IGNORED

Light Harmonic Geek DAC

A new balanced version of the Pulse is now also being offered

What is Geek Pulse X?

(top)

Geek Pulse X is a balanced version of Geek Pulse. The differences between the two on the outside are easy to spot. On the front panel, instead of a standard 1/4” stereo headphone jack, you’ll find a 4-pin balanced output. On the back panel, you’ll find two XLR outputs, one AES digital input, one RCA digital input, and one TOSLINK input. But these external differences only scratch the surface of the design change inside.

In order to accomplish a true balanced design, we have to nearly double the internal components, including the DAC IC and the analog signal amplifiers. This means that Geek Pulse X uses a dual mono (sometimes called “mono-mono") design. There are other internal component upgrades as well. Geek Pulse X will employ Nichicon Muse capacitors in the decoupling stage, and the analog stage will feature a dual mono, high-bias class A module with high-precision, non inductive Caddock resistors. This is all geek-speak for “this sucker’s bad to the bone.”

Should I Choose Geek Pulse or Geek Pulse X?

Well, my friend, that’s up to you. But here’s what I’d consider:

• Do you have balanced headphones?
  • Do you prefer to interconnect your components with balanced cables?
  • Do you like AES better than SPDIF to connect your digital components to your DAC?

We anticipate offering Geek Pulse X at an MSRP of $699, with first shipments beginning in May 2013.

($489.00 through their indiegogo campaign)

balanced_outputs.png

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

• 3 months later...

The first GeekOuts ship today. It sounds like it will follow the order of when you backed the project. $99 backers will be first to receive them, $119 mid March then the rest at the end of the month.

Who got in at the $99 level?

• February 28 - 100 units
  • by March 14 - 200 more units
  • by March 28 - 1700 more units

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

The first GeekOuts ship today. It sounds like it will follow the order of when you backed the project. $99 backers will be first to receive them, $119 mid March then the rest at the end of the month.

Who got in at the $99 level?

• February 28 - 100 units
  • by March 14 - 200 more units
  • by March 28 - 1700 more units

Have seen reports on the Geek Temple the early backers started receiving their units this week. I got in at the $139 level, so guess I'm still looking at the end of March, if not later :/

Can't beat that price for a 32/384-capable DAC with DSD support and a powerful headphone amplifier, though, so guess I'll wait ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Posting some updates Larry made in the GF Forum:

[TABLE=class: kmsg, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: kprofile-top]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: kmessage-top]You are right. I should post a good progress last week.

So here is it.

* Geek Blue: Audio output quality is nice. But output voltage is not high enough, so we will keep fine tuning the output stage. Re-clock of digital output stage by our LH technology will be there by the end of this month.

* Geek Pulse: EP2 board will come in soon. And we will test another round of OpAmps in analog stage.

Now, my preference is

* Top 1: OP1612 + LME49710

* Top 2: Muse02 + LME49710

* Top 3: Muse01 + OP1612

And I found no matter what, JFET input combined with BJT input OpAmp seems always could deliver more balance sound. And we will keep going on in this journey on EP2 board since analog path has changed a little.

* Geek Pulse X/S: We found some issues with balance configuration. Still working on it. It's NOT easy to make it right.

Can you believe that, we still don't have quite enough PCB estate for balance version DAC. And I don't want to put components on the back side......

* Windows Driver and DFU testing went nicely. So now have a formal 'universal' Windows Driver for Geek Out/Pulse and Da Vinci.

* Geek LPS4/LPS: Will start heat testing and noise test again when the new PCB come in. That should be in 3rd week this month.

-- silly.png so many updates here ---

* LS JR./2G USB cable. ---> Tooling is on going. And we are making the final adjustment of marketing related technical specs.

Enjoy![/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

And this:

[h=2]Products for 2014

20 minutes ago

[/h][TABLE=class: kmsg, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: kprofile-top]

[*=right]
  • Larry Ho
  • rankmod.gif

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: kmessage-top]We will have a whole suite of Geek series in analog domain. Including Int. Amp, Phono stage and so on.

Also, another DAC project that specific focus on mobile device market.

Sire should be there in Q2 ~ early Q3. Our final statement of what is the state-of-the-art DAC.

Cheers,

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: kbuttonbar-top]2014 projects begin![/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 1 month later...

In particular for any XXHighEnd users here at CA: I'd ordered a Geek Out thinking it would take advantage of XXHighEnd's oversampling capabilities to a greater degree than my Dragonfly. But early responses from the LH folks made it sound as if the preferred mode for XXHE, Windows Kernel Streaming, would not be available from the Geek Out's Windows driver(s). Well I hooked up the Geek Out to my Windows desktop last night, installed the 64-bit Windows driver, and a pleasant surprise! - kernel streaming mode is available from the Geek Out. Nice. I've also had it hooked up to the main rig playing from my MacBook Pro with Audirvana Plus. Handles all sample rates (I have some 352.8 source material) and DSD without any problem. Not on the level of the Semi-Customized DAC, but sounds very good.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi Jud!

So you compared it to your semi-customized DSD only DAC? You mentioned that it was not quite on the same level vs. your semi-customized DAC. Does that mean DSD vs. DSD? or with PCM to DSD conversion vs. PCM? Does your DAC do DSD128? And finally any comments on up sampling with the Geek? Thanks!

How does it sound compared to the DragonFly?

In particular for any XXHighEnd users here at CA: I'd ordered a Geek Out thinking it would take advantage of XXHighEnd's oversampling capabilities to a greater degree than my Dragonfly. But early responses from the LH folks made it sound as if the preferred mode for XXHE, Windows Kernel Streaming, would not be available from the Geek Out's Windows driver(s). Well I hooked up the Geek Out to my Windows desktop last night, installed the 64-bit Windows driver, and a pleasant surprise! - kernel streaming mode is available from the Geek Out. Nice. I've also had it hooked up to the main rig playing from my MacBook Pro with Audirvana Plus. Handles all sample rates (I have some 352.8 source material) and DSD without any problem. Not on the level of the Semi-Customized DAC, but sounds very good.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Hi Jud!

So you compared it to your semi-customized DSD only DAC? You mentioned that it was not quite on the same level vs. your semi-cusomized DAC. Does that mean DSD vs. DSD? or with PCM to DSD conversion vs. PCM? Does you DAC do DSD128? And finally any comments on up sampling with the Geek? Thanks!

How does it sound compared to the DragonFly?

Hi Junker. Actually, the Semi-Customized DAC does both PCM and DSD. And yes, it does DSD128 as well as DSD64. With PCM it takes up to 384k input so I can avoid the initial interpolation filtering.

The Geek has handled all upsampling flawlessly.

Re the sound vs. the Dragonfly - haven't listened to it in the office system (where the Dragonfly has been) enough yet to have a good idea of the answer.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I got my 720mA Geek Out Saturday. I've been listening all weekend and am *very* pleased with the purchase. I earlier had a Concero HP, which was not able to maintain > 192k sample rates *or* reliably play DSD; however, the Geek Out plays all sample rates (up to 2xDSD) beautifully.

Sound is great (much better than my v1 Dragonfly and a a good bit better than my Meridian Explorer) and it powers all my headphones (with one exception) quite well.

EXCEPTION: Though it powers my HiFiMan HE-500s quite well, I was hoping for a bit more volume at full output. Don't get me wrong, it's still more powerful than any other DAC / amp I have, but I was hoping for a bit more - guess the HE-500s need even more than 720mA to reach full volume :/

Can't wait to hear the Pulse / PulseX when they come out - if they sound anything like the Geek Out (s/b better), there will be a lot of happy campers out there.

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I got my 720mA Geek Out Saturday. I've been listening all weekend and am *very* pleased with the purchase. I earlier had a Concero HP, which was not able to maintain > 192k sample rates *or* reliably play DSD; however, the Geek Out plays all sample rates (up to 2xDSD) beautifully.

Sound is great (much better than my v1 Dragonfly and a a good bit better than my Meridian Explorer) and it powers all my headphones (with one exception) quite well.

Thanks, that is a good input to me because I was not happy with both with the Dragon and the Explorer...

I will have the out 450, hope the SQ is basically the same as you report but, understandably, with less drive....

Will have to partner with efficient phones...

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, that is a good input to me because I was not happy with both with the Dragon and the Explorer...

I will have the out 450, hope the SQ is basically the same as you report but, understandably, with less drive....

Will have to partner with efficient phones...

FWIW, the GO450 has more than ample power for Sennheiser HD 800.

Unless you've got some absurdly power-hungry planars like the HE-6, I think you'll be good to go.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

• 4 months later...

UPDATE: LH Labs has just added firmware 1.5 to their website

Topic: Geek Out Firmware 1V5 Upgrades and Change log (1/3) - Geek Temple - LH Labs

A number of improvements, including (direct from Larry Ho's change log):

1) New Volume Mechanism (different then Beta)

Geek Out’s internal 64 bit volume control mechanism replace the computer's own volume calculation like before. But we disable the Volume buttons on Geek Out and change it to "mode control".

When you change the computer volume setting, the button’s setting will be KEPT there on both Mac and Windows. Some Windows version (like version 8.1), you need to use individual analog channel volume settings to control, but it should be memorized by your computer system.

Bonus: While making our 64 bit digital volume control works better with computer volume settings, We tweak the internal algorithm even better. So some of you already reported the sound quality improvement.

2) New Master and Individual Channel Volume features:

To keep the bit perfect as long as possible. Although I still leave the master volume and individual channel volume control there. But the behavior is slightly different.

When you set MASTER volume to MAX. (-0dbFS), you could adjust the left and right channel to adjust the BALANCE. And keep the other channel Bit Perfect… This is GREAT for the people who use Geek Out as Line Out and want to have Balance feature

If Master volume is not set to Max, then mater volume’s setting will be applied to both channels.

3) DSD play back loading is reduced more than 30% in firmware part. Resulting a even more smooth and silky DSD playback. Again, this is a FREE upgrade for all Geek out users.

4) Optimized the 3L buffer inside the code for Bit Perfect situation. Most of Beta users reported a detectable sound quality improving.

5) Most important change -- Introducing the TCM and FRM.

Now with the new 1V5 firmware, your Geek Out has a feature that could change the mode of digital filter and related PLL/ Frequency domain - time domain optimization. One mode we call it "Time Coherent Mode" (TCM), the other mode we call it "Frequency Response Mode" (FRM).... And we assigned the original "Volume up" buttons for TCM and "Volume Down" for FRM. The sound characters demonstrated are quite amazing. In TCM, we involved the new developed Minimum phase digital filter which creates no "pre-ring". In FRM, we involved slow roll-off linear digital filter with other frequency domain optimization so you could even see a nice THD+N improvement there.

All I can say is it sounds even better :) I love the fact they've now bypassed the built-in ESS filters and added custom minimum vs. linear filters on such a small device.

With both the iFi Micro iDSD and the Geek Out 720 in the house, I'm really spoiled for choice, and I love it!

• 1 month later...
Sorry to jump in here, but which of the 2 DACs do you prefer soundwise?

Sorry, didn't see this until just now.

I'm very pleased with both devices.

The 720 has a really colorful, warm sound that is very pleasant to listen to. Truly, the only reason I also got the Micro is the more powerful headphone amp - most of my listening is via my HiFiMan HE-500 headphones, which really need a powerful amplifier. The 720 has a great sound, but it only puts out 720mA into the headphone amp, while the Micro (in Turbo mode, if needed) goes up to 4,000mA.

Right now, I'm using the 720 as a DAC (in line out mode) from my Mac Mini to my receiver / amp, so that great sound is preserved and there is no problem with the output level. The Micro plugs into my MacBook Pro and is my primary headphone DAC / amplifier.

BTW, the sound of the Micro is great, as well, but I'd say it is more "neutral" than the 720; i.e., what you have is what you'll hear, which is great for "reference"-type listening.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...