IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

Bravo, Chris on coming up with such a flexible set of designs!

I agree. Bravo.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I agree. Bravo.

And to top it off, finding companies to assemble it for you if you are not so inclined!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Hi Chris,

I'm wondering if you think that these all-in-one music servers with internal storage are being compromised in terms of sound quality because they do have these spinning internal hard drives? You mentioned that additional storage such as extra SSD cards and spinning hard drives can be added to the Carbon server, but I would like to see a "reference design" with say 2 - 3TB hard drives (one for music storage and one as a back-up) and a 64GB SSD for the OS. That way, I could just purchase it canned from Small Green Computer, since I am not much into assembly or modding. I am most interested in the Aurender, but at $7k and with future planned models being even more expensive, it is out of my budget. I assume that a a good portion of the cost of the Aurender is due to it's proprietary OS.

BTW, Small Green Computer does not seem to be selling the Carbon model yet.

I like the idea of having all the media on a spinning drive that is in another room from the player. I often sell a VortexBox Appliance along with a CAPS for this. I could put a 3TB drive in the CAPS with a SOtM SATA filter but you would be able to hear the spinning drive. That is not ideal for a media server.

I think a VortexBox or some other NAS is the best solution.

As for the Carbon that case is not available in the US yet. But I will offer the Carbon in another case if somebody can't wait.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

Nice job on this one, Chris! I was hoping you'd give one of those bigger cases a shot in either the Carbon or Zuma. I was looking at them on the website and thinking they'd make a great enclosure with lots of space for internal storage., and now I'm definitely going to try that. I didn find it interesting that you said the case for the Zuma though is different... I wonder what you went with? Guess I'll be seeing soon enough~

Oh, and I was wondering if there's any way to make an Aurender S10 style system where you have 2 HDDs in raid (for data security) and then one ~128Gb SSD with Windows 8, JPlay, Fidelizer, and JRMC on it and then have the queued playlist from JRMC mirrored onto the SSD when playing? I really think that would be a nice approach. I know you can just play from RAM and get a similar, if not better, effect, but I was really wondering if there's a way to mimic that setup?

Also, I've been wondering for a long time what the display on the front of the old C.A.P.S. v2 OrigenAE M10 case can display? Does it only say "Hello HTPC", or can it for example scroll song name or other meta data?

Thanks Chris. Funnily enough a friend of mine and I had been working on a similar setup, having explored the Bryston product, before stumbling on your write-up and the replies above. We, though, are interested in feeding an external DAC (such as the Theta Casablanca) over AES/EBU or S/PDIF (and hence the interest in the Bryston with its Juli@ card which allows one to toss the potentially polluting analogue section/DAC). Coincidentally, we had decided on the same Streacom case that was linked to above. The motherboard, sound card, enclosure and software side (assuming paying up for Windows and JRiver) is relatively easy; a good linear power design is the hard part and, in my view, utterly critical. Hence the question regarding power requirements. I'm interested in determining a max load with plenty of headroom for a system running a connected SSD and a few attached USB drives.

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

Thanks for the unhelpful comment 4est :~|

Yes, the recommended PSU is more than enough power for CAPS v3 Topanga, Lagoon, and Carbon. CAPS servers don't draw more than 25 watts. I doubt the BDP-1 draws anywhere near the max capability of its PSU.

Thanks Chris. Funnily enough a friend of mine and I had been working on a similar setup, having explored the Bryston product, before stumbling on your write-up and the replies above. We, though, are interested in feeding an external DAC (such as the Theta Casablanca) over AES/EBU or S/PDIF (and hence the interest in the Bryston with its Juli@ card which also allows one to toss the potentially polluting analogue section/DAC). Coincidentally, we had decided on the same Streacom case that was linked to above. The motherboard, sound card, enclosure and software side (assuming one pays up for Windows and JRiver) is relatively easy; a good linear power design is harder and, in my view, utterly critical. Hence the question regarding power requirements. I'm interested in determining a max load with plenty of headroom for a system running a connected SSD and a few attached USB drives. I guess I should track down one of those strips and do some testing.

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

Thanks Chris. Funnily enough a friend of mine and I had been working on a similar setup, having explored the Bryston product, before stumbling on your write-up and the replies above. We, though, are interested in feeding an external DAC (such as the Theta Casablanca) over AES/EBU or S/PDIF (and hence the interest in the Bryston with its Juli@ card which allows one to toss the potentially polluting analogue section/DAC). Coincidentally, we had decided on the same Streacom case that was linked to above. The motherboard, sound card, enclosure and software side (assuming paying up for Windows and JRiver) is relatively easy; a good linear power design is the hard part and, in my view, utterly critical. Hence the question regarding power requirements. I'm interested in determining a max load with plenty of headroom for a system running a connected SSD and a few attached USB drives.

I am sorry if my statement seemed dismissive or rude before. In part my comment was associated with the extra power required by the card and drives you mentioned. Furthermore, if one is to keep attaching items to the same battery pack, they will in essence be corrupting that battery supply as well as one would with any other by modulating the load with the different items. I imagine one can add SOtM sata filters, but I am not convinced taht something like that is completely immune/perfectly filtered. That also does not take into account that the total load should not reach maximum with any power supply as that just begs for additional ripple and other impedence related issues. I imagine it would be best if one were to have a separate power supply per load, but that would get darn expensive.

Forrest:

Apologies for the double post above. For some reason my browser was refusing to refresh this page and it seemed to me as though my post wasn't made.

4est, you might be interested in reading this thread CAPS 2 audio server high performance linear multi-rail power supply. I can't help but think that separate linear power for everything, all on separate rails, is a bit overkill albeit the best thing from a purist perspective. I note that Bryston has separate power for main versus standby but that would appear to be all although I've not seen photos of under the hood of a BDP-2. For now, I will play with a single linear PSU for the design I'm fiddling with (at the same time waiting for delivery of my BDP-2).

JJJ: Overkill? Maybe...

In analog, power supplies are directly related to sonics, and there is no such thing as going too far. The better (best?) gear will have separate power supplies for each gain stage and possibly for each channel there of. The more involved with digital I become, the more I see it similar to analog in many aspects. I feel that bits are bits for the most part, but along with them rides the power supply noise(s) that for some reason impart a signature upon the latter conversion.

I am not sure of the actual cause, but it may be something as likened to a moving coil gain stage where the PS noise is equal to and added into that stage's output only to be further amplified. Jitter seems to be the single biggest issue in conversions. Clocks play an important role in that, and they are very sensitive to power supplies and proximity. Put most simply, I no longer take anything digital for granted. It is digital, but still subject to the laws of physics.

Many software/IT professionals seem to take bits and check sums for granted, and it often leads into these circular arguments based on assumptions and disbelief. Considering the net cost of my system, spending extra money to assure more isolation seems money well spent. My next server will incorporate this type of thinking...

Forrest:

Thanks again Chris - I'm curious.. "The sound quality from the CAPS v3 Carbon server is equal to or better than the best servers I've heard in recent memory. ... " I assume that includes the Aurender W10 which I know you own and treasure...

Have any hi-fi guests or other reviewers had the opportunity yet to verify this impression? It's not that I doubt your opinion, only that there may be a little bias towards your own creation which would be natural after all...

Various >i2s> NAD M2 > Quad 2905s

Does the SOtM card work with the Empirical Audio Offramps now that it's a Windows 8 environment?

Roon + HQ Player; Trinnov Altitude32; Bricasti M3 with Ethernet and headphone amp; Pro Audio Technology 28212ai active speakers and amps plus four 15" subs; MSB Reference DAC wi/ Digital Director; Antipodes K50 server; MadVR video processing with JVC NZ9 projector; Kii3 + Control in another room; Accourate, Trinnov, and Dirac bass management and room correction; extensive RPG room treatment; HifiMan and Focal cans; Decware Taboo Mk3; 20 amp hospital grade UPS; EtherRegen, Sonore Empirical Audio and SOTM, all on LPS, feeding DACs

Thanks again Chris - I'm curious.. "The sound quality from the CAPS v3 Carbon server is equal to or better than the best servers I've heard in recent memory. ... " I assume that includes the Aurender W10 which I know you own and treasure...

Have any hi-fi guests or other reviewers had the opportunity yet to verify this impression? It's not that I doubt your opinion, only that there may be a little bias towards your own creation which would be natural after all...

Hi dpaws - Yes, this includes the W10. However the servers are really two different animals. Comparisons on items other than sound quality are all subjective and individual to everyone as you know.

A couple things about the CAPS designs. 1. I don't make any money from them so I have a bit more freedom to talk about what's good and bad about it etc... Plus, I just couldn't publish a design that I wouldn't use and that didn't make me happy. 2. At such a cheap price anyone can afford one to test or borrow from someone who has made one.

But as you say I can't ignore any bias I may have because it's my own creation.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I am most interested in the Aurender, but at $7k and with future planned models being even more expensive, it is out of my budget. I assume that a a good portion of the cost of the Aurender is due to it's proprietary OS.

I thought it uses Linux?! If I am right, that means it cannot be proprietary :-)

Cheers,

Peter

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

As for the Carbon that case is not available in the US yet. But I will offer the Carbon in another case if somebody can't wait.

I was made aware of a case made in the US (!) for HTPC. They looked fantastic and would fit right in next to most anyone's megabux amp or DAC. Some of the models included heat sinks/pipes for use with hi-powered 'boards. I can't recall the manufacturer but one of their principles used to post here. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Ripping good build, Mr. Connaker!

In the ripping enabled mode you alluded to in this latest C.A.P.S article, this seems like just the device for those of us who have no Windows PC, but would like to follow your rational ripping methodologies. How would we configure such a device/OS to put it into an efficient daily routine of ripping (unattended?), library management, and critical listening? I'll go ahead and assume the addition of a Nimbie type device for efficient processing of CDs, possibly an external Blu-ray drive for the occasional Blu-ray/DVD-A/DVD audio extraction, and a monitor (or maybe just an iPhone?). Pros/Cons/Ideas?

JC - Boulder, CO

I was made aware of a case made in the US (!) for HTPC. They looked fantastic and would fit right in next to most anyone's megabux amp or DAC. Some of the models included heat sinks/pipes for use with hi-powered 'boards. I can't recall the manufacturer but one of their principles used to post here. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Sounds like you're describing HDPlex.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Will SGC be offering a CAPS carbon Kit? Even without the case..given the original Carbon case is not available? Thanks

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Eloise

Which HDplex would suit the CAPS3 Carbon build Eloise? The H 5.5? And with what Power supply>?

Thanks

JJJ: Overkill? Maybe...

Don't get me wrong. You and I are coming at this from the same perspective. What I meant by potential overkill was having each rail completely isolated a la Paul Hynes's unit. I'm probably going to try to adapt a linear power supply Jaehong Lee offers for the Oppo 93/103 player. It supplies 5V, 5V and +/-15V (the first 2 powering the Oppo's digital stages while the second powers the analogue board). I have to believe this can be readily adapted to drive a USB board, SSD and main motherboard, respectively.

[h=2]I just finished building my CAPS v3 and installing windows. Everything is as expected thus far except the video performance. I'm thinking it has to be a driver issue.. It's not that it doesnt play HD video, but it lags significantly on just the windows 8 GUI [/h]

I'm using the Intel dn2800mt

4GB crucial ddr3 (1 stick)

32GB Crucial Msata drive

Current Resolution is 1920x1080

If I lower the resolution to 1368x7XX it gets a little better

Intel doesn't appear to have a windows 8 driver for this video, only windows 7 which is what I had to install. I'm wondering is anyone has this problem with windwos 7 too? Updated to latest bios aswell

Any help is appreciated

Eloise

Well, the name didn't sound familiar but, yes, that's the one. Thanks!

HDPLEX Fanless Computer Case

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Which HDplex would suit the CAPS3 Carbon build Eloise? The H 5.5? And with what Power supply>?

Thanks

I don't actually have any experience with the HDPlex cases - just suggesting that's what was being described.

From their website I think the H5.S would be the closest to the CAPS case described above.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.