IGNORED

Cubox any one?

zerung

So I could run something like JRiver on my PC, network the Cubox and hang a USB HD off of it with my music loaded and then connect the Cubox via USB to my DAC and replace my current setup of PC w/external USB HD > Squeezebox > DAC? Or would the music player SW have to reside on the Cubox?

So I could run something like JRiver on my PC, network the Cubox and hang a USB HD off of it with my music loaded and then connect the Cubox via USB to my DAC and replace my current setup of PC w/external USB HD > Squeezebox > DAC? Or would the music player SW have to reside on the Cubox?

I don't know anything about J River. I'm of course using my own player and my own software module in CuBox. In my case CuBox has only a small software module to receive bare audio output stream from player somewhere else in the network.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I've dedicated my CuBox to serve as a network audio adapter with minimal OS. Streaming PCM/DSD audio from player and CuBox just adding a network interface to the DAC.

Please elaborate the precise set up.

How have you set up the cubox as a network audio adaptor?

What player? (I'm thinking of using Minimserver)

What network interface to the DAC are you using?

Cheers

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Please elaborate the precise set up.

How have you set up the cubox as a network audio adaptor?

What player? (I'm thinking of using Minimserver)

What network interface to the DAC are you using?

From player ethernet in to the CuBox and USB out to the DAC. My own player running on various different computers on the network.

Now I have two such adapters on the network, one CuBox and another one already before based on BeagleBone. CuBox is just even smaller of these two.

Ok..so we could get an Oppo 103 or 105 multichannel up and running that way?.. it has asynch 2.0 USB.. and new firmware supports DSD... folks are having trouble streaming direct to the Oppo...

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^hahaha you crack me up ;)

• 1 month later...
I'm finally getting a Cubox Pro. This thing looks like it could be terrific.

Following these posts with interest, but I'm not sure I understand the enthusiasm. To me, it just appears to be a terribly underpowered Linux-capable gadget - what benefit would this provide vs., say, a current Win8 box or Mac Mini? Besides being a bit smaller, that is, though my Mini already practically vanishes in my equipment rack ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Following these posts with interest, but I'm not sure I understand the enthusiasm. To me, it just appears to be a terribly underpowered Linux-capable gadget - what benefit would this provide vs., say, a current Win8 box or Mac Mini? Besides being a bit smaller, that is, though my Mini already practically vanishes in my equipment rack ;)

My interest in devices like this would be to run Squeezelite (a software version of a Squeezebox) or a UPnP renderer in a second/third room system.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

A very kind CA member devoted some time to helping me get MPD working on a $45 board on its own linux distro. I got it working with an Async Class 1 USB Audio DAC, playing 24/96 files AND 24/192 files on a Class 2 device too, and fine at that. A further announcement and build instructions is expected be posted by him.

My interest in devices like this would be to run Squeezelite (a software version of a Squeezebox) or a UPnP renderer in a second/third room system.

Eloise

OK, I could see that. I was thinking only in terms of a main system, and really couldn't for the life of me understand why one would want one of these instead of a more-powerful machine, other than for the novelty factor.

Now you're making me want one ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

A very kind CA member devoted some time to helping me get MPD working on a $45 board on its own linux distro. I got it working with an Async Class 1 USB Audio DAC, playing 24/96 files AND 24/192 files on a Class 2 device too, and fine at that. A further announcement and build instructions is expected be posted by him.

The Cubix looks like a nice option. Three years ago when I first came across this forum, I wanted to use a GlobalScale GuruPlug which had a very similar spec to the Cubix. Unfortunately hardware and software wise the GuruPlug was a bit of a mess and I didn't find it was worth using in my main system. These new small boards and devices seem to be better designed than the GuruPlug.

k-man is talking about the BeagleBone Black board that we've both been trying out. The BeagleBone doesn't come with a case or power supply. But apart from those two features, if you want to build a network based (ie using a NAS) MPD server, then there is no advantage in the Cubix IMHO. I've ordered a linear power supply for my BeagleBone (I would think the Cubix power supply is switched). The Cubix has a plastic case and I'm looking out for a nice metal case for my BeagleBone as I don't want a plastic one, but there isn't actually a metal BeagleBone available yet like the Cool Trays one for the Raspberry Pi. The extra USB ports and SATA on the Cubix are nice, but I'm come to the opinion that it is best to not attach a local disk to these small devices and to only have a single DAC as a USB device and use an ethernet connection for everything else.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

OK, I could see that. I was thinking only in terms of a main system, and really couldn't for the life of me understand why one would want one of these instead of a more-powerful machine, other than for the novelty factor.

Now you're making me want one ;)

I'm looking at it as a possible renderer. Could be really neat.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Guys - I assume this device would be very useful with a Cubox? Removable eSATA USB SATA HDD Enclosure | StarTech.com United Kingdom

The PC only sees one external drive regardless of the raid setting - you can have Raid 1 or Raid 0.

It sprang to mind because it allows connection via the eSata port which should keep the data traffic off the USB hub - it also has an external power supply so another tick there... what do you think?

I own one of these, it runs with 2 x 480GB SSD drives feeding my NAD M50 via the USB input (sadly no eSata available) although less critical for the USB bus as my digital out is via SPDIF (AES) rather than USB...

Various >i2s> NAD M2 > Quad 2905s

Another thought - is there a Vortexbox boot up software option available? I understand that Squeezebox sadly has had its day thanks to the boffins at Logitech BUT there are some excellent and well proven remote control apps available for the Squeezebox/iOS system (iPeng and Squeezepad for example)

Various >i2s> NAD M2 > Quad 2905s

• 2 weeks later...
From player ethernet in to the CuBox and USB out to the DAC. My own player running on various different computers on the network.

Now I have two such adapters on the network, one CuBox and another one already before based on BeagleBone. CuBox is just even smaller of these two.

Miska, CuBox vs BeagleBone, which would be the best performance wise for a PCM Hi-rez player?

Did you noticed any diferences?

Miska, CuBox vs BeagleBone, which would be the best performance wise for a PCM Hi-rez player?

Did you noticed any diferences?

CuBox is best for connecting USB DACs, good ethernet interface, good USB interface and ready made nice and small case is good. Disabling all extra hardware like GPU keeps electrical noise low. I have a CuBox + hiFace DAC in the living room, connected to a tube amp, running at fixed 384/32 rate.

For embedding ethernet capability into DIY DAC, BeagleBone (white or black) is best option. BeagleBone is also easy to power from various kinds of custom PSUs (battery or linear).

CuBox is best for connecting USB DACs, good ethernet interface, good USB interface and ready made nice and small case is good. Disabling all extra hardware like GPU keeps electrical noise low. I have a CuBox + hiFace DAC in the living room, connected to a tube amp, running at fixed 384/32 rate.

For embedding ethernet capability into DIY DAC, BeagleBone (white or black) is best option. BeagleBone is also easy to power from various kinds of custom PSUs (battery or linear).

Hello evryone :)

Where I can get a proper Wheezy distro for my Cubox Pro?

I would like to use it with you HQPlayer and MPD!

thanks,

y.

A question for others: apart from the cute format and existing support, is there any reason to think a Cubox (pro) would be any better than dual or quad wandboard?

I have all three. It really depends on what you want to do with them. The SPDIF on the Dual is wired incorrectly. The SPDIF port on the Cubox only works with very specific cables that fit into the recessed port (why Solid Run sells SPDIF cables). The QUAD is simply great.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png