IGNORED

Why isn't the high-end industry doing more to save itself?

joelha

IF you can get a schematic of the XO, each components value can be measured against OEM spec and replaced if needed. I think there's already someone offering rebuilds commercially. Check audiokarma.org

Unfortunately there are no schematics available for this particular model.I am more than capable of upgrading the crossovers, but these things aren't easy to open without being damaged.Some are supposed to have a big bolt, but others don't Even the drivers are glued in too.There is also talk about knocking the top off to gain access.Another problem is the availability of suitable replacement "socks".

There have been discussions in DIYAudio about similar problems with a few of the DCM models.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Woo hoo... Another thread distorting into Windows vs MacOS X :-)

And car analogies too :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

(grin) Well, one difference. When a Winders machine blows something, like a DVD writer, where do you take it to get it fixed, for free if it is a year old or less? Where can you buy a warrant on a Winders PC for say, $249, that extends that warranty to 3 years, and more, also provides break.fix support for Winders and all Microsoft apps?

Paul

Hook, line, and sinker ! (grin)

Many local vendors provide generous FREE warranties with back to base support.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

You state opinion as if it were fact mate.

Firstly, I said 25 seconds, not 17. Secondly, a toolless side panel on a PC case opens in just 1 second, maybe less. Thirdly, SATA drives are both hotswappable and PnP, i.e. no powering down the system and no driver installation required. Fourthly, a Black & Decker powered screwdriver might perhaps not fit your idea of "high end", but it sure does get the job done faster. Fifthly, I don't have a spare DVD writer because DVD writers almost belong in a museum, but since three of my PCs are still equipped with a DVD writer, if one of 'em splodes it doesn't matter to me anyway.

In every respct save one, I think MacOS is a far superior OS to Winders.

Adobe Photoshop on a 2.7 GHz Macbook Pro 13" (2011) or a MacBook Air 13" (2011) is 15 percent faster with Windows 7 than with OS X Lion. Adobe Premiere on the Air with Windows 7 is faster than on the Pro with OS X Lion. There are other apps which typically will be faster on OS X, but that doesn't make OS X superior. Software compatibility and availability matters alot also. Alot of apps on the Mac are severely lacking in advanced features, and in fact I even avoid using Linux for this reason also.

If you had the memory of a goldfish, maybe it would work.
Firstly, I said 25 seconds, not 17. Secondly, a toolless side panel on a PC case opens in just 1 second, maybe less. Thirdly, SATA drives are both hotswappable and PnP, i.e. no powering down the system and no driver installation required. Fourthly, a Black & Decker powered screwdriver might perhaps not fit your idea of "high end", but it sure does get the job done faster. Fifthly, I don't have a spare DVD writer because DVD writers almost belong in a museum, but since three of my PCs are still equipped with a DVD writer, if one of 'em splodes it doesn't matter to me anyway.

Still amazing at 25 seconds. It would take me signifigantly longer on any machine I have here, even Rack based servers with tooless entry and changeout. Heck it even takes more than a minute to change out a blown drive in the SAN. :)

Adobe Photoshop on a 2.7 GHz Macbook Pro 13" (2011) or a MacBook Air 13" (2011) is 15 percent faster with Windows 7 than with OS X Lion. Adobe Premiere on the Air with Windows 7 is faster than on the Pro with OS X Lion. There are other apps which typically will be faster on OS X, but that doesn't make OS X superior. Software compatibility and availability matters alot also. Alot of apps on the Mac are severely lacking in advanced features, and in fact I even avoid using Linux for this reason also.[/Quote]

I look at OS from a different perspective, in terms of what sevices they provide to applications and developers, how reliabe they are, how well they scale, etc. I would be a bit interested in those advanced features you mentioned, I can not think of many, but then, I don't use either of those apps on Windows. Do use Adobe Livecycle under Windows.

In my point of view tough, I look at things like how easily can I cluster these machines together, sharing DASD and processsor resources. Clustering Windows is a non-trivial task, to understate the matter. :) For software availability, if you mean choice of application programs, I agree Windows by far has the most choices.

That changes dramatically when you look at what is included with Unix (including MacOS) and Windows, which is where I expect I form my judgements.

Mail servers, NFS, an unknown but very large number of open source programs and utilities. Just for example, how would you count the number of lines in a text file under Windows? How about if you had to do it in a batch file program? Under most any Unix, you woukd use the "wc" program. "wc -l <filename>" for example. Not only does that work under MacOS, that works under Linux, AIX, HP-UX, and so on. To me that is more what I consider availability, albeit an utterly trivial example.

I suppose the point is, that just like high end audio gear, OS preferences are going to depend upon your experiences, preferences, and needs. To me, having vi, a c compiler, telnet, ssh, java, etc. immediately available without having to go find third party software is an important consideration, along with hardware reliability, crash reliability, and other such factors.

In a machine used soley as a music server, things like Firewire availability, OS Cost, warranty, repair, support, and reliability take precedence over having a C compiler installed. (grin)

For me, the equation still comes down heavily in MacOS.

In the audio industry, I think Linux is becoming pre-eminnent. I can not think of any hi end audio device that uses embedded Windows, and several that use embedded Linux. I can think of a few, like CAPS and Emerald that use Windows, and a few that use Macs, but embedded? Linux seems to be the top choice for DACs, players, servers, etc.

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Still amazing at 25 seconds. It would take me signifigantly longer on any machine I have here, even Rack based servers with tooless entry and changeout. Heck it even takes more than a minute to change out a blown drive in the SAN. :)

I'm amazed that it doesn't take more than 25 seconds to clear a space on the desk...

In the audio industry, I think Linux is becoming pre-eminnent. I can not think of any hi end audio device that uses embedded Windows, and several that use embedded Linux. I can think of a few, like CAPS and Emerald that use Windows, and a few that use Macs, but embedded? Linux seems to be the top choice for DACs, players, servers, etc.

Just for the record, I believe Naim UnitiServe / HDX and NS range use embedded Windows...

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Enough of the off topic banter. Start your own thread and I'll move the comments to said thread if needed.

Thank you a second time Chris for intervening with another reminder. The OP has chosen not to make a request to stay on topic; and I would not presume to speak for the OP or for you. I am, however, speaking as a CA member.

Not long ago at this very thread, I voiced how tedious the off-topic banter has become. Notwithstanding the request and based on subsequent posts the discernment of what constitutes off-topic is apparently open to interpretation. Whether or not my own remarks are received as well meaning, off-topic posts, I believe, have become an issue more in their persistence than in honoring reminders to avoid them.

I know "best intentions" is highly overrated. My intention while well-meaning is to call attention to what is often being ignored.

Best,

Richard

Enough of the off topic banter. Start your own thread and I'll move the comments to said thread if needed.

I agree Chris ... though sometimes I can't help myself...

I think I've come up with a rule of thumb... think to yourself "will my comment continue a 'oh yes it is'; 'oh no it isn't' pantomime sketch - if so don't reply...

Eloise

Eloise

---

To help put this conversation back on topic, what I was originally thinking when I posted this topic is why the more prominent high-end players don't organize to conduct a national promotion for better sounding audio. I'm not a marketing guy so I can't speak to what the successful angles would be. But some thoughts might be giving audio stores primers on how to conduct seminars for younger (20's and 30's) Ipod, etc. listeners on the benefits of lossless sound. Letting that audience hear what a really good thousand dollar system sounds like (Magnepan, NAD, and the like) could be an eye opener. A national advertising campaign might help although I realize it could be very expensive. Even some national meetings within the industry to discuss next steps could be a next step.

What frustrates me is that I'm not seeing any coordinated efforts to change the status quo.

What seems to be happening is that when times get tougher, the industry just tries to do exactly what it's been doing before, but maybe just a little bit harder.

Joel