IGNORED

Best Led Zeppelin Masters

Maaaan! I wish you ask this question yesterday!!! ... I too am refreshing my Zep and just ordered the Euro version of the 1990 "Remasters" to hear how they sound.

Amazon.com: Remasters: Led Zeppelin: Music

They measure well according the Unofficial DR Database site.

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=led&sort=year&order=asc

I will watch this thread with interest.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

I have always heard the Barry Diament masters are the best, and owning a few, I can agree. I prefer them over the Jimmy Page remasters.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

I'm very happy with the original 2 disc CD set of remasters by Jimmy Page (1990, I think). It isn't heavily compressed - disc one averaged a DR of 11, and Disc 2 averaged 12, with some songs as high as 14.

I also have the 1987 CD of Houses of the Holy. Average DR is 12, again with at least one song (The Rain Song) measured at 14

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

You can't go wrong with these Japanese pressings. Got Mothership a while ago and the SQ is top.

SOURCES| Lindemann 825, Lindemann 820S ● MacBook Pro 2010 ◊ Audirvana Plus ● Acoustic Signature Storm ◊ SME IV ◊ Sumiko Blackbird

AMPS| Lindemann 830, Lindemann 858 ● Graham Slee Revelation

SPEAKERS| KEF Reference 205

SUB| REL Gibraltar G1

POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER| Nordost Thor

CABLING| Nordost: Valhalla XLR, Valhalla Speaker Cable + Valhalla Jumpers, Vishnu & Shiva ● Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB Cable Split Configuration ● Furutech: Lineflux XLR, Silver Arrows ● Oyaide Tunami GPX-R, Tunami GPX ● Klotz XLR to RCA

You could wait. They are supposed to be released as high res this year but Page will be doing the masters. If you like what he has done then they should be an improvement over what's out there if the tapes are in good shape. Everyone seems to like Barry D.s work though myself I prefer some of the old r2r IPS. IV sounds great but there is a much higher noise floor but very detailed and obviously analog sounding! Think there were reel to reels up to HOTH. You can't go wrong with the 180 gr vinyl but I prefer reel to reel. Of course you gotta look for them or know someone.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Bleedink, where did you get your info about the hi res Zeppelin and how likely do you think this is going to happen? If done properly, it would be a momentous occasion for me. I have the Remasters and I think they sound pretty good but I think most of my Zep cd's are not that great (I'm not sure if their Diament's or not as they are buried in a box somewhere). For instance, my ITTOD sounds like crap, but hey it's Zeppelin (although some Zep fans don't consider this album Zeppelin) and I think crappy sounding Zeppelin is better than just about anything else.

I saw an article on it here:Rolling Stone Mobile - News - Music: Jimmy Page Digs Up 'Substantial' Rarities for New Led Zeppelin Remasters

There is some concern they may be released as surround by some of the folks on the SH forums. It's definitely coming.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

You can't go wrong with these Japanese pressings. Got Mothership a while ago and the SQ is top.

It should be noted that the current in-print titles in Japan (SHM-CDs included) are based on the 1994 masters by George Marino and Jimmy Page. In comparison to the previously mentioned Barry Diament masters, the 1994 masters are a tad bright. That said, however, some may find the earlier Diament masters as being a tad dull. IMHO, the ideal sounding Zeppelin masters would fall somewhere in between the two, but based on what is currently available, the Diament pressings are the better choice. Although they are out-of-print, the Japanese Diament pressings are generally available on eBay for reasonable prices, as long as you stick with the 2nd issues (20P2 series, etc).

Also worth noting that Barry Diament did not do the mastering of the original versions of IV, but it is still a great sounding disc.

As for the Mothership compilation, that's in a league by itself...the compression league, that is!!! A tad on the hot side...:)

None...

I own the Shm Cds. I slightly prefer them to the original discs, but if you are going to add them to the hard drive, whatever imaginary advantage I may be hearing with the Shm cds on a spinner is likely going to be lost, or so I presume.

There are some needle drops out there that may provide a better alternative.

For the albums, I also like the Barry Diament, Joe Sidore CDs.

The best mastering and the best sounding Led Zep on CD I have heard (and own) is the 3 CD set Warner Bros. Retro Active RA-003 (limited edition of 2500 copies). Mastered by Dave Collins in 2001 as a promotional for LZ to the film industry. Cameron Crowe was involved, but I don't know the exact reason. It's in a box with some nice black and white photos.

Comes up on eBay every now and again in the $100-$150 range. I would not pay more than that.

A very fine set - if you can get away from the album feel, which is hard for some.

Regards,

Geoff

Avoid the CDs, and most of the vinyls..

Theres a 7 1/2 ips Reel To Reel collection of alot of their stuff. Thats what you should be hunting for, some really nice rips at 24/96 with generally decent a/d equipment have been done. Its got a bit of a noise floor but if you look past that its far more dynamic and detailed than the other offerings. Look around, Im surprised no one else has mentioned them.

Mac Pro 2x 2.66 Dual Core Xenon's - 8GB RAM - 5TB Storage - 1.5tb iTunes Library (Grows 20GB a week or so now, sometimes up to 100GB) - Amarra - Fidelia - PureMusic - Custom DAC - Dual NAD 2600 Amps - Dahlquist D86.3/II Floorstandings

Hi jtwrace,

Not all by any means. But a good sample. ;-}

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Well, OK. I was trying to give some props....making sure that people know you're not some "one off" engineer. :-) The fact is that most people have heard your work whether they realize it or not.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

• 4 weeks later...
My go-to digital Zeppelin files are the 24/192 ones I digitized from my vinyl albums.

Yep, true. Best digital version remains the Diament/Sidore one's. I am interested what the new 2013 Deluxe Edition brings... (Hope dies last)

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Then you have the best digital Zep by far available at this point.

I was surprised at how good they sound. And I didn't use any fancy A-D converters, just the computer soundcard (Asus Xonar Essence ST). I should do more records, but it's so damn boring... :)

Yep, true. Best digital version remains the Diament/Sidore one's. I am interested what the new 2013 Deluxe Edition brings... (Hope dies last)

Being such a high-profile catalogue, I'm sure there will be enormous pressures to make it sound "modern". So call me a cynic but I don't expect much from this.

Being such a high-profile catalogue, I'm sure there will be enormous pressures to make it sound "modern". So call me a cynic but I don't expect much from this.

I am the same opinion as you, but as I wrote the hope dies last....

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.