IGNORED

OPPO 103/105 Does Stereo/Multi-Channel DSD!

Yes I can see MinimServer on the OPPO GUI as a local media server. When I select it and choose files to play it does nothing.. strange that the dsf files icons are shown as APE, not DSF... when I select the NAS by SMB it works perfect.

Anybody sucessfully play back dsf from MinimServer with all metadata showing?

Why don't you put this up as an issue on the minimserver forum. Simon (the developer) is extremely helpful. The Oppo is listed as a compatible device with minimserver. Maybe it's got something to do with the files themselves. How the tag has been embedded etc etc.. Simon rocks. I'll be following your quest with interest :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Perhaps the other reason why I got excited with this newfound support for DSD through the USB storage facility is the independence from the computer for native playback. Think about how the Resonessense Lab Invicta incorporated the SDXC card interface to negate the need of a PC. This basically threw heated discussions such as computer borne noise; software players; system os; USB/FireWire cables, etc right out of the window. You get the shortest, cleanest signal path between the storage device and the DAC! Talk about bring a purist!

I like purist valenroy. And I also value convenience. A local storage is always limited in expansion so, for me, network storage works better. We can have the convenience of a network storage and not having a pc next to the hi-fi...

Hopefully some day convenience and SQ meet together...

I like purist valenroy. And I also value convenience. A local storage is always limited in expansion so, for me, network storage works better. We can have the convenience of a network storage and not having a pc next to the hi-fi...

Hopefully some day convenience and SQ meet together...

And the best thing is... This new development allows both local and network storage to be accessed albeit via the primitive tree span structure for the time being.

Yes I can see MinimServer on the OPPO GUI as a local media server. When I select it and choose files to play it does nothing.. strange that the dsf files icons are shown as APE, not DSF... when I select the NAS by SMB it works perfect.

Anybody sucessfully play back dsf from MinimServer with all metadata showing?

Why don't you put this up as an issue on the minimserver forum. Simon (the developer) is extremely helpful. The Oppo is listed as a compatible device with minimserver. Maybe it's got something to do with the files themselves. How the tag has been embedded etc etc.. Simon rocks. I'll be following your quest with interest :)

Hello all! Finally registered here. About that interesting topic, I already have adressed it to Simon. According to him, the question is what MIME-type concerning DSD-files are the Oppos asking for. I also asked the Oppo-support. Their first response was not that satisfying for Simon.

For playing DSD-files gapless, I use this way at the moment Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

My understanding of Minimserver is it is to be used in conjunction with foobar or another renderer to send stuff to the Oppo. The way I did it, I accessed Minimserver from a foobar VM and used bubble upnp to navigate via smartphone. All media shows up as DSF DFF--tagged however it was tagged--and basically you have to set up foobar to stream them the right way as it does support DOP. I am only able to get PCM on a 93 of course being a limitation of the chipset. Anyway that's how I did it. This is the only way I know of to stream or push content to the Oppo from a smartphone. My basic understanding is just that minimserver isn't a DLNA server per se but integrates with a renderer like foobar and allows one to push content. You access foobar in the UPNP tree, not minim server. Foobar will start playing what you choose in Bubble (DSD files) and you must dig down the file tree til you get to the part where foobar streams what it is playing. It's way convoluted. I don't believe it works as just a server without something else (my experience--not saying it's the TRUTH)--that something else being whatever sits between the server and the player (ie the rendering portion of the protocol). Not sure I explained this correctly but I followed the set up instructions and was able to push content to the 93 which is currently impossible without this workaround. Dunno if they improved this with the new models. I heard the smartphone app was horrendous. This is a bit better. Only problem is I am not sure how to get Bubble to do alphabetical ordering. Also with minimserver I found it best to archive your DSD files first then do your other files. It becomes rather hard to separate PCM from DSD content otherwise. Good luck...not sure minimserver would work if the only way to do DSD is over SMB.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

That would depend on the server and the player. For example, using Foobar or Jriver you can set the bit and sampling rate to anything you want over DLNA. Your choice. I believe both will upsample, downsample, or send it out the way it came. These programs bypass the audio substrate of the OS so in effect if the server and player are set up right, and the hardware has the capabilities to stream the files they will be bitperfect. An example of that not being the case would be with something like aTV. It's hardware does 24/48 (? am I right) so no matter what you stream to it, it will come out 24/48. With the Oppo, PCM definitely gets sent bit perfect if you set it up right at the server as the hardware is capable of 24/192. Depending on what you are playing

DSD on and how you are playing it (I know of no way except the SMB method others have said to get files over the network to the Oppo in particular). Over DLNA I'd not expect DSD to be bitperfect. It will likely be PCM. (my guess). So it would depend on format, hardware, and/or software. But yes, it not only is possible it is easier IMHO to get bitperfect playback over DLNA and such than using the actual OS to play a file.

I wonder, and this is just a general question.... Is playing files through the network, either DSD or PCM considered bit perfect?

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

That would depend on the server and the player. For example, using Foobar or Jriver you can set the bit and sampling rate to anything you want over DLNA. Your choice. I believe both will upsample, downsample, or send it out the way it came. These programs bypass the audio substrate of the OS so in effect if the server and player are set up right, and the hardware has the capabilities to stream the files they will be bitperfect. An example of that not being the case would be with something like aTV. It's hardware does 24/48 (? am I right) so no matter what you stream to it, it will come out 24/48. With the Oppo, PCM definitely gets sent bit perfect if you set it up right at the server as the hardware is capable of 24/192. Depending on what you are playing

DSD on and how you are playing it (I know of no way except the SMB method others have said to get files over the network to the Oppo in particular). Over DLNA I'd not expect DSD to be bitperfect. It will likely be PCM. (my guess). So it would depend on format, hardware, and/or software. But yes, it not only is possible it is easier IMHO to get bitperfect playback over DLNA and such than using the actual OS to play a file.

Thank you

That makes sense. I have JRiver setup to not do any conversion and the Oppo plays all the files no problem. But wasnt sure of that.

Now the question is if Oppo who is able to play DSD via SMB, will be able to support DoPE (DoP Ethernet?) as JRiver already has it as an option. Not to mention support for DSD over USB through DoP or ASIO.

I would love if Oppo also added support for dsd128 and 352.8/384 khz pcm in stereo and multichannel. But maybe for next generation with even more features

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

Bleed. AFAK, Minimserver doesn't need to integrate anything else (foobar or JRiver) running to "Serve" up a music library via DLNA/uPNP. MAybe for the Oppo?? but not for my LinnDS> Mine just serves up just fine straight off a QNAP...Anyway, a few posts back a guy migrated straight onto his Minimserver uPnP share via the Oppo GUI. and all the tracks of his lib came up. He could play the PCM ones. Just not the DSD ones...

Can you ask Simon on the m forum for us all on all this.. It's starting to get very confusing.. :) Wap

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Hello all! Finally registered here. About that interesting topic, I already have adressed it to Simon. According to him, the question is what MIME-type concerning DSD-files are the Oppos asking for. I also asked the Oppo-support. Their first response was not that satisfying for Simon.

For playing DSD-files gapless, I use this way at the moment Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Thanks for posting this. Crikey! 7999 posts on that thread!! Who wants to be no. 8000! CAn you elaborate what Simon and Oppo had to say please? I can't find your post on his forum...

This was just a pet project to see if I could push content to the Oppo which is what the set up I described does. I think that might be my own confusion as per minimserver. The convoluted set up comes from the fact that you cannot 'push' stuff to the Oppo. The second point was just to see if I could stream DSD over DLNA and the answer is a resounding no. My unit isn't capable of playing DSD that way...it comes out PCM. However if the Oppo were DSD capable in terms of network support this tool would do it. I was basically following the instructions for not only pushing content but DSD as well. I guess that's why the weird set up. If I remember I got the instructions from the site. I am at a loss why they suggested this set up. It works tho. Anyway I think I just assumed the instructions I followed (since it's been a while) were for both aspects. BTW the DSD tracks using the method I used didn't show up as ape files they showed up as DFF files. The Linn has more capabilities from what I understand than the Oppo. I didn't try to get minimserver on it's own but as part of a system to push content--so I can't comment on how one would reach it--I personally didn't even see it on my Oppo. Foobar was there with the attendent minimserver node over Upnp/DLNA. I think I was a bit stumped when I didn't see it show up. I may have screwed that up by setting up for content pushing. I went on a stupid Oppo networking site on AVS to find out more from people but the thread is 840 pages long! There's a lot to be said for Oppo...just not 840 pages worth! The number of actual threads was in the the high 5 digits.

Bleed. AFAK, Minimserver doesn't need to integrate anything else (foobar or JRiver) running to "Serve" up a music library via DLNA/uPNP. MAybe for the Oppo?? but not for my LinnDS> Mine just serves up just fine straight off a QNAP...Anyway, a few posts back a guy migrated straight onto his Minimserver uPnP share via the Oppo GUI. and all the tracks of his lib came up. He could play the PCM ones. Just not the DSD ones...

Can you ask Simon on the m forum for us all on all this.. It's starting to get very confusing.. :) Wap

Thanks for posting this. Crikey! 7999 posts on that thread!! Who wants to be no. 8000! CAn you elaborate what Simon and Oppo had to say please? I can't find your post on his forum...

Hi Wap, lol.. yes. Pretty hard to find the interesting things for oneself in such a thread. Not to forget there is an extra thread for the 105 owners.

I was emailing with Simon, at first to make the MinimServer "visible" to the Oppo and then about the DSD-files thing. I had asked Oppo UK for the MIME type (I better should have emailed to Oppo USA, it is the direct and shortest way also to get a response). Well, the response from Oppo UK was "audio/x-dsf". That was not really very helpful. Simon found out that the type is rather used for Dreamcast Sound Format https://github.com/PhantomX/chinfo-extramimetypes/blob/master/smi/chinfo-extramimetypes-gm.xml.

Rather interesting could be "application/x-dsf" and "application/x-dff" httpsocket.cpp - cantata - Qt4 / KDE4 Music Player Client - Google Project Hosting.

Indeed I am still waiting for a second response from Oppo now. They are "in the middle of a firmware release" and pretty busy at the moment. My hope is there are some guys among the Oppo engineers who have an interest in DSD-streaming. Another option for the near future could be such DSD-streamers as the LUMIN. The LUMIN can play DSD-files, served from the MinimServer.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

This was just a pet project to see if I could push content to the Oppo which is what the set up I described does. I think that might be my own confusion as per minimserver. The convoluted set up comes from the fact that you cannot 'push' stuff to the Oppo. The second point was just to see if I could stream DSD over DLNA and the answer is a resounding no. My unit isn't capable of playing DSD that way...it comes out PCM. However if the Oppo were DSD capable in terms of network support this tool would do it. ............................................ I went on a stupid Oppo networking site on AVS to find out more from people but the thread is 840 pages long! There's a lot to be said for Oppo...just not 840 pages worth! The number of actual threads was in the the high 5 digits.
Yes, it is a long thread and I have not been following it, or this one, assiduously. Also, I have no idea what a MinimServer is. BTW, DFF is one of the formats of DSD files. AFAIK, DSD never appears as a file type.

OTOH, I have been pushing all sorts of formats to the 105 and 103 via ethernet and that includes DSF/DFF in stereo and multichannel. Also, while I have been successful in streaming all these formats via DLNA using the 103/5, I have had better results using SMB for the file transfer. It is all doable.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Yes, it is a long thread and I have not been following it, or this one, assiduously. Also, I have no idea what a MinimServer is. BTW, DFF is one of the formats of DSD files. AFAIK, DSD never appears as a file type.

OTOH, I have been pushing all sorts of formats to the 105 and 103 via ethernet and that includes DSF/DFF in stereo and multichannel. Also, while I have been successful in streaming all these formats via DLNA using the 103/5, I have had better results using SMB for the file transfer. It is all doable.

Was aware of that. Someone above had said their DSD files were showing up as .ape in the server. I was just clarifying that DFF is possible. I am not up on the capabilities of the 103/5 as I still have the 93 (and some of the features being removed to make the DSD thing possible don't really work for me in the long term--AVCHD and ISO support being more inclusive of most music out there. That could change if new content in genres I enjoy were to come out in this format. I'd heard the apps for Oppo aren't that great--can't say as I won't update firmware to support them. That was the main reason I'd brought up minimserver and it's push abilities for those who still have 93/5's or don't like the Oppo apps. It sounds like folks are only getting network support with SMB though for DSD...would be nice to see something like a DLNA server catching on for DSD.

Was aware of that. Someone above had said their DSD files were showing up as .ape in the server. I was just clarifying that DFF is possible. I am not up on the capabilities of the 103/5 as I still have the 93 (and some of the features being removed to make the DSD thing possible don't really work for me in the long term--AVCHD and ISO support being more inclusive of most music out there. That could change if new content in genres I enjoy were to come out in this format. I'd heard the apps for Oppo aren't that great--can't say as I won't update firmware to support them. That was the main reason I'd brought up minimserver and it's push abilities for those who still have 93/5's or don't like the Oppo apps. It sounds like folks are only getting network support with SMB though for DSD...would be nice to see something like a DLNA server catching on for DSD.

I see. I didn't realize that you had the 93 and not a 103/5. My concerns are with the audio functions primarily and the video functions are decidedly secondary. That said, I think that Oppo really came through with the new ones with only a very few issues.

Kal Rubinson

Someone above had said their DSD files were showing up as .ape in the server.

I can confirm that. The Oppo sees the DSD-files when served from MinimServer (no matter if .dff or .dsf) as APE-files. Though the MinimServer doesn`t support that format.

I also was playing with foobar as UPnP-Server a bit. Apart of that foobar seems to convert the DSD-files to PCM before streaming. The Oppo could see the DSD-files as DFF or DSF and play them when adjusted as 16bit. After changing to 24bit (in the foobar menu) these files seemed to have the APE-format again for the Oppo and it rejected to play them. That gave me a slight headache :) Maybe I will try it with foobar again. At the moment, I can live with the CUE-sheet way using SMB.

^ Kal. MinimSever is like a "music only" version of Twonky media server. Better still than Twonky: in that it is truly multiplatform running on Linux/OSX/Win7 on computers as well as all the main NAS platforms like QNAP/Synology/Netgear. No adds or silly website loggin either. But it gets even better> It's specifically designed to serve up music libraries only. So pretty much any music tag setup an end user could dream up.... That's it's killer feature. For example you can design TAG's in your library to search out and display all your files as 16, 24, 44.1, 88,1, 96, 192 etc etc.. and chose albums and tracks based on that. Want to just play 24/192?..hey no problem. So the big additional killer function for us all here is if we could work out a way of attaching meta data to DSF files (our own specific meta data like say "stereo" vs "multichannel"), then we could mix in all our DSD files into the library and use minimserver to find the multichannel ones easily. In other words presto.. all the multichannel ones would come up. Then if MinimServer could just direct our NAS drive to stream these to the Oppo... See what I mean. But at the moment it seems there is a bug in Minimserver that prevents DLNA streaming of DSD files to the Oppo... Anyway, check out minimserver. You won't be disappointed Kal.. :)

The files showed up as dff etc when in the Bubble UPNP app to push content. I think you might have more luck playing the files from foobar (as it does DOP I think) if you stream it straight from the output of your pc. That's how I was using it to browse on the fly and push content. It was actually foobar playing the files, minim server just allowed it access, and Bubble upnp makes them show up correctly tagged in it's program when you browse minim server through it. I know it sounds a bit convoluted but I am pretty sure the only reason I am not getting DSD is that my unit is the older one. Wasn't there big set up guide on the site just for that? I know I didn't figure it out myself! I didn't understand the video comment either Kal. DLNA and the like are just a way of getting around the OS. They actually work very well for music if the player has a flash buffer.

I can confirm that. The Oppo sees the DSD-files when served from MinimServer (no matter if .dff or .dsf) as APE-files. Though the MinimServer doesn`t support that format.

I also was playing with foobar as UPnP-Server a bit. Apart of that foobar seems to convert the DSD-files to PCM before streaming. The Oppo could see the DSD-files as DFF or DSF and play them when adjusted as 16bit. After changing to 24bit (in the foobar menu) these files seemed to have the APE-format again for the Oppo and it rejected to play them. That gave me a slight headache :) Maybe I will try it with foobar again. At the moment, I can live with the CUE-sheet way using SMB.

Kal. Programs like MinimServer are the future of music library tagging and hirez streaming. Now we are on the cusp of getting a sub 1.3K player of very reasonable quality (the 105) playing back multichannel DSD right off a NAS drive. But the key to all this is Minimserver. Because as I said it will allow accurate tagging of files so the mulitchannel ones can be all mixed up with the stereo and the DSD all mixed up with the PCM..within the one music library on the NAS, yet with tagging (and selection by minimserver)...audiophiles will be able to select out just the multichannel to playback on the Oppo...or the stereo on something else. Etc etc..

Sure it's trial and error at the moment: but look where this takes us if the bugs can be sorted?!!

Now can you see why this is the future of music playback in the "Round"?

Cheers

You can do all that tagging with JRiver as well. Dont want to start a fight of one software vs another, but minimserver is not the only solution for easily tagging files for easy searching later on. On JRiver I can get to the multichannel or stereo version of an almum within seconds

- Unknown

You can do all that tagging with JRiver as well. Dont want to start a fight of one software vs another, but minimserver is not the only solution for easily tagging files for easy searching later on. On JRiver I can get to the multichannel or stereo version of an almum within seconds

Selarom are you using the 'Manage Library Fields' in JRiver to do this ?

The Truth Is Out There

On JRiver under the audio tab you an option called Files. Its like a panel based browser like the itunes of old. You can right click on the top of one of the columns and select a new to the left or right of that one and it then asks you what tag to use to sort your music. You can select # channels, file type, sampling rate, etc...

Another way is to create a custom view which is my preferred method since you can really customize it your liking. Ted_B wrote of it here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/j-river-tips-and-techniques-user-experiences-repository-13684/

- Unknown

Kal. Programs like MinimServer are the future of music library tagging and hirez streaming. Now we are on the cusp of getting a sub 1.3K player of very reasonable quality (the 105) playing back multichannel DSD right off a NAS drive. But the key to all this is Minimserver. Because as I said it will allow accurate tagging of files so the mulitchannel ones can be all mixed up with the stereo and the DSD all mixed up with the PCM..within the one music library on the NAS, yet with tagging (and selection by minimserver)...audiophiles will be able to select out just the multichannel to playback on the Oppo...or the stereo on something else. Etc etc..

Sure it's trial and error at the moment: but look where this takes us if the bugs can be sorted?!!

Now can you see why this is the future of music playback in the "Round"?

Cheers

Intuitively, I do not see a need for it (I use only MCH if it is available) but I will look into it.

Kal Rubinson