatment,EMO EN-70HD lan isolator, Meicord-Supra(CAT7+) lan cables, IFI ipower for router.

An important part of the USB transmission process is the cable of course. There's been very few audiophile grade USB cables that meet the 90 Ohm spec (openly) and have for some searched to no avail, other than the Belkin or Supra models. By chance, looked at CD Japan under gadgets and here they are, 90 Ohm 'audiophile grade' USB cables. Enter "SAEC USB" in the search box.

For the Intona, the shorter cables the better, and a few days ago tested the "Triple USB SUS-480" 0.3m against the $2.50 Lindy cables, and there's solidity and a little extra height in the image now, cleaned up sibilance on Diana Krall "Girl in the other Room" and for USD149 they do and should sound a lot better. Drums have that better attack about them, often difficult. Not a big change, but like most things in this hobby small changes along the way, is a staggered set of circumstances, all help the end effect. Also delivered at the same time a longer 0.7m to the MC-3+USB #1. Will install this one on the weekend and report to replace the Nordost Blue Heaven.

This is the literal description from Japanese using Google Translate at CD-Japan. The SUS-480 is not on the SAEC site in English, some marketing issue, my guess. SAEC distribute the Supra product, and there's some tie in with Oyaide.

SAEC audio for high-quality USB cable (0.3m) SUS-480 [saeku] Commerce Co., Ltd.

Conductor Configuration signal section, both in the power supply unit adopts PCOCC-A conductor. To the power supply line to have the thickness of the 0.37SQ, it has achieved a stable power supply. [insulation] signal section, both the power supply unit uses a fluorocarbon plastic <Fluon> having a dielectric constant of the minimum value (2.1) to achieve an improvement in transmission speed.

Configuration to separate the signal section and a power supply unit, was to avoid the adverse effects due to radiation noise from the power supply unit. In addition, adoption of the copper foil and braid shield to the signal section. Also adopted a braided shield to the power supply unit, but also extremely thorough each of the noise.

Characteristic impedance highest transmission speed of USB 2.0 High Speed ​​Class correspondence of 480Mbps. Transmission line to USB which is the characteristic impedance 90Ω has been consistent, we also suppress loss due to signal reflection. By adopting the sheath material] thermo plastic elastomer, we worked to improve the flexibility and the haptic properties.

Cable conductor PCOCC-A conductor [cable outer diameter] 5mm × 9.5mm

Also in the same delivery from SAEC are 0.7m BNC-BNC cables for the link between #1 and #2 Mutec again, see how this works against an AES3 cheapie. 0.7m is the shortest available.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I would love to know that too. I have become interested in the Mutec ( late to the party ) and that is now the big question in my mind.

Wish I could buy one of those at Musicians Friend where I have a gift certificate just waiting to be spent...

i have received the Mircorrendu to use with my MC3 usb , and it's a revelation , all sounds more real and cleaner too, no going back to the MC3 directlty plug to my macmini.

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

I hope you guys don't spend too much time and energy on cosmetics. One of the reasons I like Mutec is that your roots are in pro-audio and the build is utilitarian rather than audiophile "bling".

The design of the new clock is going to be far from esoteric, but we do want it to reflect the quality of the sound. Think of it more in terms of streamlining the interface and working out some production kinks.

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hello Julian. Just so I am clear that I understand correctly, based on your comments, will the 10mhz clock be a new product to be used in conjunction with the MC-3+USB? Or is it intended as a completely new unit that represents an upgrade over the current MC-3+USB model? Thank you.

JC

Julian,

thank you!

We expect the firmware update to yield a sonic improvement for all MC-3+USB users. The developers are still tweaking a few parameters as we speak to make that happen.

The 10 MHz clock on the other hand is a new product that can be used with MUTEC's MC-3+ Smart Clock and MC-3+ Smart Clock USB to improve the re-clocking process even further by applying the super precise 10 MHz signal in our unique externally referenced re-clocking mode (extern & re-clk on the MC-3+USB). Also, the 10 MHz clock will be fully compatible with DACs by other manufacturers with a 10 MHz input such as the Esoteric and new TEAC UD-503 DAC/headphone amp.

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Julian,

How will the firmware upgrade for the Mutec-3+USB be implemented? That is, will it be through a download, usb,?

Bascially it will be a simple update process that you can run via the driver utility on Windows. The update will be available as a free download on MUTEC's website. We'll have instructions as a readme file and a list of changes for you soon. I'm still waiting for information on how this is done on a Mac.

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi Julian,

Could you please precise time frames for update of MC-3+ USB and Ref10 ?

If I understood correctly the interview in German language, your boss mentioned end of June for the update and September for the Ref10. Is this correct ?

Yes, both is correct, although I'm hoping the firmware update will happen a bit sooner.

Thanks,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Bascially it will be a simple update process that you can run via the driver utility on Windows. The update will be available as a free download on MUTEC's website. We'll have instructions as a readme file and a list of changes for you soon. I'm still waiting for information on how this is done on a Mac.

Julian

Julian,

How will we be notified when the firmware update is available?

Ken

I'm going to be setting mine up this weekend, and with the Mutec plus a 10MHz standard. My own experience with both the Mutec and Brainstorm DCD-8 is that while one is good, two are better, though if you're using a 10MHz rubidium standard, the cascaded difference is not enough; I.E., I would use one Mutec and one rubidium standard with it before I would cascade two Mutecs- and two Mutecs with rubidium standards is getting into the area of diminishing returns, IMO.

YMMV, of course; this is all with a TotalDAC-D1 dual following the Mutecs. The microRendu is intended for a more portable and demo system, and as such is expected to usually be used with an AURALiC Vega or a CA 851D, for demoing more moderate priced gear and doing sonic evaluations on Class D solutions at work. But if the microRendu works out as expected, I'll likely get another one and consider how to set that up, as there may be something more portable than a sonicOrbitor to use it with for out of the home use that is acceptable sonically.

And BTW, I'll be using an Alpha USB after the microRendu in my main system, to feed my Mutec, but for portable use am hoping that the microRendu will play nice enough for now that I don't need something between it and the fairly high quality USB input on the Vega. Will have to listen carefully, and put it on the AP to know for sure...

Hi guys...I am comparing a Pi acting as a renderer in my system against my tweaked PC. I am using a SPDIF output board with my Pi3. I only have USB on my PC. So my question is....is there any reason sound from the Mutec would be any different from its USB, SPDIF or AES inputs? I am trying to isolate why I am hearing differences between the Pi3 and PC and would like to eliminate the Mutec as the source of these differences.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments