IGNORED

OPPO 103/105 Does Stereo/Multi-Channel DSD!

SMB is new to me. Can someone point me to a resource that explains how this works so I can set it up on my 103?

Russ

Isn't smb akin to a network shared drive in Windows albeit from the unix side? I guess the oppo allows you access the dsd files from a network drive over Ethernet.

As I had highlighted earlier, the prospect of eventually turning the OPPO into a standalone DSD DAC via its USB input may put DSD bit streaming onto the bigger roadmap. This is with no additional outlay for existing owners (much bigger install base) to purchase another separate DSD DAC to play the files. Let's not forget that the OPPO's USB DAC capability and sound quality is very respectable with the Sabre 9018 DAC chip performing decoding duties. And on the networking side, you won't even need a computer to play the files as you can easily play them off OPPO's Remote App streamed from your NAS or server!

Valenroy, speculation aside....are you confirming that the Oppo remote app will see and browse the USB thumb drives for DSD files on the Oppo 103/105? This confirmation is a step forward (in my three tenants :) ).

And on the networking side, you won't even need a computer to play the files as you can easily play them off OPPO's Remote App streamed from your NAS or server!

If/when Oppo develops an IOS or Android remote app that works like apple remote (show embedded metadata & cover art, browse by categories, build playlists, etc.) it will be a big step forward for playing files from attached drives.

The present Oppo app simply replicates the functions of the IR remote control.

Russ

Food for thought.....I played a SACD DSD rip of Patricia Barbers (an bit of a heroin in audiophile circles) "Verse" (out of print - selling for $150 on eBay) in native DSD (DoP) yesterday, and then a plain old rip of her CD "Mythologies". The CD sounded better.

Bottom line: Recording quality trumps format any day of the week, and the differences between well recorded 44/16 and DSD on state of the art hardware are minimal.

My prediction (and hope): Hardware will get better to the point where 44/16 becomes totally musically satifying at a realistic pricepoint, and differences between 44/16 and high rez will become marginal. The frenzy about format will go away and we can all just go back to enjoying music.....

Shoot me....

Erik, why are you soooo allergic to these DSD discussions. It isn't better, it's just a huge find...like finding a garage full of original art. DSD allow us to listen to about 4000 master tapes (2500 DSD recorded, 1500 analog-to-DSD mastered) that previously were only available via mainly AVRs and $200 universal players. Yes, the rest (4000 more) are debatable...and yes, Radiohead via the telephone is better than Justin Bieber on SACD.

By the way, I love my DSD rip of Verse. If I Were Blue is a demo cut. But your point is well taken...Mythologies is a better recording. Frankly, much of PB's catalog is 24/96 recorded, and even Premonition Label's own download service missed the mark hugely. They have the original 24/96 tapes of Companion, even mentioned it on the download site, and instead released them as DSD downloads. ???? Hello!?

Erik, why are you soooo allergic to these DSD discussions. It isn't better, it's just a huge find...like finding a garage full of original art. DSD allow us to listen to about 4000 master tapes (2500 DSD recorded, 1500 analog-to-DSD mastered) that previously were only available via mainly AVRs and $200 universal players. Yes, the rest (4000 more) are debatable...and yes, Radiohead via the telephone is better than Justin Bieber on SACD.

By the way, I love my DSD rip of Verse. If I Were Blue is a demo cut. But your point is well taken...Mythologies is a better recording. Frankly, much of PB's catalog is 24/96 recorded, and even Premonition Label's own download service missed the mark hugely. They have the original 24/96 tapes of Companion, even mentioned it on the download site, and instead released them as DSD downloads. ???? Hello!?

Ted, just stirring the pot a little bit. Also trying to instill some common sense into the debate. Oppo DSD enablement is a case in point. Oppo has been playing native DSD for 5 years dating three models back (spinning disc that is). Now you can actually rip that same SACD on a PS3 and play it back from a PC and this is somehow a breakthrough feature??? I have nothing against DSD (and hope it will succeed), and applaud breakers of new ground like like yourself. However, I am genuinly baffled by the interest it is attracting in the absense of a meaninful supply of content.

Ted, just stirring the pot a little bit. Also trying to instill some common sense into the debate. Oppo DSD enablement is a case in point. Oppo has been playing native DSD for 5 years dating three models back (spinning disc that is). Now you can actually rip that same SACD on a PS3 and play it back from a PC and this is somehow a breakthrough feature??? I have nothing against DSD (and hope it will succeed), and applaud breakers of new ground like like yourself. However, I am genuinly baffled by the interest it is attracting in the absense of a meaninful supply of content.

The interest is like those that find a hybrid car saves the money, mines costing me a small fortune.anyway...Trouble is the majority of people do not own a older PS3 to rip their SACD's ( I 'don't) and people forget there are others out there apart from this one forum whom happen to like getting into DSD while enjoying the other attributes offered by this universal player.

The Truth Is Out There

I can see how there is a definite "have" vs "have not" divide when it comes to DSD. I'm fortunate to be in the "have" category because I spent a lot of money building a SACD collection when they were available and I was able to get them all ripped. For someone without a DSD file inventory like that, I would think interest in DSD is limited given what's currently available.

My Benchmark DAC2 does not play double DSD or DXD. I'm sure these formats sound great, but due to limited content, I'm not interested. The DAC2 does play DSD and I have over 500 reasons to enjoy that feature.

Russ

How does one set up the Oppo for SMB shares?
The setup is in the computer. On PC, one enables guest access and sets the "Music" folder (or whatever you call it) to be shared. Then, select the SMB server on the Oppo "Network" page and log on (no password needed unless you really want that). You should see all the files in that folder, including DSF and DFF.

Is this just for 103/5 or for 93/5? My 93 doesn't seem to support SMB (Not sure though).
Probably. I have no tried the 93/95.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Valenroy, speculation aside....are you confirming that the Oppo remote app will see and browse the USB thumb drives for DSD files on the Oppo 103/105? This confirmation is a step forward (in my three tenants :) ).

The current Iphone app is a HUGE disappointment in my book since it only duplicated the IR remote. Frankly, I'm not sure why they bothered writing it if this is all that they planned for. Although if they do plan to give us a remote app with navigational functionality, that would be exceptionally cool.

Ted, regarding the navigational remote app, that is merely speculation at the moment but if you know OPPO well enough, bug them long enough and the feature materializes just like the support for DSD files for example. It is good news indeed that network browsing/playing of DSD is possible at this very moment!

Perhaps the other reason why I got excited with this newfound support for DSD through the USB storage facility is the independence from the computer for native playback. Think about how the Resonessense Lab Invicta incorporated the SDXC card interface to negate the need of a PC. This basically threw heated discussions such as computer borne noise; software players; system os; USB/FireWire cables, etc right out of the window. You get the shortest, cleanest signal path between the storage device and the DAC! Talk about bring a purist!

Here’s an update on playing multi-channel DSD files on my Oppo BDP-103.

My current setup for playing multi-channel DSD (and FLAC) files uses Foobar to play and convert the files to 24/88 PCM, then send them to the BDP-103 via HDMI. With Apple Remote/Ipod Touch control over Foobar, I can easily browse, search, scroll, through the files and see metadata and cover art. The setup works smoothly, sounds pretty good and serves as my point of reference for evaluating direct DSD playback on the Oppo. I did try setting Foobar to play DSD through HDMI to the Oppo. It didn’t work.

I connected a 3TB USB drive with nearly 400 multi-channel DSD albums (ripped and extracted from my SACD collection) to the front input of the 103. I was able to access the folders and files through the menu system and play any file I selected. The sound quality differences between playing multi-channel SACDs and DSD files are the same as what I heard when comparing stereo discs and files, so I won’t go into any more detail on that.

Sound quality compared to the Foobar/PCM/HDMI setup (see above) is WOW much better! The level of resolution really steps up. Direct DSD sounds significantly more open, extended, and fast. Comparatively, PCM/HDMI sounds a bit blurred, muted and smoothed over. Elements in the mix that PCM/HDMI only hints at snap into focus with direct DSD. For example, with direct DSD I could discern for the first time the slightly smoky, gritty character of Susannah McCorkle’s voice as she sang “Waters of March”. And the transient percussive snap of the various drums on “Daraijin” from Kodo - Mondo Head was so intense that it kept my “startle” impulse on edge through the whole track.

This is a good news/bad news situation for me. DSD file playback on the 103 via USB drive clearly sounds better than my current Foobar/PCM/HDMI setup. That’s good! But the Oppo menu interface is so LAME compared to the Apple Remote interface for Foobar. That’s bad. To navigate to an album I have to click down, one by one, past each album folder to get to the one I want. With nearly 400 album folders, do you know how long it takes to get to Pink Floyd or Shostakovich? TOO long! There has got to be a way to improve Oppo’s interface for playing back music files.

I did run into a few other limitations and technical glitches. I don’t use a center channel speaker, and with the PCM/HDMI setup I set the Oppo to map the center channel signal to the left and right speakers. This is not an option when playing back direct DSD multi-channel files. With most mixes, not having the center channel doesn’t seem to make a big difference. But there are a handful of mixes, like James Taylor – Hourglass, where the main vocal just disappears from the mix. Oh well.

Occasionally, files will stop, start and/or stutter in the middle of playback. It didn’t happen often, and restarting the track usually fixed it, but it’s a definite mood killer to have that happen in the middle of a tune. Also, when I set the Oppo to output DSD as PCM, channel assignments for multi-channel DSD files get mixed up. The left rear & right rear channels get swapped with the center and LFE channels. The result is that center channel vocals play from the left rear, LFE gets lost in the right rear, and surround elements appear in the middle of the front sound stage. This is not a big deal since I’m not sure why someone would go to the trouble of playing back direct DSD only to convert it to PCM. I’m sure Oppo will fix this in future firmware updates.

Russ

Occasionally, files will stop, start and/or stutter in the middle of playback. It didn’t happen often, and restarting the track usually fixed it, but it’s a definite mood killer to have that happen in the middle of a tune. Also, when I set the Oppo to output DSD as PCM, channel assignments for multi-channel DSD files get mixed up. The left rear & right rear channels get swapped with the center and LFE channels. The result is that center channel vocals play from the left rear, LFE gets lost in the right rear, and surround elements appear in the middle of the front sound stage. This is not a big deal since I’m not sure why someone would go to the trouble of playing back direct DSD only to convert it to PCM. I’m sure Oppo will fix this in future firmware updates.

Russ

I hope that you have reported these bugs to Oppo. Especially the channel assignment bug. That's a biggie.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Russ. Or Ted. Valenroy?..

This is exciting stuff.

Can you please confirm for me that when playing these files via the Oppo's USB port, that the Oppo play's them in pure DSD. With no PCM conversion on the fly.. right out via it's 5.1 analog out's. (Not via HMDI) This is how I currently have my NAD SACD setup. Direct DSD via 5.1 analog out. CAn you setup the oppo with this new firmware to do the same? Thanks Wap.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^ Russ. Or Ted. This is exciting stuff.

Can you please confirm for me that when playing these files via the Oppo's USB port, that the Oppo play's them in pure DSD. With no PCM conversion on the fly.. right out via it's 5.1 analog out's. (Not via HMDI) This is how I currently have my NAD SACD setup. Direct DSD via 5.1 analog out. CAn you setup the oppo with this new firmware to do the same? Thanks Wap.

Wap, what is your question? If it is: does the Oppo 103/105 play USB thumb drive-based DSF files in native DSD (stereo or multichannel) the answer is yes, but we have been discussing that for several pages. That firmware was announced by Kal two weeks ago, and I thought you were already in these discussions. What is new here, I'm confused? Just like playing SACDs, if the 103/105 is set for DSD in its SACD setup then the DSF files are DSD-to-analog. This should not be a surprise...the only thing that has changed is that they can be files, not just discs.

Ted. Cool. I knew it could play the files. It's just it's been so long since I looked at the Oppo as a multichannel DSD player that I forgot you could set it to direct DSD-to-analog. (bypassing PCM and HDMI) Sorry ted. This is awseome. I've been waiting soooo long to swap out my old NAD M55 SACD M55 player the old LG blu ray. Now I have no excuses!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Folks still keep forgetting the old DSD>5.1 analog route is by far and away the best way to play digital music files. Always was with SACD's as well. This simple set up is always forgotten with all the HDMI carry on all the time..

Ted. Cool. I knew it could play the files. It's just it's been so long since I looked at the Oppo as a multichannel DSD player that I forgot you could set it to direct DSD-to-analog. (bypassing PCM and HDMI) Sorry ted. This is awseome. I've been waiting soooo long to swap out my old NAD M55 SACD M55 player the old LG blu ray. Now I have no excuses!

No problem, Wap. For some stupid reason i thought you were already on to this,. and was asking another question. Yes, it is a nice advancement for those with this player...but it's still the same DAC, the Oppo's internal DAC.

^ Ted. I've been deep into the Invicta the last couple of months.. just hopped off the multichannel DSD bus for a while.. looks like I need to hop back on hahaha

Hey the Oppo's USB port now supports exFat. That's cool. Because that's the format for these large (up to 256Gb) SDXC cards...now let me see... I wonder if this would work with one of these USB<>SDXC connector gizmo's as well :)

See where I'm going with this Ted? All your DSD files get put on one card.. You might not be able to stream them properly yet. And it would be very expensive to put say one of those new DSD streamers in every room (forgotten what they are called), but if all your DSD tracks were on a little card, you could move them around via plug and play ..or duplicate them on cards..you could then very quickly and cost effectively, get them playable in pretty much every room in the house... :)

Guys with the SMB set up on the Oppo. When a drive is connected to that Oppo's USB port, can you mount it as an SMB share on a computer? Is that what you are saying? That you can see that attached USB drive on the Oppo and simply move the files across that way... I do that with Dune players (for movies). If the Oppo was capable of this (for music files) that would *very* cool...

Perhaps the other reason why I got excited with this newfound support for DSD through the USB storage facility is the independence from the computer for native playback. Think about how the Resonessense Lab Invicta incorporated the SDXC card interface to negate the need of a PC. This basically threw heated discussions such as computer borne noise; software players; system os; USB/FireWire cables, etc right out of the window. You get the shortest, cleanest signal path between the storage device and the DAC! Talk about bring a purist!

Exactly !!!!!! Way to go :)