IGNORED

OPPO 103/105 Does Stereo/Multi-Channel DSD!

Does anybody know DLNA client that can work as DMC so that I can stream DSF/DFF files in my NAS to OPPO as DMR?

I tried the latest Minimserver (ver.0.72) but it does not seem to work with the newest OPPO firmware. Same results for both ReadyNAS and Win7x64... same results for Skifta and PlugPlayer. Skifta results attached.

image.png

Does anybody know DLNA client that can work as DMC so that I can stream DSF/DFF files in my NAS to OPPO as DMR?

I tried the latest Minimserver (ver.0.72) but it does not seem to work with the newest OPPO firmware. Same results for both ReadyNAS and Win7x64... same results for Skifta and PlugPlayer. Skifta results attached.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5496[/ATTACH]

I Meant UPnP server, not DLNA client.

^ Well you are one step ahead of Holzor..> I don't think he could even open up the files....

About to have a go myself shortly...

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^ Well you are one step ahead of Holzor..> I don't think he could even open up the files....

Hmmm? Where could masayk open up his DSD-files? I tried it with Kinsky and BubbleUPnP. You see the DSD files but get an error message trying to play them. No matter what DMC you are using.

@masayk. I was trying foobar as an UPnP server. The Oppo played the files when marked as 16bit files (and adjusted on 2.8224Mhz) in the foobar streaming settings. Well I guess foobar converted them to 88,2kHz (my DAC was showing this) before streaming concerning the network traffic. The strange thing was when I adjusted 24bit in the settings, the Oppo recognized the DSD-files again as "APE" format and rejected to play them.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

The problem is not the DMC software. The problem is the DMR (The Oppo) which does not accept DSD being pushed to it. It only works with FLAC and WAV.

For DSD playback, you have to look for the files from the Oppo through SMB. Hopefully, Oppo will allow DSD being pushed to it from the DMC or add support for DoP-E. Some server software support DoP-E including JRiver

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

^ So can the OP'r change the original title of this thread please:

"OPPO 103/105 Does Stereo/Multi-Channel DSD!" (Actually no it doesn't. Well not properly anyway)....."

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

"I have a dream"

A dream of total disc less music playback. A dream where *All* my music is stored in the one library. In the one place. On a simple little NAS. Running on virtually no power 24/7. Where I can create tags to sort it under file type. Any File type. Or any format. Stereo or multichannel. PCM or DSD. 16 bit or 24 bit. 1 or 2x DSD. And then push that file to the appropriate player. *Every* file. Anywhere in my house.

"I have a dream"

:)

^ hahaha

Please elaborate.

You must be the Messiah.

Show me how!

....No wait. Two Messiahs'

hahaha :)

And low. He cometh upon the solution. Beyond the horizon. There was a little piece of beautiful software. Running on a one disc NAS. On candle power. And he sayeth I have seen the light. I can put all my files on this tiny NAS and tag everyone of them the way I want. And I can thus, I can find these files in a flash. Then stream everyone of these files to the Oppo. Including DSD multichannel. With no gaps. And he cometh for knowledge to the great computeraudiofile. And he ask. Lord. How do I do this? And the lord says we giveth the hardware. But he taketh away the software ability.....

:)

Hmmm? Where could masayk open up his DSD-files? I tried it with Kinsky and BubbleUPnP. You see the DSD files but get an error message trying to play them. No matter what DMC you are using.

@masayk. I was trying foobar as an UPnP server. The Oppo played the files when marked as 16bit files (and adjusted on 2.8224Mhz) in the foobar streaming settings. Well I guess foobar converted them to 88,2kHz (my DAC was showing this) before streaming concerning the network traffic. The strange thing was when I adjusted 24bit in the settings, the Oppo recognized the DSD-files again as "APE" format and rejected to play them.

I opened up from NEC ReadyNAS and it failed. I then opened up from Win7x64 and it failed. Upon your suggestions above I tried opening up from foobar2000/Win7x64 with 2.8224MHz/16bit settings then OPPO started playing but only with 44.1kHz. I randomly changed foobar settings only ended up in foobar crashing.

Holzohr - you are right that no matter what DMC I am using the results remains the same.

Do Not Know Why...

image.jpg

It's a work in progress.

For stereo files (MP3, FLAC, DSF) I use Jriver>USB>Benchmark DAC2 with Jremote controlling Jriver from an Ipod Touch.

For 5.1 files (FLAC, DSF) I use Foobar>HDMI>Oppo 103 with AppleRemote controlling Foobar from the Ipod. Foobar converts 5.1 DSD to 5.1 24/88 PCM.

I have played native 5.1 DSD from a USB drive plugged into the Oppo. It does sound a bit better than the Foobar/PCM/HDMI approach, but I hate the Oppo's menu and screen navigation. So for 5.1 files I favor the Foobar system's ease of navigation over playing the DSD files directly from the Oppo.

Once the bugs get worked out around native DSD 5.1 over USB or HDMI, I'll take the next step. But for now I'm good.

Russ

It's a work in progress.

For stereo files (MP3, FLAC, DSF) I use Jriver>USB>Benchmark DAC2 with Jremote controlling Jriver from an Ipod Touch.

For 5.1 files (FLAC, DSF) I use Foobar>HDMI>Oppo 103 with AppleRemote controlling Foobar from the Ipod. Foobar converts 5.1 DSD to 5.1 24/88 PCM.

I have played native 5.1 DSD from a USB drive plugged into the Oppo. It does sound a bit better than the Foobar/PCM/HDMI approach, but I hate the Oppo's menu and screen navigation. So for 5.1 files I favor the Foobar system's ease of navigation over playing the DSD files directly from the Oppo.

Once the bugs get worked out around native DSD 5.1 over USB or HDMI, I'll take the next step. But for now I'm good.

Russ

Russ - much appreciated! I was able to play back 5.1 DSD by converting DSD into PCM in foobar ASIO Driver Mode. I agree that this may be the best way to get away with Oppo navigation and yet playback DSD library stored in NAS. When I set DSD in foobar ASIO Driver Mode then foobar seems to be working (with DSD64 indication) but no sound from Oppo. Curious if there is a way to have Oppo DSD-PCM conversion...

- masayk

-masayk

^Gang. Why would you settle for PCM conversion?

This is the equivalent of playing an SACD with the setting to PCM out via HDMI..

Why would you do this when the player is perfectly capable of pure DSD?

Well one thing is for sure. It does a heck of a lot more than the Teac UD-501.... So it all depends on what you are purchasing it for..

Upon your suggestions above I tried opening up from foobar2000/Win7x64 with 2.8224MHz/16bit settings then OPPO started playing but only with 44.1kHz.

masayk... how did you connect your foobar-pc to the Oppo? Via HDMI? I was trying the streaming via network. Not sure about your 44,1kHz. I guess you had selected A/V split in the Oppo settings? The HDMI-Outputs (maybe the Inputs too?) are limited to 44,1 and 48kHz in Dual Display mode and/or as long as there is a "tv"-device activated at the other side of HDMI cable.

I use this VC880 - HDMI Repeater Plus Audio De-embedder to get out the Hi-Res PCM (BD, DVD-A, SACD) from HDMI2-Output (A/V split mode).

I will try your way with my netbook, maybe on weekend.

Same here, I hate the screen navigation through the Oppo`s menu and SMB, too. Though it is the best way for me at the moment. The Oppo accepts the CUE-sheets, so I have gapless and the songs are in the right order.

Why would you settle for PCM conversion?

This is the equivalent of playing an SACD with the setting to PCM out via HDMI..

Oppo`s HDMI Inputs don`t support DSD. Only the HDMI2 Output does support it. So I guess, foobar, jriver must convert the DSD files into PCM. Playing them natively, you will have no sound from the Oppo. The only way to play DSD files natively is via USB drive or SMB at the moment.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Oppo`s HDMI Inputs don`t support DSD. Only the HDMI2 Output does support it. So I guess, foobar, jriver must convert the DSD files into PCM. Playing them natively, you will have no sound from the Oppo. The only way to play DSD files natively is via USB drive or SMB at the moment.

After series of attempts I concluded the same way - there is no way to push DSD stream to OPPO no matter what types of UPnP server, either via HDMI or via LAN. MinimServer did not work, JRMC did not work, and Foobar needs PCM conversion.

So I stop here, giving up the idea of using my iPad for DSD playback navigation for Oppo (without Oppo screen navigation on my TV). Yes I could still playback DFF/DSF multichannel files without screen by some DMC (such as Skifta on iPad) controlling foobar on my PC, but again with PCM conversion... wait for the next Oppo firmware update.

masayk

masayk... how did you connect your foobar-pc to the Oppo? Via HDMI? I was trying the streaming via network. Not sure about your 44,1kHz. I guess you had selected A/V split in the Oppo settings? The HDMI-Outputs (maybe the Inputs too?) are limited to 44,1 and 48kHz in Dual Display mode and/or as long as there is a "tv"-device activated at the other side of HDMI cable.

Yes via HDMI. I was hoping that OPPO could accept DSD bitstream from foobar-pc. It did not.

Then I tried foobar/Upnp solution via network and got strange 44.1kHz even though I selected HDMI2 and A/V split. Strange that when setting 88.2kHz (instead of 2.8224MHz) and 16bit then I get 88.2kHz, not 44.1kHz...

masayk

^Gang. Why would you settle for PCM conversion?

It's a trade-off of convenience vs. sound quality. If I could stream native 5.1 DSD via HDMI from Foobar to the Oppo, I would. The next best thing is Foobar converting 5.1 DSD to PCM.

Playing native 5.1 DSD through the Oppo from a USB drive does sound better, but it's not a night and day difference. My system is audio only, so having to hook up a screen and navigate through menus to play files through the Oppo is a PITA.

Using an IOS app to control Foobar is so much easier, that I'll take that over Oppo DSD playback any day, despite the moderate loss in sound quality.

Now if Oppo can deliver a long hope for media playback IOS app that allows menu navigation without connecting a monitor, that might make DSD/Oppo playback a viable option for me. Until then, I'm good.

Russ

^ So can the OP'r change the original title of this thread please:

"OPPO 103/105 Does Stereo/Multi-Channel DSD!" (Actually no it doesn't. Well not properly anyway)....."

How about "Oppo 103/105 does Stereo/Multi-Channel DSD! (as, erm, PCM)"?

That's what you get for living on the bleeding edge of progress Wap!

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

^ hahahaha LOL Bleed..

Like the same ol speel we saw when the first HDMI capable SACD transports were released...

hahaha

My system is audio only, so having to hook up a screen and navigate through menus to play files through the Oppo is a PITA.

Using an IOS app to control Foobar is so much easier, that I'll take that over Oppo DSD playback any day, despite the moderate loss in sound quality.

...and something like MinimServer is even easier again!! Precisely. You are correct. It's why Oppo needs to sort this and fix this bug in the next firmware.

So I guess, foobar, jriver must convert the DSD files into PCM. Playing them natively, you will have no sound from the Oppo. The only way to play DSD files natively is via USB drive or SMB at the moment.

Gang. Gang. We should not have to accept this nonsense from Oppo. forget HDMI. Go back and look at the history of HDMI add ons to quality SACD transports years ago. The quality ones kept their analog outputs for the precise reason that HDMI was not acceptable and also involved PCM conversion. The fact is the 105 has a DAC that is perfectly capable of playback of native DSD. It also has 7.1 Analog out. It is also supposed to support UPnP! So Oppo should be made to fix this. They are advertising it with UPnP capability. Gang you have to understand you will not get the best sound out of this player unless you use the DAC in it's best format..>outputting to those analog outputs... That's what a DAC is. It's a Digital to Analog converter... :)