IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

The V1.10 firmware update will be available for download on July 28th. No joke ;-)

Julian

I hope your servers can handle it!

So just to be clear, the firmware will be available on July 28th German time? If so that means us folks in the US can get it a day earlier?????

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I hope your servers can handle it!

So just to be clear, the firmware will be available on July 28th German time? If so that means us folks in the US can get it a day earlier?????

Yeah, consider yourself very privileged ;-)

I can't promise a specific time to you at this point so you might have to stay up late depending on what coast you're on.

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

I can't promise a specific time to you at this point so you might have to stay up late depending on what coast you're on.

Julian

Yes! I do feel privileged! I'll be staying up all night and counting down the minutes!! LOL!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Julian

Hi Julian.

Are there any differences between the Mutec MC3+ and Mutec MC3+ USB other that the USB functionality?

Is the clocking up to the same standard?

Thanks!

Looking forward to Thursday...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Hi Julian.

Are there any differences between the Mutec MC3+ and Mutec MC3+ USB other that the USB functionality?

Thanks!

Hey Mourip

I know this topic (comparison of MC3+ and MC3+USB on reclocking) has been talked about before on this thread.

The USB-type has better clocking than the non-USB type. The USB-type also has been technically redesigned which is why a non-USB cannot be upgraded to a USB-type.

Some who had the opportunity to compare said that one USB-type did better reclocking than a chain of 3 non-USB-types.

Cheers

Hi Julian.

Thanks!

Hi mourip,

As Aleg already mentioned the MC-3+USB is more than just an MC-3+ with an added USB board. It was a complete overhaul and I'd say that the gap is now becoming even bigger with the firmware update to be released.

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

Hi mourip,

As Aleg already mentioned the MC-3+USB is more than just an MC-3+ with an added USB board. It was a complete overhaul and I'd say that the gap is now becoming even bigger with the firmware update to be released.

Julian

Thanks Julian. I appreciate the clarification and look forward to updating my MC+3 USB this week. Combined with my Focusrite Rednet D16 it has given me the best sound I have every achieved in my system.

In fact I did not know that digital was hiding all this magic. I always thought that the digital format just had inherent limitations.

System

Hey Mourip

I know this topic (comparison of MC3+ and MC3+USB on reclocking) has been talked about before on this thread.

The USB-type has better clocking than the non-USB type. The USB-type also has been technically redesigned which is why a non-USB cannot be upgraded to a USB-type.

Some who had the opportunity to compare said that one USB-type did better reclocking than a chain of 3 non-USB-types.

Cheers

Thanks Aleg. Much appreciated. Rings a bell now!

System

Can't wait for the update. It's such a bonus when a firmware update can actually give any degree of sonic improvement. I am happy to say that I, just like many others, who thought the likes of the µrendu and Rednet would render the Mutec surplus to requirements, have been pleasantly surprised. It's capabilities have rather been magnified by the addition of the µrendu in my system. I guess reclocking a better incoming signal simply produces better music. Keep up the good work.

The V1.10 firmware update will be available for download on July 28th. No joke ;-)

Julian

Julian,

Looking forward to the new firmware download.

Since I am using a Mac and have no access to a Windows machine, will there be a simple way to upgrade the firmware?

Thanks,

- Thomas

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Julian,

Since I am using a Mac and have no access to a Windows machine, will there be a simple way to upgrade the firmware?

Thanks,

- Thomas

The update utility is a single file supplied with the Windows driver package and found when installed. There are three .bin files supplied with the update, depending on the version of your MC-3.

Two step process : Any previous version to 1.03. Then update from 1.03 to 1.10. If it falls over, there's a 1.10 to 1.03 .bin file.

Launch the MUTECUSBAudioDfu.exe in the default location C:\Program Files\MUTEC_Driver\MUTEC_USB_Audio_Driver\ folder.

So, not only do you need Windows, but the Mutec driver package to obtain the update utility. You know, this utility looks very much like the Grace Design DFU, and they have a MAC update utility. Worth a shot? The test would be to run the update software to obtain the version number of the existing firmware that would mean the computer and DDC are talking with each other.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Julian,

Thanks,

- Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately, there is no dedicated Mac utility at the moment, but it is in the works as we speak and I'm very much hoping that we'll be able to release it soon. I should have a more accurate for you in the next few days. I'm a Mac user myself so I understand the potential disappointment if you don't have any Windows machines around.

Thanks for your patience,

Julian

MUTEC GmbH

Marketing Associate

Email [email protected]

Web www.mutec-net.com

FIRMWARE update is live! Downloading now and will be updating in a few mins. Wish me luck!

Already a question...since I am on v 1.01 it looks like I need to first update to v 1.03 before I upgrade to v 1.10? Only one way to find out!

Other components:

UPDATE - SUCCESS!!! Upgrading from 1.01 to 1.03 to 1.10 took about 1 min. GREAT job Julian and Mutec team! Thank you! Now to settle in and see (hear) if there is any improvement.

@Julian, question about a new feature:

Fade-In/Fade-Out: A fade-in/fade-out has been implemented to minimize or entirely prevent clicks and pops when switching modes and functions on the front panel. Furthermore, a fade-in is executed after every new synchronization (e.g. when the sampling rate has been changed).

How is this fading being done in the Mutec? Curious if this will impact the sound at all, even if its just at the beginning of songs.

Other components:

Alright, after listening for about an hour I 'think' I detect a bit more smoothness to the sound, as if just a bit more noise was removed from the incoming signal. If there is any change, it is very subtle. I would be curious to hear what changes this firmware does to how the Mutec processes the incoming or outgoing signal.

Other components:

For version 1.10 it's kind of difficult at the moment, since I've been away for 3 weeks, so have to remember what was before. That's not that great for evaluation, but the sound has not deteriorated. Stage height and width much the same, and would agree about lowering the noise floor, as to how much...

The DSD-PCM-DSD detection works very nicely and is seamless maybe that's part of the fade in/out. The delays now occur with HQ player as it transits from one to the other mode, but I keep the output fs at either DSD128 or DSD256, bit undecided which one benefits. If there is a transition, the output to the DAC remains fixed and doesn't drop out. The DAC drops out only when HQPlayer is switched off.

Upgrade 1.01 -> 1.03, then 1.03 -> 1.10 with no problems. Documentation was spot on for process and procedures.

Sound of 1.10 : Overall sound has been improved upon - IMO

Most noticeable in mids and highs, but low end improvements are there too.

Lows are tighter and better defined.

Highs have less grunge/hardness.

Mids/Vocals are not as recessed sounding without becoming bright (too forward) with improved clarity.

Overall the upgrade process was easy and straight forward, and the results are excellent. Nice work Mutec.

PLEASE HELP!

I need some help installing the download. I normally do not use my computer as my source , I have a Bryston BDP-2 that my hardrives is connected to. its usb output then goes to the Mutec and then the Mutec outlet goes to my Dac.

So, I connected a usb cable from my computer to the Mutec. Set the Mutec input to usb.

Downloaded the windows 7 driver to my computer

Then I downloaded the update it went to my computer.

How do I get that file to the Mutec?

Sorry, I am old.

PLEASE HELP!

I need some help installing the download. I normally do not use my computer as my source , I have a Bryston BDP-2 that my hardrives is connected to. its usb output then goes to the Mutec and then the Mutec outlet goes to my Dac.

So, I connected a usb cable from my computer to the Mutec. Set the Mutec input to usb.

Downloaded the windows 7 driver to my computer

Then I downloaded the update it went to my computer.

How do I get that file to the Mutec?

Sorry, I am old.

The instructions supplied with the upgrade in a pdf are very good to upgrade, but understand a fine detail is easily skipped over and things can go downhill from there.

You would have downloaded the update files in a zip, as well as the Windows driver package. Take note which LEDs on the MC-3 are on, especially the green ones, the red and blue aren't important, since you can't program these.

- Have the USB cable from computer to MC-3 on standby, but don't connect as yet.

- Install the drivers first to your computer, it's a wizard and straight forward. At some point, the wizard may ask to connect to the MC-3, so do that.

- At the end of the wizard, I would restart the PC, and keep power on the MC-3.

- Power off the MC-3. Wait. Hold the front Menu button on and power up at the rear switch until the LEDS finish cascading <--- Important, then release the Menu button.

- Open windows Explorer, or whatever its name is in Windows 10. Drill down to this location :

C:\Program Files\MUTEC_Driver\MUTEC_USB_Audio_Driver\ and double click MUTECUSBAudioDfu.exe.

The window will gather information from the MC-3 and display a version number. For most of us it is 1.01.

- Find the update files, in the ZIP, there are three files in there. Extract all these into a known temp folder, by dragging is the easiest. go back to the update utility, If the version displayed in the grey box is 1.01, then BROWSE to the 1 01 102 to 103.bin file in the temporary folder and click go or OK or process, can't remember. Doesn't take long to update.

If no red marks, close the update utility.

- Then reopen the utility.

- This time BROWSE to the 103 to 110 .bin and update the MC-3. The utility will come back displaying the new version. When it does, close the update, switch off the MC-3 and re-connect to the Bryston as before.

- You will need to reconfigure the MC-3 to work with the Bryston as before, same settings.

Keep the impressions coming fellas. I was anticipating this dropping today, and didn't take into account the time difference. Unfortunately, I'm traveling for the weekend so can only get in on the fun next Monday night.

I got in some listening time on version 1.10 yesterday. The good news is that the same wonderful SQ is still there with no glitches or dropouts of any kind. In my system the changes were subtle. I believe that the background noise dropped a bit offering a little more fine detail. Dynamics improved a bit although they were already good. The upgrade process was very easy. Remember that when you have finished you need to reconfigure the Mutec to what you had before because during the upgrade you reset it to the factory defaults.

Keep in mind also that I have made a lot of changes in my system lately and am still getting used to a remarkable jump in SQ due to moving from USB to AOIP using a Focusrite Rednet D16 with my Mutec now serving as a re-clocker. I also now have an Antelope LiveClock providing external wordclock for both devices.

Thanks to Julian and Mutec for a stellar product and for participating here on CA...

System

The instructions supplied with the upgrade in a pdf are very good to upgrade, but understand a fine detail is easily skipped over and things can go downhill from there.

You would have downloaded the update files in a zip, as well as the Windows driver package. Take note which LEDs on the MC-3 are on, especially the green ones, the red and blue aren't important, since you can't program these.

- Have the USB cable from computer to MC-3 on standby, but don't connect as yet.

- Install the drivers first to your computer, it's a wizard and straight forward. At some point, the wizard may ask to connect to the MC-3, so do that.

- At the end of the wizard, I would restart the PC, and keep power on the MC-3.

- Power off the MC-3. Wait. Hold the front Menu button on and power up at the rear switch until the LEDS finish cascading <--- Important, then release the Menu button.

- Open windows Explorer, or whatever its name is in Windows 10. Drill down to this location :

C:\Program Files\MUTEC_Driver\MUTEC_USB_Audio_Driver\ and double click MUTECUSBAudioDfu.exe.

The window will gather information from the MC-3 and display a version number. For most of us it is 1.01.

- Find the update files, in the ZIP, there are three files in there. Extract all these into a known temp folder, by dragging is the easiest. go back to the update utility, If the version displayed in the grey box is 1.01, then BROWSE to the 1 01 102 to 103.bin file in the temporary folder and click go or OK or process, can't remember. Doesn't take long to update.

If no red marks, close the update utility.

- Then reopen the utility.

- This time BROWSE to the 103 to 110 .bin and update the MC-3. The utility will come back displaying the new version. When it does, close the update, switch off the MC-3 and re-connect to the Bryston as before.

- You will need to reconfigure the MC-3 to work with the Bryston as before, same settings.

Thanks for the help, but there seems to be several steps missing. I still have Windows 7.

But, I have successfully downloaded the Mutec Driver to my PC.

The Revision says V1.01

Driver info 3.30.

Is this correct for the update?