IGNORED

Light Harmonic Geek DAC

Yes, I have heard that as well... Although I have not seen confirmation yet from LH. In any case, I suspect the GEEK will run the ESS with synchronous clocking (which essentially disables the ASRC and DPLL), and perhaps even with the first 8x OSF turned off. If so, it will be a relatively unique implementation of a Sabre DAC chip...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I wish they would have their own forum. Facebook is difficult to follow a thread. Messages disappear etc. I looked on their FB page earlier and couldn't find anything.

I think Wavelength runs the ESS DAC synchronously. Not sure about the OSF though.

Yes, Wavelength Audio and Ayre run the ESS Sabre DAC in synchronous mode. Ayre turns off the 8x OSF as well, and instead runs their own 16x oversampling filter. I do not know what Wavelength does with the OSF.

A number of DIY folks also run the ESS in synchronous mode... I sure prefer it this way, but one does need to take care that the I2S source and masterclock(s) are very low jitter when running synchronously, as the DAC itself will not be reducing the incoming jitter.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I'm curious about the differences between ESS9018 reference version and the 2 channel mobile version? Also, I think Ayre uses the 9016 and so does Mytek? Are the differences between the 9016 and 9018 features or is there an audible difference?

Some differences:

9018 ref, 8 channel DAC, in stereo config (4 DACs per channel): DNR: 133, THD: -120

9018M, 2 channel only, DNR: 127, THD: -120

9016, 2 channel only, DNR: 128, THD: -110

The 9018 ref is considerably more expensive, the 9018M I would guess requires less power to run as the 9018 ref is a bit of a power hog and would not be acceptable for mobile use because of that. The 9018 ref also requires some really heroic power supplies to get it to perform its best.

I do not know if the feature sets are different amongst these, but Google each part and will will be able to get any info you might like. They all feature the "Hyperstream" modulator. I suspect in near perfect implementations the differences might be audible... Noise/THD are cumulative in systems as well, so there are probably advantages of using the best part for the best systems.

SONORE computer audio

Some other updates:

fb_profile_picture.small.jpg?1341846035

Larry Ho about 12 hours ago

Hi, all

Here is the key details of circuit upgrade.

1) Change the DAC chip to ES9018M.

2) Change to one of the smallest/greatest relays to switch in/out the 3D awesomifier.

3) Relocate IV conversion resistors for even better noise performance

4) Enlarge the capacitance for 5V USB input, result: Even crazier and solid base there

5) Enhance and optimize the DAC IC power supplies. (analog and digital route separated)

Enjoy!

Larry

The new Geek setup taken from video update #19:

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Wow! Thanks for the update Larry. It's great to see your development process play out - the care you are taking will definitely pay off. Can't wait... Will you post some updates on the AR test results in the new configuration vs. the old TI implementation? ;)

I've had this question going on in my mind for a while Larry if you could comment:

For someone who wants to run the Geek into a home stereo - let's say a Pass INT30 Class A integrated amplifier - what is the best model to get? I'd think you'd want no digital volume attenuation and maybe a 2V output so I'm thinking the standard model would be the best choice. Is there any reason to go with the Super or Super Duper for a home stereo? What do you guys use into your Pass gear?

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

. Is there any reason to go with the Super or Super Duper for a home stereo? What do you guys use into your Pass gear?
I went with the principle "the more, the better" so I ordered The SuperDuper. I intend to use it both at my office connected to a PC and connected to a Android device. I may buy a real high end head phone later. But I don't have, yet. So maybe I am thinking wrong here? Apart from money (no big deal, since it is spent on electronics :-) ) is there a disadvantage to the SuperDuper? Too much power or something like that. The imponator effect is not to be dismissed lightly.

Yes, but some DACs such as they Mytek run it a bit more than 2V.

Not sure if the Super Geek would be better to run into Pass. That is how Light Harmonic is testing them, so I was hoping to confirm what they are using.

what is the best model to get? I'd think you'd want no digital volume attenuation and maybe a 2V output so I'm thinking the standard model would be the best choice. Is there any reason to go with the Super or Super Duper for a home stereo

The regular Geek has a 2 volt output at full volume.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Yes, but some DACs such as they Mytek run it a bit more than 2V.

Not sure if the Super Geek would be better to run into Pass. That is how Light Harmonic is testing them, so I was hoping to confirm what they are using.

I'm building a First Watt F5 that needs more than 2V input for good volume on some speakers. Not sure how well a regular Geek will work. I will only use headphones on occasion.

interesting.......

Sort of a backwards Schiit........

Oh my... HAHAHA

No disrespect intended, just being a smart arse. I am glad to see two powerhouses of design offering affordable products.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

does it need driver for macs??

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

No driver needed for OS X.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

They have also started a campaign for a desk-top version that has stereo out and a separate power-in that could be used with LPS or battery.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-pulse-a-digital-audio-awesomifier-for-your-desktop/x/4273304

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

The icing on the cake would be if this would work with Chromebooks. Some DACs like those from FiiO work by just plugging it in. My understanding is the Geek Out will work with computers that have native support for USB 2.0, but I don't know how that relates to Chrome OS. I don't really want a Windows laptop and a Macbook Air would be overkill for my needs.

I was disappointed that the desktop version is not balanced in design....hopefully that will change

I will try to include balance design (maybe) in a different configuration. I like balance design as well.

Only one issue for me: Where to find the space in front panel for the balance connectors... any good idea? ;-)

---

Engineer, programmer, entrepreneur and music lover

Light Harmonic Labs

http://www.Lightharmonic.com

http://www.facebook.com/LightHarmonic

I will try to include balance design (maybe) in a different configuration. I like balance design as well.

Only one issue for me: Where to find the space in front panel for the balance connectors... any good idea? ;-)

Hello,

You mean on a different configuration of the same GEEK PULSE? or a different product altogether?

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

Larry,

I like balanced outputs also. The connector issue can be addressed with many smaller connectors than XLR. The mini-XLR used in the Streamer, 3 pin locking DIN used by Naim and DMN, and the 1/4" TRS used by most pro equipment all are much smaller footprint.

One sweet advantage of TRS is if a TR plug is used it becomes a single ended output. A buffer resistor in the negative leg limits the current from the output devices.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.