IGNORED

OPPO 103/105 Does Stereo/Multi-Channel DSD!

Interesting as I thought it was the Sabre chip playing DSD. Is MediaTek the owners of the Sabre or the Qdeo chips? Wow that's a company who apparently has some weight to throw around. Peculiar for a chip maker...

From 'Home Theater review of the 103, Nov 2012

""" The player offers two different video processing solutions. HDMI-1 is serviced by Marvell’s Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest Qdeo technology that can upscale all video sources to 4K (3840 x 2160) and can convert 2D signals to a 3D output. HDMI-2 uses a custom-made MediaTek dual-core processor. The Qdeo offers a superior video processing solution, so that’s the preferred choice for most users, with one caveat—if you have a large SACD collection and want to send the native DSD signal to a surround preamp-processor that can handle it, you should use HDMI-2 for audio because the Qdeo chip doesn’t support this output. If you use HDMI-1, the DSD is converted to PCM. ""

The Truth Is Out There

Interesting as I thought it was the Sabre chip playing DSD. Is MediaTek the owners of the Sabre or the Qdeo chips? Wow that's a company who apparently has some weight to throw around. Peculiar for a chip maker...

Partially it is. But the chipset and firmware must also support DSD, or the DSD data will never make it to the DAC.

Also, the Sabre based Oppos aren't the only ones to gain this support. The 103 is also gaining file-based DSD playback. What is presently unclear is what the implications of this are for the 93 and 95. Since they are also based upon Media Tek chips, there is a distinct possibility that these older models might gain and loose the same features (or simply lose SACD-R support) in an update.

My question is in regards to the format of these so-called "cue-sheets". Are these just simple text-files containing a list of filenames like those which are specified inside of the DSD-Disk standard?

Are you reading in the AVS forum? I have posted something to CUE-sheets and merged DSD-files there Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

You can open the CUE-sheet with help of an editor.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Are you reading in the AVS forum? I have posted something to CUE-sheets and merged DSD-files there Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

You can open the CUE-sheet with help of an editor.

I'm not a member of that forum. And I'm on too many forums already.

Could you clear something up for me though? Why would anybody want to merge DSD files if cue-sheets alone can accomplish gapless playback? Or am I misunderstanding how cue-sheets function?

Could you clear something up for me though? Why would anybody want to merge DSD files if cue-sheets alone can accomplish gapless playback? Or am I misunderstanding how cue-sheets function?

Afaik a single large (joint) audio file with an appropriate cue-sheet / track points is required for authoring an SACD or an absolutely gapless MLP DVD-Audio disc. This might be valid for CDDA and DVD/BD audio tracks.

lol, me too.

Well, I am still a newbie in CUE-sheet things. The CUE-sheet alone can not accomplish gapless playback. It needs the merged file. The sheet contains all informations to the merged file. Maybe you can recognize a bit from the pics I posted in the other forum.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

Whatever people say, think or want from the Oppo, the facts are it is an incredible universal disc player 1st and a not so great file streamer second..

So it is a fantastic disc player (with bundled on file streaming): which may or may not work according to whatever various firmware you have.. I mean they don't even have a dedicated API for IP based control via the iphone yet.. I rest my case.

Whether or not I actually currently own an Oppo is irrelevant. Been there done that before. With expensive gear that promises a lot but never delivers.

You don't need to actually own one.. I can zip around to a friends or into the store or to the dealer to find out. Or follow blogs like this or AVforums.

Anyway, if Oppo was *serious* about developing a dedicated disc less streamer and media player (like the Dune for example) they should spend some resources in doing just that. Clearly they are capable. With what we have seen with the most recent beta.

But alas they continue to spend development time and recourse on the next great Disc format and disc based video capabilities: like what we are seeing with 3D and 4g video. Yeh I understand why that is. It's called the media industry. Some of whom continue to deny the world has changed and some customers just don't want disc based playback anymore.

You want to sell the product as a media player? Then fine. Produce, develop and test the player and release it as such. But make it fully support bluray .iso, SACD .iso, gapless DLNA and seamless playback of *all* available file types PCM, DSD, stereo and surround.

But don't tempt customers with various so called "steaming capable" firmware beta releases that remain largely un-trialled, don't work properly and are potentially only going to be pulled anyway with future non beta upgrades.

Anyway. My 2 cents.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^And by "steaming" aka as streaming (haha).. i am *not* referring to playback off an attached USB disc or even via a computer connected via Asynch USB. I am referring to the well know accepted definition of streaming playback. That is via network connected NAS or computer.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

(3)Can you hook an ATV to it with HDMI and playback iTunes and Netflix content? (I answered yes)

-Paul

Hi Paul. Can you explain the benefits of doing this? Why wouldn't a user just plug the ATV straight into the receiver? Cheers

Well, I am still a newbie in CUE-sheet things. The CUE-sheet alone can not accomplish gapless playback. It needs the merged file. The sheet contains all informations to the merged file. Maybe you can recognize a bit from the pics I posted in the other forum.

Ok, that would really suck if what you say is true. Ideally one would like to have one source of DSD files which one can use for everything. But what you are saying means that one would need three different types of files to optimally support three different playback options:

1) Oppo 93/95/83/83SE/ all other SACD-R capable players = SACD-Rs from ISOs only (provides gapless playback of backed-up media)

2) Oppo 103/105 = Merged DSD files + cue-sheets (for gapless), or regular, un-merged DSD files for annoying gapped playback

3) JRiver with a DSD capable DAC = un-merged DSD files for optimal song-based access, or SACD ISOs for entire-disk access.

This could get very annoying, and extremely redundant, if you own multiple devices which you wished to play your DSD files on.

I think the 105 at least has HDMI inputs so technically the picture could be upscaled with the Qdeo chip or whatever it's being called now. I believe Oppo converts everything with its chip so everything is run through it's video engine. I believe it also allows the Oppo to act as an audio DAC (albeit over HDMI) for these devices. With like old avi's and stuff the Oppo does a pretty good job of upscaling the content although it can be a bit fuzzy depending on source.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

^ Hi Mav. Ok. No problem. But what "networking" configurations would be relevant? If UPnP worked straight out of the box with this player. (as it should) , you should just be able to browse straight into the share, find the track, click it and "presto". It would play. There is nothing you (yourself) would be able to "configure". Cheers

ok, that would really suck if what you say is true. Ideally one would like to have one source of dsd files which one can use for everything. But what you are saying means that one would need three different types of files to optimally support three different playback options:

1) oppo 93/95/83/83se/ all other sacd-r capable players = sacd-rs from isos only (provides gapless playback of backed-up media)

2) oppo 103/105 = merged dsd files + cue-sheets (for gapless), or regular, un-merged dsd files for annoying gapped playback

3) jriver with a dsd capable dac = un-merged dsd files for optimal song-based access, or sacd isos for entire-disk access.

This could get very annoying, and extremely redundant, if you own multiple devices which you wished to play your dsd files on.

exactly :)

^ Hi Mav. Ok. No problem. But what "networking" configurations would be relevant? If UPnP worked straight out of the box with this player. (as it should) , you should just be able to browse straight into the share, find the track, click it and "presto". It would play. There is nothing you (yourself) would be able to "configure". Cheers

Never mind this is totally irrelevant and no need to get the post any further off topic . I was working to establish control via IP of my Oppo and couldn't get the OPPO port assignment to work as a network gateway in my iRule app.

Thanks carry on

The Truth Is Out There

1) Oppo 93/95/83/83SE/ all other SACD-R capable players = SACD-Rs from ISOs only (provides gapless playback of backed-up media)

2) Oppo 103/105 = Merged DSD files + cue-sheets (for gapless), or regular, un-merged DSD files for annoying gapped playback

3) JRiver with a DSD capable DAC = un-merged DSD files for optimal song-based access, or SACD ISOs for entire-disk access.

There is another way since beginning of this year :)

4) NAS or whatever with the MinimServer installed and the LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player. Pretty expensive this LUMIN but that is the way I want to go. I think we will see more DSD-streamers soon.

I have the most of my DSD-files converted into PCM with the Korg AudioGate and stream these files with a Squeezebox Touch (the EDO-app installed) to my digi-amp. Sometimes I think, I should be happy with this solution. On the other hand, I like this DSD format, would like to stream it natively.

Decided to jump on board with the Oppo (again) and put my money where my mouth is.....Just ordered an Oppo 105. Will test all this out for everyone with Minimserver. :)

Now you can answer all the network configuration questions your heart desires. That box couldn't be in more capable hands-congrats! Let us know if it's the DOP thing or what have you. Remember when u elect to use dsf dff u lose sacd-r(not an issue with this unit but still...). If I could stay on my couch and not change SACDs---near nirvana. Plus it takes anything in yr home entertainment center and runs it through their audio and video engines. At least you can stream iso's from a PC into the DAC directly so the lack of iso support could be moot though it will take a bit more set up. It seems to me the 105 is a tremendous value.

Decided to jump on board with the Oppo (again) and put my money where my mouth is.....Just ordered an Oppo 105. Will test all this out for everyone with Minimserver. :)

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Now you can answer all the network configuration questions your heart desires. That box couldn't be in more capable hands-congrats! Let us know if it's the DOP thing or what have you. Remember when u elect to use dsf dff u lose sacd-r(not an issue with this unit but still...). If I could stay on my couch and not change SACDs---near nirvana. Plus it takes anything in yr home entertainment center and runs it through their audio and video engines. At least you can stream iso's from a PC into the DAC directly so the lack of iso support could be moot though it will take a bit more set up. It seems to me the 105 is a tremendous value.

Bleed, network config already resolved...

The Truth Is Out There

Good idea to buy an Oppo 105 but I fear that is what you will see (sorry for pic quality)

DSCF0530.jpg

Yes I can see MinimServer on the OPPO GUI as a local media server. When I select it and choose files to play it does nothing.. strange that the dsf files icons are shown as APE, not DSF... when I select the NAS by SMB it works perfect.

Anybody sucessfully play back dsf from MinimServer with all metadata showing?

I can confirm that. The Oppo sees the DSD-files when served from MinimServer (no matter if .dff or .dsf) as APE-files. Though the MinimServer doesn`t support that format.

^OK. Thanks for that. Understood. But the more that try and fix this..the better...

^ Just what is an "APE" file? According to Oppo, supported audio formats include FLAC, WAV, APE and MP3. So APE is in there, just not DSD APE? Confused? So am I.....

^ Just what is an "APE" file? According to Oppo, supported audio formats include FLAC, WAV, APE and MP3. So APE is in there, just not DSD APE? Confused? So am I.....

What is APE? APE Audio File Format Description APE is another lossless format but has nothing to do with the DSD-files. Simon was surprised about the APE icons. The MinimServer doesn`t support that format.