IGNORED

OPPO 103/105 Does Stereo/Multi-Channel DSD!

Remember that DSD support for the Oppo is in beta stage. It is not an official firmware update. You donwload and use it at your own risk. DLNA support for DSD is not right at the moment. Hopefully when the official firmware with official support for DSD comes along, we will have full support for DSD over DLNA. Either natively or through DoP-E. Also, support for DoP for the USB input is expected to happen as well.

As far as HDMI is concerned, you can't send DSD over HDMI from a laptop to the Oppo. Not because the HDMI standard does not support it, but because there is no official support for it on the drivers for the video controller which manages the HDMI port on most laptops and video cards. It is primarily a hardware/driver issue from the computer manufacturers.

[h=2]Don't follow me, I am lost too![/h]

- Unknown

Remember that DSD support for the Oppo is in beta stage.

They have released a new stable firmware a couple of days ago. It seems they were in a hurry to remove the SACD-R playback ability. So let`s "spam" the Oppo-support with requests to DSD and UPnP ;)

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

^ Yeh. I've got the 105 upgraded to the new firmware now. Sure. But as you and others have said the inability to stream DSD via UPnP is pretty annoying. I get the same "APE" file as well. Still. As others have said you can do it via SMB > First time I've actually streamed a DSD file, so that's pretty cool. Step one I guess...

On the whole the Oppo 105 is a pretty neat piece of kit. You get *alot* for the money :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Actually I think Oppo has final arrived in computer audiophile land with this "player"..the 105. It's pretty darn versatile..with all the older "disc" transport capabilities thrown in for free! Remember those? haha . Still, sonically it's pretty darn impressive. And no fan noise either. Gotta luvvvv that! This alone puts it right up there in the hifi category. Not to mention all the other goodies in this player..A worthy member for the CA CASH "recommended" list if you ask me :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Guys...for SMB playback, could I just ask what you are doing about track order? When I open my folder, tracks appear in some sort of random order. ie 03, 04, 08, 01 09, 02.... etc. How are you getting around this problem? Cheers

For gapless playback and tracks in the right order:

The Oppo accepts the CUE-sheets, so I have gapless and the songs are in the right order.

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

^ O yeh. Cue sheets. Thanks. Luvin the 105. In pure Audio mode out via those dedicated stereo analog outs. Similar Sabre DAC to the Invicta...and Oppo have chosen filter pretty right as well. Sure you don't get a "choice"..but heck the 105 is just a 1K "all in one"..right? Geez..it's not half bad as a stereo player either..and for 1K!!! Bargain...Who said a simple movie player couldn't double up as "hifi"? :)

Ok. Now having played around with this setup a while now... there is no doubt DSD and multichannel DSD can be streamed without PCM conversion and played out via the Oppo. No doubt at all. Doing it right now via SMB :) But as Holzohr says, within the track organisational confinements and limitations of his/her setup with CUE sheets.. Without the QUE sheet arrangements, tracks are in a random order. Now if you switch to playing back the files using a UPnP server like Minimserver or Twonky? Yes you can see the tracks, but neither media server will "serve" the track to the Oppo. Yes. This is absolutely Oppo's issue I feel. No difference between the server... Twonky won't play them either. Actaully you can't even see DSD tracks in Twonky. As Holzohr has stated they don't playback at all. So all up, this is a very *beta* experience right now for an audiophile. Can I be so bold as to suggest it's really an alpha firmware experience. This is *not* sorted as far as Oppo is concerned. It's a bit cheeky of Oppo to say the 105 is capable of DSD playback. Sure it's "capable". But is it "practical"? I assure you all, certainly when streaming from a NAS: It really is not .. :)

Anyway interested to hear how you set up SMB on the Oppo.

Bleed, the SMB share just appears in the list of available shares under the "Network" tab on the Oppo GUI. It is just "there"..You don't have to set up anything... it just appears like magic. You have to password in and all, but once that's done it's very robust. Frankly way more robust than UPnP. Sure it's not as cool and sexy as using a UPnP media server..and in the long run less versatile because you can't use something like your bubble solution or PlugPlayer etc.. or use the really cool tagging features that are appearing in Minimserver... but at least it works. SMB is very robust, because it is taking that third party UPnP stuff out of the playback equation. It's one less thing to stuff up and go wrong. I just wish Oppo could include some sort of "inbuilt" QUE sheet in future firmware (like H's solution above) to make SMB playback a bit more practical. I'd actually be happy with just using SMB if they did that.....

Sorry for all the above posts, but for simple audiofools like me, (who might be "foolish" enough to be following this little thread) I thought I'd post a kinda summary: Please those in the know correct me if I'm wrong:

VIA SMB: Yes it works. But tracks are listed in the incorrect order. Just like they are on a USB attached storage device. This can be rectified by supplying the Oppo info on CUE sheets. These are additional bits of code telling the Oppo how to playback the files and need to be embedded right now by the user and placed onto the attachable storage or on the NAS SMB "share" The QUE sheet approach seems to be the only way to "force" the Oppo to playback gapless. Oppo has not got the QUE sheet process easy for simple Audiofools. This can get rather complicated and very time consuming very quickly. A huge issue for those with large libraries.

VIA UPnP: No it doesn't work for DSD. APE files appear in the menu of the media server. This appears to be a firmware issue on behalf of Oppo. But oh boy does it work for Multichannel WAV, and FLAC> Yeh you can get clicks between tracks, but it works. And here is the rub and where it gets exciting..., because you can see the potential and benefits of the UPnP playback approach. Because a UPnP media server sorts the track order issue for you. No QUE sheets needed. The downside of this approach, I am lead to believe is you won't ever get gapless playback via UPnP. Is this correct? Anyway you also get a real simple way of adding your own tags (if Minimserver is used) And wait there is more. You get to use great additional software for controlling the Oppo and playback. Software like BubbleUPnP or what I'm trying : Plug Player. With PP, suddenly you get to control playback to the Oppo via an Iphone or OSX. How cool is that!!!

VIA asynch USB. (only available on the 105) say via Foobar or JRiver. Stereo playback yes. Multichannel no. Oppo doesn't support multichannel playback via that USB interface.

VIA SMB: Yes it works. But tracks are listed in the incorrect order.

Great summary. Strange that my case is NetGear NAS (ReadyNAS Duo v2) shows tracks in the incorrect order but Buffalo NAS (LS-X2.0TL) shows tracks in the correct order. Don't Know Why...

Great summary. Strange that my case is NetGear NAS (ReadyNAS Duo v2) shows tracks in the incorrect order but Buffalo NAS (LS-X2.0TL) shows tracks in the correct order. Don't Know Why...

wow.. Now that *is* interesting!

If you guys could see how simple it is to stream Pandora straight to the 105..right into that fabulous Sabre DAC and out via the Oppo's analog outs....hear how great this sounds and see how easy it is to do this.. you would also realise Oppo needs one other (missing) path for DSD playback. Oppo DSD radio. :)

Further. My tracks on a SDXC card plugged into the front USB port are in the correct order... They were created in exactly the same same way. And sit in the very same folder. For some reason the Oppo doesn't read the 01 02 03 track no. when the files are on my QNAP.. interesting... :)

Oppo says they know about the track order "bug" within SMB shares and are looking at fixing this in future firmware. :)

Of course one would still need some sort of CUE sheet arrangement like H's "solution" above to get around the problem of a lack of generic gapless playback...

Oppo says they know about the track order "bug" within SMB shares and are looking at fixing this in future firmware.

... and what did Oppo say to DSD-files and UPnP server (MinimServer) support?

^ "DSD cannot be played via DLNA/UPnP" Reason: "SMB must be used for DSD playback as the player needs to mount the file, something that is not available when using DLNA/UPnP."

In other words is this fixable? The player can mount files surely... As an example it used to mount BluRay .iso.....(until this was removed in software )..

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, we are so close to the perfect player, if Oppo can just get their act together and sort this UPNP issue! Those that want Gapless playback of "Albums"? Well just Merge the tracks into the one "Albumn" (file) using something like H's method.. and you will be sweet..

Come on Oppo sort this!

There is a new Beta firmware OPPO BDP-103/105 Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update with added support for a Media app (only for iPad/iPad Mini at the moment). The app looks nice but I have to wait for the Beta for Europe to test it.

BTW, 2L now has free multichannel DSD (10 files, converted from DXD but nice quality regardless) on its test bench.

High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services .:. FLAC in free TEST BENCH

Ted. Obviously as you say these original DXD surround recordings from 2L have been "converted" (ahhh all right!) anyway, Now I know like me, you are man who believes if it's DSD let em hear DSD and if it's PCM let em hear PCM... so which do you think would be the better "conversion" with these DXD surround tracks from 2L ? the conversion from DXD to PCM 5.1 FLAC. Or DXD to DSD 5.1? Cheers Wap

Has anybody got a Link to Kal's full review on SFile? Is it out yet? Cheers?

Cool. What edition?