IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Introduction

phenomenal write up chris in terms of objectives and guiding principles for caps 3..no better way to kickstart the launch..with four different versions I am sure caps 3 would have something for everyone at diff. price points.

now i guess the devil is in the details. now eagerly waiting for the spec/details on each of the models listed above. :) :)

great job chris.

Besides focussing on the hardware side of this server, I would like to mention that OS and software are as critical to squeeze every bit perfectly out of a music server. I am a happy CAPS 2 server user, but only recently got the best out of it by installing and heavily tweaking Linux on it. Wasn't as happy with Windows (and ,even, tried (H)Macintosh/Amarra on it). But perhaps some other community members have even beter suggestions in this area. I suggest a part of the community will try to find out the best practices. Especially when I read Chris' notes on capacity for room correction etc which will not be trivial to set up software-wise.

Chris, looking forward to read about the 4 new servers and thank you very much for your effort so far.

Sounds like there's (may be) good consideration for storage, would be good to have at least 1TB available w/lagoon on up for those who want to burn in their CD collections in AIFF or something far better than lossless. And also, a summary of or at least some consideration for how much difference (if any) using only SSD for storage actually makes to the sound? e.g. Meridien Sooloos base level now has a 1TB capacity built in (as well as their excellent software), but at $4,000 SooLong to SooLoos - it's beyond (most) of us. So are we looking at C.A.P.S. 3 PLUS network attached storage still? $2-$3K. Or will any of this levels provide for drives built-in?

Denon 3930 CD > Arcam AVR 350 >>; iPod Classic (Apple Lossless)>PeachTree iDac>>Arcam AVR 350; Spotify Premium>PeachTree iDac>>Arcam AVR 350; to GoldenEar Triton 3 (main) and Sonos Play 5's (study, kitchen)

I am curious how the final implementation will look like.

Have you considered designing a model (or maybe you have already) with real tweaks in (electrical) design instead of using of the shelf computer parts ?

I made myself a clean 5V USB power based on a LM317 regulated supply using the internal 12 Volt from the ATX power.

Foto-6FOES6MZ-D.jpg

Foto-SEDPF3LG-D.jpg

My Lindemann DAC needs this 5 Volt for the USB receiver chip.

With clean power - and less disturbance on the signal leads - it is a cheap upgrade if you build it yourself.

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

Chris,

I can't thank you enough, from the CA community, that you have put together this V3 series of implementations, and that you have nicely spelled out the goals and objectives. This is no cut-n-paste from V2, and is clearly not just a tech update. As one who learns a lot from you (especially when building the V2+ as I called it) I am excited to see the new ideas. This is great stuff!!

Chris-

Sounds great. It's pretty clear that you've taken to heart the varying needs and desires of the CA community by making the 4 different designs.

Can't wait to see the designs. Thanks

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hello Chris, even though I havn´t even got my CAPS v2.1 yet, as US and German customs need their time to handle it, I perused your words about the models of the new CAPS v3. Apart from the technical aspects we are looking forward to it has been a pleasure to read about your almost philosophical attitude as to whom CAPS belongs and how it´s boundaries can be pushed to the next audiophile level. Calling on for everybody "to join in the party" and make competent contributions to the project is a great idea and the basis for further success, I am convinced. All the best, Uwe

I too would like to express sincere gratitude for your efforts with the CAPS designs. My CAPS v2 is one of the best audio purchases I've ever made. I had no idea what I was missing until I heard it in my system.

I'm really hoping to see interesting cases and a tweak guide for Windows 8 with the v3 designs.

Why don't you publish the design under a GPL or creative commons. That way you'll be sure no one else can seize the work.

Very good idea...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"Why don't you publish the design under a GPL or creative commons. That way you'll be sure no one else can seize the work.

+1 Makes sense....

It would allow at least clarity on what IS CAPS3 and what IS a derivative (of which there are likely to be many, which is the purpose..)

@Chris... this is a GD cliff-hanger.. !

Looking forward..

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

..... I am a happy CAPS 2 server user, but only recently got the best out of it by installing and heavily tweaking Linux on it. Wasn't as happy with Windows (and ,even, tried (H)Macintosh/Amarra on it). But perhaps some other community members have even beter suggestions in this area. I suggest a part of the community will try to find out the best practices. ....

Great thought & on the dot with what Chris would want the CA community to share.

Can you somehow share your Linux build here on CA? Preferably in a way that the not so Linux savvy folks like me (I can start a terminal and copy-paste commands.. that's about it) can run it..?

Hans

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

+1 Makes sense....

It would allow at least clarity on what IS CAPS3 and what IS a derivative (of which there are likely to be many, which is the purpose..)

@Chris... this is a GD cliff-hanger.. !

Looking forward..

Chris has made clear that the idea of the CAPS series is to leverage off-the-shelf components and encourage the widest possible readership to build a computer player that aims to mitigate some of the problems presented by stock computers. The genius of the CAPS recipes is that they have been so successful in popularising the subject, and creating such a strong community of creative developers. They have given people confidence in DIY building. And the internet is better for it.

But to apply for CCL, you have to prove originality: or at least your own, identifiable 'special sauce'. In this regard, I think we're all indebted to CMP whose 2007 recipe blazed the trial - followed two years later by our first DAT1 recipe and, in 2010, the first generation CAPS. Although they were not really original, they were at least easier to follow than the rather daunting CMP instructions! The June 2011 CAPS 2.0 followed on from our second generation DAT1 shortly after the launch of the SOtM card that, at the time, offered a breakthrough in USB performance. Again, we're all indebted to SOtM for that one. Similarly, our third generation T1 recipe contains little that is original and nothing that is proprietary: the breakthrough this time comes courtesy of another card manufacturer and advent of Atom-bettering processors: thanks to Adnaco and Intel!

We're all fascinated to see what you've been cooking up over there, Chris . . . but as he has said, the real beauty of these things is putting them out there to see how they evolve into something smarter. As TimBL tweeted at the Olympic opening ceremony a few months ago: 'this is for everyone'.