IGNORED

OPPO 103/105 Does Stereo/Multi-Channel DSD!

A question regarding DSF file playback

I am using the network to playback dsf files.

The files do playback, but on my preamp (Emotiva UMC-200), the displays shows "Blu-Ray PCM 88.2".

Shouldn't the display show a much higher sampling rate?

Am I missing setting on the BDP-105 to show the correct output?

I am using the latest beta firmware and my oppo is connected to my emotiva preamp via HDMI.

Also, when playing the files, there does not appear to be a way to sort the files so the album plays the files in the correct order. Can someone tell me if there is a setting to change this?

Bruce

Bruce. I just took a look at the back of that Emotiva UMC 200 for you. You are lucky! What you need to do is connect the Oppo 105 via 7.1 analog out into the 7.1 analog inputs into the Emotiva. Then select them on the Emotiva as the audio input. Then you set the Oppo's audio output to analog. Turn off HDMI, and put the Oppo on "pure audio" and you will get DSD files playing as pure DSD without PCM conversion..

Regarding order of the file playback, Oppo has acknowledged this is a firmware issue. Hopefully they are looking into it, Direct playback of DSD off a USB attached disc seems OK, but when streamed via SMB, track order can be wrong. More info on this can be found earlier in this thread. . Cheers

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Out of curiosity I could in theory use the 105 as a DAC for my Oppo 93 for .iso and BDMV stuff? I'm really interested in the Buffalo DLNA with DSD support. That could make things interesting depending on which formats are supported such as hsf or ntsf--it can make working with a Mac for other things a bit difficult.

Bleed I wouldn't do this. What I do is use a Dune for Movie files..and an Oppo 105 for music. Dunes are cheap but work with almost every movie format. Regarding NAS drives. My QNAP setup works fine for DSD files as well.. Cheers. Wap.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Out of curiosity I could in theory use the 105 as a DAC for my Oppo 93 for .iso and BDMV stuff?

I forgot to mention, you can still watch BDMV folders with the 103/105 and newest firmwares. All you need is to copy the BDMV folder into an AVCHD folder. Then you "modify" the BDMV folder with this tool https://www.dropbox.com/s/h76w2bel8w0yfx9/bdmv_modify_v1.4.zip (AVCHD folders created by tsMuxeR are not affected by the new firmware limitations.)

I had connected a Dune HD to the Oppo 105 via HDMI IN. Confusing was that the Oppo gave out the full hd movie from the Dune in 50Hz instead of 1080p/24. And no HD Audio. The HDMI INs are ok for Sat- and Cable Receivers. I changed from MKV/M2TS to AVCHD format and sold the Dune.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I spoke with emotiva and the problem is that you have to use either HDMI 1 or HDMI 4 in order to use your screen to see the files you play on the oppo and change the audio to 2 channel. If you use HDMI 2 or 3 you can't do this.

Everything now works -- I am able to view the files on my tv screen, while enjoying DSD playback through the analog outputs.

You can also use HDMI 2 or 3 if you set up hot keys on HDMI 4 to change to analog while looking at the files on your monitor.

Weird, but this is how emotiva set this up.

Bruce

Bruce. I just took a look at the back of that Emotiva UMC 200 for you. You are lucky! What you need to do is connect the Oppo 105 via 7.1 analog out into the 7.1 analog inputs into the Emotiva. Then select them on the Emotiva as the audio input. Then you set the Oppo's audio output to analog. Turn off HDMI, and put the Oppo on "pure audio" and you will get DSD files playing as pure DSD without PCM conversion..

Regarding order of the file playback, Oppo has acknowledged this is a firmware issue. Hopefully they are looking into it, Direct playback of DSD off a USB attached disc seems OK, but when streamed via SMB, track order can be wrong. More info on this can be found earlier in this thread. . Cheers

^ Great! Sounds like the Emotiva<>Oppo is a fine setup.

One thing I don't like about the Oppo is firmware upgrades. Everytime you do one, you lose all the analog settings I'm talking about. And the surround speaker settings etc etc... Anybody found a solution to this problem?

Bleed I wouldn't do this. What I do is use a Dune for Movie files..and an Oppo 105 for music. Dunes are cheap but work with almost every movie format. Regarding NAS drives. My QNAP setup works fine for DSD files as well.. Cheers. Wap.

thanks for everyone for answering my queries...I am considering this model should an expected financial windfall occur. I am more curious about what to couple it with and have heard emotiva is great and inexpensive relative to the specs but I've also heard some who've had probs getting the DSD to work with their emotiva set up. I'll have to look into this more. I was considering the Teac since it is DSD capable and apparently sounds good but you lose multichannel...Curious as to what folks think is the best amplification option with this...a pre/pro or a proper AVR? Emotiva Pre Power? Isn't the 105 practically an amp? I'd heard it was just about capable of replacing the AVR as well...I was a bit unclear what they were talking about however.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

I forgot to mention, you can still watch BDMV folders with the 103/105 and newest firmwares. All you need is to copy the BDMV folder into an AVCHD folder. Then you "modify" the BDMV folder with this tool https://www.dropbox.com/s/h76w2bel8w0yfx9/bdmv_modify_v1.4.zip (AVCHD folders created by tsMuxeR are not affected by the new firmware limitations.)

I had connected a Dune HD to the Oppo 105 via HDMI IN. Confusing was that the Oppo gave out the full hd movie from the Dune in 50Hz instead of 1080p/24. And no HD Audio. The HDMI INs are ok for Sat- and Cable Receivers. I changed from MKV/M2TS to AVCHD format and sold the Dune.

Oh that is seriously bizarre...originally I seem to recall there being some to do about the unit serving as a DAC for video game consoles and the like...Sounds like it's not ideal!

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Bleed. Think Analog out!!!

That is analog out of the Oppo.

Then you can couple it with whatever you like! (As long as it has analog input.)

Could even be 3x2 channel stereo power amps if you like (for 5.1)

What I'm doing is using a simple Yamaha Receiver with the Oppo. But you can use whatever you want.

For Music/DSD (including multichannel) I use 5.1 analog out

For the odd Blu Ray Movie disc etc I use HDMI out to HDMI in. I could use analog out for this as well, but I can't be stuffed fine tuning the lipsync

For iso's etc I use the Dune HDMI out to HDMI in.

I know this is not ideal (having both a Dune and an Oppo) and sure everything could possibly be done with something like JRiver then USB into the Oppo..(but let's not go there! hahaha)..and sure "If only" Oppo just stopped taking back what they have giveth before!..

But as you know it's not an ideal world.

Ideally, yes obviously the Oppo *is* more than capable now of streaming everything we want as well as playing pretty much every disc. But do they "let it be" as such? Heck no! We all know why!

So "theoretically" we could just have a Oppo, a couple of power amps: and how sweet and uncomplicated life would be!!!

We could buy the best darn power amps on the planet.. like McIntosh's or something and simply swap out Oppo's as they keep bringing in new Movie surround formats and 3D..even 4K etc etc...but alas as you know it's not an ideal world and Oppo continues to throw us all curve balls and get us to wind back the clock...

Oppo is as close at it gets. Particulalry now Dune has refused to give us an audiophile quality player :)

Cheers

Wap

^ Of course I had to mention JRiver. I'm sorry about that because it is an Oppo thread...And if one was to set up and build somehow a multichannel CAPS ..and run JRiver on that! Then how good would that be!

But two problems

1/ Show me an audiophile quality DSD capable multichannel D>A sound card. and

2/ Show me JRiver than can handle AppleDRM video

Cheers

Interesting developments on this thread..

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/cubox-any-one-14257/index3.html

I wonder if you could cubox>Oppo105 via USB?

And play *every* format that way?

Anybody done it with the new cubox set up mentioned?

thanks for everyone for answering my queries...I am considering this model should an expected financial windfall occur. I am more curious about what to couple it with and have heard emotiva is great and inexpensive relative to the specs but I've also heard some who've had probs getting the DSD to work with their emotiva set up. I'll have to look into this more. I was considering the Teac since it is DSD capable and apparently sounds good but you lose multichannel...Curious as to what folks think is the best amplification option with this...a pre/pro or a proper AVR? Emotiva Pre Power? Isn't the 105 practically an amp? I'd heard it was just about capable of replacing the AVR as well...I was a bit unclear what they were talking about however.

One option if you are willing to take a little bit of a risk is an older, pre-HD capable AV processor. Suitable units that come to mind include Classe SSP300 and SSP600, Arcam AV9, Bryston SP1.7 (think thats the right model), various Krell models. These all have good analogue multi-channel inputs and better than average pre-amp capabilities. You will also be able to use other sources such as satellite receivers.

You would of course also need to add a multi-channel power amp.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Definitely be using analog out but don't think my AVR is up to the task. I'm leaning more toward emotiva everyday. Seems like a nice inexpensive way to boost my sound. I've looked into older models on craigslist but I think a warranty is a good idea.

One option if you are willing to take a little bit of a risk is an older, pre-HD capable AV processor. Suitable units that come to mind include Classe SSP300 and SSP600, Arcam AV9, Bryston SP1.7 (think thats the right model), various Krell models. These all have good analogue multi-channel inputs and better than average pre-amp capabilities. You will also be able to use other sources such as satellite receivers.

You would of course also need to add a multi-channel power amp.

Eloise

If I could find these going for less than a house (jk) sounds wonderful! They're beautiful but even used seem to be pretty expensive like McIntosh. By the time I can afford one the knobs are gone! Thanks for the advice. These Emotiva kits are really compelling. I'm still on the fence with this Oppo. Is the ability to use a tablet now well supported? I'm reading a review suggesting otherwise but he could just be dumb in that area. It sounds, correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like 2 channel is a USB affair, while mc and such goes over DLNA? Then DSD is SMB and basically put something you like in a folder and it will play in no particular order? The main difference for me will be the DAC built in, Android control, and quasi DSD, and better analog, right? I just auditioned a dragonfly and noticed an improvement over the 93 using upnp for stereo. I just want to make sure if 2 channel is the main thing I'm getting perhaps a DAC might be better like the TEAC?

............................... I'm still on the fence with this Oppo. Is the ability to use a tablet now well supported? I'm reading a review suggesting otherwise but he could just be dumb in that area.

Tablet control is OK but replicates the remote control.

It sounds, correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like 2 channel is a USB affair, while mc and such goes over DLNA?
USB "B" connector is stereo only. USB "A" connectors will handle stereo, MCH and DSD. Same for SMB while DLNA won't do DSD.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Getting closer to pulling the trigger. I was looking at NAS devices and a Qnap device actually mounts .iso's within the device. I'm not sure if this would or could affect DSD iso's but it seems that if the Qnap could mounts such files it would take up much of the functionality that was removed from the Oppo proper. Anyone have experience with this or another NAS that mounts disk images? I was very intrigued. I am leaning toward an emotiva to handle playback. The XPA 5 is around a grand at 200wpc. Assuming this would replace just about any need I might have for the Yammy? Sorry to ask so many questions but if I pull the trigger on the Oppo there's really no reason to do so if I don't have a bit of a better amp--my Yammy is fine--but I'd think analog wise it's definitely didn't get into aventage territory though it was the top of the line for the series just below. The other thing that I need (this gets expensive! Geez...) would be a proper NAS to replace my drobo. I am hoping for something that doesn't need enterprise drives--has DLNA support, VPN, etc.--maybe 5 bay...there are a few models from Qnap and Synology that look wonderful but some only work with certain drives. Meaning I'd have to replace a few HDD's as well. So all in all I'd really really like to get out of this for under 3000. Possible? I'm not including the Xperia tablet to control all this...There is also one particular line of NAS devices that include an HDMI cable to actually turn it into a media box itself...can't remember the model...it runs XBMC but doesn't support audio passthru just 2 channel...intriguing tho...no need for a computer whatsoever. If the oppo does DSD over usb would it not also work with an external drive (aren't a flash stick and an external just about the same thing?)? If I understand everyone correctly when doing this over SMB for DSD it plays tracks in no particular order...so if I want to hear an album I'd make a folder and put the files in it and point the oppo to that? Similar to how most music players put flac into a folder for instance? Alas I know I probably brought up a few things that have been mulled over before but I'd like to be absolutely sure of what I am doing before I buy stuff this time...last time I ended up with a less than optimal experience that I could have bettered for the same money had I more knowledge...

I was looking at NAS devices and a Qnap device actually mounts .iso's within the device. I'm not sure if this would or could affect DSD iso's but it seems that if the Qnap could mounts such files it would take up much of the functionality that was removed from the Oppo proper. Anyone have experience with this or another NAS that mounts disk images?

This won't make any difference. Even before Oppo dropped SACD-R support from their players, mounting SACD Isos to a drive wasn't visible as a NAS device for an Oppo. Now that ALL ISO support is gone from the player, I would think that the chances of this working are virtually nil.

Ah so any Synology will pretty much do...I was looking at the UPA 700 to use with the Oppo. I don't think I need anything else right? Just the Oppo and the power amp? I have B&Ws and like to bi amp the fronts which looks doable but I'm not sure where that gets done...in the Oppo or the UPA? Or do I still need the Yamaha in there for some reason? I sort of assumed the Oppo remote was a wash. Now that you can use Bubble and other UPNP/DLNA controllers to select music a tablet seemingly would complete this 'upgrade' (downgrade for wallet).

• 1 month later...

Mike... sorry. It seems that I forgot to mention I have placed a HDMI-Audio De-embedder between the Oppo and the TDAI. Works well! (As long there is no TV or soundbar in that HDMI chain. Then you have the 44,1kHz limitation for SACD/DSD files and 48kHz limitation for 96/24 and 192/24 PCM.)

For DSD I have a new toy: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/playing-dsd-any-players-including-squeezebox-touch-16346/index2.html#post255387

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

• 4 weeks later...
^ Of course I had to mention JRiver. I'm sorry about that because it is an Oppo thread...And if one was to set up and build somehow a multichannel CAPS ..and run JRiver on that! Then how good would that be!

But two problems

1/ Show me an audiophile quality DSD capable multichannel D>A sound card. and

2/ Show me JRiver than can handle AppleDRM video

Cheers

I can't speak to (2) re Apple DRM, but you could always go with an Exasound E28 with your CAPS/JRiver setup if you want DSD capable multichannel ;)

exaSound Audio Design > e28 DAC > e28 DAC

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

• 7 months later...
Here’s an update on playing multi-channel DSD files on my Oppo BDP-103.

Occasionally, files will stop, start and/or stutter in the middle of playback. It didn’t happen often, and restarting the track usually fixed it, but it’s a definite mood killer to have that happen in the middle of a tune.

I know this is an old post, but one of our customers just discovered a solution to a similar problem with the Oppo 103. Disabling Gracenote lookup on the Oppo solved it.

Weird and wonderful (freak problems and their solutions)

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com