IGNORED

Cubox any one?

zerung

My interest in devices like this would be to run Squeezelite (a software version of a Squeezebox) or a UPnP renderer in a second/third room system.

Here => Community Squeeze

The image is for wanboard but I think you can use it on any armfh device (make the memory card bootable for your arm device and copy the skeleton on top - the difference between the 2 images is the kernel)

Usually the gapless need is in the context of a complete "work" and "edition" such as the classic example of DSOM. In that case, on the same edition, there is no need of changing sampling rate.

Yes, I just wanted to be explicit about the conditions needed when source files have varying sampling rate...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

All I know on the Oppo is the USB is Async. No idea if it will take more than 24/192 stereo actually..

In any case, Miska there is not point me using HQplayer in the setup you recommend unless it can play a UPnP share.

Because I can get the Oppo to share directly via SMB..

UPnP is a 100% requirement for your player IMHO.. because it opens it up to more useful library management.... (as you well know)

Is it possible you could somehow do this? A MinimServer<>HQPlayer setup would totally rock the socks of JRiver :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

UPnP is a 100% requirement for your player IMHO.. because it opens it up to more useful library management.... (as you well know)

Did you try the HQPlayer 3 new GUI (fullscreen mode) with a touch screen?

One problem I have with many UPnP systems is that they fail to combine unified view of content from multiple different physical locations. So for example if I want to see unified view of two SMB servers and two local HDD's, it's usually out of question and have to browse one by one.

I have content at multiple servers and don't want to remember what was where...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 2 weeks later...
Bought a CuBox just for fun and installed Voyage MPD (MuBox) on it. Ran the system for a few days on various DSD DACs with no major issues. Seemed to do a respectable job.

- Jim

I hope the Voyage guys can port Mubox over to the new imx6 arm designs of the new Cubox i versions. Looks like Cubox and Cubox pro are going away.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I just looked at the Cubox i versions again and saw the following asterisk note.

(*) 1000Mbps link is limited to 470Mbps actual bandwidth due to internal chip busses limitation

Do you guys think the Ethernet and the USB ports are sharing a chip like the Raspberry Pi? 470 just seems too close to the 480 USB 2 theoretical max. Throw in some overhead and 470 may be wishful thinking. I'm just concerned about USB DAC performance. I think the RPi USB performance is terrible.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I just looked at the Cubox i versions again and saw the following asterisk note.

(*) 1000Mbps link is limited to 470Mbps actual bandwidth due to internal chip busses limitation

Do you guys think the Ethernet and the USB ports are sharing a chip like the Raspberry Pi? 470 just seems too close to the 480 USB 2 theoretical max. Throw in some overhead and 470 may be wishful thinking. I'm just concerned about USB DAC performance. I think the RPi USB performance is terrible.

The Cubox ethernet doesn't use the USB bus like the Raspberry Pi, and the 470 bps limit is due to limits in another internal bus. For audio that seems plenty of bandwidth to me. There was some discussion about the ethernet implementation in a recent Slashdot article:

Tiny $45 Cubic Mini-PC Supports Android and Linux - Slashdot

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Excellent.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Love it!

You even have the same hair as Mr Burns :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Is this (blog post on cubox) still "forthcoming"?

Also, do you have any views on a good PSU for the Cubox?

Maybe in awhile but not anytime soon. Solid Run changed it entire product line suddenly. I received an email from the company urging me to write about the CuBox Pro, then the product pretty much disappeared. The company is now pushing its i series of CuBoxes. The new ones should be excellent but I'm a bit gun shy to create an in depth guide for a product that may disappear so soon.

Maybe in awhile but not anytime soon. Solid Run changed it entire product line suddenly. I received an email from the company urging me to write about the CuBox Pro, then the product pretty much disappeared. The company is now pushing its i series of CuBoxes. The new ones should be excellent but I'm a bit gun shy to create an in depth guide for a product that may disappear so soon.

Good point...but not uncommon on the IT domain...

I was an example of bad timing, bought CuBox Pro but the product ended immediately after.

I can confirm that it worked flawless and with good sonic performance for the price, in my system, using mubox...(mpd)

As a xbmc player is a bit slower that my laptops...

• 3 months later...

What I'm looking to do is put Logitech Media Server on a CuBox or other tiny computer instead of having it run on my ReadyNAS, which is painfully slow. But you've replaced the Touch altogether? What display replaces the touchscreen on the Touch?

I replaced my Squeezebox Touch with the cubox (ubuntu with MPD) connected to my Benchmark DAC2 HGC. Very good sound.

• 4 months later...

I am running the Cubox i4 since a few months now. Installed archlinux and MPD. Great sounding player even with the walwart smps compared to my larger E350M mobo based PC running a CM 350W PSU. Quieter background lower noise floor and all the benefits that come from it across the frequency range. I guess the thing did exactly what I anticipated - lower EMI/RF. The E350M is now my remote NFS server and the MPD on cubox is simply playing all the files on its HDD using a remote mount.

Now I am really hooked and considering DRC with having multiple systems always on what with the lower power consumption, it doesnt pinch.

Next week I am going to power it from a 2.1amp usb battery power pack instead of the wallwart.

Also switching to a realtime kernel with MPD like my older E350M tomorrow for comparison. On the e350M there was clearly an improvement, but I need to confirm the belief on this little box.

G0bble